Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Terry Crews was the only good part of the first Expendables and Mickey Rourke's scenes were boring as hell. Never saw the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The only interesting of The Expendables for me is that, like Act of Valor, it frames torture as a sadistic, immoral act that is beyond the scope of its heroes. But unlike that other movie, The Expendables is a sadistic killing spree anyway.

Wasn't there also a subplot about Jason Statham beating up his girlfriend's ex-husband that went absolutely nowhere? I'm hard pressed to think of a film that underutilized its cast as badly as The Expendables.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Doesn't help that half of the cast are a bunch of no-names. 99% of the time they wouldn't even rate a mention, except Stallone sells these movies on how many people he puts in them.

There's 17 people on that poster and I reckon maybe... four no-names?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Planet Earth, where anything involving Chuck Norris gets the gasface.
The only good thing about that was the way Chuck looked like he barely even knew he was doing a movie, let alone understood any of the words he was saying.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gaz2k21 posted:

The expendables is the cinematic equivalent of a bunch of ex pro-footballers in their retirement years getting together and going for a kickabout down the park.....nothing but a bit of fun by former masters of their trade.

So, a mild novelty that soon wears thin, ultimately less interesting than watching current players still in their prime in a real match.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

zandert33 posted:

What world do you live in where this is boring garbage?

The place where that scene exists in a movie where you have to watch an hour of craggy old men mumbling at each other before you get to it. I'm all for watching JCVD kick a knife into a guy's chest, but both Expendables movies have an enormous amount of incredibly boring filler.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

According to that poster, they give Terry Crews a gatling gun, and that's at least worth a matinee ticket, imo

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If you're a Terry Crews fan, make sure you're watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine. He's doing great work there.

Erebus posted:

The place where that scene exists in a movie where you have to watch an hour of craggy old men mumbling at each other before you get to it.

I could get past that if the action was at all compelling. JCVD has recently done good work in the last two Universal Soldier movies and Stallone was fun in Bullet to the Head. It's not like these guys are incapable of being good in action movies, they're just not doing it here.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I only saw the beginning of the second one, and it had the production values of a credit card commercial, like that one with the vikings. I'm no movie snob but I found it completely unenjoyable, and even worse, boring. You have to be really bad at making movies to make poo poo blowing up surrounded by every action star boring, but they pulled it off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MikeJF posted:

There's 17 people on that poster and I reckon maybe... four no-names?

Looking at the poster, I have no clue who:

Randy Couture
Ronda Rousey
Glen Powell
Victor Ortiz
Robert Davi

are and Dolph Lundgren is barely an also ran. These are pretty much the highest profile things he does anymore. So maybe not half but a third of the people wouldn't even rate normally.

morestuff posted:

The only thing I really remember about the first one is that it was peak "Hey, Mickey Rourke acting again is a cool story, let's bring him in and see if he can liven up this terrible monologue I wrote."

Edit:

That was literally the scene where I turned off the first movie from complete boredom.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you have seen any action movie from 1985 to 1995 that didn't have a big name in it, Robert Davi was probably the villain.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
yeah, Robert Davi is totally an "oh, that guy!" actor.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MrBling posted:

yeah, Robert Davi is totally an "oh, that guy!" actor.

He, unlike loving Chuck Norris is what I want to see in these movies. I want to see Robert Davi and Bolo Yeung and Ed Harris and Tim Curry and whatnot.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

He, unlike loving Chuck Norris is what I want to see in these movies. I want to see Robert Davi and Bolo Yeung and Ed Harris and Tim Curry and whatnot.

Al Leong can't be up to much.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dunno I don't mind Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris didnt do anything wrong, the internet did.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cage posted:

I dunno I don't mind Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris didnt do anything wrong, the internet did.

Chuck Norris has always loving sucked, though. Name a good Chuck Norris movie. There are none.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

muscles like this? posted:

Looking at the poster, I have no clue who:

Randy Couture
Ronda Rousey
Glen Powell
Victor Ortiz
Robert Davi

are

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

Chuck Norris is a creationist, anit-gay marriage, anti-vaccination fundamentalist that thinks Atheists are trying to outlaw Christianity. gently caress em.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

axleblaze posted:

Chuck Norris is a creationist, anit-gay marriage, anti-vaccination fundamentalist that thinks Atheists are trying to outlaw Christianity. gently caress em.
He can still punch and shoot people pretty good though. I dont see how they relate.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

TheJoker138 posted:

Chuck Norris has always loving sucked, though. Name a good Chuck Norris movie. There are none.

The Expendables 2 :smuggo:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

TheJoker138 posted:

I grew up on Sidekicks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUl8RV2r6U4

It's very rare for a trailer (nowadays) to LITERALLY give away the entire movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
A Force of One is still good for a few yucks.

Cage posted:

He can still punch and shoot people pretty good though. I dont see how they relate.

Punching and shooting people isn't a story.

Hell, you don't even need a story. Just be good enough of an artist and collaborator so that you can do some justice to both film and the art of physical combat and strategy.

Otherwise, it's the prime definition of hackneyed bullshit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Al Leong can't be up to much.

Exactly.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Cage posted:

Chuck Norris is the reason why there wasn't any cursing in the second movie (but graphic bloody violence is perfectly fine) so gently caress him.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Cacator posted:

Chuck Norris is the reason why there wasn't any cursing in the second movie (but graphic bloody violence is perfectly fine) so gently caress him.

Plus he made the shittiest garbage pile movies in all their primes. I loving DARE you people to watch Invasion U.S.A. again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

Plus he made the shittiest garbage pile movies in all their primes. I loving DARE you people to watch Invasion U.S.A. again.

Yep. He is three rungs below Seagal.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

axleblaze posted:

My wife's been to his house, she says he has huge portraits of himself all over the place. She said he had an entire medicine cabinet full of Rogaine, which is weird as it was still prescription only then, she said he had dozens of bottles.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Yep. He is three rungs below Seagal.

That said, only one one of them bragged about how he couldn't be choked out, only to get choked out by Gene Lebell so bad he shat himself.

It wasn't Norris.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
Firewalker is a guilty pleasure of mine,Louis Gosset Jr. evens out the terrible.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That said, only one one of them bragged about how he couldn't be choked out, only to get choked out by Gene Lebell so bad he shat himself.

It wasn't Norris.

For more fun thinking Steven Seagal is a piece of poo poo, check out the hot spoken word breakdown in his hit song Jealousy.

The first amendment? Oh you mean the freedom to gently caress us for free? :smug:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Who told that story about Seagal crying after reading the best script ever, his own?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Steven seagal killed someones dog in a police raid

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

My wife's been to his house, she says he has huge portraits of himself all over the place. She said he had an entire medicine cabinet full of Rogaine, which is weird as it was still prescription only then, she said he had dozens of bottles.

This is a much more interesting story than the expendables could ever hope to be.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I sold Steven Segal a TV once. It was a Vizio.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Steven Seagal: Lawman was one of the best new TV series to come out of the last few years.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

I'd be perpetually angry at the world if I wrote that screenplay, too.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I'd just like to remind everyone that Stallone cowrote and costarred in a Dolly Parton musical-comedy called Rhinestone.

And that in this movie he sings a song called "Drinkinstein."

Drinkin'stein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNPPf4RbQeg

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

K. Waste posted:

I'd just like to remind everyone that Stallone cowrote and costarred in a Dolly Parton musical-comedy called Rhinestone.

Drinkin'stein.

More proof that we should be able to take Oscar's back for future work being subpar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

K. Waste posted:

Drinkin'stein.

Well, what the hell is a stein good for? :colbert: Well, besides making for awesome decor, that is.