Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Go7Gaming's board game box inserts have shipped, at least for me! Yay!

Trip report soonish hopefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

MadScientistWorking posted:

The criticisms I heard were there following. The competition said to bring prototypes but the judges ended up criticizing the games for stuff that shouldn't have mattered for being a prototype. Also, the competition locked up the IPs for 10 months because of the NDAs which is the horrible sounding part. I don't think it was intentional but man having something that you could monetize like that stuck in limbo sucks.

I feel like most of our criticism wasn't on the quality of the prototypes at all. We did give praise to the especially good ones, but we didn't really criticize the note cards and wooden cube types either. For this season the Cards Against Humanity guys are hiring artists and designers to work with the 8 finalists so the prototypes we see at GenCon will all be pretty high quality though, which is a great bonus for your game even if you don't win.

The IP lockup thing was unfortunately due to production delays on the game I have heard. So hopefully that will be taken care of this time as well. The show was originally supposed to start airing in November, but got pushed back until May.

As a participant I have a lot of criticisms of the show and the contest, but after talking to Max about it recently, I think that this coming season will be a lot better and it would be wise to submit games for it.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Tasty Minstel Games has a new Kickstarter up today, Harbor. It's a simple worker placement game with some other market manipulation at work. $20 gets you the game, and there's an early bird special for today where if you pledge now you get a free pack of TASTY SLEEVES (probably not that tasty) for your cards.

The game looks neat, the full rulebook is available to peruse, and the only exclusive things are cosmetic, like an upgraded box. They're also doing launch promos which you get for sure if you back, but you also have the opportunity to get them if you preorder. You can also get them for free as a PDF. Looks like a fun game, I like TMG's work, and $20 is a steal.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

medchem posted:

I got one of the lowest price Early Bird for Galaxy Defenders, but I fully agree they screwed themselves with this Early Bird system. Also, I agree KS minis games don't usually have long term legs. I guess the exclusives and what not do allow you to get back a big chunk, if not all, of the money you put into it.

I wish people would make a good game without lots of superficial bits that jack up the price. I'd gladly buy a good dungeon crawl co-op game with pogs/tokens instead of minis that jack up the price.

I've been really happy with Greater Than Games' approach to bits in their last two Kickstarters. Both Galactic Strike Force and Sentinel Tactics come with tokens in the box and an eminently reasonable pricetag, then offer minis as a separate addon for people who really like spending $30 plus extra for a purely cosmetic component.

I like minis okay, but they're costly and they make zero difference to my enjoyment of the game so I'm glad to have the option to skip them. Most of the time I don't get that option.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Spincut posted:

Tasty Minstel Games has a new Kickstarter up today, Harbor. It's a simple worker placement game with some other market manipulation at work. $20 gets you the game, and there's an early bird special for today where if you pledge now you get a free pack of TASTY SLEEVES (probably not that tasty) for your cards.

The game looks neat, the full rulebook is available to peruse, and the only exclusive things are cosmetic, like an upgraded box. They're also doing launch promos which you get for sure if you back, but you also have the opportunity to get them if you preorder. You can also get them for free as a PDF. Looks like a fun game, I like TMG's work, and $20 is a steal.

I'm getting Tiny Epic Kingdom vibes from it, in that I don't expect it to be one of my all time favorites, but that it'll work as a good filler game. And yeah, $20, sure why not?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Spincut posted:

The gently caress? Aren't they still trying to fulfill all the other poo poo they kickstarted?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

malkav11 posted:

I've been really happy with Greater Than Games' approach to bits in their last two Kickstarters. Both Galactic Strike Force and Sentinel Tactics come with tokens in the box and an eminently reasonable pricetag, then offer minis as a separate addon for people who really like spending $30 plus extra for a purely cosmetic component.

I like minis okay, but they're costly and they make zero difference to my enjoyment of the game so I'm glad to have the option to skip them. Most of the time I don't get that option.

The only approach I didn't like about Sentinels Tactics was that I thought when I initially bought in that I was buying into the highest pledge tier and when more stuff unlocked they kept upping the tiers and making me spend more if I wanted to get that. There was no mention they were going to do anything like that so I found it kind of lovely and wished they had been upfront about extra costs right off the bat or had included a super tier right from the bat that would have included any extras.

I still pledged and kept it. I also think though that Greater Than Games was really lovely about keeping people updated on what was happening with the game (GSF). where compared to the Galaxy Defenders Kickstarter, Ares kept people up to date whenever questions got asked and tried to keep moderate updates going about production aspects whenever they could. Even with the KS exclusive stuff they do, I think they ran a way better KS that made me satisfied about backing.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

The gently caress? Aren't they still trying to fulfill all the other poo poo they kickstarted?

E-mail from yesterday claims that everything should be finished production by the end of June, shipped to where they're situated in Utah sometime in July, and US backers should be getting their stuff sometime in August.

All I can say is, I'm glad I just went in for Dungeon Roll and the 'winter' promo pack.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bieeardo posted:

E-mail from yesterday claims that everything should be finished production by the end of June, shipped to where they're situated in Utah sometime in July, and US backers should be getting their stuff sometime in August.

All I can say is, I'm glad I just went in for Dungeon Roll and the 'winter' promo pack.
Yeah... Same here, and it's honestly kinda ... discouraging ... that a simple foil pack of a few cards hasn't been delivered yet.

They were so drat good at everything with Dungeon Roll from communication to fulfillment that it's frankly shocking how much of a poo poo-show TMG's kickstarters have turned into. They were the poster boys last year of how to run a great Kickstarter.

But now? Now I'm really hesitant about backing this one, despite how great it looks. Because the year since has not been good at all.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

dwarf74 posted:

What happened to Tasty Minstrel now? I haven't backed any of their other Kickstarters.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah... Same here, and it's honestly kinda ... discouraging ... that a simple foil pack of a few cards hasn't been delivered yet.

They were so drat good at everything with Dungeon Roll from communication to fulfillment that it's frankly shocking how much of a poo poo-show TMG's kickstarters have turned into. They were the poster boys last year of how to run a great Kickstarter.

But now? Now I'm really hesitant about backing this one, despite how great it looks. Because the year since has not been good at all.

To be fair, they've been completely open and transparent with the whole affair (speaking about the mini games, since I'm in for three of them). They've apologized about it and laid out what's been going on in terms of production. The problem was they were doing too many Kickstarters at once and they weren't managed well. It happens, oh well. It's not like they're dissolving into the mist, never to be heard from again.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Backstory Cards looks pretty cool; it's a 52-card deck, and each card has a shared-backstory prompt. Like a cross between *World style Hx/Bonds and Fate's shared chargen stuff. Plus it's by Ryan Macklin so it's got a good name behind it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

GrandpaPants posted:

What happened to Tasty Minstrel now? I haven't backed any of their other Kickstarters.

They bit of way, way more than they could chew at one time.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Evil Mastermind posted:

Plus it's by Ryan Macklin so it's got a good name behind it.

Wait? Really? This dude is a total douchebag in every interaction I have ever had with him. Plus he had the internet subsidize his moving in together with his girlfriend and then started a Patreon where there are no rewards or reward levels except condescending notes letting you know what you are helping him buy like Thai Food or a fancy coffee drink. Dude seems like a giant toolbox to me, even if he did work on Fate.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
If you check his bibliography, he's worked on some really good products.

But yeah, he's kind of a douche.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
This is jumping the gun, but Matthew and Michelle McFarland acquired the rights to Chill and they're planning on doing a Kickstarter this summer to release the game next summer. I always had a soft spot for Chill. It has kind of a clunky ol' system with some peculiar merits, and the McFarlands have written a couple narrative games, so I'm intrigued to see what they'll do with the rules.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
New Yomi kickstarter is live. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sirlin/yomi

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Why did this have to go up before BattleCON was done :negative:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

For someone that doesn't have any of this stuff yet, which would be a good level to kickstart?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Radish posted:

For someone that doesn't have any of this stuff yet, which would be a good level to kickstart?

The $200 level will give you all the characters.

The $240 level includes the EX characters but those are more for screwing around with and they're probably not balanced too well.

Go to fantasystrike.com and you can try the game out for free to see if you're even interested.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Bosushi! posted:

Price has always been my biggest factor with Yomi (aside from Sirlin's personality), compounded by the fact that Sirlin releases new editions often enough that it becomes annoying. To compare, $175 in the BattleCON Kickstarter gets you both War and Devastation, their respective Extended Editions, and Strikers. And for another point of comparison, $200 gets you almost all the released Netrunner stuff*.

*$25x2 (core) + $10x6 (Genesis cycle) + $10*6 (Spin cycle) + 20*2 (C&C, H&P) = $210.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sarx posted:

Wait? Really? This dude is a total douchebag in every interaction I have ever had with him. Plus he had the internet subsidize his moving in together with his girlfriend and then started a Patreon where there are no rewards or reward levels except condescending notes letting you know what you are helping him buy like Thai Food or a fancy coffee drink. Dude seems like a giant toolbox to me, even if he did work on Fate.

Really? Well poo poo. I try not to give my money to the industry assholes.

Oh wait, wasn't Macklin the guy who got all pissy because someone spilled the beans on him loving up a freelance gig and his sole defense boiled down to "let the buyer beware"?

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 17, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Wait, am I reading the pledge levels right? Do you not get the updated character art/rules unless you pledge extra? What are the v1 revisions? That term isn't used anywhere except the pledge level selector.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

S.J. posted:

Wait, am I reading the pledge levels right? Do you not get the updated character art/rules unless you pledge extra? What are the v1 revisions? That term isn't used anywhere except the pledge level selector.

The v1 Revisions are for people who already own the first edition of Yomi. It'll replace only the cards that have had their rules change significantly.

If you get any of the original 10 characters as part of this kickstarter then they'll be fully updated, including the enhanced layout and new art.

GrandpaPants posted:

Price has always been my biggest factor with Yomi (aside from Sirlin's personality), compounded by the fact that Sirlin releases new editions often enough that it becomes annoying. To compare, $175 in the BattleCON Kickstarter gets you both War and Devastation, their respective Extended Editions, and Strikers. And for another point of comparison, $200 gets you almost all the released Netrunner stuff*.

*$25x2 (core) + $10x6 (Genesis cycle) + $10*6 (Spin cycle) + 20*2 (C&C, H&P) = $210.

There's definitely a sticker shock when it comes to Yomi, especially in this case since it doesn't even include the nice rubber playmats that first edition came with. I wish Sirlin would go with a slightly cheaper card stock to make it have a better shelf appeal with regards to price.

As an aside, I really wish we could get over his ego already. Yes, the dude is abrasive but do we really have to caveat every discussion about his games with that fact? Roman Polanski's trangressions don't even get brought up in every review of his movies.

I don't mean to single you out, it was just your post that finally prompted me to say something.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 17, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bosushi! posted:

Roman Polanski's trangressions don't even get brought up in every review of his movies.

This is a pretty bad example considering that the fact that Polanski is a child molester is pretty important when it comes to deciding whether or not you want to support him, and therefore reviews of his films should bring this up.

Also probably not the best person to compare someone whose biggest failing is "is a big of a dick" to.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 17, 2014

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Polanski is a child molester is pretty important when it comes to deciding whether or not you want to support him, and therefore reviews of his films should bring this up.

This was pretty much my point.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

You should just play Yomi online since there'll be a new version of it out in a year anyway.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

There's definitely a sticker shock when it comes to Yomi, especially in this case since it doesn't even include the nice rubber playmats that first edition came with. I wish Sirlin would go with a slightly cheaper card stock to make it have a better shelf appeal with regards to price.

It seems like it needs to be more than a slight adjustment: Yomi is over double the price of other small run games with a similar number of cards (eg. something like Sentinels of the Multiverse). I think a good percentage of the potential audience doesn't care about how fancy the cards are; I blow tons of money on games, but I didn't give Yomi a second look once I saw it was $109 (in Canada). There's no reason he couldn't sell 520 cards for $50; if you really love the game, you'll probably sleeve it anyway.

And he's not much like Roman Polanski... more like... George Lucas maybe? Has some good ideas, but his ego gets in the way.

VVV: I can't imagine there's enough duplication in the Sentinels cards to help much with the printing - a healthy percentage of the cards are unique, probably enough that they might as well all be.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 17, 2014

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Bosushi! posted:

This was pretty much my point.

But it's a worthless point. By giving people money for the things they make, you also - whether you want to admit it or not - condone their professional behavior. If someone is constantly a dick while doing business that becomes a part of the business, so discussions of the value in supporting that are valid.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Which goon(s) did the 100 Deluxe Dungeons kickstarter? If you guys have time, I wanted to pick your brains about kickstarter logistics - just a few email questions.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

You should just play Yomi online since there'll be a new version of it out in a year anyway.
The first edition hit shelves three years ago, you're being kind of mean.

jmzero posted:

It seems like it needs to be more than a slight adjustment: Yomi is over double the price of other small run games with a similar number of cards (eg. something like Sentinels of the Multiverse).
Don't most of the Sentinels cards come in triplicate? Aside from the reference cards, each Yomi card is unique. I mean, I know jack all about the printing business, but I'd imagine that's a big factor in the price.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Peas and Rice posted:

Which goon(s) did the 100 Deluxe Dungeons kickstarter? If you guys have time, I wanted to pick your brains about kickstarter logistics - just a few email questions.

Thats me! You can email chris@lees-lists.com

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Siivola posted:

Don't most of the Sentinels cards come in triplicate? Aside from the reference cards, each Yomi card is unique. I mean, I know jack all about the printing business, but I'd imagine that's a big factor in the price.

In no expert in printing either, but I think any price difference would be negligible. Cards are printed out into sheets and then cut. The printer doesn't care if you print 9 different cards on a sheet or only one. I guess it all depends on how the sheets are laid out and how many unique sheets you have.

Sirlin's prices aren't really that bad when you break down what you're getting. It comes out to 10 bucks per 55 card deck made from very high quality card stock. The problem is when you lump all the characters together it comes out to 200 bucks, and there's no effort made to give you a value discount for buying in bulk, which results in a hell of a sticker shock.

TheSpookyDanger posted:

But it's a worthless point. By giving people money for the things they make, you also - whether you want to admit it or not - condone their professional behavior. If someone is constantly a dick while doing business that becomes a part of the business, so discussions of the value in supporting that are valid.

I agree and I realize I probably overreacted. I just think Sirlin's ego gets way too much attention for what it is.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

jmzero posted:

VVV: I can't imagine there's enough duplication in the Sentinels cards to help much with the printing - a healthy percentage of the cards are unique, probably enough that they might as well all be.
I dug out a detailed card list and that's really not "a healthy percentage" of uniques any way you look at it.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I dug out a detailed card list and that's really not "a healthy percentage" of uniques any way you look at it.

Well, there's only one way to look at it that matters - can you save yourself a bunch of setup by printing everything in doubles? Looking at that list, there's enough singles (and triples) that the answer is no. You'd spend more work sorting than you'd ever get back.

But anyway, yeah, clearly Sirlin could make Yomi cheaper. Sentinels is far from the only game that gives you ~600 cards for $50. I think finding a way to get the price down (by half or so) would end up in a lot more sales, but Sirlin is obviously free to do whatever he wants.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Okay, so a friend of mine made a game. It's rules and art complete, he's been play-testing and improving it at a local card shop for about as long as I've known him (about 4 years) and now he just needs the money to manufacture it.

Dilemma is a turn based tug-of-war game where two players share control over two pawns and move them across the board in order to earn points and change the state of the board. The game has a minimalist focus on fluff/aesthetic and chooses to rather deliver deep and balanced gameplay. Like chess, the game's replayability is based on giving the player a large pool of possible moves and choices allowing for development of rich and tactics rather than relying on things like dice rolls and random chance. Since I'm pretty terrible at explaining rules concisely, I recommend watching the Kickstarter rules video (it's the second one down), the visual aid helps a lot in my opinion.

Gameboard.

Give love here. Oh did I mention that there is a free print and play version to try the game?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Oh my God! A Cairn update!

Mike Nystul posted:

Project Update #28: The Plan
Posted by Mike Nystul ♥ Like
I am tackling my outstanding Kickstarters methodically so that i can get everything done. The first steps involve figuring out exactly what needs to get done and how to do it. Then I will set about working my way down the list until everything is done. I will also be going in the order the Kickstarters were presented so "Nystul's Infinite Dungeon" is first. I will be generating some material for each of the Kickstarters that will be shared with backers of all three. When I know what you will be getting from the Infinite Dungeon project. I will let you know. At the very least PDFs of some maps and an RPG called "Delve".

I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Thanks as always for your patience and understanding.

Upwards and onwards!

Any bets on proximity to the heat death of the universe?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bosushi! posted:

The $240 level includes the EX characters but those are more for screwing around with and they're probably not balanced too well.

Go to fantasystrike.com and you can try the game out for free to see if you're even interested.

I gotta ask not to start poo poo or anything but why should I, a dude who likes fighting games a lot and loves card fighting without stupid CCG aspects, pledge 200 bucks to this when BattleCon is like 80 bucks for everything me and my friends would need? Like, is there some massive jump in quality that I'm not seeing as a casual observer?

What is these dude's deal, I guess is what I'm asking because I'm not aware of them or the drama or all that crap.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I gotta ask not to start poo poo or anything but why should I, a dude who likes fighting games a lot and loves card fighting without stupid CCG aspects, pledge 200 bucks to this when BattleCon is like 80 bucks for everything me and my friends would need? Like, is there some massive jump in quality that I'm not seeing as a casual observer?

What is these dude's deal, I guess is what I'm asking because I'm not aware of them or the drama or all that crap.

- He 'patches' his games with full-priced new editions far, far more often than most board game companies.
- He refuses to work with a distributor, so most stores don't carry his stuff.
- He comes off as pretty pompous on his blog.

Aside from that, yes, he does make good games. But no, the price is not, in any way, indicative of 'extra quality', so if it puts you off, you're not missing out on anything earth-shattering (and Battlecon continues to be a great comparison, since Devastation has got to be the best bang for your buck I've seen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Tatum Girlparts posted:

$200 includes both the 10 original characters and the 10 new expansion characters. It'd be similar to me saying $140 (War plus Devastation) for all the Battlecon characters. Each Yomi character is a 54 card (+1 character card) deck and requires a whole hell of a lot more play testing and balance than your average Battlecon character.

There's a silly debate about which game is better, but the truth is they each have there own merits. They both have a lot of depth, are easy to learn, and play quickly. A lot of people like Battlecon more because there's no random element. Yomi does have a random element, but I don't think is suffers too much from it. I also believe Yomi much better emulates the feel of a fighting game by really embracing the whole concept of getting a read on your opponent, and for the way it allows your own playstyle to manifest within the game. Yomi also travels better, if you care about that sort of thing, since all you need to play is two decks.

If you're perfectly happy with Battlecon then you probably don't need Yomi.

InShaneee has you covered on the drama aspects.

• Locked thread