Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Phlegmish posted:

You know, looking at that map the Russians are kind of dicks for not letting China have access to the Sea of Japan.

Even the Croatians gave Bosnia that tiny strip to access the Mediterranean Sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Phlegmish posted:

You know, looking at that map the Russians are kind of dicks for not letting China have access to the Sea of Japan.

At the time that border was drawn up I'm pretty sure Russia's long term game plan was to take over Korea and Manchuria so it wouldn't have mattered either way.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Phlegmish posted:

Not an issue, they have access to the sea pretty much everywhere else. China is not a poor land locked country that had its sea access stolen.

Hello Bolivia.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Phlegmish posted:

Around the time of the Second Opium War, Russia decided to take advantage of the situation and received Priamurye/Outer Manchuria/whatever you might want to call it through (coerced) treaty. (To their credit, they at least appear to have not killed anyone in doing so.)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Riso posted:

Not an issue, they have access to the sea pretty much everywhere else. China is not a poor land locked country that had its sea access stolen.

Hello Bolivia.

A case of major dickery.

Bolivia has been getting screwed over by its neighbors ever since independence.

Of course, it was kind of their own fault for having a military coup every few years.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Torrannor posted:

Even the Croatians gave Bosnia that tiny strip to access the Mediterranean Sea.

The Croats didn't give them anything, the strip of land was inherited by Bosnia due to Tito's decision to base Yugoslavia's internal divisions on 19th century borders, which were in turn based on 17th century treaties between the Ottoman Empire, Austria and Venice.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

The Croats didn't give them anything, the strip of land was inherited by Bosnia due to Tito's decision to base Yugoslavia's internal divisions on 19th century borders, which were in turn based on 17th century treaties between the Ottoman Empire, Austria and Venice.
Tito was a Croatian, wasn't he? Checkmate. :smuggo:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

At the time that border was drawn up I'm pretty sure Russia's long term game plan was to take over Korea and Manchuria so it wouldn't have mattered either way.

Not really, the Russians controlled large areas of Manchuria in the mid 19th century, but they were forced to give most of it up to the Japanese after losing the Russo-Japanese war in 1905. The current border wasn't drawn until 1950, and the Soviet Union probably could have gotten most of their historical territory back if they really wanted it. They preferred to let the Chinese communists have it since the last thing Stalin needed at the time was a belligerent Chinese neighbor when they were still recovering from WWII and the Cold War was just starting. As for Korea, I don't think pre-WWII Russia ever had a realistic chance at taking it, the Japanese were way too strong by the time Russia was able to consolidate their Pacific holdings, and Japan would not have given Korea up without a massive defeat on the scale of WWII. I'm not sure if Korea would have been more under Russian influence or Chinese influence had the north won the Korean war, but my guess is it would have played out the same with the Korean communists not taking a side after the Sino-Soviet split.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Konstantin posted:

Not really, the Russians controlled large areas of Manchuria in the mid 19th century, but they were forced to give most of it up to the Japanese after losing the Russo-Japanese war in 1905. The current border wasn't drawn until 1950, and the Soviet Union probably could have gotten most of their historical territory back if they really wanted it. They preferred to let the Chinese communists have it since the last thing Stalin needed at the time was a belligerent Chinese neighbor when they were still recovering from WWII and the Cold War was just starting. As for Korea, I don't think pre-WWII Russia ever had a realistic chance at taking it, the Japanese were way too strong by the time Russia was able to consolidate their Pacific holdings, and Japan would not have given Korea up without a massive defeat on the scale of WWII. I'm not sure if Korea would have been more under Russian influence or Chinese influence had the north won the Korean war, but my guess is it would have played out the same with the Korean communists not taking a side after the Sino-Soviet split.

The Russo-Japanese War was all about influence and control of Korea. Although the Japanese had on paper gained control over Korea after the Sino-Japanese War Russia was still the major power in the region and after the Boxer Rebellion they started moving troops in Inner Manchuria and began encroaching on northern Korea. The Japanese obviously realised what was up and launched a pre-emptive attack on the Russians before they could solidify their hold.

When the Chinese - Russian border was finally demarcated it was all about where it fell with regards to the Amur River, because the border region at the point where China meets the boundary between Russia and Korea had been clarified after the Soviet-Japanese war in 39.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Countries by form of government.

Key:
Blue - presidential republics.
Aqua - Republics with an executive president dependent on a parliament.
Yellow - Semi-presidential republics.
Orange - Parliamentary republics.
Red - Parliamentary constitutional monarchies in which the monarch does not personally exercise power.
Fuchsia - Dual system constitutional monarchies in which the monarch personally exercises power (often alongside a weak parliament).
Purple - Absolute monarchies.
Brown - Single-party oligarchy.
Green - Countries in which constitutional provisions for government have been suspended (e.g. Military dictatorships)
Gray - Countries which do not fit any of the above systems.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I don't see any aqua, did the colors get hosed up?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I think green and aqua might have gotten mixed up/combined because I wouldn't call Suriname or RSA military dictatorships.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Why is South Africa green, but Myanmar/Burma is blue?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Aqua = the color South Africa has.

Green was in the key, but there's no green in the map :iiam:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mikl posted:

I see green.

E: I just looked at the wikipedia page with this map and the key says "Green – Presidential republics, executive presidency linked to a parliament"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Mikl posted:

That colour is absolutely green, dude.

e: You might have some sort of colour blindness?

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Mikl posted:

I'm thinking this is a map that is periodically updated, so a missing color just indicates that it was on the map sometime in the past.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mikl posted:

Key:
Red - Parliamentary constitutional monarchies in which the monarch does not personally exercise power.
Fuchsia - Dual system constitutional monarchies in which the monarch personally exercises power (often alongside a weak parliament).
Green - Countries in which constitutional provisions for government have been suspended (e.g. Military dictatorships)

That map isn't very useful. Turkmenistan, for example, isn't a presidential republic. It may claim to be, but its a Stalanist autocracy. Syria is a virtual monarchy and dictatorship. Somalia isn't anything.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

System Metternich posted:

By Leander Anguissola (1652-1720), an Italian mapmaker working for the Austrian military. The lines in the upper right corner depict the Turkish siegeworks threatening the western and north-western walls.

Interesting that an Italian map maker working for Austrians uses French for his map.

And the lines, especially the lines going to the cathedral at the center of town, are these sight lines?

These are very neat maps. I was just reading about Ottoman sieges in Rhodes and Malta, and how they were super experienced at sieges in general and earthworks in general. Seeing how they laid out their trenches is neat.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mikl posted:

Key:

What is fuchsia in man colors? edit: And aqua?

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 16, 2014

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Hogge Wild posted:

The color that Morocco and Jordan are. And there's no aqua on the map.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

Purplish red and greenish blue.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

lonelywurm posted:

Why is South Africa green, but Myanmar/Burma is blue?

Officially Burma is a presidential republic under their constitution, but unofficially it's a bit messier than that. The military junta relinquished power and held elections, but as the main opposition boycotted them and the main party was just the junta in suits rather than uniforms it was essentially a one-party system. The opposition contested the by-elections a couple of years ago, winning almost every seat they contested (all in the lower house).

The constitution gives 25% of seats in both the upper and lower houses to military appointees under the guise of "maintaining order" or some other such rubbish. It's not even subtle, it's exactly 25%. This means that the civilian junta only needs to get 26% of seats to form a majority (and probably less than that as most of the smaller opposition parties are just thinly veiled covers for the ruling party) as the military appointees always side with them. The lower house is rigged in their favour even moreso as elections are decided on a town level as well as by popular vote, so many of the seats are "elected" by committees (and guess who they always vote for!).

It's actually very clever when you think about it. They've basically created a democracy where they can't lose.

Regarding the fan death thing, in Cambodia a Canadian journalist went missing from his guesthouse a few months ago and absolutely no leads turned up as to his whereabouts. Apparently he was filming a documentary on Khmer Rouge atrocities and how the leaders still wield the power to this day - this is absolutely true, the current prime minister was a senior leader in the Khmer Rouge and has been in power since 1985.

Anyway, this guys body turned up just a few dozen yards from a heavily traveled path near the temples in Siem Reap (and when I say heavily traveled we're talking several thousand people a day; it's pretty widely accepted that the body was dumped there and that wasn't his place of death). The body was heavily decomposed but Cambodian police still managed to do an autopsy (yeh right) and the official cause of death was listed as "oxygen deprivation due to the surrounding trees."

I can't find the source online for that; it was in the English speaking newspaper and it's more than possible it was censored online :tinfoil: But here's a similar story which is even more ridiculous.

Whether this belief that oxygen can be sucked out of the air is due to a lack of education (more than possible in Cambodias case but I wouldn't have thought so in Koreas) or some sort of cultural history thing I don't know. Either way, it's weird.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I guess it's cultural. I live in Croatia and I know medical professionals with degrees from good US/Western European schools, works published in journals and everything, who believe that an open window will give them all kinds of nasty diseases.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Smoking prevalence of Men (%):

Smoking prevalence of Women (%) :

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

sparatuvs posted:

I found this lovely map of ISIL's planned conquests.

This looks like a troll image, the Arabic is written poorly (For example over Iran "Safavid governments, dajjal center"), Kurdistan is its own territory and spelled in the kurdish style (Kordistan). The other territories also lack the "Al" prefix, which sounds wrong in Arabic. For example its spelled Iraq in Arabic, but it doesn't say Al Iraq as it should, same goes for the rest. Also over Egypt is "Kinana Land" Kinana is an old tribal confederation from Hejaz not egypt. Also it ignores the existence of Oman, Al Hasa and other important eastern regions distinct from Hejaz.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

computer parts posted:

Smoking prevalence of Women (%) :

What's up with Austrian Women?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Honj Steak posted:

No idea but last summer I was in Vienna and people thought I was being ridiculous because of how freaked out I was about how much people were smoking. It's nice to see some data backing me up.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fizzil posted:

This looks like a troll image, the Arabic is written poorly (For example over Iran "Safavid governments, dajjal center"), Kurdistan is its own territory and spelled in the kurdish style (Kordistan). The other territories also lack the "Al" prefix, which sounds wrong in Arabic. For example its spelled Iraq in Arabic, but it doesn't say Al Iraq as it should, same goes for the rest. Also over Egypt is "Kinana Land" Kinana is an old tribal confederation from Hejaz not egypt. Also it ignores the existence of Oman, Al Hasa and other important eastern regions distinct from Hejaz.

But would it be possible for a radical backwards movement like ISIL to gently caress that up?

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Deltasquid posted:

But would it be possible for a radical backwards movement like ISIL to gently caress that up?

Maybe even done by a newly converted dude who just sucks at arabic ?

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

I think it could be by one of the western recruits, like that one dumbass from England who said fighting with ISIS was just like Call of Duty.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Count Roland posted:

Interesting that an Italian map maker working for Austrians uses French for his map.

And the lines, especially the lines going to the cathedral at the center of town, are these sight lines?

These are very neat maps. I was just reading about Ottoman sieges in Rhodes and Malta, and how they were super experienced at sieges in general and earthworks in general. Seeing how they laid out their trenches is neat.

I dn't think that that is the original map, probably a reprint for a French audience. I think that's sightlines, but I couldn't tell you with certainty, sorry.

If you're interested in Ottoman sieges, then let me be a little vain for a moment and refer you to my writeup of the Siege of Candia - maybe you're interested. :)

Honj Steak posted:

There are really lots of people smoking in Austria, no idea why that is though.

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 16, 2014

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Deltasquid posted:

Its a really long story, but part of ISIS/ISIL is that they are racists too, and wouldn't want to be caught dead with poorly written maps, unless its not intended for an arabic audience.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Honj Steak posted:

Have you seen Austrian men??

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Nazis were anti-smoking, so the Austrians have to be pro-smoking to wash that stain out.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Davincie posted:

Have you seen Austrian men??

They don't all look like Arnold? :confused:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Vienna, at least, had cigarette vending machines when I was there two years ago, maybe the ease of access there gets more people smoking earlier.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Honj Steak posted:

The map clearly suggests that they are smoking.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Vienna, at least, had cigarette vending machines when I was there two years ago, maybe the ease of access there gets more people smoking earlier.

In bars or in public? We have cig machines in bars here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

oldswitcheroo posted:

In bars or in public? We have cig machines in bars here.

I don't know about Austria but some German hotels I stayed in around 2006 had cigarette machines.