Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Renoistic posted:

Any tips for Type-0? Mission 3 started out easy but soon most bigger enemies could oneshot/onecombo my characters. I had turn on Academy Backup half-way through and just barely beat the boss using Ifrit with only one character left alive.

Focus more on evading damage than dealing it. You can do a lot of damage with criticals when enemies are vulnerable and kill-sight, so if you aren't taking damage you can do a lot in terms of making opportunities to one shot or do very high damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

7 and 8 are and that's really only because they already had PC versions.

Wasn't 9 going to have a pc port that ended up canned? The shamest of shames since I think they were trying their best to make 9's not crap, too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Almost finished with Type-0, and I can just feel the PSP limitations really screwing with the game in story content. I'm hoping that since the game was meant to be played multiple times that the New game+ missions fill in the blanks, because there are a LOT of them.

Also the grinding sucks, really wish I had started with that save file that gives the double EXP thing.

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

Tae posted:

Almost finished with Type-0, and I can just feel the PSP limitations really screwing with the game in story content. I'm hoping that since the game was meant to be played multiple times that the New game+ missions fill in the blanks, because there are a LOT of them.

Also the grinding sucks, really wish I had started with that save file that gives the double EXP thing.

You should be able to cheat in an exp multiplier whether you're running it on an actual PSP or otherwise, look up how to use cwcheat for whatever platform you're on.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Aurain posted:

Focus more on evading damage than dealing it. You can do a lot of damage with criticals when enemies are vulnerable and kill-sight, so if you aren't taking damage you can do a lot in terms of making opportunities to one shot or do very high damage.

Thanks, I guess I need too play it more lika a character action game. Suits me fine since my favorite characters are the melee ones, like the punching guy. It's pretty fun to destroy magitek armor with a single punch. Getting stuck fighting a chopper with three melee fighters suck, though.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Volt Catfish posted:

Wasn't 9 going to have a pc port that ended up canned? The shamest of shames since I think they were trying their best to make 9's not crap, too.

FFIX actually has good deal of its master assets scattered through the portfolios of the artists who worked on the game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tae posted:

NG+ is supposed to replace a lot of the missions, or add missions that are character building and such.

Chapter 3's boss was the antithesis of enjoyable. Ugh.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sunning posted:

FFIX actually has good deal of its master assets scattered through the portfolios of the artists who worked on the game.

So SE never thought to put all the assets they paid for in a single archive? What is this, 1950's television?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Isn't that Japanese game design 101? This is a pretty common problem.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's not even just Japanese game design. A lot of pre-2000 developers just didn't store assets properly for a variety of reasons, or the assets were damaged, lost or misplaced.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dart posted:

You should be able to cheat in an exp multiplier whether you're running it on an actual PSP or otherwise, look up how to use cwcheat for whatever platform you're on.

I read that running cheats trigger some bullshit anti-cheating thing and the ones I looked up require resetting the game every time or something.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Bregor posted:

Heeeey, easy dere brudder, YA?

I'm pretty much done with the main story but Tidus and Wakka still won't shut the gently caress up during battle. Using Tidus to Flee while capturing 10 of every monster is especially terrible and I've pretty much benched him for Kimahri.

You still gets lots of AP from overdrive-AP plus slayer or victor; fleeing isn't efficient if you can OHKO the monsters even if you've already caught 10. Also killing instead of fleeing helps build up your karma bar for don tonberry levelling

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm finally starting to realise why the Expert Grid is so much better in FFX. Kimhari and Tidus both have Steal and Use and they're carrying on in that sort of direction. Wakka is pretty much same as usual though. Oh, and Yuna and Lulu both had -ra level Black Magic to drop on Gui's head.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

McDragon posted:

I'm finally starting to realise why the Expert Grid is so much better in FFX. Kimhari and Tidus both have Steal and Use and they're carrying on in that sort of direction. Wakka is pretty much same as usual though. Oh, and Yuna and Lulu both had -ra level Black Magic to drop on Gui's head.

Were you grinding a lot? I didn't get Wakka over to Steal/Use until about the same time Rikku joined. I sent Tidus down the white magic path and he didn't get to the -ra spells until Macalania.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Beef Waifu posted:

That makes me recall this one game the devs were TOTALLY DOWN to do a 3d remake for or something except...they lost all the original assets for it :downs:

I don't remember the name of the game but I think it was somewhat known

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Final Fantasy 13 as a universe has a common theme: Completely making GBS threads the bed at the end.

Holy poo poo, the jump from chapter 7 to 8 is like I missed like a whole disk or something. Goddamn I hope this HD version adds....anything explaining whatever the gently caress happened in the final chapter.

On the other hand, I hold tiny hope it's not a colossal shitstorm because it's a loop.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

There was a rumor floating around that the reason the GBA Mega Man Anniversary Collection was cancelled was Capcom straight up lost the source code entirely for the GB games.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

ImpAtom posted:

It's not even just Japanese game design. A lot of pre-2000 developers just didn't store assets properly for a variety of reasons, or the assets were damaged, lost or misplaced.

Even today asset storage can still be dodgy from developer to developer. Back in the 20th century, people just didn't think about the possibility or demand of HD remakes that much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

On the other hand, I hold tiny hope it's not a colossal shitstorm because it's a loop.

Prepare for disappointment.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

quote:

FF9 remake

MonsieurChoc posted:

If the original assets could be found, simply running them in their native resolution would upscale the game to HD.

I really hope someone at SE can make it happen, though. The HD assets available on the Internet look completely amazing.

There's a thread dedicated to it on NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551612 The thread makes it clear that FF9 was ill-served by its eventual target resolution. Enormous, almost shocking amounts of scene detail was lost, particularly in the towns.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There was a rumor floating around that the reason the GBA Mega Man Anniversary Collection was cancelled was Capcom straight up lost the source code entirely for the GB games.

This is also why we'll never get a release of Panzer Dragoon Saga on a console that people actually own :smith:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

KH HD was reprogrammed (or, reverse engineered) from scratch because they lost the source code, but still had the art assets. Killzone 1's source was being stored in a shoebox under one of the programmer's beds. Basically the only Japanese companies who ever did archiving before the last six years was Nintendo and Falcom.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

I really hope someone at SE can make it happen, though. The HD assets available on the Internet look completely amazing.

There's a thread dedicated to it on NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551612 The thread makes it clear that FF9 was ill-served by its eventual target resolution. Enormous, almost shocking amounts of scene detail was lost, particularly in the towns.
Wow, those are pretty.

Also, holy poo poo, I finally understand the rat chicks face in her picture on the right. I always thought her nose was her mouth and her right eye was her left eye. Turns out she's turning her head towards the camera and down, so her snout's profile isn't visible. She always looked freaky to me.

... Well, she's still a rat person, but you know what I mean.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Beef Waifu posted:

A lot of companies lose assets and game code due to poor archiving or the company undergoing restructuring. It's very rare for a game development company to proper store, such as Nintendo keeping the original design documents for the Legend of Zelda on the NES. SEGA allegedly lost the source code to the Panzer Dragoon games.

That's the good thing about programmers and artists who happen to be packrats.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I love that the houses in Black Mage Village look just like Black Mages. :3:

maou shoujo posted:

Were you grinding a lot? I didn't get Wakka over to Steal/Use until about the same time Rikku joined. I sent Tidus down the white magic path and he didn't get to the -ra spells until Macalania.

A little bit I guess. Overestimated Lord Ochu a bit so did a bit in Kilika, after Luca I ran out of money playing Blitzball and had to grind to rent a chocobo. I usually like to get Lulu to the -ras before Gui anyway, it was just funny to me that Yuna got there at about the same time with the Expert Grid. For Steal/Use I'd basically sent Kimhari over in that direction as soon as he joined up.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 15, 2014

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Friendly reminder that the Four Job Fiesta has officially started. Here's the SA thread for it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Does Tidus just have selective hearing or something? There's enough exposition to make your ears bleed about what happened LONG AGO TO CHAPPU WAKKA AND LULU but then he goes on to say "Well...whatever it was..."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

This is why the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions aren't nice HD setups. The original files they'd need for a full blown tune up are simply gone.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体
In FFX, I stumbled across a blitzball player named Linna (an Al Bhed girl on the road near Macalania Temple), and found that she makes a hilariously good midfielder.

She starts off knowing Nap Shot 3. It costs 350 HP to use, but once Linna has leveled up enough to be able to use it, she becomes crazy good. She gains EXP at a ridiculous pace, causing her to be level 33 for me when almost every other player in the league is still at or below level 15. She keeps getting faster too - at first she would get 20-30 EXP per blitzball game if you combine both halves, then 50, now she gets 80 EXP per game. She's decent to great at every stat except Catching which she doesn't need anyways, and at this point she easily scores goals from halfway across the field and outscores Tidus and Brother combined. It hasn't yet stopped being hilarious.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

I've just started playing FFXII for the first time. I'm a couple of hours in, and my overriding impression is that it's trying hard to fuse an MMORPG feel with the traditional single player FF experience. It doesn't feel very Final Fantasy-y to me at all. My other impression is that nobody in this world knows how to dress themselves. Any tips for going forward with the game ("abandon the game immediately" will also be taken under advisement)?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ozza posted:

I've just started playing FFXII for the first time. I'm a couple of hours in, and my overriding impression is that it's trying hard to fuse an MMORPG feel with the traditional single player FF experience. It doesn't feel very Final Fantasy-y to me at all. My other impression is that nobody in this world knows how to dress themselves. Any tips for going forward with the game ("abandon the game immediately" will also be taken under advisement)?

If you're really really not enjoying the MMO thing, it isn't really going to change as it goes further on. Also the clothes remain terrible.

Basically, FFXII is what you get. If you're not enjoying it by the time you rescue Ashe, you're probably not going to change your feeling on the game. Otherwise the biggest piece of advice is that playing FFXII: Zodiac Job edition with a translation patch is a big step up, if just for the inclusion of a fast forward button.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's a polarizing game. If after a few hours it doesn't gel for you, it's probably not going to.

Personally, I found the hunts, exploration, and voice work to be the strong points of the game. If those don't do it for you, I can't say there's much else for you. The characters are hit/miss, the story is decent but not great, and the battle system is just OK as well, though if you like the idea of building party AI, there's a decently built if-else system (the gambits) you might find interesting.

But like I said, if the game isn't doing it for you a few hours in, it probably just won't.

Bo Jackson
Jul 23, 2013
I just started playing Type-0 and for the most part I am enjoying Final Fantasy Dodgeball. However, there's a couple characters I don't really enjoy using. Would it behoove me to keep them leveled up with the rest of my squad, or can I let a couple slip through the cracks?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I started to play Crisis Core, but the amount of random battles is really getting to me, and the optional missions are seriously uninspiring and repetitive. The problem is, I'd like to see the story to the end, but without fighting it's impossible. And a Boss had one-shotted me with a cutscene attack from full normal health (not boosted above the normal level), which I think meant I was not well prepared.

What I'm trying to say, can someone walk me through applying cheat codes to PSP emulator, or at least direct me to an easy to use tutorial? I'll just slap some infinite HP or one shot kills code and be done with it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

As long as you have a good 6-7 people around the level requirement, you should be fine. The very last chapter requires you to use all your characters, but you can't fail so it'll be fine.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

bloodychill posted:

It's a polarizing game. If after a few hours it doesn't gel for you, it's probably not going to.

Personally, I found the hunts, exploration, and voice work to be the strong points of the game. If those don't do it for you, I can't say there's much else for you. The characters are hit/miss, the story is decent but not great, and the battle system is just OK as well, though if you like the idea of building party AI, there's a decently built if-else system (the gambits) you might find interesting.

But like I said, if the game isn't doing it for you a few hours in, it probably just won't.

On the other hand I was one of those types who hated XII when it first came out but later came to like it years later. It really depends on what you're looking out of an RPG, because after the linearity of XIII, XII felt like a breath of fresh air.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Szurumbur posted:

I started to play Crisis Core, but the amount of random battles is really getting to me, and the optional missions are seriously uninspiring and repetitive. The problem is, I'd like to see the story to the end, but without fighting it's impossible. And a Boss had one-shotted me with a cutscene attack from full normal health (not boosted above the normal level), which I think meant I was not well prepared.

What I'm trying to say, can someone walk me through applying cheat codes to PSP emulator, or at least direct me to an easy to use tutorial? I'll just slap some infinite HP or one shot kills code and be done with it.

You can skip most encounters by just sticking to the walls. Normal mode is really easy though, and you can always do optional missions if you feel underlevelled. Unskippable cutscenes and being kicked back to the title screen when you die made Hard mode too frustrating for me, since I'd have every pre-boss cutscene burned into my memory by the time I beat it.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Thanks for the replies about FFXII. I'm not exactly hating it at the moment, just that it's so far lacking the magic feeling I usually get from a Final Fantasy. I'll keep going for now.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

ozza posted:

Thanks for the replies about FFXII. I'm not exactly hating it at the moment, just that it's so far lacking the magic feeling I usually get from a Final Fantasy. I'll keep going for now.

Once you learn who the real main character it is, it gets better. And in my opinion, the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It gets better because you can enter into the debate as to who that character actually is.