Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Finished a second 3D printed Daft Punk helmet in about a week and a half!

Girlfriend decided to come to Wizard World Philly with me, and luckily enough the other helmet popped up on Thingiverse. Again, could've sanded it better, but this was a pretty rush job and the only money I spent was on glue and spraypaint, not counting the filament I used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
So I was sadly unaware that CPVC is more heat resistant than PVC. So heating and bending these pipes is taking forever. I am going to experiment with a heater at work and see if I can't get it to work a bit better that way. The mass patterning and cutting is happening this week so that I can start dying this weekend so hopefully I will have something visual for you guys then.

Though if anyone has recommendations for my CPVC issue let me know all I have at home is a standard heat gun.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Finally decided that for this year's Otakon, I don't want to be an anime, I want to be a Nord :black101: I'm going to try and put together a female version of the character used on Skyrim promotional art, which is basically this, but with the male version of the helmet. Time to see if I can learn both leatherworking and foam sculpting in a month and a half!

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I had no idea getting a flat black tracksuit with no logos or pockets would be so hard.

I might as well just find a seamstress to make them at this point.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

McPantserton posted:

That is rad as gently caress, I love the lights!

I'm so excited guys, I did my first 2 Warhammer pulls today out of 1mm thick ABS!! Here is the best photo of me that has ever existed holding up the front.

Don't be afraid to ask for my number, I know I'm hot.

Seriously though, the vacform pulls came out soooo well (although there was a horrifying moment with the back where the entire form completely crumpled, but when we released the pressure it reformed and the pull was good :gonk: ). Basically the plan is now that I have this super-thick, texturey base set pulled, I'm going to do all my detail sculpting in clay and do another set of pulls out of a much thinner grade of non-textured styrene so the detail stays sharp. Then I'll epoxy and rivet the 2 pulls together! :D

The beer really pulls it all together.

(It honestly looks awesome)

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
Work continues on my Sanageyama costume, but I'm currently looking for someone who might help me with the Japanese lettering. I know changing the angle of a single line can completely change a word, but I can't find a consistent image for the letters on my character's back.

Sometimes it's this: http://i.imgur.com/V39hwVU.png
But sometimes it's this: http://i.imgur.com/6Q775UU.png

Minor differences, but I'm sure one misplaced line could change it from badass detail to unreadable nonsense. Can anyone here help me pin down exactly what characters I need?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Neraren posted:

Work continues on my Sanageyama costume, but I'm currently looking for someone who might help me with the Japanese lettering. I know changing the angle of a single line can completely change a word, but I can't find a consistent image for the letters on my character's back.

Minor differences, but I'm sure one misplaced line could change it from badass detail to unreadable nonsense. Can anyone here help me pin down exactly what characters I need?

I would ask here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438030

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Neraren posted:

I think it's this kanji: 壟. Just copy and embiggen that guy.

I can't find any contemporary use for this kanji other than in "roudan" (ろうだん -> 壟断), which means "monopoly." On it's own it could mean mound, grace, or rice field dike. I'm not 100% sure that it's the same kanji, but all of the kanji in the show is so stylized it's near impossible to pin down most of it at a glance for me. As far as it going from bad rear end to unreadable, I think many Japanese would have trouble reading that kanji also. I'll keep looking at it though, since it could be more than one kanji stacked on top of each other. The bottom one looks more like 天 to me than that's in the compound I posted above.

Edit: Here is one more possibility. The top kanji could be 龍 (tatsu -> たつ) which means dragon. The bottom part could be 天 (ten -> てん) which could mean heavens, sky, or imperial. I'm betting that it's this second one, the dragon in the heavens, or the imperial dragon. Something like that.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 17, 2014

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
Those posts are both amazingly helpful. Thank you both!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
BUILD LOOOOOG

There's a lot of images in there, so I'll just link the album here.

Full Album

I think I covered everything, but let me know if there's any more questions. I'm sure I left something out.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

On a scale of 1 to 10, how required are Altoids for a successful project?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

my cat is norris posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how required are Altoids for a successful project?

11. It is absolutely essential that one has fresh breath throughout.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Now I know your secret!! :aaaaa:

CONTENT!

Mask 2.0 continues.

At the paper clay phase, so things are lookin' a little chubby-cheeked. A lot of this bulk will be sanded down.

So far, I'm liking this mask more than my first attempt. It's lighter, it's shaped a little more to my liking, and I feel like I kinda know what I'm doing this time!

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Well over the last few nights I have made a bit of progress that is visual!

Base dress is altered with a bit of stitching it will be all ready for the pleated fabric.

Drafted up some shoe covers and they worked so well I pinned them on. A bit more tweaking before I fully attach the covers.

I also now have all of the fabric cut out to dye I need to do a bit of sewing before I actually dye it all this weekend but it's nice to see progress.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm so excited to see this dress come together. Looking great so far! :3:

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

I'm so excited to see this dress come together. Looking great so far! :3:

I'm just excited there are other people as excited as me about it. Though if I am going to keep my time frame on schedule I need to figure out the frame shaping and fast. But dying is Saturday and I am just so ready!

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I just used Smooth-on 65D for the first time...Of course it just so happens to be the first day we get a severe storm in Michigan, and it's intensely humid. The only place I have to work is in a garage, so...what should have turned into plastic ended up turning into a soft rubber. All of my brushes and mixing sticks sure got turned into hard plastic though! Looks like I won't have my Repo mask fixed before JAFAX this weekend. Should have the Raincoat Killer from Deadly Premonition done though...as long as another 8X AA holder doesn't burst into flame for no reason. This has been a weird week for me.

Images! Progression of a Raincoat Killer. Not as impressive as what I see people do here on the forum and about at cons, but whatever.

The original mask I was using. Had kind of bug eyes. 3 LEDs were under a set of swim goggles filled with foam to diffuse the light. I used contact paper colored red with a sharpie. Surprisingly bright, even in the day, but looked pretty bad. Rushed the cowl piece.

Start of the new mask. Using a Mardi Gras mask from hobby lobby, and modified to have a Japanese oni style face. It looks a lot like that in the pictures I use as reference. Mask painted after this with black hammer paint and a glossy lacquer.

Red EL panels added for the new eyes. Corners sealed with liquid electrical tape. I didn't know if my paint would flex, so I didn't paint the top part of the EL panels yet.

First layer of sheer fabric added after painting the EL panels, and modified the old cowl.

The neat thing is that the darker it is, the easier it is to see through the mask.

Test fitting the mask. About to add the next layer of sheer. I cut the fabric around the eyes so that they will be easier to see, while the mask itself will be harder to see. Wish I had made the eyes just a little bit smaller.

Panels will be wired tomorrow. Looks much better than the first one I did. Still hard to breath in. I need to open the back up and add some velcro to get the mask on and off easier.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 19, 2014

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
That is wicked cool there ^ bet it will look great lit up!

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
Thanks to Repo Man and My cat is norris, I got the correct characters for my back patch, and had a friend help actually block out the letters.

Super happy with how well it came out. Design work for the costume is now 100% done, now all that's left is execution.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

So you guys are all awesome costume people, I thought I'd ask for some advice. I'm looking to make a costume for Oddleif from The Banner Saga, an awesome game that everyone should play:

It's got heavy Icelandic influences, and part of me thinks it'd be cool to go with the fabrics that were historically appropriate: linen for the under-and over-dress and wool for the cape. However, wool is expensive as hell and I can't find any that I like, and I'm not sure how well linen would look. Plus it's not like her outfit is historically accurate, so whatever.

Any suggestions? I'm kind of new to sewing, in terms of I've pretty much only worked with cotton, jersey, and am currently making a skirt out of some really light stretchy synthetic stuff I got on sale.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

sithwitch13 posted:

So you guys are all awesome costume people, I thought I'd ask for some advice. I'm looking to make a costume for Oddleif from The Banner Saga, an awesome game that everyone should play:

It's got heavy Icelandic influences, and part of me thinks it'd be cool to go with the fabrics that were historically appropriate: linen for the under-and over-dress and wool for the cape. However, wool is expensive as hell and I can't find any that I like, and I'm not sure how well linen would look. Plus it's not like her outfit is historically accurate, so whatever.

Any suggestions? I'm kind of new to sewing, in terms of I've pretty much only worked with cotton, jersey, and am currently making a skirt out of some really light stretchy synthetic stuff I got on sale.

This store has nice linen if you decide to go that route.
http://www.fabrics-store.com/

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Well I got most everything ready for the dye tomorrow. Yay colors. Here is a look at it before. I gotta say I love the sleeves the most right now because well I do.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Well I got most everything ready for the dye tomorrow. Yay colors. Here is a look at it before. I gotta say I love the sleeves the most right now because well I do.

I really, really hope it's not weird if I'm about as invested in this costume as I am in my own stuff. Lapras. :swoon:

I'm working on my own 40k stuff quite a bit now but I'm in what I think of as the "weird garbage" phase where everything is so abstract it just looks like trash. I did get an extra day off of work this week to make more weird garbage so that's pretty good, hopefully I'll have the pauldrons and bracers mounted for base vacforming and some detail sculpting going by the end of the weekend :)

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 21, 2014

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Found a cheap coatrack at a local flea market, now have an armour stand -

Still figuring out how to get the legs and hands onto there, but still - looks swank.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

I really, really hope it's not weird if I'm about as invested in this costume as I am in my own stuff. Lapras. :swoon:

I'm working on my own 40k stuff quite a bit now but I'm in what I think of as the "weird garbage" phase where everything is so abstract it just looks like trash. I did get an extra day off of work this week to make more weird garbage so that's pretty good, hopefully I'll have the pauldrons and bracers mounted for base vacforming and some detail sculpting going by the end of the weekend :)

I don't think so it's pushing me to work harder with out that burn out feeling. Also I may fan girl over all your 40k stuff even if I only actually play Warmachine. :3:

McKilligan posted:

Found a cheap coatrack at a local flea market, now have an armour stand -

Still figuring out how to get the legs and hands onto there, but still - looks swank.

OMG that is the best idea ever. I know what I am doing when I make Gilgamesh now. Maybe I will get one for Sylvanas to, if she stops being cursed.

Going to buy more dye and fit the lining for the corset then it's the dying hour and I will post pics after it's all dry.

Just found out that my friend who is going as Moltres her husband is going to be one of our handlers and has decided he will dress as Ash while he does this, lol.

LadyRavenWaves fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 21, 2014

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
So JAFAX was good times. I couldn't leave the main entry way for a good ten minutes because of constant pictures of my Repo man the first day. Completely destroyed my upper thighs because the only boots I could find are a full size above my shoe size.

Me and a friend. I' so glad it didn't hit the 80's and clouds started rolling in. This thing is horrible to wear in the summer.

As I had thought, I can only wear my Raincoat Killer outfit for maybe 10 minutes tops before I can't breath and the mask fills with sweat. I'll need to remove some fabric over the mouth and nose and see if that at least helps the breathing. Nothing I can really do for the sweating. The mask has to push directly against my face so that I can breath. The battery pack is so heavy it actually tore all the stitching I had done where I made a battery holder. It lasted at least until the last few minutes I was wearing it. Now I'm just waiting for a some pictures of it to end up on the JAFAX forums so I can see how it actually looks.

LadyRavenWaves posted:

OMG that is the best idea ever. I know what I am doing when I make Gilgamesh now. Maybe I will get one for Sylvanas to, if she stops being cursed.

You can also make a duct tape dress form. They aren't expensive to make and can help keep things from being damaged by not being stored/hung properly. It's just time consuming. If nothing else, it's nice to have around if you ware working with fabric, or want to make sure armor is going to fit against your body right.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I personally prefer the water-activated packing tape bodyforms over duct tape ones, the adhesive dries and doesn't gum up all over the costume/pins/etc. Super useful and the tape is really cheap, I get mine at a local packing supplies store.

Weekend progress:

Detail sculpting in apoxie sculpt has begun! This will be sanded tomorrow and then I'll start doing the fleur de lis parts, easier to do once the trim parts are cured

Back plate top vacuum form is done, it definitely crumpled a bit but the jet pack will cover the imperfections. Left sheet is base structural pulls for the shoulderpads and gauntlets, plus bonus partially sculpted breastplate front buck hangin' out.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I've never really done cosplay before but I am really digging the idea of dressing up as the man on this album cover and having little speakers playing Star Wars Disco as I walk around.

I have no experience in this at all and have no idea where to start as far as materials go, and some general advice would be nice.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The Daft Punk outfits were a hit!

WizardWorld_Philadelphia_ComicCon_June 21, 2014_091 by Wizard World Comic Con, on Flickr

Got stopped maybe ever 50 feet. I could barely see out of mine, I need to redo the visor eventually, but it was a lot of fun.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McPantserton posted:

Detail sculpting in apoxie sculpt has begun! This will be sanded tomorrow and then I'll start doing the fleur de lis parts, easier to do once the trim parts are cured

Question about Apoxie Sculpt -- does this have a super short shelf life?

On my second round of use, it seemed to be harder to work with. It wasn't as pliable as it was the first time around, and not as easy to keep smooth, which has led me to redo quite a bit of the layer I put down over Mask 2.0. Was I rushing it, maybe, and stretching it too much? Or was it genuinely more dry and less cooperative now that the jar's been opened a few times?

I always sealed it between uses, of course.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

my cat is norris posted:

Question about Apoxie Sculpt -- does this have a super short shelf life?

On my second round of use, it seemed to be harder to work with. It wasn't as pliable as it was the first time around, and not as easy to keep smooth, which has led me to redo quite a bit of the layer I put down over Mask 2.0. Was I rushing it, maybe, and stretching it too much? Or was it genuinely more dry and less cooperative now that the jar's been opened a few times?

I always sealed it between uses, of course.
:woop: We're back, hooray! I missed the forums :3:

It theoretically shouldn't have that short a shelf life. It does get dry over time, and harder to work, but I usually start to notice a difference if I have a jar around for a year or so. I do put tape around the lid to keep the air out as much as possible. (Also I'm so sorry I missed your PM for like 20 years!! I am now going to my inbox, omg I'm so happy the forums are back up)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can anyone point me to flight suit that's pretty close to the Flight Suits of the crew of the Nostromo from Alien:

My Comic Con group want to do something easy that we can all do, but I know nothing of flight suits (and apparently that was military issue in the 50s) and I'm hoping to find one with the rear end-corset thing in the back. Though that might be standard? No idea.

Whitz
Dec 17, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

Can anyone point me to flight suit that's pretty close to the Flight Suits of the crew of the Nostromo from Alien

I'm going to be super lazy and link you to the big thread on therpf, should be able to find your answers here. (I'm almost certain the corset is an addon though).

http://www.therpf.com/f24/alien-nostromo-uniforms-34755/index2.html

Bag of Hamsters
Jul 12, 2006

Gimme yer frickin pancreas

I needs it for reasons.
Finally finished the goddamn psychers!

One on the left lit up.

I used .016" clear acrylic, glued them together [with a square hole in one end to insert the light] using a toothpick because acrylic glue is the sloppiest poo poo this side of a Golden Corral, used frosted glass spraypaint to dull the inside, and then attached red warning film on the outside to cover up any misaligned edges.

The chain is just round, black, plastic chain haphazardly spraypainted with dark metal and silver metallic. The finials are Worbla over EVA foam [one layer, not a sandwich], and then weathered with fingerpainting. I have no loving clue what the design is, so I freehanded it.

Since the finial/chain/gem doesn't allow room for a standard LED + D-battery, I bought a fuckton of those fingertip LEDs ravers use [80 for around 12 bucks]. I wanted to make them easily replaceable, so I mounted them on strips of Worbla [and diffused the spot effect with Scotch tape] which is attached to the finial. 14-gauge wire creates a catch that I insert the gems onto.

First time I ever worked with acrylic, so I'm pleased with how it came out, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen another Velvet make the psychers light up. Pretty mystifying really.

Now to redrape the diaper and bead the back of the wimple. Shoot is on Saturday. Whee!

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
My Sanageyama jacket came out amazing.

(Original: )

There's even a loop under the back of the collar to sheathe my bamboo sword in. All it needs is the badge on the front and it should be complete. I have a month until SDCC to finish the mask and find some good sandals, and I should be ready to absolutely melt in the Summer California sun!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Neraren posted:

My Sanageyama jacket came out amazing.

(Original: )

There's even a loop under the back of the collar to sheathe my bamboo sword in. All it needs is the badge on the front and it should be complete. I have a month until SDCC to finish the mask and find some good sandals, and I should be ready to absolutely melt in the Summer California sun!

:neckbeard:

I'm up to episode 8 of the series now, watching it with friends...looking forward to more! Your jacket looks really really cool!

I don't suppose you'd be willing to do me a small favor and nab me one of those SDCC exclusive toys, would you? I'd send money in advance, of course. Maybe this is a weird request? I dunno! PM me if you care to talk any details!

So many good cosplay results this week. I'm so happy for everyone!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I have a question for all the warhamm 40K cosplayers. I've recently finished phase one of my Ork warbike, And I may need some help with phase two. I plan on making a grot tail gunner, DAKKA kannons, a trophy pole, and a base. For the trophy pole and base, I was wondering if any of y'all had some screwed up or old helmets you might be willing to part with? I need gubbins to decorate the base with, and more importantly I would like three helmets to spike onto the trophy rack. I'm thinking Necron with one dull LED eye, a Space marine helmet, and a Eldar helmet of some sort. for the Base guns or an arm would be cool.

I'm open to any ideas, If push comes to shove I can sculpt them up, just seems a lot of work to do if I can instead loot from someone else. The necron head I'm sure I'll have to make, And I'm open to any other helmets. (Sisters of battle, Tau, Chaos Marine, Terminators, etc.)

I'll gladly reimburse for items and shipping! Now that I think about it, if I gotta sculpt then sculpting up a Tyranid head could be cool...

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
If you can't get any help here, maybe try posting an ad on Craigslist or the like asking for dropped helmets? You're supposed to replace a helmet if it gets dropped from too high (like over 3') and there may be some people willing to give them away or sell them for very cheap since there's no market for a used dropped helmet.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
My bad, I meant specifically space marine/tau/chaos/elder cosplay helmets, not regular motorcycle helmets. I'm pretty picky about what I would wear to ride, and actually have a few motorcycle helmets I don't wear anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Oh well nevermind then :v: