Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

If Zeb/Mantell's podcast is just him interviewing dudes from the territory days about all the bonkers poo poo that happened back then, it'll be a must-listen. His episode of Austin's podcast was fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Yeah, the Dibiase episode of the Ross Report was really good and I wished it was a 2 parter. I could listen to "real, dangerous heat" stories from old time vets for days.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Has anyone kept track of how many weeks in a row JR's gone on the rant about heels needing to break the rules and no wrestler wanting to act like a true heel? It has to be 4-6 straight weeks at this point. Either he has no other thoughts about wrestling, or he thinks no one else will remember. Or he can't remember himself.

ps. Great podcast other than that, thanks to DiBiase. I could listen to guys tell stories about the territories and working Japan in the 80s forever. I never knew Vince gave him the cash to play the Million Dollar Man gimmick in real life. Would've been an amazing story if he showed up at a restaurant you were at one night and bought everyone dinner.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I also hate how JR repeats his sentences as if he were a boring college lecturer and we're supposed to be taking notes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dunbar posted:

ps. Great podcast other than that, thanks to DiBiase. I could listen to guys tell stories about the territories and working Japan in the 80s forever. I never knew Vince gave him the cash to play the Million Dollar Man gimmick in real life. Would've been an amazing story if he showed up at a restaurant you were at one night and bought everyone dinner.

I love that he gave him just enough rope to hang himself with if he tried to take advantage of it. Gave him a couple grand (back in the 80s, remember) and told him to pick his spots carefully in terms of splashing out and not going hog-wild with "free" money.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

JR's podcast is bad and I'm not a fan of it or him at this point.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Ahaha Court Bauer got his Gary Hart references over on Austin's show too. *alvarez voice* what a worker

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

NienNunb posted:

JR's podcast is bad and I'm not a fan of it or him at this point.

I definitely liked JR when I didn't know more of his opinions. His blog seems to hint at utter contempt for the "internet wrestling fan." Because there are so many wrestling fans these days without the internet. And in his podcast, he sounds very bitter about a lot of opinions. Ex: Top rope 10 punch count, heels being cheered, and he seems to look down on fans who don't agree with him as in the case of fans who wanted to see Bryan with the title before Wrestlemania. From Royal Rumble to WM XXX, every other blog he would get all "these kids these days" when it came to people not "understanding" a slow boil. He seems to think many fans are very stupid, which makes me wonder who are the fans he appreciates?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Why the fans who pay money to hear him spout this same bullshit live, of course.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Spikeguy posted:

who are the fans he appreciates?

The fans in the 1970s

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
The Todd Martin trivia contest is pretty fun if only for Bryan being really awkward with his lovely sound effects (free show btw)

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I love the idea that there's this self-sustaining carousel of old-timer podcasts, where all the guests on every podcast eventually become podcast proprietors themselves. Clearly there's a market for it.

This is exactly how stand up comedians' podcasts have historically worked, there's a good podcast precedent

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Doctor Goggles posted:

If Zeb/Mantell's podcast is just him interviewing dudes from the territory days about all the bonkers poo poo that happened back then, it'll be a must-listen. His episode of Austin's podcast was fascinating.

This is why I still listen to Cornette's podcast, he has more territory days guests on that the PodcastOne circle jerk doesn't and he's a decent interviewer.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I finally started getting into AEReview after loving OSWReview and now I'm wondering why MRT hasn't started a WCW Review.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

At this point it feels like it's just piling on, but it feels like every episode JR talks about "if you can count your friends in this business on one hand you're lucky, and I consider you a friend". He's said to this pretty much everyone on the show I think.

Also, thanks for pointing at Attitude Era podcast. Royal Rumble 2000 was the first PPV I watched after being out of it for years and it so loving awesome.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

At this point it feels like it's just piling on, but it feels like every episode JR talks about "if you can count your friends in this business on one hand you're lucky, and I consider you a friend". He's said to this pretty much everyone on the show I think.

He doesn't advertise it but Jr has 87 fingers on one hand.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Did anyone ever listen to Roddy piper's podcast? I decided to pass on that one because I didn't enjoy his appearance on austins show and the only reason I remembered is because everyone was talking about the a alphabet soup of wrestling podcasts

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

oldpainless posted:

He doesn't advertise it but Jr has 87 fingers on one hand.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Luigi Thirty posted:

This is why I still listen to Cornette's podcast, he has more territory days guests on that the PodcastOne circle jerk doesn't and he's a decent interviewer.

Cornette is a fun host, especially now that he's not active in the business any more, but his co-host sucks and he rants about politics a little too much for my taste, even though I agree with him 90% of the time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CombineThresher posted:

Cornette is a fun host, especially now that he's not active in the business any more, but his co-host sucks and he rants about politics a little too much for my taste, even though I agree with him 90% of the time.

I guess I don't mind when he rants about politics because it's basically my dad but with more cursing :shrug:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
New SNCJ up.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Main Event Superstars - July 27, 2000 SmackDown!

On this episode of the Main Event Superstars Podcast, we discuss, review, and recap the July 27, 2000 episode of WWF SmackDown!, WWE releases, and more! Enjoy!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I couldn't work out why there wasn't observer radio.

Then I read it's Vinny's Bachelor Party.

So it's Dave and Mike

So they probably started recording 3 hours ago. :getin:

Blankgambit
Mar 30, 2010

DevCast Episode 13: A week late
This episode is late because Sex_ferg is a poo poo butt.
In this episode we talk about iMpact, nXt, and answer some questions

https://soundcloud.com/blankgambit/devcast-episode-13-the-shortest-episode

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am mourning the loss of Casey Kasem, I do not have time for podcasts.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Blankgambit posted:

DevCast Episode 13: A week late
This episode is late because Sex_ferg is a poo poo butt.
In this episode we talk about iMpact, nXt, and answer some questions

https://soundcloud.com/blankgambit/devcast-episode-13-the-shortest-episode

I would like to remind you some of us don't like streaming poo poo so no download link no buys. :smith:

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

I would like to remind you some of us don't like streaming poo poo so no download link no buys. :smith:

Hey I'm working on it. We're working on it. Pods not dead

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am declaring the Devcast officially dead until the the week of June 25th. Consider any Devcast Episodes that go up in the meantime to be non-canon.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Punch/Piss(not that goddamn oatgan will ever read out questions from the thead)/whatevercast: Is Rob Van Dam the worst seller going today? If not then who?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

dave meltzer hadn't heard of homosexuality before wrestling

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cardboard Box posted:

dave meltzer hadn't heard of homosexuality before wrestling

I love that he wasn't sure and had to debate himself about it for awhile. Not too shocking an 11 year old may not have known in 1971.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

I love that he wasn't sure and had to debate himself about it for awhile. Not too shocking an 11 year old may not have known in 1971.

BUT was talking or listening to the exploits of ringrats at that age.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

rovert posted:

Meltzer is such a dog.

I also giggled at "It was sad that died so young... they were a really great tag team. I mean.. not that it isn't sad dying at that age anyway but y'know..."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rovert posted:

Only the straight ones. Is this really surprising from what we know about his exploits with the joshi girls?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

rovert posted:

Those ringrats are his information network...especially the ones in Mexico.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Perigryn posted:

Those ringrats are his information network...especially the ones in Mexico.

The idea of Dave Meltzer's Mexican Ring Rat Spy Network is nothing short of incredible.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

The idea of Dave Meltzer's Mexican Ring Rat Spy Network is nothing short of incredible.
Well, how else would he learn the real names of luchadors? The girls would go through their wallets when they pass out asleep and immediately phone Dave with the details. It's brilliant when you think about it...

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Was Big Dave really banging the girls in japan? That's not good journalism.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Was Big Dave really banging the girls in japan? That's not good journalism.

How do you think he got the name Big Dave??

VVV Why do you think NJPW is making such a resurgence?

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I like to think there's a bunch of Little Daveuuuuuu's running around Tokyo.

• Locked thread