Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

SiGmA_X posted:

I leave 2/3 my jobs off my résumé... Why would I include things from my prior career or retail?? Does that make my résumé dishonest? None of the résumé editors have thought so, including HR people from my company as well as my school...

There's a pretty big difference between leaving out some of the little unrelated jobs you worked at before finishing your degree and leaving out your most recent and related job.

To be clear, I think the point when you'd get in trouble would be in places other than your resume. Many firms have you fill out online forms that explicitly require you to give all of your work history for a set number of years into the past and explain any gaps. An interview question like 'what have you been doing since graduation' is extremely common. My firm (and I assume most others) contract with an outside company to run background investigations on all potential hires. Those are the points in the chain when you can really gently caress yourself trying to hide a recent termination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Yeah the difference really is between leaving something off your resume because it's not relevant and leaving something off because you're trying to hide it.

Maybe they won't catch on, but in this profession where there's quite a bit of oversight, the fewer skeletons in your closet the better. Again, this doesn't matter as much on resumes but definitely matters on things like SEC-mandated employment history lists (like the FINRA application I just filled out...)

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I wasn't talking specifically about a resume, but while we're on the subject yes I think people do expect honesty on a resume. Makes me wonder how your firm is run...
You're going to get nowhere in finance with this attitude.

Edit: oh you're in compliance, that explains it.

Harry fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 3, 2014

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
What does that even mean?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The "it was partly their fault, partly mine" is worrisome because that phrase could mean anything between "they didn't provide proper training and I made a mistake that had a big negative impact" to "I made a bunch of racist/sexist comments and a coworker was too sensitive about it."

Worst case scenarios, but people don't seem to give any benefit of the doubt when hiring.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

chupacabraTERROR posted:

What does that even mean?

What he means is that by you being in compliance, you see everything in black and white with no gray. If a job application says "list your employment history" his comment implies you're going to list everything down to your high school gas pumping job as well as listing your grade school GPA.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Bloody Queef posted:

I'm not trying to be harsh on you, but how did you get fired from a government job so quickly? And what position was it?

This is an education thing for the thread, not ripping into you.

I was 23, I guess you could say not knowing how to keep my mouth shut.

It was LIM for DFAS.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Client told us when she opened account she wasn't sure if she was married filing jointly or not but she gave us her husband's social security number. Since we're about to do ES#2, I called her with the clear "Hi this is Xibanya with [name] and associates..." and asked if she was MFJ only for her to say "Why do you want to know?!"

Because I'm doing your taxes, stupid.

cmdrpinky
Oct 1, 2003

Hi accounting thread. I have some questions, and could use your input.

I'll start with an overview of my situation.

I'm 25, just getting out after about ~7 years in the army, and was looking at a career in accounting. I took an acct 101 course online and it managed to keep my interest, which is why I'm considering this route.

I'm starting school at a community college in georgia this fall, through the veteran affairs vocational rehab program.

I'm interested in pursuing an AS in Business Admin, with the hope of transferring to Georgia State or University of Georgia to finish a 4 year program.

link for current program: http://www.gpc.edu/business/

This is my first visit back to school since I was 17, and I am mildly apprehensive about it all since I'm years behind the power curve and out of practice.

Questions:

How welcoming is the industry to a new non traditional grad? Is it easier or harder to get started?

Will starting at a community college hurt my chances?

What are the most common jobs for a vanilla 4 year grad vs CPA? should I even worry about that at this point?

Are entry level positions spread evenly throughout the US? Would I have an equal opportunity to start out in the southeast just coming out of school VS relocating?

What is the level of academic rigor typical for 4 year programs? Are there things that I can be doing now to help myself? Things to expect?

Does having a super high GPA significantly affect the likelyhood of getting interships/ job offers? (I would guess yes)

How do internships work with this industry? What can be expected for someone just getting started at school?

What types of people/ personalities do best in this field? What kind do you often find yourself working with?

a fair number of these questions are probably putting the cart way before the horse, but I tend to worry excessively at the outset of any large venture.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

cmdrpinky posted:

Hi accounting thread. I have some questions, and could use your input.

I'll start with an overview of my situation.

I'm 25, just getting out after about ~7 years in the army, and was looking at a career in accounting. I took an acct 101 course online and it managed to keep my interest, which is why I'm considering this route.

I'm starting school at a community college in georgia this fall, through the veteran affairs vocational rehab program.

I'm interested in pursuing an AS in Business Admin, with the hope of transferring to Georgia State or University of Georgia to finish a 4 year program.

link for current program: http://www.gpc.edu/business/

This is my first visit back to school since I was 17, and I am mildly apprehensive about it all since I'm years behind the power curve and out of practice.

Questions:

How welcoming is the industry to a new non traditional grad? Is it easier or harder to get started?

Will starting at a community college hurt my chances?

What are the most common jobs for a vanilla 4 year grad vs CPA? should I even worry about that at this point?

Are entry level positions spread evenly throughout the US? Would I have an equal opportunity to start out in the southeast just coming out of school VS relocating?

What is the level of academic rigor typical for 4 year programs? Are there things that I can be doing now to help myself? Things to expect?

Does having a super high GPA significantly affect the likelyhood of getting interships/ job offers? (I would guess yes)

How do internships work with this industry? What can be expected for someone just getting started at school?

What types of people/ personalities do best in this field? What kind do you often find yourself working with?

a fair number of these questions are probably putting the cart way before the horse, but I tend to worry excessively at the outset of any large venture.

I'll take a swing at some of these in no particular order.

I returned to school at 26/27 and started in a community college before transferring to a 4 year school. I didn't even have the benefit of a good excuse like being in the army. With consistently high grades and a knack for interviewing I was able to get a job at my #1 choice big 4 firm in my #1 choice city. It's totally doable.

Entry level positions are going to be focused around major cities because that's where the companies are. If you can stay around in your area for work depends on a lot of things including what career path you want to go down.

GPA is more of a minimum requirement than something that will get you a job on its own. Most companies just use a minimum GPA as a way to cut their stack of applicants down. Work experience, participation in student orgs, and good interview skills will do more for you once you get past the ~3.5 range or so.

On that point, internships are crazy important. You should be looking for one starting early fall in your junior year if at all possible since they hire for the following summer starting then. Don't miss any campus recruiting events! This is probably going to be the hardest part if you're transferring from a community college. I didn't have a decent internship until the summer between senior year and grad school and it made things more difficult than they should have been.

On personality types you'll find yourself working with, the answer is high functioning borderline alcoholics

e: and not sure getting a AS is all that valuable and if you can get into a 4-year quicker without it than go for it. University of Georgia seems to have the better undergrad program out of the 2 you mentioned from a quick search.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 5, 2014

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
I got a degree in history, realized it was useless, and now have an accounting degree at the age of 29. I graduated this December and just did an internship at a public accounting firm. I'm now back in school for my master's and accepted my firm's job offer. No one really cares as long as you have the degree and a GPA over I would say 3.25. Your best bet for an internship will be in public accounting. Go to all of the job fairs and get involved in Beta Alpha Psi. At least at my school the vast majority of BAP people got offers. Getting an accounting degree isn't terribly difficult. You just have to invest a lot of time into it.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Took REG last Thursday (my first) and have felt like absolute poo poo since then. I did not feel confident AT ALL coming out of the test and have been like legit depressed since then, and have found it impossible to concentrate on FAR. Turns out I got an 91 :psyduck:

I feel dumb now for worrying so much... and now I am actually a little excited to get FAR going.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

abagofcheetos posted:

Took REG last Thursday (my first) and have felt like absolute poo poo since then. I did not feel confident AT ALL coming out of the test and have been like legit depressed since then, and have found it impossible to concentrate on FAR. Turns out I got an 91 :psyduck:

I feel dumb now for worrying so much... and now I am actually a little excited to get FAR going.
Congrats!!

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Got an 80 on my Audit section, was really worried because I didn't have much faith in CPAexcel and I didn't study the prescribed amount. Time to de-stress this weekend!

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

SiGmA_X posted:

Congrats!!

Thanks!

And to cmdrpinky, do not worry about being older or having a weird previous history. I went back to school at 27, and even started with community college classes, and was able to land a B4 public job. Make sure you have a solid GPA, join a profession organization (Beta Alpha Psi, Ascend, whoever is big on your campus), and work on getting an internship. Most internships will be for the summer between your junior and senior year, and are recruited at the beginning of the junior school year, so figure out what your equivalent of that is and aim for being interview ready for then.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Bugamol posted:

I did not get my CPA. I've posted here a few times, but the general story is that because I work for a smaller company that is going through rapid growth I've had the opportunity to gain an array of skills including full cycle month end close, cost accounting, report writing (SQL, SSRS, and Excel), budgeting, payroll, sales/use/cat tax compliance, etc., etc..

I was actually recruited to work at a very large and very well known company in my area via linkedin. My official title will be "Financial Analyst 2" I am currently a "Staff Accountant", but was on track to be promoted to "Senior Staff Accountant" this year.

Chiming in to say I started my new job two weeks ago and so far it's a night and day difference over my old job. Pretty much better in every regard.

My advice to people just starting college. Make sure you have at least a 3.0 (preferably 3.5) GPA and a relevant internship. It will breakdown the barriers to entry.

My advice to people like me who had a lovely GPA coming out of college (2.X) is to just take the first accounting related job you can get and work your rear end off. People stopped asking/caring about my GPA after about my second year of work experience and I got a much better job at 2.5 years of experience.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Western Governors University is now offering a MS in Accounting that's online and pretty cheap ($6k/yr). But they are requiring a BS in Accounting in order to start :eng99:

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

abagofcheetos posted:

Thanks!

And to cmdrpinky, do not worry about being older or having a weird previous history. I went back to school at 27, and even started with community college classes, and was able to land a B4 public job. Make sure you have a solid GPA, join a profession organization (Beta Alpha Psi, Ascend, whoever is big on your campus), and work on getting an internship. Most internships will be for the summer between your junior and senior year, and are recruited at the beginning of the junior school year, so figure out what your equivalent of that is and aim for being interview ready for then.

As the " hiring " partner in my firm I would say that this is good, practical advice. More or less the rules for hiring are not as rigid as they once were. And personally I think that is a good thing.

But still making good grades, getting an internship or two and so forth do improve one's chances.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
How long did it take for people to get their degree's after graduation? I'm still waiting for them to send my transcript with my graduation notice to get my NTS. It's been about a month, is that normal?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

gently caress REG

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I have my first day tomorrow as an audit intern (large local firm. Remnants of a Big 4 after they pulled out of the market). I've never had any kind of accounting or bookkeeping job before. I have no idea what to expect. First week is training (computer systems and methodology), and by the end of the week I'll have my first client assignment. I've heard I'll probably be auditing something like cash or fixed assets. How does that usually work?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

Euphoriaphone posted:

I have my first day tomorrow as an audit intern (large local firm. Remnants of a Big 4 after they pulled out of the market). I've never had any kind of accounting or bookkeeping job before. I have no idea what to expect. First week is training (computer systems and methodology), and by the end of the week I'll have my first client assignment. I've heard I'll probably be auditing something like cash or fixed assets. How does that usually work?

You don't know what you're doing, you need to have your hand held the whole way, and you'll scratch your head a lot. Have fun.

Once it starts to click it will be a lot easier. Do yourself a huge favor and try to figure out the current year workpapers without just "doing what they did last year."

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
"doing what they did last year" is like 70% of the job in tax accounting

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Good Citizen posted:

gently caress REG

gently caress FAR

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

abagofcheetos posted:

gently caress FAR

This x100

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Probably a silly question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

I'm going back to school to change careers from insurance to accounting, working full time and taking classes online. I figure an internship is going to be part of the program later on. Are most/any accounting internships paid, or does it depend on the firm? If not paid, does anyone have advice or experience on how to do an internship when you need to work full time too?

Thanks!

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Euphoriaphone posted:

You're hosed.

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

Euphoriaphone posted:

By my math you have one more day to get out.

Save yourself.

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

scribe jones posted:

You're hosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsWCr8h2SKQ

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

Euphoriaphone posted:

Good luck. Ask some questions, not too many, be respectful, friendly, show some understated eagerness and try not to do anything too ridiculous.

Is this a summer internship or does this position potentially lead to a full time position ?

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001

BlueArmyMan posted:

Probably a silly question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

I'm going back to school to change careers from insurance to accounting, working full time and taking classes online. I figure an internship is going to be part of the program later on. Are most/any accounting internships paid, or does it depend on the firm? If not paid, does anyone have advice or experience on how to do an internship when you need to work full time too?

Thanks!

I would imagine it depends on where you live but there are a lot of paid internships where I am (Southern California) and consequently those were the only ones I applied for. The bigger need is participating in the schools accounting association/Beta Alpha Psi and especially attending any meet the firms events.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
You should head over to r/accounting so you can post about how life is hopeless if you aren't in public/big 4 while also making threads asking if it ever gets better.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Felter Chesthard posted:

I would imagine it depends on where you live but there are a lot of paid internships where I am (Southern California) and consequently those were the only ones I applied for. The bigger need is participating in the schools accounting association/Beta Alpha Psi and especially attending any meet the firms events.

I've read that too, and wondered how I'm going to pull that off with my setup. The school is Penn State World Campus, for what it's worth.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Euphoriaphone posted:

You'll do everything wrong and the senior will spend time fixing your mistakes. Figuring out why you're doing the tests you're doing is helpful, but if you're completely stuck and nobody is around to help don't feel too bad about looking at PY workpapers to get your bearings.

Or move into the ITGC testing side, where a password control is a password control is a password control.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
How do I list that I interned with the same company for 2 periods on my resume? Right now I have my job duties there, and a subsection for when I interned.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Audax posted:

How do I list that I interned with the same company for 2 periods on my resume? Right now I have my job duties there, and a subsection for when I interned.
2 line items, probably? My coworkers (corp accounting, not public) have multiple line items for different departments or positions within our company, same with most all of my IT friends.

Company dates most recent
Title
Duties and things you rock at

Company old dates
Partner bitch aka intern
Duties and things you rock at

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

seymore posted:

Good luck. Ask some questions, not too many, be respectful, friendly, show some understated eagerness and try not to do anything too ridiculous.

Is this a summer internship or does this position potentially lead to a full time position ?

It's just a summer internship, but I've been told successful internships usually lead to full time offers. I'm not sure what to do if I do get an offer because I want to move away from the area. This firm used to be PwC, and there's a PwC office where I'd like to move. Do you think that will help me at all?

What's the general hierarchy of an accounting firm? Is it Staff > Associate > Senior > Manager > Partner > Principal?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Euphoriaphone posted:

It's just a summer internship, but I've been told successful internships usually lead to full time offers. I'm not sure what to do if I do get an offer because I want to move away from the area. This firm used to be PwC, and there's a PwC office where I'd like to move. Do you think that will help me at all?

What's the general hierarchy of an accounting firm? Is it Staff > Associate > Senior > Manager > Partner > Principal?

Associate and staff are generally the same thing.

Regarding your internship, unless you gently caress things up royally then you will get an offer at the end of your internship. The rate is over 90%. That's generally for the office you're interning at, though. Either way, with a PwC internship under your belt you'll get offers almost any firm you interview with

Now, if you want to move then you need to be very clear that that is where you want to be and have a reason why you want to be there when it gets to interviews/acceptance time. The people I know who just said things like "I want to move to a big city" without being specific generally did not get offers. Also, get an idea for the size and competitiveness of the office you're looking at. Places like San Francisco and San Diego are hard to get into because they have low turnover and people want to be there.

Good luck. I hope you're able to get what you're looking for

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

Associate and staff are generally the same thing.

Regarding your internship, unless you gently caress things up royally then you will get an offer at the end of your internship. The rate is over 90%. That's generally for the office you're interning at, though. Either way, with a PwC internship under your belt you'll get offers almost any firm you interview with

Now, if you want to move then you need to be very clear that that is where you want to be and have a reason why you want to be there when it gets to interviews/acceptance time. The people I know who just said things like "I want to move to a big city" without being specific generally did not get offers. Also, get an idea for the size and competitiveness of the office you're looking at. Places like San Francisco and San Diego are hard to get into because they have low turnover and people want to be there.

Good luck. I hope you're able to get what you're looking for

I want to move to Portland, since I'm from Oregon originally. Hopefully it isn't as competitive there. The firm used to be PwC, but PwC pulled out of the market because it wasn't profitable enough. I really wish I could put "[firm name] (formerly PwC)" on my resume.

I'm starting my first client tomorrow. It's a first year business. Not a small one, either. Lots of assets across multiple divisions. I feel like this is going to be a difficult client to start with. Doing mostly unaccrued liabilities testing and fixed asset rollforwards, which we went over a bit in the training today. Seems relatively straightforward, but the entire process still seems arcane to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Euphoriaphone posted:

I want to move to Portland, since I'm from Oregon originally. Hopefully it isn't as competitive there. The firm used to be PwC, but PwC pulled out of the market because it wasn't profitable enough. I really wish I could put "[firm name] (formerly PwC)" on my resume.

I'm starting my first client tomorrow. It's a first year business. Not a small one, either. Lots of assets across multiple divisions. I feel like this is going to be a difficult client to start with. Doing mostly unaccrued liabilities testing and fixed asset rollforwards, which we went over a bit in the training today. Seems relatively straightforward, but the entire process still seems arcane to me

If PWC recently pulled out of the area, they'll most likely recognize the new firm name you interned for. If it was a while ago, the association doesn't matter anymore. The power behind B4 is the name and their internal procedures, protocols, and software packages, not the employees.

Also based on how the transaction was structured, you may be able to put fdba or fka PWC on your resume. Look at a partner's LinkedIn profile.