Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

happyhippy posted:

BBC never open up political or 'real' stories for comments.
Only safe things like 'which celebrity do you look like?' and other tame poo poo.
Then again if they opened this one up the tidal wave of Blair hate would crash them.

Just looked at this story (How the hell does Blair keep straight which of his faces he is using? Ugh.) and it has over 800 comments right now (it was at 737 when I first read it).
Guess the BBC had some Damascene moment overnight (pun intended) and decided to stop their traditional practice of smothering debate? Or maybe your biased hyperbole overreached itself.

e: 1530 - Erasmus publishes De civilitate morum puerilium (A handbook on manners for children) - this is considered "a little too 'cutting edge' but with some interesting ideas" by one M. Gove (allegedly).

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Everybody please pretend I posted this a few days ago when it was relevant, in place of whatever nonsense I actually said (nws if your boss has no sense of humour):

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Everybody please pretend I posted this a few days ago when it was relevant, in place of whatever nonsense I actually said (nws if your boss has no sense of humour):

What am I looking at here? Why is Richard Dawkins dreaming of dogs 69-ing?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What am I looking at here? Why is Richard Dawkins dreaming of dogs 69-ing?

Because like 10 pages ago we were discussing piling-on dawkins and some tweet he made about the fact that dogs and fruit flies also enjoy oral sex.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jedit posted:

Spain didn't just lose to the worst team in their group. Uruguay now have to beat both England and Italy to get through, unless Costa Rica can also beat England.

5-1 though :( I'm no pundit but even I know that's a hell of a drubbing.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Ddraig posted:

Can we just physically separate England from the rest of the UK and push Wales, Scotland and Ireland together? It'll be great fun.

If everyone itt moves out of England I'll vote for that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I think that's the idea, yes.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

SybilVimes posted:

Because like 10 pages ago we were discussing piling-on dawkins and some tweet he made about the fact that dogs and fruit flies also enjoy oral sex.

Well I hear he's into dog piles so no harm done.

A Sloth posted:

If everyone itt moves out of England I'll vote for that.

You do realise that would include you too right?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Puntification posted:

You do realise that would include you too right?

It's alright A Sloth, we'll share our communal property with you :glomp:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
IDS isn't paying me enough so I've decided to break out the guitar and do some busking. I don't know how many Cardiff goons we have here but if you see me out on the streets come say hello and we'll have a coffee together or something. I'm the long haired dude that will be singing McCarthy songs outside jobcentres until they move me along.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

thehustler posted:

I really don't want to be "that guy" but can we please leave the football out of this thread? tia :)

Hey man! We had the Stanley cup talk from you! (By the way both the teams in the finals were arseholes, should have been redwings! :()

thehustler posted:

Who gives a poo poo about the World Cup when game one of the Stanley Cup Finals starts on Wednesday. New York vs Los Angeles. East coast vs West coast.

It really is the best cup competition. Also it was made in Sheffield!

When you win, during the off-season everybody on the team gets one day with the cup. You can take it to your home town. You can take it fishing on a boat. You can drink from it. One guy even had his son baptised in it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/the-10-oddest-places-the-stanley-cup-has-ever-visited?urn=nhl,wp6036

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEVdca9U9LM

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Pretend I posted this but video games. :shepface:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Fluo why's there a tiny moderator football by your name :ohdear:

I think you mean
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7u9hP4r1S8

Fluo
May 25, 2007

baka kaba posted:

Fluo why's there a tiny moderator football by your name :ohdear:

World Cup Mods, it's coming home!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDHNIn-XLKM
Two World wars and one World Cup, Doo Dah, Doo Dah, Two Worlds wars and one World Cups but you've won three World Cups, two Euro Championships and your economy's the strongest in Europe, so overall you're the best.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 16, 2014

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ddraig posted:

IDS isn't paying me enough so I've decided to break out the guitar and do some busking. I don't know how many Cardiff goons we have here but if you see me out on the streets come say hello and we'll have a coffee together or something. I'm the long haired dude that will be singing McCarthy songs outside jobcentres until they move me along.

I was in Cardiff on Saturday! Saw a couple of guys playing guitars on St Mary's Street, was one of them you?

I also saw a naked bike ride: 50-odd hippy types slowly cycling through the city centre shouting "Cardiff naked bike ride! Cardiff naked bike ride!" as if it wasn't perfectly obvious what was going on already.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Umiapik posted:

I was in Cardiff on Saturday! Saw a couple of guys playing guitars on St Mary's Street, was one of them you?

I also saw a naked bike ride: 50-odd hippy types slowly cycling through the city centre shouting "Cardiff naked bike ride! Cardiff naked bike ride!" as if it wasn't perfectly obvious what was going on already.

If it was recently, then probably not.

I've only recently had enough spare cash to not feel guilty about getting new guitar strings.

Kind of glad I didn't see the naked bike ride though

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Fluo posted:

Hey man! We had the Stanley cup talk from you! (By the way both the teams in the finals were arseholes, should have been redwings! :()

That's fair enough but we did it for like half a day and this is going to go on for ages :(

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

How do those naked bike rides get away with it, legally? Edinburgh had one too over the weekend. Isn't it indecent exposure or something?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Ddraig posted:

thehustler posted:

That's fair enough but we did it for like half a day and this is going to go on for ages :(

Misread these, thought the latter was a response to the former

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

thehustler posted:

How do those naked bike rides get away with it, legally? Edinburgh had one too over the weekend. Isn't it indecent exposure or something?

Not really. Indecent exposure isn't just nudity, it's specifically sexual and intended to offend. I think.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Brovine posted:

Not really. Indecent exposure isn't just nudity, it's specifically sexual and intended to offend. I think.

I did wonder that. So why do they continually arrest that Naked Rambler guy?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ddraig posted:

Well there was approx. one hot chick for every ten dangling penises, so it comes down to whether that's an acceptable trade-off for you or not.

thehustler posted:

Well yes, it is. They get away with it by 1) appearing and disappearing quickly and 2) taking advantage of safety in numbers: if they DO bump into a pair of patrolling police officers, there's no way that they can arrest 50 people all at once.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

thehustler posted:

I did wonder that. So why do they continually arrest that Naked Rambler guy?
because authority doesn't like being challenged. he makes a point of getting naked as soon as he's out of prison, when he's in the dock, etc. if you stick two fingers up to the law like that they don't like it.

also been done more for contempt of court, violating terms of an asbo, breach of the peace, rather than indecency.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fluo posted:

Did you ever draw it?

Yeah I did, but forgot to post it like a dummy

http://antlab.co.uk/sweepstake/c/166aa00f.html

quote:

Brovine - Honduras
Geokenesis - Belgium
Tortuga - Costa Rica
Bobstar - USA
Rolled Cabbage - Italy
Pilchenstein - Colombia
Joylessjester - Greece
Spangly A - Netherlands
TinTower - Chile
Trickjaw - Iran
Fluo - Spain
Munin - Brazil
RaythFalstar - Ecuador
Stelas - Portugal
Loonytoad Quack - Korea
Gonzo McFee - Russia
Alecto - Cameroon
Leggsy - Mexico
Crane Fist - Switzerland
goddamnedtwisto - Argentina
KayTee - Nigeria
Wayfaring Stranger - Japan
baka kaba - England
Marenghi - Algeria
Mourning Due - Ivory Coast
Tragic Peculiar - Germany

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
FOR THE MOTHERLAND!

:ussr:

Almost Ordinary
May 17, 2010
Ecuador!? Ah man, I hope whoever gets my fiver gives it to a decent charity. :(

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Umiapik posted:

Well there was approx. one hot chick for every ten dangling penises, so it comes down to whether that's an acceptable trade-off for you or not.

Well yes, it is. They get away with it by 1) appearing and disappearing quickly and 2) taking advantage of safety in numbers: if they DO bump into a pair of patrolling police officers, there's no way that they can arrest 50 people all at once.

IIRC they also provide notice - that helps. There's a park I visited just the other day that had a sign outside, and I quote - I took a photo -

quote:

Today visitors are welcome to enjoy the gardens with or without clothes as they prefer.
[...]
Our apologies to any visitor for whom this is an inconvenience

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mfcrocker posted:

quote:

Crane Fist - Switzerland

poo poo! At least my team will probably make the first round and get the chance to be knocked out by Argentina.

Also my gran was Swiss so I've got as much claim to supporting them as any other team still in it.

On sporting matters and national pride and naked dudes, the England vs. the All Blacks test was held in my city the other day and beforehand was the apparently traditional and completely unofficial curtain raiser in the form of a naked rugby match. The Nude Blacks vs an English invitational team that seemed to be made up of seven snowmen. The English lost 24-19, incidentally, probably as a result of being doughy at best.

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jun 16, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Umiapik posted:

In my experience the people most likely to get their kit off anywhere are the ones that have no business being naked at any time, even in the privacy of their own homes.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Just about sums it up.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Why people hate sun? We no understand.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

gently caress it thats pretty funny, he's such a gently caress up.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Ddraig posted:

Why people hate sun? We no understand.

Called it earlier. He's now alienated both critics of the Sun as well as the Sun itself, leaving himself in a worse position than before. He should either have never agreed to the photo op, or if he agreed to it, not immediately apologised for it. It's made him look (even more) ridiculous.

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
Well before moving to the UK I spent 2 years in Japan, so I don't need any extra reasons to cheer for Glorious Nippon :japan:

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.
Ed Milliband is a fool for doing that Sun promotion for all the reasons people have said, but I think it's bad that there has been so little criticism of Cameron and Clegg for doing the same thing. I realise that there are special reasons to criticise Milliband here, but the fact remains that all three major party leaders have participated in a promotional campaign for the Sun. If they were all asked by Coca Cola to be photographed drinking Coke everyone would consider that completely inappropriate.

Obviously, Clegg and Cameron aren't being criticised here because the media wouldn't criticise Clegg and Cameron for participating in a media-run promotional campaign, but I don't see how what they've done is different in principle from a Coke promotion. I accept that newspapers aren't just products to be promoted like cans of coke are: politicians can obviously validly talk to newspapers and undertake interviews with their journalists. But in this case it was a straightforward advertising campaign by the Sun. Would Clegg and Cameron appear in a TV advert for The Sun as well?

Edit: I'm not entirely clear what the law is on this. The fact that Boris Johnson can have a column in the Telegraph suggests there's nothing legally wrong a politician being paid to write in a newspaper. So if Cameron was paid to appear in an advert for the Sun, would that be illegal?

Whitefish fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 16, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm far more annoyed that during the closing days of a trial with several of News International's top personnel and personal friends of David Cameron on trial that all the top politicians of all the major parties have decided to pose with News International's flagship paper. The fact that that's not a top story is criminal.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I believe that in every single photo of Cameron where he's being a man of the people and drinking a pint or eating a pasty or whatever it's an amazing coincidence that any labelling on the product is always facing the camera. It's unbelievable how such a thing can consistently happen by chance.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah I did, but forgot to post it like a dummy

http://antlab.co.uk/sweepstake/c/166aa00f.html

Hmm. Now I have to cheer on Argentina. For someone who has the 1986 World Cup as one of his formative footballing memories, this might hurt a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Whitefish posted:

Ed Milliband is a fool

You needn't have gone further than this really.

• Locked thread