Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

The way it's worded is weird. Either:
(a)Out of any other income strata, the lowest is spending the most on alcohol and cigarettes (if that's purely as a percentage of income, I MIGHT believe it)OR
(b)The lowest income earners are spending more on alcohol and cigarettes than on those other options (I doubt it. as a low income earner myself, utilities).

I also tried my hardest to find the sources they were referring to, but unless my Google-Fu is off today, I couldn't find anything that actually relates to the above image.

edit: It's b; I suck at reading. Also, of COURSE low income earners aren't going to spend anything on rates, water, or sewerage. They likely don't own their own house.

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
They're lying and dumb, hth.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Wow the Coalition Policy on higher education is fascinating in 1996.

Universities were underfunded in 1996 apparently. Therefore they stopped indexing funding to them. :cripes:

https://web.archive.org/web/19961109123705/http://www.liberal.org.au/POLICY/EDUCATION/highered.htm

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
In The fine city of Wollongong I did go for a job which involved door knocking to sell austar subscriptions. Part of the interview process was to go out and shadow someone doing the work to see what is involved. Door to door sales is not fun. It's not marketing. What Trew does is essentially the same. My first degree was a BComm major in marketing. We were told to do what was presented to us with sales or marketing in the job title 'to get a foot in the door' (back in the early noughts). After skulking for Bartercard amongst other things I realised this 'wasn't for me' and got the hell out. Don't go for those sales roles that promise big bucks. They don't deliver. My advice is to look at what you're actually interested in doing.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

No way, poor people don't spend more than rich people on clothing and footwear? What a loving shock. I would have expected the poors to be blowing their cash on gucci while fat cats shop at target.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mithranderp posted:

The way it's worded is weird. Either:
(a)Out of any other income strata, the lowest is spending the most on alcohol and cigarettes (if that's purely as a percentage of income, I MIGHT believe it)OR
(b)The lowest income earners are spending more on alcohol and cigarettes than on those other options (I doubt it. as a low income earner myself, utilities).

I also tried my hardest to find the sources they were referring to, but unless my Google-Fu is off today, I couldn't find anything that actually relates to the above image.

edit: It's b; I suck at reading. Also, of COURSE low income earners aren't going to spend anything on rates, water, or sewerage. They likely don't own their own house.

It's because when you're in that kind of a lovely situation, alcohol is the cheapest and easiest vice. TBH though, when I was a strugging uni student, I couldn't afford to spend anything on booze and smokes, not that I smoke anyway.

But what should they be spending money on? Either way, some FYGM shitlord will bitch and whine about "poor people spending his tax dollars" even if they're just putting it all to food and a roof over their heads, because why should they benefit when said shitlord has to pay taxes? I really hate the mentality that this country as a general people has taken.

euler
Oct 14, 2008

If the poors were spending most of their welfare money on cigarettes and alcohol (which, of course, I doubt) why would you care? Most of the price of those is tax anyway. The money is just going in a circle.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Did you know that many people on welfare have refrigerators? The sheer gall of them! They should have naught but rocks and sticks! :torysay:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Actually, that's perfect for spreading on social media and getting a campaign going that will at least ruin his day, if not actually damage his career. He's dumb enough to over-step dog whistle territory

Eh, might not take too long
https://www.facebook.com/DestroyTheJoint/posts/706275466086867
https://www.facebook.com/clementineford/posts/658667417543689

Vladimir Poutine fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jun 17, 2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Just got another phone call, tick tack toe, two in a row.

How do these guys exist, where does their funding come from and what the gently caress is "performance based" pay? Bullshit man, give me a baseline not a pit.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Anidav posted:

What else can a kid do? Can't hand out resumes in person without being told to wait online. I tried asking for phone numbers and I got about 10~ numbers I called, 3 of them blocked my number after I left a voice message. Being treated like spam mail by an upper class of mangers is a depressing place to be.

My last exam is on the 18th and I would love to hatch a plan to use my free time better than online applications all holidays. I just need a lead but all I have is friends who work at Coles and reply "yeah it's tough hey."

What do you mean number blocked?

You leave them a voice mail and you call back a few days later and your number is blocked? What are you saying in the voice mail? Are you just heavy breathing for 5 minutes before actually saying something?

I've never heard of this happening and I used to be one of the arsehats in Job Services Australia who would harass 'jobseekers' about finding jobs.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why does Tim Blair's blog take you back to web 1.0 land? I'm surprised there isn't a this page best viewed in Netscape navigator icon.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

Just got another phone call, tick tack toe, two in a row.

How do these guys exist, where does their funding come from and what the gently caress is "performance based" pay? Bullshit man, give me a baseline not a pit.

They have the EXACT same "career progression chart" as the other scam mob, except it's red and not blue. Aside from that it's the same drat PICTURE.

I had no idea these people existed in QLD. Where the hell did they spring from?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
If you think about it it's not really that surprising.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

What do you mean number blocked?

You leave them a voice mail and you call back a few days later and your number is blocked? What are you saying in the voice mail? Are you just heavy breathing for 5 minutes before actually saying something?
I'm not that Goony, just said I was told there was a job opening and was wondering if yada yada yada.

And yeah, Someone has blocked your number if it only rings once and then you get a "The phone number you are trying to get is unavailable." It's a feature built into iOS and Android.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

fliptophead posted:

The best part is his (Scott Morrison) alleged strong xtian beliefs. They're so strong they've broken through logic and reason to be the exact opposite of the bible's teaching. Help the poor? No that obviously means gently caress the poor. A friend in need? They're a "friend" indeed! Hah!

Well obviously nobody actually believes in xianity. But if they did, why would they bother helping the poor? The bible says only 133000 virginal, Jewish, male castrati are going to heaven. So if your dawned to Sheol anyway, might as well inflict suffering on others

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Why does Tim Blair's blog take you back to web 1.0 land? I'm surprised there isn't a this page best viewed in Netscape navigator icon.

Because thats when his popularity peaked. He's a Bolt-wannabe, and lost the more intelligent followers to Bolt, all that are left are the fruitbats (no insult meant to actual fruitbats).

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

CrazyTolradi posted:

They have the EXACT same "career progression chart" as the other scam mob, except it's red and not blue. Aside from that it's the same drat PICTURE.

I had no idea these people existed in QLD. Where the hell did they spring from?

These places have been around forever, and usually fly under the radar of the authoritahs because they recruit backpackers, fresh year 10 school-leavers, and poorly educated people who don't know enough about their rights / the goddamn law to question how they operate.

They often go FULL cult as well, and use a shitton of behavioral psych tricks to squeeze the most out of naive workers - mandatory team building exercises every morning, usually for over an hour (unpaid), in which some guy acts like a hype man for whatever poo poo product they're marketing, another charismatic bloke talking about how much money he makes thanks to this wonderful system, followed by some stern fellow saying how much you'll let yourself, your team, your parents, etc. down if you don't make your sales quota, etc. etc. The pressure they put on young kids to sell their lovely trinkets is unbelievable and often they'll try and keep whatever pissy commissions a kid is owed, because the kids burn out after a few weeks and stop showing up to work.

I'd almost forgotten that these things exist. They were rife in hostels when I was backpacking around Australia years ago, this seems like an evolved version. The whole concept of MLM is a loving scam and it's criminal that it's allowed in any form.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Feminists for shame! Why we should all support paid parental leave

Jessica Irvine

1 hour ago June 18, 2014 12:00AM

TALK about throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The debate over Tony Abbott’s proposed paid parental leave scheme has taken on a decisively nasty, divisive and highly retrograde tone.

Rather than a debate about what is affordable in the current budget environment, it has turned into an attack on the very idea of paid parental leave — a concept which all Australians should inherently support.

As both a woman, and an economist, it has been particularly distressing to watch as an unholy alliance has formed to tear down Abbott’s proposal to pay working women (or men if they are the primary care giver) a full replacement wage for six months to care for their newborns.

High profile feminists — who just can’t seem to get over their hatred at the father of the proposed scheme and focus on the merits itself — have teamed up with unreformed dinosaurs within the Coalition and political opportunists in the Labor Party to undermine what should be a key social policy debate in Australia.

Labor’s position is particularly galling, it being the party that only recently secured the very hard fought reform of Australia’s first ever national paid parental leave scheme in 2011 (ending an embarrassing situation where we were the only developed country without one.

Today it’s almost as if we’re back where we started, asking: why are we paying women to stay at home at all??

So let me clarify: we pay parental leave to (mostly) women because otherwise they would bear an unfair financial penalty for their possession of a uterus. The penalty is clear: Women earn less than men, have less saved in super and are vastly under-represented in the upper echelons of decision making in this country, in business and politics.

If we don’t pay for the valuable contribution that mothers make, we undervalue it. Prices send signals. If we don’t pay women for this vital work, we undervalue them and the contribution they make. It is unfair to make women as individuals bear the financial penalty for performing an act that without which there would literally be no economy.

Every Australian owes a debt of gratitude to the woman who bore then and the care giver that looked after them in their early years.

For too long this has been women. Hopefully it will change and more men will take up the role of primary caregiver. This will happen naturally as more women become financial breadwinners — as they already are in one in four households.

Paid parental leave recognises that raising children is a valuable type of work, whether performed by a man or a women, and deserves recognition.

The Productivity Commission was crystal clear in its 2009 review of Labor’s proposed scheme. Such a scheme would: “Provide a strong signal that taking time out of the paid workforce to care for a child is viewed by the wider community as part of the usual course of life and work for parents, rather than a nuisance. A scheme that intends to signal this should be structured like other leave arrangements, such as those for recreation, illness and long service leave, rather than being structured as a social welfare measure.”

A welfare entitlement? No. A workplace entitlement? Yes.

Of course, a great way to force women back to work is to pay them nothing, hobbling them financially so they can’t afford to stay at home. But decades of research show this isn’t a good outcome for maternal or child health.

The Commission found six months of leave was in line with international evidence on the best length for breast feeding. Abbott’s scheme would fill this gap.

Given budgetary constraints, the Commission ended up backing Labor’s proposal to pay parents 18 weeks at the minimum wage.

But clearly this is still considered insufficient by employers who have largely opted to retain their own top up schemes — paid at a woman’s wage.

The true merit of Abbott’s more generous scheme is that it would replace this patchwork of overlapping schemes.

Still pushing for the scheme ... PM Tony Abbott in Question Time in the House of Represen

Still pushing for the scheme ... PM Tony Abbott in Question Time in the House of Representatives. Picture: Kym Smith Source: News Corp Australia

Parental leave would be taken off the books of individual businesses, thereby removing the incentive any line manager may have to discriminate against hiring a woman. Only big business would pay the 1.5 per cent company tax levy to partially fund the scheme, while the rest of the cost would be largely covered by rolling in the existing national leave scheme and state based schemes for public servants.

Employers who employ a lot of senior women could even find they pay less under the scheme, while employers with a poor track record employing women could indeed end up paying more.

I’m happy with that.

It is often said that women can be their own worst enemies and the paid parental leave issue has proved particularly so, unleashing a type of class warfare among high and low income women.

Forget for a moment that these high income women who would benefit under the scheme are exactly the sort of role models we should be celebrating. These are the women who are climbing the greasy pole and amassing the power to actually change workplaces to improve conditions for all women.

In some ways, I hope the cost of this scheme blows out — as that would be a sign that more women are climbing up the income scale and revolutionising our workplaces.

So by all means, let’s debate whether a beefed up parental leave scheme is affordable given the current budget situation. And yes, let’s talk about what else needs to be done to help families balance work and family responsibilities, like improving childcare.

But let’s not, in the process, trash the very idea of paid parental leave. To do so would be to roll back the clock on one of the most important social reform of the past decade.

"Women are their own worst enemies."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

https://twitter.com/DeptOfAustralia

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Avshalom posted:

i'm not, i'm a highly respected regular

gently caress sisterfriend this is where you buggered up the ruse.

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
From the front page of Courier Mail, June 18th

I had these figures before but have lost them now, how much worse off are current pensioners going to be with this budget?

Now let's take some guesses on what this letter will entail
a) propaganda
b) full of lies
c) misleading, disingenuous to the point of satire
d) blames Labor and/or refugees
e) Neglects to mention discounts/concessions cuts
f) suggests that pensioners work at McDonalds if they are struggling to make ends meet

I'm also wondering what the cost will be to send 2.4 million letters out

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

Jessica Irvine posted:

Rather than a debate about what is affordable in the current budget environment, it has turned into an attack on the very idea of paid parental leave — a concept which all Australians should inherently support.

So rather than universal medical care and education, a fair go for the unemployed, action on climate change, the NDIS, the NBN, not building loving concentration camps and a whole raft of other concepts that Australians should inherently support, the important one is a beefed up paid parental leave scheme which is blatant middle-upper class welfare targeted at the Liberal Party's social set. Right.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Maybe you're just too right wing to support it :smug:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Looks like MediaWatch struck a nerve.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
They literally just reprinted some idiotic catallaxy post.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Ler posted:

I'm also wondering what the cost will be to send 2.4 million letters out

At the very least? A dollar a letter.

Breakdown wise? Maybe 5-10 cents per page, probably 10-20 cents an envelopes plus postage costs – assuming they have a deal with AusPost and are also having them do it with their regional facilities, the postage costs will likely bring it up to a dollar or so.

Add fifteen percent in overheads, plus a couple of grand for the poor bastards tasked with pulling that list from the data base and sanity checking it.

… now double it all for spin doctor consultancy fees.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Ler posted:

f) suggests that pensioners work at McDonalds a sex line if they are struggling to make ends meet

:wink:

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 18, 2014

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Maybe he should actually read the ABS articles.

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4102.0Main+Features30July+2013

I somehow doubt that in 3-4 years Cigarettes and Alcohol have overtaken the cost of keeping a roof over your head.

Also 5206.0 makes literally no mention of cigarettes or alcohol.

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 18, 2014

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

adamantium|wang posted:

Looks like MediaWatch struck a nerve.

Is that a whole page of anti plain packaging articles/opinion? :psyduck:

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Why don't we have a :tonywink: yet?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anidav posted:

And yeah, Someone has blocked your number if it only rings once and then you get a "The phone number you are trying to get is unavailable." It's a feature built into iOS and Android.

What?

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Sinclair Davidson and Adam Creighton. They've called in the big guns.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

High Court is going to rule on some aspects of the offshore processing regime today.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-18/manus-island-high-court-verdict-due/5531228

My tip is they find the provisions constitutionally valid, probably 7:0. If I'm wrong about that, they will invalidate it by majority rather than unanimously (I'd say 4:3), and Hayne will be in the dissent.

e: To be clearer, I'm talking about the provisions themselves, and not the Minister's decision. They might not reach the question of the validity of the provisions, but if they do, I'm tipping as above. I have no guess to make on the validity of the Minister's decision.

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 18, 2014

XMD 5a
Aug 28, 2011

money is flesh
My takeaway from the past 24 hours is that News Ltd really hates women and really loves cigarettes.

I look forward to telling my daughter that the largest media company in the country thinks corporations that make money from literally giving people cancer are defensible but her right to be assertive isn't.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

ABC News ‏@abcnews 50s

#BREAKING: The High Court has found Australia's declaration of Papua New Guinea as a regional processing country is constitutional.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

XMD 5a posted:

My takeaway from the past 24 hours is that News Ltd really hates women and really loves cigarettes.

I look forward to telling my daughter that the largest media company in the country thinks corporations that make money from literally giving people cancer are defensible but her right to be assertive isn't.

Tell her to pull herself up by her bootstraps and start her own tobacco company.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Yup, a 6:0 decision (Gageler recused himself).

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/cth/HCA/2014/22.html

Incredibly short judgment.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Breaking news : Australia is still poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Just a reminder, something being constitutional does not necessitate it being just or right.

• Locked thread