Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

genderstomper58 posted:

Haha do you guys remember that one book someone posted about where a sailor goes out as like an undercover guy and gets blowjobs from other navy dudes to out them as gay or w/e

it happened in the early 1900s or something iirc and was a passage from some book

or I had a wet dream about it not sure which

i think that was a movie....starring a english lady.
who was in friends..
uh.... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122548/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I'm taking this thread back for the enlisted.

gently caress your surface ships and history about that stuff. The wind can't even blow your dick so why would you even consider talking about it?

I want to have investigative blowjobs to look out for people fraternizing.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
lol somebody spilled a whole lot of care in here.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Anyone done STA-21 before? I'm putting my packet together. Figure its the only way I'll stay in. My SFC keeps insisting I apply for army intel warrant but I'd really rather try to get to an NROTC and butterbar up. My friend from HS got his 20k bonus for MM Nuke, then went STA-21, then failed his nuke interview on purpose and now is an NFO. gently caress that guy. I speak three languages and was an LNO for a year.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Analogical posted:

Anyone done STA-21 before? I'm putting my packet together. Figure its the only way I'll stay in. My SFC keeps insisting I apply for army intel warrant but I'd really rather try to get to an NROTC and butterbar up. My friend from HS got his 20k bonus for MM Nuke, then went STA-21, then failed his nuke interview on purpose and now is an NFO. gently caress that guy. I speak three languages and was an LNO for a year.

well considering you can't deal w/ 72 hour weeks i'm on nuke friends side lol

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Analogical posted:

All I know about STA21 is that if you gently caress up (basically anything involving police) you get to go back to enlisted life as whatever rank you were and also now have a brand new 6 year commitment.

Just fuckin get out and milk that gi bill money.

Edit: My source is a guy that had an alcohol related incident where some police showed up at a party and he was questioned and mentioned in the report, which got back to big navy, which hosed him.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

genderstomper58 posted:

well considering you can't deal w/ 72 hour weeks i'm on nuke friends side lol

They aren't killin me, I'm just pissed they're the cause of sect bullshit we don't need to be part of lol

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Watching officers slap fight online should really drive the point home that leadership has no idea what they're doing. I mean I don't blame them. The whole point of staying in is to put on the dog and pony and pony show long enough to hope you can get out more than you put in.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Leadership in my community isn't even about having two silver bars on your chest. I just would rather make O1 than E6 at this point. my last CDR said "[I] need to finish training in [my] AOR before I consider training as an officer" and wouldn't sign off off on my annapolis package, but now I'm too old even with a waiver to go to Annapolis.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Sir Lucius posted:

Watching officers slap fight online should really drive the point home that leadership has no idea what they're doing. I mean I don't blame them. The whole point of staying in is to put on the dog and pony and pony show long enough to hope you can get out more than you put in.

Calling out buttplug for being a buttplug is hardly a sign that leadership has no idea what they are doing.

As far as the conversation you are having goes, making the officer transition is a pretty good thing for a sailor to do in my opinion. Kudos to the guys who advance to the E7 level and are actually competent leaders though because we need them but most guys would be better off getting out and using their GI Bill. But if you want to stay in it makes sense to put in that officer package.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Putting in a package has its downsides (lots of paperwork, may piss off command) but it's not like you're required to take it if you get accepted

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Putting in a package has its downsides (lots of paperwork, may piss off command) but it's not like you're required to take it if you get accepted

I know it happens but I for one don't get the mentality that leads to getting mad at a sailor for putting in an officer package. I don't know why you wouldn't accept it though, do you know anyone who turned it down after getting accepted? I don't, although I met an AC who got accepted to OCS and DORed not far into the program.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
drat near everyone in the Navy gets mad if you generate work for them, and if someone isn't directly involved in the paperwork and routing they may still have visions of a watchbill hole in the distant future to fill. Just in general there are tons of people in leadership who resent anything that introduces a chance of uncertainty in plans. Yes you would think the mil of all places would avoid that, but it's proportional to how far they've Peter Principled past their level of incompetence, and the mil takes all the limiters off Petering out.

The packets don't move fast and people's lives and future outlooks change, especially when they're junior sailors. I got told to put in a STA package in nuke school, didn't, got a CMC chewing for it, another guy in my class got picked up and for reasons (mostly the STA program was brand new at the time) he got stuck cooling his heels at prototype for years before they sent him off to college. If I'd done that it would've had me hitting the fleet as probably a zero-sea-time butterbar nuke at drat near 30 years old and I'm not sure I would've wanted to put up with that. With nukes the go officer/get out calculus is a little different, Analogical is some intel weenie so I don't know how the lifetime income trajectory works for those guys.

Then again I got picked up for SPU and turned it down and I'm pretty sure that was a straight-up dumb move (Ket disagrees)

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

buttplug posted:

This is not unique to the Navy...this is young people in general. As a general rule, fresh out of high school or college you won't have much creditworthiness until you actually have a history of making some money. It doesn't have to be a lot of money, you just have to be able to be somewhat consistent with it and pay back what debts you do accrue. Even if it's only a credit card with a 1k limit...

Nobody expects (nor should they) 19y/o FN Timmy to have a 750 FICO score.

However, the sensible thing to do is do what most young people *don't* do - especially in the military - buy a reasonably priced (25k or less) relatively fuel-efficient sedan (like a Honda Sonata/Accent/Elantra, Kia-anything, Ford Fit, Fusion, etc) and make *above* minimum payments on it. It's still reasonable, good on gas, and will - over time - build credit history.

But it's much cooler to go out and buy a loving Raptor or a Camaro or some other poo poo that an O-3 or an E-7 with 10 years in might be able to afford and make the minimum payment because gently caress it I'm gettin' paid on the 1st and 15th.

Again, this is not sailors or the Navy...this is "dumb loving young people doing stupid poo poo".

So many of my friends are in debt because of their cars and I always laugh at them. Guess I was the only one that decided to use some of the Navy's poo poo and put some of my money into investment eggs (loving around with some stock that an HM3 friend out in Naples tried out and is working pretty well for him). Definitely don't want to stay in this Navy as an HM.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I got picked up got STA-21 almost 7 years ago, but there have been changes since. First, though, I've never met a CO or other senior officer that failed to help a sailor with a package if they thought there was a chance. Getting one of your guys selected is awesome and can actually help the command. The number of people that actually get selected this year has diminished some, though. Past couple of years it's been primarily nukes selected. You're also probably too late to get in a package this year unless you have an ACT/SAT score in the last two years and already have interviews scheduled and all other paperwork together. There are postage deadlines that can only bend if your captain signs off on a delay such as deployment or other operational commitment.

Nothing wrong with dropping a package, though.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Pandasmores posted:

So many of my friends are in debt because of their cars and I always laugh at them. Guess I was the only one that decided to use some of the Navy's poo poo and put some of my money into investment eggs (loving around with some stock that an HM3 friend out in Naples tried out and is working pretty well for him). Definitely don't want to stay in this Navy as an HM.

Which reminds me, the C, S and I funds for the TSP are actually a pretty great deal. They have exceptionally low expense ratios and are tied to index markets (I believe C is tied to the S&P) which are preferable for long term investment.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
STA-21 is a pretty great deal if you're staying in anyway. Get your degree paid for, at a real school, while still getting paid your salary, without using your GI bill. Of course it's 3 years in school and a 5 year commitment from commissioning and you don't transfer instantly so go ahead and add 9 years to now and ask yourself if you still want to be in the Navy in 2023.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Then again I got picked up for SPU and turned it down and I'm pretty sure that was a straight-up dumb move (Ket disagrees)

No you made the right decision. You should only be a SPU if you have a really specific reason to do it because otherwise it's just dumb. Do your 6 as a nuke and get out.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Goodbye PCS beard. Checking in today =/

Analogical
May 20, 2013

As far as intel enlisted goes, if I was an O-3 with 10 years of service I'd be making less gross but more net take-home than an equally-positioned private contractor through BAH/BAS, language pay and taxes, since my state doesn't tax my income if I'm military I just pay federal for everything. For my particular position here it'd be a good way to go and right now it's the only way I'd stay in the Navy, since I don't want to be living off E-X income until retirement if making officer just means getting a college degree basically free anyway. I have half a petroleum engineering degree and I speak arabic, so I know I could get paid a fair amount working in oil so staying enlisted either has to rock my tits or start to meet the salaries I'm capable of pulling in outside it. I just don't want to tell my wife later on "Yeah well, it all could have been better but that packet was poo poo"

Income aside it means I could also go to other duty stations, like Misawa, Bahrain, Qatar, San Diego or Jacksonville. Which don't sound that great but it is when you compare it to either Georgia or Maryland the rest of your career. Yeah, it's too late to do anything for this year since the packet date is July 1st, but I'm going to use the time to get next year's together. The CO here might decide not to shoot me down for trivial reasons this time before I even have my officer's board. Good advice in here though, I appreciate it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Navy thread, I love you guys but this slap fighting needs to stop. It's why no one cares about the Marine thread anymore, it's the Air Force thread is only saved by Shim's bizarre anger to Rek, it's why the Coast Guard thread is nothing but name calling and jargon. You guys need to be fuckin cool. I know you can do it,

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Can we all just go back to making fun of nobles?

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
No one posted in this thread for like 3 days and then it exploded when everyone started yelling at each other. Maybe we all just have pent up anger.

Let's post navy gifs:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Sir Lucius posted:

No one posted in this thread for like 3 days and then it exploded when everyone started yelling at each other. Maybe we all just have pent up anger.

buttplug posting his usual idiocy started the friendly fire.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I wasn't on a small boy but, I am willing to bet your shouldn't be topside during a launch like that guy walking the decks.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nick Soapdish posted:

I wasn't on a small boy but, I am willing to bet your shouldn't be topside during a launch like that guy walking the decks.

I honestly don't know how you are topside during a missile shoot on a Cruiser. Like there are alarms and poo poo going absolutely apeshit, not to mention that the whole loving ship knows about a missile shoot weeks in advance.

Someone once told me that ship is the Mobile Bay, but I couldn't ever corroborate it when I was onboard her.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I assumed that guy was pretty much dead. But how'd they get such good video of it happening?

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Witchcraft, duh.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

I assumed that guy was pretty much dead. But how'd they get such good video of it happening?

There was another ship right behind it that was taking video for mad navy propaganda I assume. Whenever we launched sm2s/vlas/essms every camera within 100 miles would be watching.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
not the Navy, but gently caress it, it's cool

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PneumonicBook posted:

There was another ship right behind it that was taking video for mad navy propaganda I assume. Whenever we launched sm2s/vlas/essms every camera within 100 nautical miles would be watching.

:colbert:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You can do RAP duty only once per enlistment correct?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Christoff posted:

You can do RAP duty only once per enlistment correct?

I think so, I had one friend do it when he was PCSing from one coast to the other and wanted to take like 14 days of leave in El Paso to chill with friends and family. All they had him do was shred paperwork and workout with the DEP kiddies. I thought Camp Pendleton was going to be your last duty station. Reenlisting or just taking leave and doing RAP duty to not have it counted?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
More like

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Booblord Zagats posted:

Navy thread, I love you guys but this slap fighting needs to stop. It's why no one cares about the Marine thread anymore, it's the Air Force thread is only saved by Shim's bizarre anger to Rek, it's why the Coast Guard thread is nothing but name calling and jargon. You guys need to be fuckin cool. I know you can do it,

gently caress off human being the cg thread stopped being cool when the only other coastie w/ a sense of humor decided to swing from the rafters over some goonette. that leaves a fat airsoft nerd, a long-legged pissed off puerto rican, some old gay, a mustang rear end in a top hat idiot bitch, and some guys that like never, ever post. also me, and I pretty much hate everyone

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I couldn't resist.

poo poo man, this thread needs to get back to tradition

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Wanna pet them dogges

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

My dogge

Could be my dogge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

krispykremessuck posted:

gently caress off human being the cg thread stopped being cool when the only other coastie w/ a sense of humor decided to swing from the rafters over some goonette. that leaves a fat airsoft nerd, a long-legged pissed off puerto rican, some old gay, a mustang rear end in a top hat idiot bitch, and some guys that like never, ever post. also me, and I pretty much hate everyone

Gonna need a backstory on 1, 2, and 4 please.

• Locked thread