Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Barristicide posted:

Thanks, Bobkatt! I guess I got a bit intimidated by the different publishers and different title names. Much appreciated!

Yep Madman is super ginchy and a comic that everyone should read. The story and art is amazing and its one of my favorite series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep Madman is super ginchy and a comic that everyone should read. The story and art is amazing and its one of my favorite series.

I agree, I should probably read Madman Atomica.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I forget, is there any significant format difference between OSHCs and Marvel's regular hardcovers? I've decided that I want to own Thor: God of Thunder in physical books, but I'm wondering if I should wait for the larger collection that comes out in the fall. If it's just a matter of thickness, I don't care.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Hakkesshu posted:

I forget, is there any significant format difference between OSHCs and Marvel's regular hardcovers? I've decided that I want to own Thor: God of Thunder in physical books, but I'm wondering if I should wait for the larger collection that comes out in the fall. If it's just a matter of thickness, I don't care.

The books are 1 or 1.5 inches taller, too. Plus, nerd cred.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Regular hardcovers (the Premieres) are the size of regular TPBs. Their oversized HCs are the size of their omnibus line, a little smaller than DC's Absolutes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

They're thicker, taller, and may or may not have full wraparound color printing on the hardcover itself.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Hakkesshu posted:

Also, OSHCs tend to be a pretty reasonable deal when you're buying comics, while the standard hardcovers have always felt like a waste of money to me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, I agree, I never buy them myself since it's bad value. I just really want to read Godbomb again in a nice hardcover right loving now.

But... It's probably smarter to wait.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Oh, I agree, I never buy them myself since it's bad value. I just really want to read Godbomb again in a nice hardcover right loving now.

But... It's probably smarter to wait.
Ah, but the one that comes out in November will be b-e-a-utiful.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rebranding strikes again. :argh:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You think that's bad? I thought I had them all almost a decade ago!

But one of the biggest pet peeves in my own collection is almost having a matching set of these:

This print run is pretty easy to find in hardcover, but the trade paperbacks are surprisingly, annoyingly rare nowadays.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

You think that's bad? I thought I had them all almost a decade ago!

But one of the biggest pet peeves in my own collection is almost having a matching set of these:

This print run is pretty easy to find in hardcover, but the trade paperbacks are surprisingly, annoyingly rare nowadays.

I feel your pain. My Transmetropolitan run is mixed. And don't even get my started on finding my missing Kabuki hardcovers. Those will be soft forever.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I bought my Sandman trades over the course of years from high school until a year or two after college, in three different towns, from book stores, comic shops, and Amazon, and randomly managed to get a matching set of the rainbow covers. Course, I gave them away when I got the Absolutes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I know this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

If I want to buy Hickman's complete Avengers run in collected format, is there really no way to avoid the overlapping issues between Avengers and the big Infinity hardcover? That seems poorly thought out.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I know this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it at the moment.

If I want to buy Hickman's complete Avengers run in collected format, is there really no way to avoid the overlapping issues between Avengers and the big Infinity hardcover? That seems poorly thought out.

I'm going to wait until it's (hopefully) collected in Omnis since. They haven't announced anything yet but I can dream!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Senor Candle posted:

I'm going to wait until it's (hopefully) collected in Omnis since. They haven't announced anything yet but I can dream!

I'm doing the same and hoping for the best. I got the first two Avengers trades and the first New Avengers trade and love it so far but due to $$$$$ concerns at the moment and the wonky way that Infinity ties in I'm just going to omni-wait.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I expect there to be one OSHC of everything up to Infinity and then another after.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I expect there to be one OSHC of everything up to Infinity and then another after.

Aren't those OSHC only usually like two trades?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

Aren't those OSHC only usually like two trades?

They sometimes do longer ones but they may release the whole shebang as an omnibus in a few years. Probably on the time table of the F4 omni releases.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've been looking at Wolverine And X-Men By Jason Aaron Omnibus HC; but I notice that it's missing two issues? Collecting WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #1-35, #38-42 and ANNUAL #1. Any idea why 36 & 37 would not be there? Also, is this the whole run? Or am I left with a cliffhanger?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

obi_ant posted:

I've been looking at Wolverine And X-Men By Jason Aaron Omnibus HC; but I notice that it's missing two issues? Collecting WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #1-35, #38-42 and ANNUAL #1. Any idea why 36 & 37 would not be there? Also, is this the whole run? Or am I left with a cliffhanger?

Those are the Battle of the Atom tie-in issues. They aren't really relevant to anything that's going on in WatX.

And yes, it's the whole run.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Those are the Battle of the Atom tie-in issues. They aren't really relevant to anything that's going on in WatX.

And yes, it's the whole run.

Sweet! Thanks for the info.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Was going to buy JLA vol 5 today at my LCBS, but then I noticed they skipped over Tower of Babel for some reason. Any idea why the gently caress they would do that, especially since it's a pretty big storyline and the older TPB that collects it is out of print? (Other than, you know, that DC's TPB dept blows?)

Edit: never mind, I see in the amazon reviews for vol 4 that the description is wrong and it contains the issues up through #46. (I haven't bought vol 4 yet because I read the Morisson issues elsewhere before the TPB came out.)

Brocktoon fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 14, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm still trying to help my friend track down Morrison's JLA Volume 2 hardcover at a reasonable price, but that ain't happening.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Brocktoon posted:

Was going to buy JLA vol 5 today at my LCBS, but then I noticed they skipped over Tower of Babel for some reason. Any idea why the gently caress they would do that, especially since it's a pretty big storyline and the older TPB that collects it is out of print? (Other than, you know, that DC's TPB dept blows?)

Edit: never mind, I see in the amazon reviews for vol 4 that the description is wrong and it contains the issues up through #46. (I haven't bought vol 4 yet because I read the Morisson issues elsewhere before the TPB came out.)

Aye, the hardcovers only include the Morrison/Porter/Dell issues (so they exclude the fill-in arcs by Mark Waid and Mark Millar, and I think the great one-off by DeMatteis where the JLA encounters Hal Jordan as the Spectre for the first time).

Not as shambolic as the New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 3, I suppose, but that series is getting a new line of trades starting later this year (I hope the Levitz/Giffen Legion gets the same treatment but I'm not holding my breath).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

Not as shambolic as the New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 3, I suppose, but that series is getting a new line of trades starting later this year (I hope the Levitz/Giffen Legion gets the same treatment but I'm not holding my breath).

Dan Didio hates the Legion and Geoff Johns is bored with them so I doubt we'll get much in the way of new trades.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd heard that Levitz pulled rank to restrict Legion collections when he was publisher but I didn't know about DiDio disliking them.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Aside from the Glory HC coming out today which you should buy if you ever want to own the 1st G0dland Celestial edition without paying OOP prices it's been reprinted and IST has it in stock.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Is Godland good? It seems weird and interesting.
I picked up the first Glory trade. It was neat and different enough, but it did not grab me.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I picked up the first Glory trade. It was neat and different enough, but it did not grab me.

I like Godland. Weird and interesting is about right. I'm picking it up in the Celestial Editions, though, and was wondering if anyone knows when they plan to release the last one?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

StumblyWumbly posted:

It's pretty good and I like the art but it felt like it kept wandering up its rear end as it went on, particularly near the end.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
How are Image's deluxe hardcovers, anyways? I already have the first three trades of Saga on Comixology, but I kinda want to pre-order the HC if they're typically good quality and/or big.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

How are Image's deluxe hardcovers, anyways? I already have the first three trades of Saga on Comixology, but I kinda want to pre-order the HC if they're typically good quality and/or big.

I have the Y collections and they rule. It probably varies by creator for Image, Chew and Skullkickers are also great, but they have the glossy printed cover instead of Y's dustcover.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

StumblyWumbly posted:

I have the Y collections and they rule. It probably varies by creator for Image, Chew and Skullkickers are also great, but they have the glossy printed cover instead of Y's dustcover.

Y the Last Man was Vertigo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I have the Chew Omnivore editions and they are great, but I also don't look at things with great scrutiny. If nothing else, it didn't crumble in my hand and I didn't notice anything getting lost in the gutters.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Alright, cool. I was mostly mildly worried because it's $30 and I'm used to hardcovers being way more expensive.

If it's built okay and there's no terrible gutter loss, I'll chalk it up as a win.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Alright, cool. I was mostly mildly worried because it's $30 and I'm used to hardcovers being way more expensive.

If it's built okay and there's no terrible gutter loss, I'll chalk it up as a win.

Prestige format hardcovers--basically hardcovers for a standard trade size story--are often overpriced. When they collect multiple trades worth of material like Glory, Godland, Marvel's oversized hardcovers, the new Invisibles hardcovers, generally they're the best deal you're going to find short of buying cheap back issues.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Don't know if this is old news but if you're in the UK there's one of those overstock-type bookshops called either "Book World Bargains" or "Bargain World Books" (can't remember which) and they do a decent range of overstocked Marvel trades and HCs.

Went into the Blackpool one yesterday and got the Longshot and Death of Jean DeWolff trades for £4.99 each, Dr. Strange Season One HC for £5.99 and the complete Wolverine: The Best There Is trade for £6.99. Quite a decent range and some newer stuff too (the Ellis Avengers OGN, first Savage Wolverine HC, First Nova HC, etc.). Also saw the Powers OSHC's 4 and 5 for £7.99 each and the Wolverine Admantium Edition HC for £80.

Quite rare for us get stuff like this in the UK so thought I'd give it a mention.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Shameless posted:

Don't know if this is old news but if you're in the UK there's one of those overstock-type bookshops called either "Book World Bargains" or "Bargain World Books" (can't remember which) and they do a decent range of overstocked Marvel trades and HCs.

"Bargain Book Time" is what I've always seen them called. They're great for picking up cheap trades provided you don't mind it being a crapshoot for what they actually have in stock.

They have an online store too, just incase you're like me and constantly have them open nearby for like 6 months before disappearing right as you start taking them for granted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I own the first 3 Chew hardcovers and they are great. Pretty durable as far as I can tell, but I don't do anything drastic with them. Also good price for 10 issues plus misc drawings/sketches.