Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Beeftweeter posted:

No, it only uses a (modified) Wi-Fi signal for the Gamepad's video. It still pairs and communicates input over Bluetooth.

We've been over this multiple times, the GamePad doesn't use Bluetooth at all. All control commands go over the same channels as the audio/video signal.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-secrets-of-the-wii-u-gamepad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Pegnose Pete posted:

So an update from Canada. I live in Burlington, ON in the GTA and tried to get Target to give me the 150$ deal. Spoke with the store manager and the best he would do for me was 75$ off. Went to Walmart and as soon as they heard the words Wii U and Target they were like "yeah we aren't getting scammed again. Not happening." So you basically need to find a store manager who really doesn't care or who is generously ignorant of what's going on.

wait so the entire thing was fake?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Niemat posted:

I care, because I literally just got home from finding it on clearance! :smug:

YMMV, but I had to pick something up at Walmart, and the Walmart I was at was seriously clearancing out certain titles to "make more room," so I picked up the full Wii Fit U box for way cheaper than just the game/pedometer. So, if anyone is looking for the game, that might be an option!

Does your Walmart have anymore units on clearance?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Yaoi Mandel posted:

wait so the entire thing was fake?

No not at all. Just an error on Target's part that got remedied pretty quick. By "scam" Walmart just meant price matching after the error had been fixed at Target's level.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Pegnose Pete posted:

No not at all. Just an error on Target's part that got remedied pretty quick. By "scam" Walmart just meant price matching after the error had been fixed at Target's level.

ahhh okay. wasn't it only in canada anyway?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

deafmute posted:

At Target between 6/22-6/28 they're going to have a buy 2 get 1 free deal on all Wii U games

Is there a source on this? I can not find anything on the internet about it.

Edit: Nevermind, found a couple places talking about it.

Edit2: VVVVVVV- thanks!

Fremry fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 18, 2014

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Fremry posted:

Is there a source on this? I can not find anything on the internet about it.
Originally from here.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

ChaosArgate posted:

What I'm saying is you cannot do anything in Wii mode if all you have is a gamepad. You can look at the Health and Warnings screen and the menu, but unless you have a Wiimote, you can't do anything.

If you switch the Wii U to output to non-hdmi, it won't look for a TV, and you are free to enter Wii mode at anytime with no hassle.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

bushisms.txt posted:

If you switch the Wii U to output to non-hdmi, it won't look for a TV, and you are free to enter Wii mode at anytime with no hassle.

Why do people keep trying to say that you can access Wii mode without a Wiimote when my point was that there's no point without a Wiimote? :confused:

Unoriginal
May 12, 2001

ChaosArgate posted:

Why do people keep trying to say that you can access Wii mode without a Wiimote when my point was that there's no point without a Wiimote? :confused:

Because no one is really reading what you're saying? They get to the first part, think they understand, and rush to tell you that you're wrong without realizing you already addressed their exact point?

Anyway, just started playing DK Tropical Freeze a few days ago and I forgot how intense this poo poo can be. The mine cart levels are great, but I'm glad my husband is willing to handle the rocket barrel bullshit. Those levels are what put me off of DK Returns.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

It's because when they say using Wii mode "gamepad only" they mean gamepad video only. Meaning the TV doesn't need to be on. You are taking "gamepad only" meaning not using a wii mote.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

ChaosArgate posted:

I know, I was just clearing up the first part. And I kind of assumed it was a given that almost anyone interested in the Wii U would have at least one Wiimote lying around. I only owned Xenoblade and Mario Kart for my Wii, and I had two motion plus controllers already.

Artix posted:

Not quite, I use a component hookup and took it with me because I was going to be stuck at work for 8 hours with nothing to do while they stripped and waxed the floors. When I tried to access Wii mode, it told me that it couldn't find the TV and it wouldn't let me in.

Try 480 if that doesn't work.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 18, 2014

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

bushisms.txt posted:

Not quite, I use a component hookup and took it with me because I was going to be stuck at work for 8 hours with nothing to do while they stripped and waxed the floors. When I tried to access Wii mode, it told me that it couldn't find the TV and it wouldn't let me in.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Artix posted:

Did it not let you in even while holding B on bootup?

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

noirstronaut posted:

Does your Walmart have anymore units on clearance?

I grabbed the only one, sadly. I'm visiting my parents, so it's their small town Walmart, which doesn't have the greatest selection.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Legdiian posted:

Did it not let you in even while holding B on bootup?

We covered this earlier in the thread. Some tvs actually report to the Wii U whether or not it's on or something, so some people can have that work without the TV being on and some people are greeted with infinite "turn the tv on!" messages until they do. It's kind of screwy and arbitrary.

I think the other guy was saying this didn't happen if you don't use HDMI, but looks like it still does?

It's a dumb thing the Wii U possibly does and I hate it.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
I saw a post once that said Super Mario 3D World was too short, do people actually feel that way? I mean, I'd understand if it's from a perspective of "I wish this game could go on forever" but otherwise I think it has a very good amount of content - there keeps being more and more extra content that unlocks as I play through the game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CatsPajamas posted:

I saw a post once that said Super Mario 3D World was too short, do people actually feel that way? I mean, I'd understand if it's from a perspective of "I wish this game could go on forever" but otherwise I think it has a very good amount of content - there keeps being more and more extra content that unlocks as I play through the game.

3d world goes on for loving ever. The only way I'd say it was "too short" is if you're an unemployed shut-in who played the game for a week straight. Galaxy 2 was longer, though.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I imagine some people might think it's sort of short if they only play the first half of the game, up to the Bowser fight (and credits) and then just never started the game up again to realize there were a bunch more worlds to play.

But even then it's got plenty of content.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CatsPajamas posted:

Maybe they were saying that 3D Land was too short, because even with all the bonus stuff that unlocks once you beat the game, it was pretty short.

3D World can be pretty short if you just run through it with one character, not collecting medals and not doing the bonus worlds but otherwise it's pretty long. I mean I guess compared to 64 and the Galaxy games it could feel a little short but really by any reasonable metric it has loads to do.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

MinibarMatchman posted:

3d world goes on for loving ever. The only way I'd say it was "too short" is if you're an unemployed shut-in who played the game for a week straight. Galaxy 2 was longer, though.

Galaxy 2 is also a goddamn masterpiece

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

homeless snail posted:

The range on the gamepad is kind of short though, so depending on how far away your PC is from the Wii U and how many walls are between them it might not work/be a little sketchy.

This may be pointing out the obvious, but I think it bears mentioning that for thehacker0's purposes, he (she?) may not even care to connect the system to a TV at all. You could just plug the console into any wall socket anywhere (i.e. at thehacker0's desk) and play off the Gamepad.

Hell, a couple of times I've actually considered bringing the Wii U, the Gamepad and the power plug with me to the laundromat to play games while waiting for my laundry.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Perry Normal posted:

Hell, a couple of times I've actually considered bringing the Wii U, the Gamepad and the power plug with me to the laundromat to play games while waiting for my laundry.

Reading this made me look at my Wii U and realize how compact it is. If it wouldn't overheat you could throw it in a backpack and use the Gamepad like a Game Gear (I think the Gamepad may actually be the size of a Game Gear).

If I see anyone with a Wii U at my local laundromat I'll pay for their laundry.

Kewpuh posted:

Galaxy 2 is also a goddamn masterpiece

This is true and you are a smart person. I never got all the green stars, but after watching Diabetus's LP I'm going back to it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I just got to Crown Crown, and I'd say Mario 3D World is most definitely longer than Mario 64, probably longer than Galaxy 1, but Galaxy 2 is definitely bigger. You'd have to be pretty crazy to call 3D World short.

BoboThePenguin
Mar 1, 2005
My ping is one.

Perry Normal posted:

If only Nintendo made some sort of portable console you could bring with you anywhere.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

BoboThePenguin posted:

If only Nintendo made some sort of portable console you could bring with you anywhere.

Wouldn't that be the greatest? Too bad they never have and they never will.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Was Galaxy 2 really longer? I feel like 3D World is an enormous game.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Is there a goon gym community set up on Wii Fit U?

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
Half price Remote Pro bros in Canada, try again with this, was able to walk in again, show the target ad walk out:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

CatsPajamas posted:

Reading this made me look at my Wii U and realize how compact it is. If it wouldn't overheat you could throw it in a backpack and use the Gamepad like a Game Gear (I think the Gamepad may actually be the size of a Game Gear).
I'm

pretty sure you can't run a Wii U without plugging it in

not even with six triple-A batteries.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Chaltab posted:

I'm

Well obviously you'd have to throw a gas generator in the backpack too, come on man

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bobnumerotres posted:

Was Galaxy 2 really longer? I feel like 3D World is an enormous game.

It's hard to say. 3D World has alot of levels but most of them don't really take very long to run through and most of your time will be taken just by the challenge of getting green stars. Galaxy had less levels but alot more scenarios and each and plus a bunch of mini game type levels to round it out (which also had multiple goals). Mario Galaxy 2 also had less levels than 3D World but it also had multiple goals per level and the levels could be very open plus the addition of green stars which really opened up the levels and combated the linearity that the main game had. Mario 64 had less levels than all of the above, but the levels had alot of goals that made you explore every nook and cranny and even when you did that there was more to explore and it too had hidden minigame levels scattered throughout.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

Chaltab posted:

I'm

Chaltab posted:

I'm

Yeah okay I'm dumb. Still might do exactly that next time I'm on a train or going somewhere I know there's outlets.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I had a few questions about Mario Kart but can't seem to find a Mario Kart thread. How is the online multiplayer in this game and is there a good amount of goons that play?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Rad Valtar posted:

I had a few questions about Mario Kart but can't seem to find a Mario Kart thread. How is the online multiplayer in this game and is there a good amount of goons that play?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632104

It doesn't have the Wii U tag.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rad Valtar posted:

It's great and yes.

Is Ninja Gaiden 3 worth it for $10? I loved the one on Xbox but didn't play much of 2.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's great and yes.

Is Ninja Gaiden 3 worth it for $10? I loved the one on Xbox but didn't play much of 2.

Not really. It's better than the initial release but it's still a lovely watered down game that removes much of what was great about NG.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Niemat posted:

Is there a goon gym community set up on Wii Fit U?

There is indeed! I don't know the name and code off the top of my head, but watch this space, I'll edit it in when I get home tonight.

EDIT: LowTaxLowEffort 1786-3632-8641 Come join us in getting fit!

jivjov fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 19, 2014

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

manpurse posted:

Half price Remote Pro bros in Canada, try again with this, was able to walk in again, show the target ad walk out:

Man you lucky SOB. Haha.
Do you mind me asking where you live? The managers in Burlington, ON really kept going on about how these sales were only up north. I probably could have convinced them to give me a pro controller for the sale price but there was no way they were letting the console go that cheap.

Edit:

So in preparation for my Wii U, I've been beefing up my Wii library.
I had a Wii in the past and sold it but kept some of my games.

My new additions are:
Galaxy 2
No More Heroes 2
Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime Trilogy (ebay and paid through the nose but gently caress it)

and I previously had:
Galaxy 1
Xenoblade
The Last Story
Skyward Sword

I am gushing Nintendo love at the moment. Can't wait till I finish my Masters and can focus on what REALLY matters.

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Pegnose Pete posted:

No More Heroes 2

Oh drat, I had completely forgotten about No More Heroes 2. I had a Wii but had pretty much stopped using it by the time that came around, I liked the first one a lot.

• Locked thread