Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Of course, there is still the matter of what needs to be on first: Andy himself or a hearty gently caress YOU CHRIS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Ape Agitator posted:

a pun run is a force of nature that answers to no man.

NO MAN!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I've been listening to The Bugle due to this show and it's remarkable how John Oliver is incredible no matter where he is or what he's doing but Andy is loving insufferable without John on the Bugle to balance him

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like Andy but he is definitely best as a pair with John.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

FlyingCheese posted:

I agree with everything posted here, I only wish it was a little longer. If Smuggy McSmug Bill Maher can do an hour, this show can too. A week wait for a half hour show isn't enough, it's just too good.
I'm of the opinion that either the Weekly Show needs to go a full hour every week, or they need to add a second 30-minute show in the middle of the week so they can cover events in a slightly more timely manner and become the Bi-Weekly Show. Like, on Wednesday or something.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

I've been listening to The Bugle due to this show and it's remarkable how John Oliver is incredible no matter where he is or what he's doing but Andy is loving insufferable without John on the Bugle to balance him

They balance each other. Andy's bullshit is tempered by John's refusal to engage with it, and John's occasional anxiety and indignation is countered by Andy's, well, bullshit.

While Andy's solo Bugle bits aren't so great, his stand-up is quite good.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 18, 2014

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

VagueRant posted:

Also how the gently caress has he not brought Andy in on his fancy new show at least once? Come on. Give him the Joliver Bump.
and the image of Mitch McConnel.

Maybe Andy has been on the show. You have to wonder, where did they get that image of Mitch McConnel?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Dreylad posted:

They balance each other. Andy's bullshit is tempered by John's refusal to engage with it, and John occasional anxiety is indignation is countered by Andy's, well, bullshit.

This is a pretty succinct way of putting it. Andy's pun runs are great, if you have John/Chris groaning along with you. The episodes leading up to Last Week Tonight's first episode had some great segments of John anxiously having no idea how to deal with stress/his face on the side of busses, and Andy was there to joke/bullshit right through it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

FlyingCheese posted:

I agree with everything posted here, I only wish it was a little longer. If Smuggy McSmug Bill Maher can do an hour, this show can too. A week wait for a half hour show isn't enough, it's just too good.

Bill Maher does ten minutes, an interview, then lets his panel argue until five minutes of new rules. I agree that Last Week Tonight is excellent and there needs to be a lot more of it, but that isn't the best comparison to make.

(I also wish we had more outspoken atheists like Maher, just not like Maher with his ugly anti-Islam. Better to be anti-religion, you'll either ruffle fewer feathers or more of the right ones.)

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Bill Maher does ten minutes, an interview, then lets his panel argue until five minutes of new rules. I agree that Last Week Tonight is excellent and there needs to be a lot more of it, but that isn't the best comparison to make.

(I also wish we had more outspoken atheists like Maher, just not like Maher with his ugly anti-Islam. Better to be anti-religion, you'll either ruffle fewer feathers or more of the right ones.)

I would love for you to tell me who "the right ones" are. :rolleyes:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JohnSherman posted:

I think he means right as people on the right.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

JohnSherman posted:

Anyone who uses the guise of Christianity to spread hate speech, from televangelists like Pat Robertson and Glenn Beck to the religious right of this country.

I don't hate the religious, just most of their figureheads and what they accomplish.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Anyone who uses the guise of Christianity to spread hate speech, from televangelists like Pat Robertson and Glenn Beck to the religious right of this country.

I don't hate the religious, just most of their figureheads and what they accomplish.

It'd be nice, and I'm saying this as a Catholic, for there to be more popular and well known atheists that weren't subsequently known to also be dicks about it. Religions need critics in order to improve, both from within and from without, or otherwise it just ends up a damned echo chamber, and the echo can be quite disastrous. Stewart and his associates delve into it at times, but they're more on the 'this is how its supposed to work you nitwits' end of the spectrum, rather than a direct deconstruction and weighing of values therein.

I'm occasionally left wondering sometimes what would have happened if the Red Scare weren't a thing, and America hadn't buckled down so fervently on God and Capitalism so as to distance themselves from the Soviets. I mean, its around and in the aftermath of that, that a lot of the current idiots seem to have come out of.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Bill Maher is the last person anyone should emulate, for any reason.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Bill Maher is an Islamophobe and an anti-vaxer.

With John Oliver, HBO subscribers don't have to pretend to like Bill Maher anymore.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Astro Nut posted:

It'd be nice, and I'm saying this as a Catholic, for there to be more popular and well known atheists that weren't subsequently known to also be dicks about it.

Thank you, that's very much the point I'm trying to make. Atheists arrived at a logical conclusion, and I wish more were interested in sharing that rather than spreading stories about dumb Christians or anything else. It's quite likely that people have already seen these stories and shaken their collective heads. Makes me wish there was a better message to send than "your entire spiritual life was a lie!"

Ricky Gervais is a good example that illustrates both sides of my point. He has embraced atheism and shared some of what that viewpoint grants you, but he's a big part of the "LOL Christianity" echo chamber that I have no interest in joining.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Thank you, that's very much the point I'm trying to make. Atheists arrived at a logical conclusion, and I wish more were interested in sharing that rather than spreading stories about dumb Christians or anything else. It's quite likely that people have already seen these stories and shaken their collective heads. Makes me wish there was a better message to send than "your entire spiritual life was a lie!"

Ricky Gervais is a good example that illustrates both sides of my point. He has embraced atheism and shared some of what that viewpoint grants you, but he's a big part of the "LOL Christianity" echo chamber that I have no interest in joining.

Problem is the two sides that engage in these conversations have made it pretty central to their identity. The angry atheist very much included. For the atheist who doesn't believe and sees no reason to make it part of their lives it's just a non-issue, like not being a vegan, or not playing golf.

Like how am I going to get excited over talking about how not being a rodeo clown is a thing, I just don't give a poo poo, but I have nothing against them.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Echo Chamber posted:

Bill Maher is an Islamophobe and an anti-vaxer.

With John Oliver, HBO subscribers don't have to pretend to like Bill Maher anymore.

Imagine if Bill Maher's popularity nose-dives and John Oliver gets to take his spot. They could throw a televised version of The Bugle in there!

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

IRQ posted:

Problem is the two sides that engage in these conversations have made it pretty central to their identity. The angry atheist very much included. For the atheist who doesn't believe and sees no reason to make it part of their lives it's just a non-issue, like not being a vegan, or not playing golf.

Like how am I going to get excited over talking about how not being a rodeo clown is a thing, I just don't give a poo poo, but I have nothing against them.

I suppose one way a person might frame it, is having the argument as 'here is how you can love and have a fulfilled life without needing a spiritual/religious reinforcement', rather than 'religion sucks, ruins everything, and here's why!'. But that does vary somewhat, as naturally the reasons for Atheism vary as well. Sometimes its, as television most commonly depicts, disagreement with or dissent against religious belief, whether one a person has previously had or that they see in others - ie, the whole 'how can there be a God if bad stuff happens?!' train of thought. For others, they - fairly enough - do not see sufficient evidence that supports the existence of some kind of higher power, and are satisfied to base their life and existence in things that can be tested, verified, and proven, finding certainty in things that are actually certain. For others, they do not need a god of any kind because they instead have the natural beauty of the universe itself, a vast, intricate mechanism that is so many regards far easier to understand, based in mechanics and logic, yet at such an unfathomable scale that it brings out true awe.

Needless to say, the kind of Catholic upbringing I had, both from family and from my schools, was fairly open minded. RE wasn't just reinforcement of our own faith - but quite often studying and understand others, or the lack thereof. Hearing the way some places handle it in the States (though I imagine its more than just there) makes me shudder.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably not actually related but the Washington Slurs lost their team name trademark today. Unfortunately this has happened before and they got it appealed but maybe this time good can win. Should be funny to see if John becomes mad with power.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Now the NSA can legally brand themselves as the "Washington Redskins".

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Probably not actually related but the Washington Slurs lost their team name trademark today. Unfortunately this has happened before and they got it appealed but maybe this time good can win. Should be funny to see if John becomes mad with power.

It's interesting how much of what he talks about then changes. POM, the FCC, and now the Redskins have been lambasted and subsequently have had things happen to change it. Can't say much about causation for the first and third, but regardless, it could make for a great segment if he goes for an small-and-obscure-but-definite shitpile just to see what happens.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

Now the NSA can legally brand themselves as the "Washington Redskins".

I think until the appeal goes through their trademark is still in effect. I read an article that made a good point that while they may beat it in court they're losing in public opinion as the NFL isn't too happy with the whole situation.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It kinda surprises me that with all the heat the Redskins are (rightfully) getting for their name, you never hear anyone talk about the absolutely-racist-as-poo poo Cleveland Indians logo.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

raditts posted:

It kinda surprises me that with all the heat the Redskins are (rightfully) getting for their name, you never hear anyone talk about the absolutely-racist-as-poo poo Cleveland Indians logo.

If you read the TFF thread you'll see that the logo's slowly being phased out in favor of a large C.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

raditts posted:

Native American groups were protesting it earlier this year. I actually kind of think there are some Native Americans more pissed about that then the Redskins thing, but since it's not a current cause célèbre for guilty white people it doesn't get as much press in the media.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The international angle (despite being very American in approach) is really smart : it means it's far, far easier to sell to other English speaking countries. I know they run it on Sky Atlantic, which is where HBO have their main UK deal, and maybe in Australia too, as they love importing and not big fans of making original programming themselves.

Anyone know much about the writing team? Did they come partially from TDS or did JO work with them previously on stuff? They seem to have gotten the tone bang on so quickly, I'd be surprised if they were just round up by HBO randomly.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

EL BROMANCE posted:

The international angle (despite being very American in approach) is really smart : it means it's far, far easier to sell to other English speaking countries. I know they run it on Sky Atlantic, which is where HBO have their main UK deal, and maybe in Australia too, as they love importing and not big fans of making original programming themselves.

Anyone know much about the writing team? Did they come partially from TDS or did JO work with them previously on stuff? They seem to have gotten the tone bang on so quickly, I'd be surprised if they were just round up by HBO randomly.

This had me curious too. I couldn't really see them successfully poaching writers because correspondents leave TDS all the time. However, the showrunner for LWT is the former head writer for The Daily Show. And looking it up, the writing staff has one Colbert Report and Demetri Martin veteran, several from The Onion, many who mostly write for cartoons (!), and the head writer for W. Kamau Bell's show. The TDS head writer had been with the show since 2004 so he is probably why LWT hit the ground running so effectively. But only the showrunner seems to have worked with Oliver previously.

http://splitsider.com/2014/04/talking-last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver-with-showrunner-tim-carvell/

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Maybe they listen to the Bugle or they paid close attention because they really suit John Oliver's style.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

Here's a GQ interview of John Oliver where they make him guess of the soccer player names are real or fake. I can't believe that some of these are real. Bongo Christ!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRFsEoUYCvc

And here's a recent NPR interview of John Oliver

http://www.npr.org/2014/06/19/323335539/john-oliver-is-no-ones-friend-on-his-new-hbo-show

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Imagine if Bill Maher's popularity nose-dives and John Oliver gets to take his spot. They could throw a televised version of The Bugle in there!

Man, as someone who just saw some Bill Maher for the first time in a while, I hope this is true. Real Time feels like a handjob I'm not sure I want.

Edit: and he just said "and apparently I'm a bad man because I said I don't like Muslims ", soon followed by "my friend Christopher Hitchens' opinion on Muslims was..."

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 20, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
The Bugle are taking 3 months off :(

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

L_E_E posted:

Here's a GQ interview of John Oliver where they make him guess of the soccer player names are real or fake. I can't believe that some of these are real. Bongo Christ!

You get to repeat a name like Bongo Christ. You do not get to make up a name like Bongo Christ.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

thehustler posted:

The Bugle are taking 3 months off :(

Seems a good time as any to post this archive of pre-Soundcloud Bugle episodes. 180+ episodes some of you may never have heard! Hear the origin of The Bugle's fascination with Burlusconi, marvel at a cameo by Andy's kids in an anniversary episode, and meet the mysterious, long-cancelled character known only as The American.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Seems a good time as any to post this archive of pre-Soundcloud Bugle episodes. 180+ episodes some of you may never have heard! Hear the origin of The Bugle's fascination with Burlusconi, marvel at a cameo by Andy's kids in an anniversary episode, and meet the mysterious, long-cancelled character known only as The American.

Hotties from History

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
You must listen to Episode 99. Perhaps the funniest thing they've ever done.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

You must listen to Episode 99. Perhaps the funniest thing they've ever done.

Is that the stupid buildings episode?

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

Popelmon posted:

Is that the stupid buildings episode?

It's Berlusconi being hit in the face with a miniature cathedral. Stupid buildings is 97.

Man, that has one of my favourite Oliver rants.

"The property prices on the palm-shaped islands are dropping far below what Dubai expected and some reports are coming out that the islands themselves are sinking. Oh, no poo poo! I'll tell you why that's happening. They're not loving islands you morons! You just dumped some sand in some water which shouldn't be there."

Thurm fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 23, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Thurm posted:

It's Berlusconi being hit in the face with a miniature cathedral. Stupid buildings is 97.

Man, that has one of my favourite Oliver rants.

"The property prices on the palm-shaped islands are dropping far below what Dubai expected and some reports are coming out that the islands themselves are sinking. Oh, no poo poo! I'll tell you why that's happening. They're not loving islands you morons! You just dumped some sand in some water which shouldn't be there."

97 is great but The 'The surprising thing for me John, is that it's taken 73 years for someone to bash Silvio Berlusconi in the face with a plaster replica of the Milan Cathedral..." Andy's delivery of that line always kills me in its matter-of-factness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
No waffles?

T-SHIRT CANNON!

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 23, 2014

• Locked thread