Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Not so much a fight. But in #503 he is bossing him around and shutting down all his jokes. Also, giving him a lot of crap about not taking the initiative with trying to score stand up gigs while offering no help. I don't know - I just feel with everything interaction between the two there is this underlying resentment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
You can always tell who Joe genuinely cares about as he tends to be far more critical of them (as distinguished from the standard "I love you man, but - " phrase that all comedians say to pass criticism). It's why Brian gets a ton of poo poo for smoking and others in the same room don't.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, Joe nitpicks Brian all the time, but I've never thought he was being a bully about it. He's just Joe--he's all super into making people "better" or at the very least healthier.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Hows the Steve Hilton podcast?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Pocket Billiards posted:

Hows the Steve Hilton podcast?
So far Steve Hilton is extremely articulate. He is patient with Joe's rambles and doesn't disagree out loud when I know he silently is but instead guides the conversation into a more sane place.

So I've finally figured out why I (a kiwi male who doesn't get wrestling or sport) love the JRE. It's like going to a house party and ending up on the back porch where some guy is exposing his views on politics, philosophy and life in a really wanky but also honest way. And most people roll their eyes and get out of there but you're starting to sober up and its been a long night so you just sit there staring at the stars nodding to his bullshit. Yeah dude, the universe is huge.

There is a certain calmness that comes with that.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Can you guys recommend me some good previous episodes? I'm pretty much open to any thing and I like mma as well so just any thing you enjoyed. Thanks.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Jippa posted:

Can you guys recommend me some good previous episodes? I'm pretty much open to any thing and I like mma as well so just any thing you enjoyed. Thanks.

My favourite is Victor Conte. The Balco labs guy.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Jippa posted:

In general he always has fun chats with MMA guys, but his absolute best stuff IMO is his comedian episodes. I'd reccomend you watch everything with Duncan Trussel and Doug Stanhope (go in order if you can). Joey Diaz is a name you're gonna want to burn into your mind, and his voice will warm your heart and lift your soul to a land of cocaine and Cubans. Go forth, young man, and binge that archive.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Any Joey Diaz episodes, early Bert Kreischers, Stamhopes are usually good, early solo eps with only him and Redban.

That's about it besides specific people who interest you.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Jippa posted:

Chael and War Machine (like him or hate him it's entertaining) eps are must listens. The Urijah episode was pretty good and the Enson/Chuck interview is good and explains a lot about the current JMMA scene.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Any episode featuring Steve Rinella is great. Sometimes Callen is with them, so be warned.

Also Greg Fitzsimmons.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
bas rutten

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

The comedian episodes are generally very good. You get to hear less of Joe pseudointellectually ponder the world's issues and talk more about what makes good comedy. If you do listen to the comedian episodes, start from the beginning as their backgrounds usually have a lot of great stories. For instance, it was interesting to hear Neal Brennan talk about from his perspective how things went down with the Chappelle Show.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I like the early Bryan Callen ones where he would tell stories about getting in fights, taking drugs, orgies, blowjobs in bars, etc.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Peter Giuliano is probably the best episode I can remember.

xtrmntallhippies
Aug 27, 2006
extra mean tall hippies
The first episode that sprang to my mind is the Dave Foley one

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
The Charlie Murphy one was good too.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Helical Nightmares posted:

The Charlie Murphy one was good too.

That episode is what made me start listening regularly to the show. Since then my interest has mainly petered out because I hate so much repetition but there are still some funny/interesting moments from time to time.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Also watch the two Amber Lyon episodes--watch them in order, as they actually have continuity.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

-Atom- posted:

Also Greg Fitzsimmons.

fitzdog owns

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Jippa posted:

If you like MMA, the Gene LeBell one was interesting and entertaining. Les Stroud, Chris Hadfield, and Randall Carlson were good too just cuz they were interesting. Then, listening to Dr. Mark Gordon followed by Brian Dunning followed by Dr. Rhonda Patrick (first appearance) in that order yields a fairly entertaining trifecta.

I'm new to the thread here but I don't find Joe too awfully funny, I mean I think he's a funny and cool dude but he's too alpha-y, I don't know what other word to use there. The psychedelic drug talks are always fun and intriguing, but when they start going on about "sacred geometry" I just wanna slap them upside the head. Maybe they know something I don't but that phrase just sounds so loving stupid.

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp
Any episodes between 50-140 are pretty solid. Start there.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This Steve Hilton interview is off to a great start. Let's hope Joe doesn't ask dumb questions.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Enson inoue was pretty good. That guy was a bad dude.

Can you guys who listen at desks or whatnot post when the onnit, squarespace and ting commercials end so us drivers can just skip ahead. Rogan busts like 12-18 min of commercials these days.

Kettlebellllssssss

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

One day there will be a fat torrent of all JRE ever minus the first 20 minutes.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Does he still do that thing where when the commercials start he says "Lots of people bitch about these commercials at the start, but we try to make them interesting. It's like a conversation instead of a pre-recorded ad. But maybe we should figure something else out." and then he just does the same 16 minute commercial block as always.

roach cum puddle
Jun 22, 2013

by Ralp

always be closing posted:

Enson inoue was pretty good. That guy was a bad dude.

Can you guys who listen at desks or whatnot post when the onnit, squarespace and ting commercials end so us drivers can just skip ahead. Rogan busts like 12-18 min of commercials these days.

Kettlebellllssssss

If it's a guest I'm not crazy for I'll just start it around the 30 minute mark. After listening to so many episodes and have heard Joe talk so much I don't really care if I miss 20 minutes of a conversation.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Cromulent posted:

Does he still do that thing where when the commercials start he says "Lots of people bitch about these commercials at the start, but we try to make them interesting. It's like a conversation instead of a pre-recorded ad. But maybe we should figure something else out." and then he just does the same 16 minute commercial block as always.

Unless his guest interrupts him and cracks a joke and then they ramble about something for a few minutes, those are usually funny. But he does do really long commercials.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I seem the remember the most recent Stanhope episode had some listenable commercials. What other episodes have good commercials where the guest mocks the whole thing or they go off on a tangent?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I miss the Fleshlight commercials.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
How was Dan Savage?

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Piquai Souban posted:

How was Dan Savage?
It was decent until Rogan starting going nuts about pot and saying there isn't any bad effects to smoking it no No NO NO NO. I shut it off at that point, and I think Dan Savage got pretty frustrated since he was agreeing with Rogan, and Joe wouldn't shut the gently caress up.

Risket fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 18, 2014

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Risket posted:

It was decent until Rogan starting going nuts about pot and saying there isn't any bad effects to smoking it no No NO NO NO. I shut it off at that point, and I think Dan Savage got pretty frustrated since he was agreeing with Rogan, and Joe wouldn't shut the gently caress.

I genuinely appreciate that we have this thread to pre-vet episodes with people who have a similar level of tolerance for nonsense.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I agree. Thank you.

Everyone's favorite joey diaz will be on today. Hopefully redban stays away, but even he cannot ruin @madflavor.

Risket
Apr 3, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Piquai Souban posted:

I genuinely appreciate that we have this thread to pre-vet episodes with people who have a similar level of tolerance for nonsense.
It was a good episode until then. I've decided to check out more Dan Savage stuff based on the first half of the episode.

Basically Joe needs to stick with MMA and comedians, it's his wheel house. Sometimes musicians, but all interviews with musicians are hit or miss (see any interview on Marc Maron's show with a musician.) Otherwise we get poo poo like the Neil De Grasse Tyson episode where he argued for 1/2 an hour about whether the moon landing was fake or not.

I just realized that I'm complaining about something that I listen to for free. That's me, I'm the entitled American...

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I dont think youre being unreasonable though, I think we can all agree that when rogans on he's tough to beat.

Billy gibbons on marc maron was great this week.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Joe is so dumb

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Did Joe really not realize that there is a safety issue involved in putting your seat in an upright position during landing, and its not all about "control". I really couldn't believe that.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Risket posted:

It was decent until Rogan starting going nuts about pot and saying there isn't any bad effects to smoking it no No NO NO NO. I shut it off at that point, and I think Dan Savage got pretty frustrated since he was agreeing with Rogan, and Joe wouldn't shut the gently caress up.

What the gently caress was wrong with Joe that episode? I must have tried listening to it 2 or 3 times before having to shut it off each time. It was like he was trying to be contrarian to everything the guy brought up for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Did Joe really not realize that there is a safety issue involved in putting your seat in an upright position during landing, and its not all about "control". I really couldn't believe that.

As became implicitly evident when they pursued the discussion, it's because Joe travels almost exclusively in 1st class and it simply hadn't occured to him that folded down seats would impede cattle-class. I was also dumbfounded when he made that point until it became clear what was up with his "well it wouldn't help in first class" comment. Dan Savage, on the whole, really showed how dumb Rogan is sometimes. I also got the sense that Rogan tried to contardict everything Dan Savage said.