Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

clutchpuck posted:

Put any current model in context with its pre-recession price and you'll be telling the young punk kids about how good the world used to be.

2006 Sporty 883: $7000
2014 883: $8,250

2006 Strom 650: $6700
2014 Strom 650: $8500

2006 GSX-R600: $8800
2014 GSX-R600: $11,700

2006 KLR 650: $5,199
2014 KLR 650: $6,499

Ok, thought it'd be closer, but still... :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

ADINSX posted:

My god thats terrible. Not for the hipster poo poo but because it looked and sounded like it was filmed in the 90s.

That's the first thing I thought. The video looks like it was shot on a cell phone and cut on windows movie maker. That's not going to fly with the vimeo crowd.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Suspicious Package posted:

I want bike built like AK-47.

OSU_Matthew posted:

2006 KLR 650: $5,199
2014 KLR 650: $6,499

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

You really don't want a Ural.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KLR'S are built more like a lovely norinco or something. Bike built like AK47 would be a Honda single or something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Eh?

And all you guys are getting it wrong, the only new bike price you should care about is 8k for a duke 690 with ABS. It'll murder everything else youve listed at city speeds and has abs by default. Oh, and 60mpg.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeh I was going to say the Super Cup is the AK-47 of motorcycles. Continuously produced since the 1950s, over 60 million of them built, outperformed by literally everything else in the world but somehow that's still good enough to do exactly what it's supposed to over and over again forever.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Z3n posted:

Eh?

And all you guys are getting it wrong, the only new bike price you should care about is 8k for a duke 690 with ABS. It'll murder everything else youve listed at city speeds and has abs by default. Oh, and 60mpg.

The Duke 690 is also somehow just as buzzy as my 94 KLR650 was. I was so disappointed in my test ride. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah, all singles are buzzy at the end of the day. Multi cylinders are good for smoothness.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Big, heavy, cheap yet manages to be more expensive than better options, and sometimes goes in the vague direction you point it, but never exactly where you want it?

You want a Harley?

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

Tanbo posted:

Big, heavy, cheap yet manages to be more expensive than better options, and sometimes goes in the vague direction you point it, but never exactly where you want it?

You want a Harley?

Few parts. Drag it through the dirt and it still works. Put gas in, biek go, noise come out. Fix everything with a screwdriver.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Few parts. Drag it through the dirt and it still works. Put gas in, biek go, noise come out. Fix everything with a screwdriver.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The owners manual of the MZ ETZ includes a line along the lines of:

quote:

Please have these procedures carried out by an approved MZ dealer. If no MZ dealer is available a local blacksmith may have the tools and expertise to carry out this work.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Z3n posted:

Eh?

It's so good but it's so orange. I love that we went from a gen 2 vmax to a grom within a couple of posts. The scary thing is I want both of those bikes. :suicide:

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

What is this beautiful machine?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That is a Minsk.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Well he did say he wanted a bike built like an AK- 47.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007
So, there's an '01 BMW K1200RS for sale near me for $2900. Salvage title, but looks good (from the pics), owner is obviously an enthusiast. Not a huge fan of color (yellow), but the price is hard to beat; obviously concerned about the title, but I know BMWs can be written off for drat near anything (eg: a friend had one that got totaled from being tipped over in a parking lot) due to parts/labor costs. Anything I should look for?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Few parts. Drag it through the dirt and it still works. Put gas in, biek go, noise come out. Fix everything with a screwdriver, every day.

Fixed that for you

Buddy and I rented these and rode Vietnam on them in 2010. They were the most rickety pieces of poo poo we'eve ever ridden and it was awesome.

Off the bat, it was challenging riding them in a straight line. We picked them up in busy traffic in HCMC, and followed the owner to the gas station to fill up. which was harrowing.. bikes would wander side to side about a foot. Took a little time to get used to that.

We rode for I think about 10 or 11 days, of which I think we had one without stopping at a mechanic. A couple days we would ride town to town finding a mechanic to fix the gearbox which wouldnt shift, or the brakes which would randomly stop working, or whatever thing went wrong. The guys would basically fix it with spit and baling wire and charged us maybe 30c or a couple bucks (or free on one occasion), so it wasn't a huge deal.

However, when you have to find somewhere to stop for the night in the middle of nowhere in the mountains of central vietnam because its 10pm and your front and rear lights stopped working 2 days ago, and the flashlight you taped to the bike has run out of batteries, and there is trucks and buses doing 60mph on these twisty mountain roads who can't see you and even if they could, they give no fucks...its a little scary.

Best trip ever. We both tried to find one for sale when we got home.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

HotCanadianChick posted:

You really don't want a Ural.
Yeah Urals are not built like AK47s.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

GanjamonII posted:

Fixed that for you

Buddy and I rented these and rode Vietnam on them in 2010. They were the most rickety pieces of poo poo we'eve ever ridden and it was awesome.

Off the bat, it was challenging riding them in a straight line. We picked them up in busy traffic in HCMC, and followed the owner to the gas station to fill up. which was harrowing.. bikes would wander side to side about a foot. Took a little time to get used to that.

We rode for I think about 10 or 11 days, of which I think we had one without stopping at a mechanic. A couple days we would ride town to town finding a mechanic to fix the gearbox which wouldnt shift, or the brakes which would randomly stop working, or whatever thing went wrong. The guys would basically fix it with spit and baling wire and charged us maybe 30c or a couple bucks (or free on one occasion), so it wasn't a huge deal.

However, when you have to find somewhere to stop for the night in the middle of nowhere in the mountains of central vietnam because its 10pm and your front and rear lights stopped working 2 days ago, and the flashlight you taped to the bike has run out of batteries, and there is trucks and buses doing 60mph on these twisty mountain roads who can't see you and even if they could, they give no fucks...its a little scary.

That sounds awesome. Top Gear did something really similar, of course pretty much all their poo poo is scripted but the part I liked most was one of their bikes broke down and a mechanic just walks up with a new engine, like "oh well whatever try this one".

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

GanjamonII posted:

Fixed that for you

Yeah, supposedly we got Minsks for a while, I don't think I ever found one on eBay though. I was kicking around the idea of shipping mine over with some saddlebags loaded with spares, but practicality got the better of me.

I bought mine off a Belgian lawyer in Hanoi and rode the hell out of it for 7 weeks through Vietnam and Laos (mostly the latter, had just finished up a language program in Thailand and the two languages are basically dialects of each other), was a great trip. I paid $450 and couldn't have possibly paid more: was a Sport (bigger tank, slightly better gearing for street riding), meticulously maintained by a shop, comfy custom touring seat, upgraded rear suspension scavenged from a Suzuki, and came with tools, spares, and a pre-trip checkup at the shop. Was actually pretty reliable (for a Minsk), not that stuff didn't go wrong, but it never catastrophically hosed up my trip or anything. I spent like a week hanging out with a Lao mechanic in Luang Prabang learning how to work on it (have forgotten pretty much everything :saddowns:)

I did the trip as a loop (Hanoi -> Dien Bien Phu -> all over northern Laos -> southern Laos -> Hoi An/Danang -> stuck it on the train back up to Hanoi), because some countries can get bitchy if you bring a bike in (immigration will probably make a notation in your passport) on a temporary import permit and then leave without it. There are also the hassles for the new owner of getting the bike legalised in that country; Thailand especially has pretty jacked up tariffs on imported vehicles.

If I was to do SEA by bike again (hopefully!), I'd probably buy a Minsk and just ride it towards Singapore/Indonesia until it blows up. If I actually got as far as I wanted to, ramp it off a dock or leave it in a theft prone area, get a police report to cover my bases, and catch a flight home.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
It only cost me $350 to crate up and ship my S90 from Saigon to Riga, Latvia. Would have been $280 to London.

ObscureThought
May 10, 2013

I'm currently in the planning stages of getting into riding and plan on getting what I need to do an MSF course as soon as I can (I'll probably need to visit the gear thread for this).

Anyhow, I'm 5'3 at ~117lbs and I'm trying to find out what my options are as far as supermotos/dual sports go, that are priced around the same as a ninja 250/cbr250r, if they exist. I like the idea of a motard over a sport especially if I'm getting one used since I feel like it'd be easier to maintain, less likely to be stolen, I wouldn't have to care half as much about cosmetic condition (which is also great since it'll be a first bike), and I won't have the mentality that I'm going to get rid of it if/when bike #2 happens since it'll more than likely be a sport.

Anyone know of any cheap/common ds/motards that have a seat height of ~31in? I'm going to go throw a leg over some bikes sometime soon just to find out how tall of a bike I can comfortably sit on.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The Yamaha XT250 sits at 31.8".

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

cycle-ergo.com is a great resource for approximating how you would fit on a bike.

Comedy option:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
But that's not a motard, this is a motard.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Is that Yamaha TW200 thing out of the question?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

If you ever want to be on the highway for more than 5 minutes, yeah.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

On the other hand, it is the ideal vehicle for the man who lives on Tatooine but can't afford a landspeeder.

ObscureThought
May 10, 2013

The xt250 seems interesting, they seem a bit more pricey and hard to find though. I'm also familiar with cycle-ergo, it's actually what got me to stop looking at supermotos in the first place, since I don't know a lot of them and I didn't fit any. :v:

I live in FL and I don't see myself getting on the highway with a bike too often, especially when I first start, so I wouldn't totally rule out the TW200 unless there's some glaring issue with it. I'm gonna look more into it. I appreciate the help!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Is it possible that a bike's seat can be lowered more than its standard height? There was a tiny Vietnamese lady in my MSF class who couldn't put her feet flat, even on a pretty tiny scooter. I felt so bad for her, trying to stay on one leg or the other, balanced.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There are various ways to lower almost every bike. They vary a lot in procedure and price. Depends on the bike.

ObscureThought
May 10, 2013

I'd thought about that but I'm worried about ruining the suspension geometry in doing so - To my knowledge it's better to avoid lowering sportbikes so I'm assuming that holds true to other bikes as well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There is a weird obsession on this forum with flat-footing. I'm 6 feet tall and I've never flat-footed anything besides my first bike like three times. I never even use both feet unless I'm reversing the bike or have a passenger.

Obscure I think you just need to sit on a bunch of bikes and see what suits. You're over-estimating your 'handicap', short people ride big bikes all the time with no problems. Like everything with bikes, it's more down to skill than physical limitations. Sit on some bikes, like you said, then narrow your options and come back here so people can pick them apart on perceived handling/reliability/comfort issues.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic

Ain't no thing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Yeah, there's a dude I work with who's 5'6 at the most with an R1200, he gets along fine with it, and I used to ride with a woman who was 4'11" and basically had to hold the bike in the crook of her knee to flat-foot her Virago. With a bit of practice and confidence it's fine.

(I've only got little stumpy legs for my height so I almost never flat-foot bikes either, for that matter, but it's mostly just having my heel and inch or two up)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Lol. Let's see him at a stoplight now.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Someone in that video comments area says "everyone should know how to do a rolling mount/dismount for enduro bikes."

Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Lynza posted:

Someone in that video comments area says "everyone should know how to do a rolling mount/dismount for enduro bikes."

Why?

You read youtube comments.

Why? ;)