Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

My grandneice's middle name is Akira :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bucephalus posted:

My grandneice's middle name is Akira :negative:

Yeah, it's a real name... for a boy

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

PCOS Bill posted:

A Japanese boy, not often found in white-trash Ohio.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
:siren:JALOPNIK LINK:siren:, but it's pretty loving terrible nonetheless.

http://jalopnik.com/father-son-restoration-project-turns-into-nightmare-aft-1591656312

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Sounds like that Lavin guy needs a swift kick in the giblets, at the very least, for suing the owners for "missing parts" after getting the car taken from them (and then immediately sold to him...). What a loving rear end in a top hat.

Edit: please note I am not saying the car shouldn't have been returned to the rightful owner, but everything else about that story just makes me really angry.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In this case, shouldn't the state compensate one of the two parties, because it was an inspector working under the state's name that issued a clean title? In effect, the state created a second car in 2000 when it created a new VIN, and now it owes one party a car that doesn't exist.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

In this case, shouldn't the state compensate one of the two parties, because it was an inspector working under the state's name that issued a clean title? In effect, the state created a second car in 2000 when it created a new VIN, and now it owes one party a car that doesn't exist.

Would probably require time in court to get it sorted out, which means even more money out of the guy's pocket.

Technically I believe the car should have been given a bonded title when the VIN couldn't be found. The specifics vary by state but the general idea is you get a special title that carries some insurance on it, which pays out if the original owner ever shows up.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I think the most fair judgment would be to award the car to Rockwell, the original owner, but offer the right of first refusal to Caperon if Rockwell decided to sell the car (which he did, to that shitheel Lavin). Not even sure if something like that would be binding or even legal but that seems pretty fair to me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PCOS Bill posted:

Mostly, but not always. Not always Japanese either.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

How the hell do you even recognize a partially restored car that was stolen from someone else nearly twenty years ago unless you're in on a scam?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

How the hell do you even recognize a partially restored car that was stolen from someone else nearly twenty years ago unless you're in on a scam?

Probably due to the very, very small number of '63 Cutlass Convertibles running around? I really don't see these people being in on a two-decade scam for a dollar amount this small.

Saw that on the local news site a few days ago, it loving sucks. The original owner is a bit of a douche for only offering to sell it back for $15k - unless it was worth anywhere near that when it was stolen from him. The friend who found it is the real loving scumbag, though, for threatening to sue the father/son for the parts that weren't on the car.

I'd have told him to piss up a rope and sold the spare parts for scrap just to spite him, but that's just me.

And yeah, AZ really hosed this up.

Edit: The dickbag who bought the car back for peanuts and sued for the spare parts is actively commenting on the article now, ha.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 17, 2014

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

This was parked out front of my work yesterday. The seatbelt trapped in the door made it all the better.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I helped my buddy change the front brake pads on his 2001 civic last night. We start by taking the lug nuts off, but one is seized on each side. We proceed to turn them counter clockwise and rip the studs right off. So he's down to three out of four lugnuts on each side.

We get the wheels off and unbolt the calipers. I take off the pads. One is FULLY down to the metal over about 30% of the pad. The other three still have a very thin layer of brake material. The rotors are pretty thin and recessed past the edges, not sure if that's normal. He didn't get replacements (he's broke) so we just left them in there. We put that all back together with the new pads.

Then we started checking tire pressure. One was at 20 psi, and it was the same one that was pretty bald on the inside edge and showing the steel belt. The rest were okay, so we put the best two in the front and the half bald one in the rear - I hope that's the right setup when you have one lovely tire.

We then checked his oil - just the very tip of the dipstick showed oil, but it only took about a quart to get it back up to the line. The oil on the dipstick showed black as sin.

So we ripped off two wheel studs, topped off fluids, and learned that he needs new everything. At least he will have braking power when his front wheels fall off.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

Then we started checking tire pressure. One was at 20 psi, and it was the same one that was pretty bald on the inside edge and showing the steel belt. The rest were okay, so we put the best two in the front and the half bald one in the rear - I hope that's the right setup when you have one lovely tire.

I'm pretty sure that (1) you should put the tires with the most traction in the rear, regardless of FWD or RWD, (2) that tire showing its steel belts is a VERY bad idea to run on, and (3) that car will most likely commit a murder-suicide sometime in the near future.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

smax posted:

I'm pretty sure that (1) you should put the tires with the most traction in the rear, regardless of FWD or RWD, (2) that tire showing its steel belts is a VERY bad idea to run on, and (3) that car will most likely commit a murder-suicide sometime in the near future.

Correct.

Being broke is no excuse to put others in danger. Get a loving loan or a credit card if you can't afford a single tire. I hope someone rams a knife into it.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
I didn't want to derail the thread but seems like if this guy is that broke he should sell his car and take the bus. If he wants to live a long life anyway

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I think you guys are overdoing it. This is probably the average used car owner that's too poor to just buy a new one every few years. :v:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Larrymer posted:

I think you guys are overdoing it. This is probably the average used car owner that's too poor to just buy a new one every few years. :v:

It's kinda nice to be able to call at least one of these people a moron somewhat directly, even if they're not the only one driving cars that will put a family of 4 in the wrong section of the newspaper.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bobbilljim posted:

I didn't want to derail the thread but seems like if this guy is that broke he should sell his car and take the bus. If he wants to live a long life anyway

Where do you live that a lovely used car in that bad of shape would even get you a one year bus pass?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

smax posted:

Fully agree with 2 and 3, but why wouldn't you want more traction on the front tires? The front tires handle more of the braking forces and steering.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crotch Fruit posted:

Fully agree with 2 and 3, but why wouldn't you want more traction on the front tires? The front tires handle more of the braking forces and steering.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/6-common-tire-myths-debunked-10031440

quote:

2. When replacing only two tires, the new ones go on the front.

The truth: Rear tires provide stability, and without stability, steering or braking on a wet or even damp surface might cause a spin. If you have new tires up front, they will easily disperse water while the half-worn rears will go surfing: The water will literally lift the worn rear tires off the road. If you're in a slight corner or on a crowned road, the car will spin out so fast you won't be able to say, "Oh, fudge!"

There is no "even if" to this one. Whether you own a front-, rear- or all-wheel-drive car, truck, or SUV, the tires with the most tread go on the rear. Don't believe it? Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Hb5kQCaTg

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

Because your car is much more likely to spin uncontrollably if you have no traction in the back. It's a bit more complex than that, but I'm phoneposting.

E: aaand beaten.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

So the way I see it, new tires on the front makes it easier to drift your Mercury Cougar.

Seriously though, I remember watching some WRC commentary once that went counter to this advice. I guess the difference there is race car driver vs regular driver.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

PCOS Bill posted:

Where do you live that a lovely used car in that bad of shape would even get you a one year bus pass?

It wouldn't, but taking the bus for a year would still be cheaper than the total yearly cost of owning a lovely car like that, even if you never buy tires. Especially if u factor in the cost of killing yourself and others with your deathtrap.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

So the way I see it, new tires on the front makes it easier to drift your Mercury Cougar.

Seriously though, I remember watching some WRC commentary once that went counter to this advice. I guess the difference there is race car driver vs regular driver.

I think in situations where you are running a 4wd vehicle in a race environment you want the newer tires in the front as newer = more tread = larger rolling radius. If you have a larger radius tire in the back, it means you are going to be "pushing" against the front tires which are trying to roll a bit slower. If you have the new tires in the front, it means that the fronts will be turning a bit faster than the rears, which means the back will be "pulled" a bit from the front and will be more likely to slide around (which is a good thing in rallies I'm guessing.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Yep. This is why most cars have suspension tuning that trends heavily towards understeer. To most people, massive understeer feels normal, neutral to mild understeer feels sporty, and anything that actually trends to oversteer is deadly.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep. This is why most cars have suspension tuning that trends heavily towards understeer. To most people, massive understeer feels normal, neutral to mild understeer feels sporty, and anything that actually trends to oversteer is deadly.

I don't know if deadly is the right term for it, after changing my car from mild understeer to mild oversteer it saved my rear end when I overcooked a turn while racing. If the front end had washed out instead of drifting I would have crashed.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Das Volk posted:

I don't know if deadly is the right term for it, after changing my car from mild understeer to mild oversteer it saved my rear end when I overcooked a turn while racing. If the front end had washed out instead of drifting I would have crashed.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unsafe at any Speed is the source of all evil.

I kind of want to own a turbo Corvair just for that reason. :(

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

sofullofhate posted:

I kind of want to own a turbo Corvair just for that reason. :(

With the updated suspension, sure.

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
I was visiting my parents and driving their bare-bones 2013 F150, when I noticed they are really quite see-through in the back:

e: I just looked up some official ford press photos, and apparently they all come like that, I thought it was missing some inner wheel-well coverings with it being the bare-bones base model:

Ulfhednar fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 18, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Emphasis on most people. To those who don't know how to handle it, even a regular old aircooled 911 or a MR2 or an early S2000 is a deathtrap. To anyone who knows how to handle a car that wants to turn, it's a whole different ballgame.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't think that any S2000 belongs on that list at all, if anything they're probably one of the more neutral Japanese RWDs from that period

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

Firstly, the average driver is borderline incompetent and deeply stupid.

Second, don't forget most people drive FWD cars, and leaving aside the somewhat unexpected situation of oversteer occurring where understeer would be expected, it risks putting you in a position where you aren't able to balance the car - in addition to lift off oversteer, which isn't rare anyway, sufficient difference in traction between front and rear can cause the back to come out under acceleration round corners, as the front end continues gripping with the increased speed, but the back lets go. Makes it quite entertaining, because just about anything you do at that point will likely result in more oversteer.

I've run a car with that kind of traction balance, and while it's a complete laugh when you want to have fun on roundabouts, it makes for hard work when you just want to drive at a decent pace normally. For an average driver it'd be borderline lethal, but even for drivers like us, it's not a good idea. Better to keep the tyres roughly equivalent front to rear, and tweak it with pressures and suspension settings (and left foot braking in FWD and AWD stuff).

In other news, here is the latest, and possibly one of the worst, sanctimonious and unintentionally hilarious "speed kills and nothing else matters for safety" adverts: http://youtu.be/MD8BkIgp9Fo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've fitted my share of absolutely lethal chinese tyres to lovely econoboxes and I can categorically say that I'd rather have the 'good' tyres on the front. Maybe american roads are of a different surface but sticking supercats, ling-longs or blacklions on an otherwise competent FWD car makes you instantly sledge at the slightest hint of rain. I'm not meaning 'some understeer' that you can control by buttoning off, I'm meaning you enter a roundabout and the car just continues to travel at a tangent regardless of your inputs. You have to manually straighten the wheel into the slide, apply the brakes, then resume turning.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I've fitted my share of absolutely lethal chinese tyres to lovely econoboxes and I can categorically say that I'd rather have the 'good' tyres on the front. Maybe american roads are of a different surface but sticking supercats, ling-longs or blacklions on an otherwise competent FWD car makes you instantly sledge at the slightest hint of rain. I'm not meaning 'some understeer' that you can control by buttoning off, I'm meaning you enter a roundabout and the car just continues to travel at a tangent regardless of your inputs. You have to manually straighten the wheel into the slide, apply the brakes, then resume turning.

Two things:

a) I've never encountered tires that were that bad unless they were completely bald or there was significant standing water on the roadway.

b) Europeans get a whole lot more training before they are allowed to drive. In the US it's basically "can you drive around for a few hours without hitting something? OK, now can you do the same for 5 minutes at the DMV? You are now certified to drive for the rest of your life." These conditions do not lend themselves to American drivers actually knowing how to react when they start to spin.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

While out on my bicycle, I find that there is an interesting amount of brake pad backing plates lying in the shoulder.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Rich showoffs are terrible car stuff. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10898305/Rich-kid-of-Instagram-sees-cars-worth-500000-torched-by-arsonists.html

The Telegraph posted:

'Rich kid of Instagram' sees cars worth £500,000 torched by arsonists

A self-styled "rich kid of Instagram" who boasted on social media about driving expensive cars has seen four vehicles he used, worth more than £500,000, destroyed in arson attacks in just one week. Aleem Iqbal, who calls himself “Lord Aleem”, works for his father’s luxury car hire firm and shows off about his access to the upmarket motors on Instagram, the photo sharing site. The 19-year-old leased a new £340,000 Lamborghini Aventador Roadster for a wedding on June 6 but it was torched a few hours later outside a house in Luton, Beds.

Three hooded men pulled up to the house around 1am in a Mercedes 4x4 and doused the Lamborghini in petrol, CCTV images revealed. The following week three more of his luxury cars, worth £200,000, were destroyed in a second attack close to his father’s Platinum Executive Travel firm in Yardley, Birmingham. Two Audi R8 Spyder supercars and a Bentley Flying Spur were burned out and the attack was again caught on CCTV. The clip shows two people walking up to the three cars before they were apparently set alight.

Mr Iqbal, who regularly posts updates about his life on Twitter and Facebook, said: "I'm not really in a great state of mind at the moment, I've had half a million pounds worth of cars destroyed in the last few days. I'm not sure if it’s an attack on my family because they would have come directly after me or my family if that was the case. However, I do believe it could be a vile act of jealously towards my business or it could just be mindless vandals on an arson spree. Either way, one thing is for sure they will be caught and when they do I suggest you sit back and enjoy the show because they will be going down for a long time."

After the first attack, Aleem from Solihull, West Mids, said: "Fortunately the driver was in the house at the time but this could have endangered lives, there could have been dead bodies. These arsonists really don't know what they could have caused. When I was told about what happened I felt the ground beneath me move. It has taken a lot of hard work and effort to get where we are and we cannot take a loss of £340,000. I thought it would be toast but the passenger seat and dashboard is damaged so hopefully we should be able to get it back onto the road within four weeks."

The company run by Mr Iqbal’s father Saleem, 43, leases Rolls-Royce, Lamborghini, Ferrari and Bentley cars. A Platinum Executive Travel spokesman said: "We're sure that the people who did this will be caught and that justice will be done. We're the market leaders in the premium car hire industry and this is bad for us."

West Midlands Police said: "An investigation is underway into a suspected arson attack at the Holiday Inn Express Car Park on Coventry Road. The three vehicles were well alight when officers arrived and are estimated to be worth more than £200,000. Officers have recovered CCTV that shows two offenders setting the vehicles alight at around 12.20am. We would urge anyone who saw anybody acting suspiciously late on Wednesday or in the early hours of Thursday morning to contact the investigation team in Stechford."

Also arsonists are terrible too.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

While out on my bicycle, I find that there is an interesting amount of brake pad backing plates lying in the shoulder.

"Hey Clark, come over here and tell me what's wrong with this picture." #240drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

quote:

It has taken a lot of hard work and effort to get where we are and we cannot take a loss of £340,000.

I guess someone doesn't have insurance... That's a terrible car stuff.