Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Loaded up the Korean War scenario as North Korea. Day 1 I get a notification that the head of the Warsaw Pact is the USSR and that the head of NATO is...well...yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

So, um. Somebody on 4chan had a copy of the EvW beta (alpha??), .zipped it up and uploaded it. It's been leaked there and already the link's gone on to Reddit. Apparently, the leak's legit, or at least no one's seriously complaining about viruses.

loving called it. Also holy poo poo the shipbuilding's even crazier than I thought. How many construction slots does that thing have?

EDIT: "B-B-But that's just because they didn't have time to finish! All the poorly designed and implemented features and things that don't even exist are Paradox's fault! Everything would've been fine if they'd just poured even more money and time into it!"

Kavak fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 17, 2014

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Is there still a way to download it?

Patter Song posted:

Loaded up the Korean War scenario as North Korea. Day 1 I get a notification that the head of the Warsaw Pact is the USSR and that the head of NATO is...well...yeah.

At least it's not Luxembourg

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Kavak posted:

loving called it. Also holy poo poo the shipbuilding's even crazier than I thought. How many construction slots does that thing have?

EDIT: "B-B-But that's just because they didn't have time to finish! All the poorly designed and implemented features and things that don't even exist are Paradox's fault! Everything would've been fine if they'd just poured even more money and time into it!"

Actually it's cool as hell

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Patter Song posted:

Ok yeah you have got to LP this.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Patter Song posted:

If you go from the launcher proper, there's a list of mods you can select from. The events for the game weren't consolidated into the base, so every event chain & set is currently its own mod. Somebody in the /gsg/ thread is already attempting to combine them all into a single workable package of events, but I fear he will go mad before they're all sorted out.

Currently there's 60 'mods', including a 'We Are The World' mod, but mods are selected from one of those drop-down menus rather than the click-a-box sort like what CK2 has, so only one mod can work at a time, which means only one event chain can be in the game at a time, which is why the /gsg/ consolidation effort is so vitally important.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

The Korean War lasted one week before Truman offered me peace for everything I was currently occupying. I took the deal. Not great, admittedly, but I think I fared considerably better here than the IRL Kim Il Sung.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Did NATO even have elections? Like, winner gets to be supreme commander or something?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Did NATO even have elections? Like, winner gets to be supreme commander or something?

No, never. It is something they just made up for the game. I understand wanting a little more flexibility for gameplay's sake, but couldn't this be done by a scoring system or something?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
How would a nation getting control over the Warsaw Pact work anyway? "Comrade Stalin, terrible news! Mongolia is now in control of our foreign policy, they have declared war on China and we must join them!"

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DrProsek posted:

How would a nation getting control over the Warsaw Pact work anyway? "Comrade Stalin, terrible news! Mongolia is now in control of our foreign policy, they have declared war on China and we must join them!"

It's probably meant to deal with the possibility of the player's country doing ahistorically well and dominating obscene amounts of everything, like if Poland decided the Intermarium idea was totally workable with Communism and ended up as a big blob in Eastern Europe. Or if the UK managed to outshine the US for a bit and leadership of NATO affairs passed on to them somehow.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Enjoy posted:

I wish HoI3's ship building was this cool

Honestly this is the sort of stupid poo poo that I hope Paradox doesn't have in HoI 4. What does sea attack mean? What is the benefit I get from increasing sea attack from 8 to 9? Why would I not just go with the option that has the highest number? If that increases supply requirements or something, then why the hell are those stats only visible in a tooltip? If that poo poo is important, shouldn't it show up in the huge empty space for each selection?

I understand that this is a pre-release build, but the entire concept of handchoosing the armament for your cool boats just seems entirely flawed to me. Why am I, the supreme ruler of a nation, personally choosing what doohickey to put in which hardpoint on my supercarrier? Why should I care whether my turbonerd-class super nuclear battleship is equipped with 152mm fuckoff cannon mod 1968 or 122mm autogetout autocannon M15? Whether or not you used guns with sea attack 20 or sea attack 22 is going to be irrelevant in the case of WW3. I understand that some people will enjoy sperging out over their ship armaments (hell I'm guilty of sperging out over my army in HoI 3), but this is a Cold War game. Is detailed naval customisation really a priority?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kavak posted:

No, never. It is something they just made up for the game. I understand wanting a little more flexibility for gameplay's sake, but couldn't this be done by a scoring system or something?

It isn't an election but doesn't some big wig position rotate amongst the member states?

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Man, the actual EvW game might be hosed beyond all recovery, but from these screens the interface is gorgeous.

Like, damning with faint praise, but I was expecting it to look like dogshit, same as MM.

Interface was done by PDS artistsi iirc.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It isn't an election but doesn't some big wig position rotate amongst the member states?

The Secretary General has always been a European, but I don't think that translates to leadership of NATO. The Supreme Allied Commander Europe has been an American since the 1940's, with British and German subordinates. Same with the defunct Supreme Allied Commander Atlantic. I don't know if there is any kind of legal way for a non-American to enter those roles (I think the SAC would have to be killed and the US unavailable due to WWIII or whatever). What the heck would you do with leadership of NATO that wasn't declaring war, I'm genuinely curious.

BBJoey posted:

Is detailed naval customisation really a priority?

I wouldn't mind a cut-down version for a WWI or WWII game, where naval combat actually was critical, but like you said this is the Cold War. Naval policy should be about the balance of power and the arms race, of keeping your ships capable of fighting theirs and preventing a submarine gap, a carrier gap, etc.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BBJoey posted:

Is detailed naval customisation really a priority?
It is. The ability to design a huge carrier that is powerful enough to single-handedly crush 90% of the world's militaries would really support the idea of you being a super power, plus it would encourage you to be interventionist now that you put so much effort into making your toy.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It is. The ability to design a huge carrier that is powerful enough to single-handedly crush 90% of the world's militaries would really support the idea of you being a super power, plus it would encourage you to be interventionist now that you put so much effort into making your toy.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or quoting a Paradox fan who isn't.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Best Cold War game ever. Going to build up my forces, then annex the USSR.

EDIT: Yes, on my first time playing the game, I managed to conquer China as North Korea. I'm not even particularly good at HOI-style Paradox games. Someone that is good at them could probably pull off domination of all of Europe as Andorra or something.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Best Cold War game ever. Going to build up my forces, then annex the USSR.

EDIT: Yes, on my first time playing the game, I managed to conquer China as North Korea. I'm not even particularly good at HOI-style Paradox games. Someone that is good at them could probably pull off domination of all of Europe as Andorra or something.

How are you doing this? Is the AI that bad at defending itself and managing peace treaties?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

How are you doing this? Is the AI that bad at defending itself and managing peace treaties?

The PRC was in the middle of a major revolt that was occupying about 2/3rds of it, and the AI is incredibly bad at combat.

Not releasing this game must've been a painful decision, but it was clearly the right one.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I dunno how things worked in the Cold War, but these days pumping all your money into a military contract is a good way to make something that will never see combat (eg F-22, F35).

Patter Song posted:

The PRC was in the middle of a major revolt that was occupying about 2/3rds of it, and the AI is incredibly bad at combat.

Are revolutions in EvW seriously represented by HoI 3 partisan forces?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Being able to prepare the succession, instead of it just being thrust upon you, does seem like a nice thing to be able to do.

It would probably also cut down the number of people complaining about Monarch Points since they would then be even less of a crapshoot. Paradox have been moving a bit in that direction by adding more sources of MPs which the player has more control over but that would attack the root of it and add a nice bit of characterisation and fleshing out of each countries' political system.

If you were to do that then Republics would probably also require another look since their main advantage would now be less of one. Also, either overall monarch stats or their impact on MP generation might need to be revisited to ensure that overall MP generated over a game doesn't suddenly increase massively since the new system would most likely to higher monarch stats on average.

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

This game is really something else I tell you what!

Music's really nice though. It's a pity Waldetoft's work will never see light of official release.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Oh Em Gee!
They made the German speaking area of Eupen part of Wallonia! Ye olde German areas are part of Polish provinces whole sale and the Hungarian regions of Slovakia are not separate either?
How is glorious Hungary supposed to get them now?

This is outrageous!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

forkis posted:

Music's really nice though. It's a pity Waldetoft's work will never see light of official release.

If this was repealing the arms embargo, it'd make sense. Except it's 1946...

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

forkis posted:

Am I seeing that right? Nationalist China proposed an arms embargo on itself and then voted against its own measure? Yes, this is indeed the AI that will correctly walk the tightrope of Cold War diplomatic relations and which will never accidentally trigger WW3.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kavak posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or quoting a Paradox fan who isn't.
Both, kinda. :v: Not sure it's appropriate for this game, but making customizable carrier groups which can absolutely dominate wherever they go would fit pretty well in a post-Cold War game. The importance given to them in that case being largely to make them seem like a qualitatively different thing than just your regular ship, a sort of monster on a leash which small states poo poo their pants over.

BBJoey posted:

I dunno how things worked in the Cold War, but these days pumping all your money into a military contract is a good way to make something that will never see combat (eg F-22, F35).
I think carriers and fighters are quite different in that regard. Fighters have the problem of the various branches of the US military all wanting their own variant, which means insanely expensive planes which do a bad job at any of the roles it's designed for. Carriers on the other hand are mostly just expensive because they're loving huge, and they serve their purpose pretty well even without actually engaging in combat.

Munin posted:

It would probably also cut down the number of people complaining about Monarch Points since they would then be even less of a crapshoot. Paradox have been moving a bit in that direction by adding more sources of MPs which the player has more control over but that would attack the root of it and add a nice bit of characterisation and fleshing out of each countries' political system.
Well, trying to go outside the line of succession should at least result in loss of legitimacy, and possibly stability, and might even result in a civil war/invasion. That should cut down a bit on the temptation to use it liberally. Still, I was thinking the preparation of the succession most of the time would involve making sure the succession would be as smooth as possible, even if the monarch died suddenly, and as a way to nip the problem of pretenders in the bud.

Munin posted:

If you were to do that then Republics would probably also require another look since their main advantage would now be less of one.
Having the royal affairs tab be replaced by a republican affairs tab, which allowed the player more thing to do in terms of defining their republic, such as term limits and the strength of the executive, could at least spice things up a bit and give the player some control over republican tradition. Also the ability to see the current candidates, and build up support for the one you would most like to see succeed you. Term limits in particular should really be revised, a place like Venice had life terms, and I kinda doubt 4 year terms were the norm at all. If you wanted to limit the length a single ruler could rule, do what the Venetians did, and limit the candidates to oldish men.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 17, 2014

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Both, kinda. :v: Not sure it's appropriate for this game, but making customizable carrier groups which can absolutely dominate wherever they go would fit pretty well in a post-Cold War game. The importance given to them in that case being largely to make them seem like a qualitatively different thing than just your regular ship, a sort of monster on a leash which small states poo poo their pants over.

America, gently caress Yeah: A Paradox Grand Strategy Game

I'd buy it.

EDIT:

Tomn posted:

Am I seeing that right? Nationalist China proposed an arms embargo on itself and then voted against its own measure? Yes, this is indeed the AI that will correctly walk the tightrope of Cold War diplomatic relations and which will never accidentally trigger WW3.

It's worse than that- they're not in it at all. That's true now, but in 1946 they were on the drat Security Council.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 17, 2014

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

Trip report: Tried to recreate the Habsburg dream with Czechoslovakia in 1946. Hungary and Romania both chose the excellent "turtle in the capital" tactic while sending their HQ units to act as scouts on the far edge of the front line to check out what my mechanized infantry were doing and put a stop to it. Everything was going great until all my supplies vanished into the ether, at which point the dream died, czech armies frozen in mid-march mere miles from Bucharest.

I do mean all my supplies. Not a single unit had more than 0 supply by the end. I guess the Soviets ate it or something.

Also absolutely no one did anything to stop me. The UN told me they might consider an arms embargo six months into my supplyless deep freeze, but I quit before anything happened.

forkis fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 17, 2014

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I hope for the developers sake one of those module things was an AI overhaul, because if this is the natural state of the game it should've been shitcanned last year.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I feel like a Cold War game with the kind of military detail HoI3 has misses the point entirely.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

forkis posted:

Also absolutely no one did anything to stop me. The UN told me they might consider an arms embargo six months into my supplyless deep freeze, but I quit before anything happened.

Sounds accurate.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kavak posted:

America, gently caress Yeah: A Paradox Grand Strategy Game

I'd buy it.
A Pax Americana game could be pretty cool. It would be lopsided as gently caress of course, but isn't the same true for Rome? I suppose it would have to continue into the future, and basically have the goal of either replacing the US as the leading power, or making the world multipolar again, at least for great powers. Just making sure you don't get hosed too hard would then be the goal of small states, especially the ones outside the West.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It would be nice to have a Grand Strategy Game that represented the rise of non-state actors in the modern era -- as a force to be reckoned with that nonetheless does not own territory in the traditional sense.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

pdxjohan posted:

Interface was done by PDS artistsi iirc.

Well track them down and give them hugs from me, 'cause they do good work. :3:

BBJoey posted:

Why am I, the supreme ruler of a nation, personally choosing what doohickey to put in which hardpoint on my supercarrier?

It's totally inappropriate for a Cold War game, but tinkering with ship loadouts in something like Space Empires is super fun.

(To be honest, it's the only really fun part of SE :smith:)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

DrSunshine posted:

It would be nice to have a Grand Strategy Game that represented the rise of non-state actors in the modern era -- as a force to be reckoned with that nonetheless does not own territory in the traditional sense.

The closest we've got to that is Crusader Kings 2 and its adventurers, unfortunately.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Why am I, the supreme ruler of a nation, personally choosing what doohickey to put in which hardpoint on my supercarrier? Why should I care whether my turbonerd-class super nuclear battleship is equipped with 152mm fuckoff cannon mod 1968 or 122mm autogetout autocannon M15? Whether or not you used guns with sea attack 20 or sea attack 22 is going to be irrelevant in the case of WW3. I understand that some people will enjoy sperging out over their ship armaments (hell I'm guilty of sperging out over my army in HoI 3), but this is a Cold War game. Is detailed naval customisation really a priority?

Why are you also personally choosing which brigades go into which division and which town each division attacks?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

If only for the option of sending your National Security Adviser to the headquarters of JPMorgan Chase to imprison their CEO, and have the military brutally crack down on anyone who dares make a peep.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If only for the option of sending your National Security Adviser to the headquarters of JPMorgan Chase to imprison their CEO, and have the military brutally crack down on anyone who dares make a peep.

A lusty young White House intern is throwing herself at you.

> Give her a good tumble!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
This whole leak thing was kind of expected. A lot of people got burned so I was just waiting for someone to post it. And no, it wasn't me.

As for development, what I guess I could say is that lots of things were being tweaked to the end of the alpha. Beta testing would have probably caught many of the weirdest of oddities and fixed AI issues.

...I was never a fan of the ship part though, but it wasn't my department. :shrug:

Oh, and whatever that We Are The World mod is, it was probably removing all those folks I added. Several team members were highly vocal about not having any fictional ministers whatsoever despite any issues that would cause.

I'm not even sure what I can talk about any more, so I'm playing it safe. Discover what you will, I can't talk about much or anything really. :(

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 17, 2014

• Locked thread