Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Nederlands :getin:

My dutch girlfriend goes home tomorrow after meeting my family and we won't be living in the same country until march :smith:

For what I hope are obvious reasons, I've mostly not had a chance to pay any remote attention to newspapers. Aside from Iraq doing it's thing. Is my prediction of lots of poo poo things being buried bearing much fruit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Ddraig posted:

I believe that in every single photo of Cameron where he's being a man of the people and drinking a pint or eating a pasty or whatever it's an amazing coincidence that any labelling on the product is always facing the camera. It's unbelievable how such a thing can consistently happen by chance.

Sounds like you've blown this conspiracy wide open!

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Spangly A posted:

For what I hope are obvious reasons, I've mostly not had a chance to pay any remote attention to newspapers. Aside from Iraq doing it's thing. Is my prediction of lots of poo poo things being buried bearing much fruit?
The Lib Dems took the opportunity to bury a new CleggPromiseTM on education spending: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/16/lib-dem-pledge-education-spending

quote:

Nick Clegg has pledged to protect education spending on children and teenagers "from cradle to college".

Unveiling the first commitment of the Liberal Democrat manifesto for next year's general election, the deputy prime minister pledged to protect an extra £10bn of education spending on top of commitments delivered in this parliament by the coalition.

Other than that, there hasn't been anything much beyond Carney making more "alarming noises" about imminent interest rate rises.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

mfcrocker posted:

Brovine - Honduras

Welp. Sorry, St Clare's Cancer Hospice, but I don't think I'll be winning that one!

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

This is a c&p, not mine but its good to see it all in one lump lest yee forget. This is from poster ipse on the guardian comments.

quote:

Nick Clegg & the broken LibDem promises since 2010:

Broken promises from the 2010 Lib Dem manifesto

– Scrap tuition fees by 2016
– Immediate end of fees for final year students
– Put 3,000 more police on beat
– Introduce a Single Transferable Vote system for elections to Parliament
– Reform the House of Lords
– Reduce the number of MPs
– Introduce votes for 16 year olds
– Require all MPs, Lords and candidates to pay tax
– Extend winter fuel payments to severely disabled people (disabled people face significant losses under Tory/ LibDem Government’s welfare cuts)
– Transfer economic development powers of RDAs to councils
– Invest £400m in refurbishing shipyards to manufacture wind turbines
– Make grants and loans available to bring 250,000 homes back into use
– Cut rail fares (average 4.2% increase in fares in Jan ’13 alone)
– Integrate health and social care (the top-down NHS restructure prevents this happening)
– Break up the banks
– Introduce a mansions tax (they failed to support in March 2013)

Broken public commitments

– Promised to veto plans to cut the top rate of income tax – but voted for it
– Claimed to oppose the controversial Health Bill – but voted for it
– Suggested the Welfare Reform Bill would break up families – but voted for it
– Claimed to oppose cuts but supported Government cuts
– Opposed a reduction in police numbers – but voted for cuts
– Claimed to want to protect secure tenancies for council tenants – but failed to vote on this issue.
– Claimed to oppose the freezing of benefits – then froze them below inflation even for disabled people
– Claimed EMA cuts wouldn’t affect access to education
– LibDems claim to work hard to tackle poverty – but voted to cut support for disabled people (a third of disabled people already live in poverty in the UK)

I can sort of understand the first section, after all they didnt have a majority so just couldnt do it, no idea if they actually tried putting any of that stuff through (apart from vote reform, which as I understand was basically the bribe from the torys) its the 2nd section that irks me. To vote for something as a block requires the whip doesnt it? Have there actually been any full on 'rebellions' against a Tory bill?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hmm. Now I have to cheer on Argentina. For someone who has the 1986 World Cup as one of his formative footballing memories, this might hurt a bit.

I got ENGERLAND somehow - if you like and if it's not against the rules you can swap with me, like when we swap ownership of Las Malvinas later. ¡Adelante!

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Milliband was in a classic catch 22

Don't do the photo op. As the only leader not posing with the sun he would be branded as not supporting England

Do it. Get done over by Hillsborough.

He needs to take the fight much more to the conservatives, but he can't fight on the economy because the numbers appear to show a recovery.

I recently read the diaries of a new labour spin doctor for the first Blair election, and there are a lot of interesting parallels. Especially to do with Scotland.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
So what would people have done here if they were Miliband with the photo op? Honestly?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Apparently asking prices for houses in London have fallen by 0.5% this month.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

thehustler posted:

So what would people have done here if they were Miliband with the photo op? Honestly?

Done the photo.

Liverpool isn't going to go Tory over a single photo, and could stand to realise that they've been played by The Scum as much as Ed was.

Easier to mea culpa to Liverpool, than to have "Didn't support England, Dad was a Commie England-hating immigrant" in the public mind in the run up to an election. And you know the Heil, Scum and Telegraph would have brought it up constantly (the context lost of course).

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

thehustler posted:

So what would people have done here if they were Miliband

Self immolation

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

HortonNash posted:

Done the photo.

Liverpool isn't going to go Tory over a single photo, and could stand to realise that they've been played by The Scum as much as Ed was.

Easier to mea culpa to Liverpool, than to have "Didn't support England, Dad was a Commie England-hating immigrant" in the public mind in the run up to an election. And you know the Heil, Scum and Telegraph would have brought it up constantly (the context lost of course).

Alternatively, not done the photo, but made either a small press conference, or statement, expressing support and best wishes to the England team, while saying that it would be inappropriate for a leader of a political party to be ostensibly advertising a newspaper, particularly during ongoing legal proceedings. You express support, as well as both making the other politicians look bad and refocus attention on the newspaper's misdoings at the same time.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
^ that's easily the better option. Just curious!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Pesmerga posted:

Alternatively, not done the photo, but made either a small press conference, or statement, expressing support and best wishes to the England team, while saying that it would be inappropriate for a leader of a political party to be ostensibly advertising a newspaper, particularly during ongoing legal proceedings. You express support, as well as both making the other politicians look bad and refocus attention on the newspaper's misdoings at the same time.

That's a direct declaration of war on News International. I don't expect them to support Labour, but doing what you suggest is akin to poking a tiger in the eye with your cock.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

thehustler posted:

Taken a stand, called them out for 1) Hillsborough, 2) Being owned by Rupert Murdoch, Hacker Boss, 3) Exploitation of Women via Page 3.

Would also have thrown a dig at Cameron for it being no wonder he was happy to pose in the shot, what with him being so close and cushy with Brooks, Coulson and Murdoch.

Honestly, telling the Sun to go gently caress itself for the above reasons would have probably given him a bigger boost than going with it.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Metrication posted:

Apparently asking prices for houses in London have fallen by 0.5% this month.
Quick, cut interest rates to -6% and raise the HtB limit to £3m, we've got to win the next election /Osborne

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Seaside Loafer posted:

This is a c&p, not mine but its good to see it all in one lump lest yee forget. This is from poster ipse on the guardian comments.

I can sort of understand the first section, after all they didnt have a majority so just couldnt do it, no idea if they actually tried putting any of that stuff through (apart from vote reform, which as I understand was basically the bribe from the torys) its the 2nd section that irks me. To vote for something as a block requires the whip doesnt it? Have there actually been any full on 'rebellions' against a Tory bill?

In fairness to the Lib Dems, they didn't break their electoral reform promises insomuch as Labour and the Tories broke theirs. There's only so much a party of 57 MPs can do when they have 570 others openly collaborating against them.

The rest is accurate, though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

thehustler posted:

Print out a picture of Kelvin MacKenzie, paint my arse with the union flag, take a poo poo on the picture and wipe my arse with the special.

Everyone wins. It would probably end my political career but what a way to go out

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

thehustler posted:

(nicked)

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

HortonNash posted:

That's a direct declaration of war on News International. I don't expect them to support Labour, but doing what you suggest is akin to poking a tiger in the eye with your cock.

That's exactly the kind of attitude that NI get their power from, the idea that any feeble statement, no matter how mild, could be seen as an attack on NI and thus provoke negative headlines.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Contains rules for Prime Minister Edward Milliband and other fictional characters.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Think I have this issue

Fluo
May 25, 2007

TinTower posted:

In fairness to the Lib Dems, they didn't break their electoral reform promises insomuch as Labour and the Tories broke theirs. There's only so much a party of 57 MPs can do when they have 570 others openly collaborating against them.

The rest is accurate, though.

The Orange Book: Reclaiming Liberalism, they love the idea of privatizing the NHS, Prisons, Pensions and other public things.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Fluo posted:

The Orange Book: Reclaiming Liberalism, they love the idea of privatizing the NHS, Prisons, Pensions and other public things.

Yeah, which is why I said the rest is accurate. You can't really blame the lack of electoral reform this Parliament on Clegg, though.

(Although, that said, the Orange Book is basically the same as Blue Labour: an ideological faction with current hold over their parties, including their leaders and their frontbenchers being well versed in the politics.)

TinTower fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 16, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

TinTower posted:

Yeah, which is why I said the rest is accurate. You can't really blame the lack of electoral reform this Parliament on Clegg, though.

(Although, that said, the Orange Book is basically the same as Blue Labour: an ideological faction with current hold over their parties, including their leaders and their frontbenchers being well versed in the politics.)

What I mean is, most if the Libdem power players at the moment are on the liberal end of the liberal democrats. That's why when back in 2007 Libdems were voting on who would be there leader it was kind of obvious it didn't matter because both Nick Clegg and Chris Huhne are orange bookers and the vote was pretty much split, 500votes or so difference. Vince Cable, David Laws, Chris Huhne, Nick Clegg, Susan Kramer, Mark Oaten, Paul Marshall (free market investor, also father of one of the Mumford & Son dweebs) and Edward Davey all have been high up in the Libdems ranks or are still are. Electoral reform no, but them breaking their pledge with tuition fees was pretty obvious not just in the Tories interest but also the Libdem's Orange Bookers political idealogical interest, I called it even before the election.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

nuzak posted:

That's exactly the kind of attitude that NI get their power from, the idea that any feeble statement, no matter how mild, could be seen as an attack on NI and thus provoke negative headlines.

No, they get their power from owning the most read newspaper in the UK.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

I got ENGERLAND somehow - if you like and if it's not against the rules you can swap with me, like when we swap ownership of Las Malvinas later. ¡Adelante!

Soz, chance of winning easily outweighs love of country. Although if Messi handballs a goal in against England to win the final I might have to change my choice of charity to the Royal Marines Benevolent Fund.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is that the Pope's name?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Just wondering if someone could explain this properly to me, as clear information on it doesn't seem to be easy to come by. Obviously, anyone can stand for parliament in the general election if they're willing to put forward a deposit, but they're very, very unlikely to win the vote if they stand as independents/members of small parties. How then does one get themselves nominated as a candidate for one of the big three? Does it differ between parties? Is it a case of joining up and getting yourself noticed in campaigns etc? Or are there actual interviews with senior party folk that anyone (/any member) can apply for? Or is it just a case of knowing the right people? The party websites are perfectly clear about who they are nominating, but less so on how exactly they got to that position.

Not that I'm actually considering trying for that sort of stuff, just something I was thinking about the other day. The fact that the nominated candidates all seem to just appear with no real explanation as to how they earned the privilege might well be a major factor behind voter alienation etc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Just wondering if someone could explain this properly to me, as clear information on it doesn't seem to be easy to come by. Obviously, anyone can stand for parliament in the general election if they're willing to put forward a deposit, but they're very, very unlikely to win the vote if they stand as independents/members of small parties. How then does one get themselves nominated as a candidate for one of the big three? Does it differ between parties? Is it a case of joining up and getting yourself noticed in campaigns etc? Or are there actual interviews with senior party folk that anyone (/any member) can apply for? Or is it just a case of knowing the right people? The party websites are perfectly clear about who they are nominating, but less so on how exactly they got to that position.

Not that I'm actually considering trying for that sort of stuff, just something I was thinking about the other day. The fact that the nominated candidates all seem to just appear with no real explanation as to how they earned the privilege might well be a major factor behind voter alienation etc.

Differs between parties in detail but the broad steps are much the same. Candidates are either selected from a "local list" by the constituency party or, for the safest seats, are "parachuted in" by the national party.

So assuming you don't have the time, money, or family connections for the latter and want to go with the former, you start as a volunteer - canvassing, stuffing envelopes, observing counts, that sort of thing. From there you can possibly go for an actual salaried role (Labour have the most of these, the Tories the least) or internship within the party machine as an assistant to an MP, which may eventually lead you to the heady heights of SPAD-dom from where being parachuted in might be possible.

The more conventional route though is once you've got your feet under the table in the local machine you can try to get yourself a council seat (and this can often be the most vicious and political part of the process). Do your job well as a councilor and, well, you'll probably disappear into worthy obscurity, but earhole the right people in the regional machine, get good at golf, join the right Masonic lodges and learn to laugh at the local constituency party leader's godawful jokes and maybe you might get onto a local list (and then get some fat-faced school chum of the Deputy Chairman parachuted in over you).

Notice that at no point in this process are things like competence, knowledge, or basic human decency required or even particularly advantageous.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Differs between parties in detail but the broad steps are much the same. Candidates are either selected from a "local list" by the constituency party or, for the safest seats, are "parachuted in" by the national party.

So assuming you don't have the time, money, or family connections for the latter and want to go with the former, you start as a volunteer - canvassing, stuffing envelopes, observing counts, that sort of thing. From there you can possibly go for an actual salaried role (Labour have the most of these, the Tories the least) or internship within the party machine as an assistant to an MP, which may eventually lead you to the heady heights of SPAD-dom from where being parachuted in might be possible.

The more conventional route though is once you've got your feet under the table in the local machine you can try to get yourself a council seat (and this can often be the most vicious and political part of the process). Do your job well as a councilor and, well, you'll probably disappear into worthy obscurity, but earhole the right people in the regional machine, get good at golf, join the right Masonic lodges and learn to laugh at the local constituency party leader's godawful jokes and maybe you might get onto a local list (and then get some fat-faced school chum of the Deputy Chairman parachuted in over you).

Notice that at no point in this process are things like competence, knowledge, or basic human decency required or even particularly advantageous.

Thank you for this. I am now very angry.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
With Labour you also have to take into account the National Executive Committee who will decide whether it's an All Women's Shortlist (which is the case near me even though local members protested strongly against it) or an open selection.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Thank you for this. I am now very angry.

Why?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

goddamnedtwisto posted:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

tdrules posted:

With Labour you also have to take into account the National Executive Committee who will decide whether it's an All Women's Shortlist (which is the case near me even though local members protested strongly against it) or an open selection.

Most (not all - there are plenty of sexist old dinosaurs out there after all) of the objections to all-woman shortlists came because they were often used as a stealth means of parachuting NEC-approved candidates into safe seats.

It's worth pointing out that none of the parties ever actually admit to parachuting people in - it just so happens that the local party is wholeheartedly behind one particular candidate who happens to have worked at the same PR company as the leader of the party, to the point where they often unanimously elect him before he's even set foot in the constituency. That the national party then happens to help them out with the printing bill in the really tight local elections not long after that is purely coincidental.

(It's interesting as an aside to that to see how the massive increase in the cost of elections has almost entirely homogenised party structures this century - until very very recently (late 90s) all three main parties gathered the majority of their budgets from local parties and membership dues, giving the local parties (and the unions for Labour) an almost completely free hand in candidate selection. This is why some back benchers were so likely to revolt, as we last saw with the Eurosceptics at the end of the Major years; withdrawal of the whip held no fear whatsoever if the local constituency or your union were behind you because - if you stayed excommunicated - you could easily afford to finance your own independent campaign and indeed the national party would be hurt by the loss of your constituency funds. Nowadays most of the party budgets come from corporate donations to the national party so the constituencies are reliant on the central party, so everyone gets in lock-step as soon as the whips so much as look funny at them)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(It's interesting as an aside to that to see how the massive increase in the cost of elections has almost entirely homogenised party structures this century - until very very recently (late 90s) all three main parties gathered the majority of their budgets from local parties and membership dues, giving the local parties (and the unions for Labour) an almost completely free hand in candidate selection. This is why some back benchers were so likely to revolt, as we last saw with the Eurosceptics at the end of the Major years; withdrawal of the whip held no fear whatsoever if the local constituency or your union were behind you because - if you stayed excommunicated - you could easily afford to finance your own independent campaign and indeed the national party would be hurt by the loss of your constituency funds. Nowadays most of the party budgets come from corporate donations to the national party so the constituencies are reliant on the central party, so everyone gets in lock-step as soon as the whips so much as look funny at them)

Another reason why political funding reform is desperately needed in this country and most other countries, too.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Inflation's dropped to 1.5%, which makes it hard to credit that the base rate will go up this year.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

e: Sorry, I had no idea phonepost would make that so huge!

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27886265

quote:

Doctors now have a legal duty to consult with and inform patients if they want to place a Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) order on medical notes, the Court of Appeal in England ruled.

The issue was raised by a landmark judgement that found doctors at Addenbrooke's Hospital, in Cambridge, had acted unlawfully.

Janet Tracey, who had terminal lung cancer, died there three years ago.

Her family say she and they were not consulted when a DNR notice was placed.

Guidelines for doctors already recommend that patients and families are involved in such decisions, but the court ruling now makes it a legal requirement.

In the judgment, the Master of the Rolls, Lord Dyson, said: "A Do Not Attempt Cardiac Pulmonary Resuscitation decision is one which will potentially deprive the patient of life-saving treatment, there should be a presumption in favour of patient involvement.

"There need to be convincing reasons not to involve the patient."

He went on to warn that "doctors should be wary of being too ready to exclude patients from the process on the grounds that their involvement is likely to distress them".

The ruling does not give patients the right to have CPR, but it does mean they should be consulted.

I don't think this will be the earth-shattering thing the papers are making it out to be but it's going to be an interesting few weeks until we get updated legal advice on what we have to do with DNACPR orders.

The Resuscitation Council's statement is helpful and seems to suggest that the court had its hands tied by the ECHR and advocates against prosecutions when their ruling is breeched.

quote:

In such circumstances the RC (UK) emphasises the importance of clinicians documenting clearly their reasons, should they decide not to discuss a DNACPR decision with a patient or explain it to them. The judgement recommends also that the court should be very slow to find that such decisions, if conscientiously taken, violate a patient’s rights under Article 8 of the European Convention.

• Locked thread