Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I like Heineken

For australia you really should have had a Fosters Radler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Spain vs Chile

Spain
I've already used the craft beer card and I think I'll leave the cheap and easy to get hold of one for the last game (oh no will it be Estrella Damm or Sam Migual! :iiapa:) so it's :siren: Wild Card :siren:.

Yria-Guinea Pigs! Flow IPAporter (Brewed by Domus) 8.5%.

Apart from the name being very obvious to do with how Spain are all drugged up guinea pigs, when poured the black body represents them being the villains in this World Cup, with an inch thick, dense, creamy brown head is the egos the Spanish team tends to have which leaves a nice lacing (or diving) when game is in play. Aroma is roasty and citrusy with lots of grapefruits which I find is what most people find when watching Spain play, they're robust and got that citrus sweet/sourness about them specially the grapefruit which is whenever you see them fall to the ground. To counterbalance this is the nice dark chocolate malt backing it up. The goals. Pine resins, caramel, bread and subtle licorice is the flair in their step. A dry finish, bitter, (losing to Netherlands), roasty piney lots of grapefruit again before leaving a long aftertaste cause we're not going to forget that match very soon. Medium-full body and a soft, moderately active carbonation. Need I say more?

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
Cerveza elaborada con malta pale, crystal y roasted malts. lupulos nugget de leon y cascade. La Flow una autentica ipaporte perfectamente balanceada con un aroma inconfindible y un sabor a autentico flow. Elaborada en Domus ooooouuuuuyeaaahhhhh

Chile

Cerveza Grassau Bock (Brewed by Compañia Cervecera Araucania) 7%.
You've most likely seen the Cerveza Grassau Weizen about, it's a pretty average / meh German Hefeweizen. Their Bock is slightly nicer but again we're talking about Chile. It's kind of hard to pick amazing beer for them. But this is good for Chile.

Pours a very dark brown, almost black color with a big, fine off-white head that diminishes slowly and laces well. Aroma is malty with intense notes of raisins, prunes, figs, tobacco, brown sugar, peanut butter and rum. Incredible! Taste is amazing, refined and well-balanced sweetness with toasted bitterness. It has notes of toasted rye bread, butterscotch, figs, black currants and dark bread crust.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Taff posted:

I like Heineken

For australia you really should have had a Fosters Radler

I put fosters the first time! it covered all of fosters!!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Spain 0 - 2 Chile, Cerveza Grassau Bock is going through. Netherlands 3 - 2 Aussies, Grolsch goes through cause each got one vote so I just go with Grolsch.
Will do a late writeup for Cameroon vs Croatia, thought I did it before I went for a nap.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Fluo posted:

Spain vs Chile

Spain
I've already used the craft beer card and I think I'll leave the cheap and easy to get hold of one for the last game (oh no will it be Estrella Damm or Sam Migual! :iiapa:) so it's :siren: Wild Card :siren:.

Yria-Guinea Pigs! Flow IPAporter (Brewed by Domus) 8.5%.

Apart from the name being very obvious to do with how Spain are all drugged up guinea pigs, when poured the black body represents them being the villains in this World Cup, with an inch thick, dense, creamy brown head is the egos the Spanish team tends to have which leaves a nice lacing (or diving) when game is in play. Aroma is roasty and citrusy with lots of grapefruits which I find is what most people find when watching Spain play, they're robust and got that citrus sweet/sourness about them specially the grapefruit which is whenever you see them fall to the ground. To counterbalance this is the nice dark chocolate malt backing it up. The goals. Pine resins, caramel, bread and subtle licorice is the flair in their step. A dry finish, bitter, (losing to Netherlands), roasty piney lots of grapefruit again before leaving a long aftertaste cause we're not going to forget that match very soon. Medium-full body and a soft, moderately active carbonation. Need I say more?

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
Cerveza elaborada con malta pale, crystal y roasted malts. lupulos nugget de leon y cascade. La Flow una autentica ipaporte perfectamente balanceada con un aroma inconfindible y un sabor a autentico flow. Elaborada en Domus ooooouuuuuyeaaahhhhh

What is an "authentic IPAporter"? Is that their name for a black IPA?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Akbar posted:

What is an "authentic IPAporter"? Is that their name for a black IPA?

It's weird. It's a a strong (or "Imperial") porter but they kind of nuked it with American citrus hops. It tastes like a strong porter where someone had mistakenly thrown tons of citrus hops at it forgetting it's a porter. It does taste nice though. :)

There is no authentic IPAporters type though, it's just... weird lol. Unless I guess if you brewed a porter and an IPA and blended them together.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 19, 2014

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Fluo posted:

It's weird. It's a a strong (or "Imperial") porter but they kind of nuked it with American citrus hops. It tastes like a strong porter where someone had mistakenly thrown tons of citrus hops at it forgetting it's a porter. It does taste nice though. :)

There is no authentic IPAporters type though, it's just... weird lol. Unless I guess if you brewed a porter and an IPA and blended them together.

I do that at my local bar actually. It's one of the secret house specials to blend Foothills Hoppyum IPA and Foothills People's Porter. Delicious and it does kind of taste like a black IPA with the roastiness of the porter meshing with the IPA's hops and tamping down the malty sweetness. It caters to my tastes as a West Coast hops guy. I think blending beers could be a coming fad.

E: drinking a Lagunitas Imperial Stout right now after a workout. I was reading this thread today and wanted something roasty.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 19, 2014

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
My buddy stateside on the west coast says blending Terminator Stout from McMenamin's (based in Portland, has a wario on the can) with a Ruby Ale makes a Rubinator, is (supposedly) pretty good. That's plenty weird but not as weird as a Porter IPA I'll give you that.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Akbar posted:

I do that at my local bar actually. It's one of the secret house specials to blend Foothills Hoppyum IPA and Foothills People's Porter. Delicious and it does kind of taste like a black IPA with the roastiness of the porter meshing with the IPA's hops and tamping down the malty sweetness. It caters to my tastes as a West Coast hops guy. I think blending beers could be a coming fad.

E: drinking a Lagunitas Imperial Stout right now after a workout. I was reading this thread today and wanted something roasty.

I could see that happening, as its been done for centuries with Lambics, because single barrel lambics 9/10 of the time are bland as hell and need to be mixed to make them great depending on age and such. Like wine blenders! :)

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Fluo posted:

I could see that happening, as its been done for centuries with Lambics, because single barrel lambics 9/10 of the time are bland as hell and need to be mixed to make them great depending on age and such. Like wine blenders! :)

Or Scotch. But yeah, the same idea that each individual beer has a flavor profile and the mixture of two is some combination of profiles, enhancing certain attributes and diminishing others. In the case of the IPA-Porter blend I talked about, the porter (which is quite dry and thin) adds a roastiness to the IPA and tamps down the IPA's maltiness. In turn, the porter takes on the hops and the body of the IPA and you get a pretty balanced beer. I think you need to be empirical rather than theoretical with blending beers though -- it's all about how the beers combine in practice.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Akbar posted:

Or Scotch. But yeah, the same idea that each individual beer has a flavor profile and the mixture of two is some combination of profiles, enhancing certain attributes and diminishing others. In the case of the IPA-Porter blend I talked about, the porter (which is quite dry and thin) adds a roastiness to the IPA and tamps down the IPA's maltiness. In turn, the porter takes on the hops and the body of the IPA and you get a pretty balanced beer. I think you need to be empirical rather than theoretical with blending beers though -- it's all about how the beers combine in practice.

Yeah, and each beer / blend tends to be completely different specially with lambics. And always note down the percentages, like "I used 1part 3 year old lambic, 2 part 2 year old lambic and 1 part 2 year old lambic (rye)" etc. :)
I think that's the best and most simple tip with anything to do with beer and brewing anyway. A handful of homebrewers I know irl just eyeball the malt and hops they're using and it's just... "can't you simply check the weight and write it down atleast if you're making up recipes without a draft". :negative:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Next monday you should try to find something from Jopen or Emelissen for The Netherlands. The Emelissen Rauchbier is very nice for example.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Next monday you should try to find something from Jopen or Emelissen for The Netherlands. The Emelissen Rauchbier is very nice for example.

The Rauchbier is more German (and already done one), don't worry it's :siren: WildCard :siren: for Netherlands next one so I got something special up my hand (something like Jopen Koyt). :)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

For some reason I feel this thread would have been better with Cheeses.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Dell_Zincht posted:

and quite a bit more difficult, i think

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

I hate cheese. :(

Also it would have been:

US
Wrapped Cheese Slices

France
Brie de Meaux

England
Stilton or West Country Farmhouse Cheddar

Italy
Casu marzu or Mozzarella

Germany
Rauchkäse

Japan
Sakura cheese

South Korea
Imsil cheese

Netherlands
Edam

Iran
Lighvan

Croatia
Paški sir

Colombia
Quesillo

You get the idea, feel free to make a cheese thread but I don't eat cheese so can't really judge or do taste notes of them and such. I hate cheese. :(

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is it a lactose thing?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Australia

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Furious Lobster posted:

Is it a lactose thing?

I don't know, I've just never liked cheese soft, hard etc. Tastes and textures etc. :(

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Hmmm I really do consider buying some beer later, my criteria might be:

- coldness
- beeriness
- goodness

Since I live in the birthplace and home of beer, I will have no problem finding a proper beer that will fulfil all three criteria.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I have some beers in the fridge, quote this to know more

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Bogan Krkic posted:

I have some beers in the fridge, quote this to know more

Tell me more

I need to stock up for the games tonight so I need the Fluo beer post asap

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Tell me more

Same but for work today

Fluo
May 25, 2007

ephex posted:

Hmmm I really do consider buying some beer later, my criteria might be:

- coldness
- beeriness
- goodness

Since I live in the birthplace and home of beer, I will have no problem finding a proper beer that will fulfil all three criteria.

:eng101: Germany isn't the birthplace of beer, it's the birthplace of lager. Which killed off most ales in Germany apart from altbeer and such.

Get it right god drat it!

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Tell me more

I have this

and this

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I haven't bought any of the Fluo beers yet because I can't seem to find most of them here even loving Foster's

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

I haven't bought any of the Fluo beers yet because I can't seem to find most of them here even loving Foster's

They sale Coopers Best Extra Stout. :v:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Fluo posted:

:eng101: Germany isn't the birthplace of beer, it's the birthplace of lager. Which killed off most ales in Germany apart from altbeer and such.

Get it right god drat it!

I like the one that's yellow and has that white fluffy stuff on top, but sometimes also the the dark brown one with a lot more of the fluffy stuff. I take them from the fridge and pour out into a glass and then I drink it all. Hmmm the perfect beer experience here in Munich, the home and birthplace of beer.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

Fluo can you make sure the England beer today is buyable from Sainsburys, thanks

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

They do, and it owns op. I was drinking the same squires beers last night for the game though

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Fluo can you make sure the England beer today is buyable from Sainsburys, thanks

Yes I've done the "wild card" which is the more off the world / describes the team. So last two is easy to get around the world and a craft. I have two options with craft but some Sainsburys stores sells different beer around the country.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

ephex posted:

I like the one that's yellow and has that white fluffy stuff on top, but sometimes also the the dark brown one with a lot more of the fluffy stuff. I take them from the fridge and pour out into a glass and then I drink it all. Hmmm the perfect beer experience here in Munich, the home and birthplace of beer.

How about the one that's red and has that white fluffy stuff on top or is just red?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
im going to get some mead fluo, mead

Fluo
May 25, 2007

England vs Uruguay

England
On request by Andre Le Fuckface I'm going with easy to get card (around the world) beer wise when taking into account quailty too (like me not picking Budweiser for US). So Fuller's ESB it is, however I'd like to note for UK goons Sainsburys has 3 for £5 on some ales at the moment. I recommend Fuller's Wild River Fuller's ESB and either Bombardier Premium Ale or Badger Golden Champion Ale (Badger Golden Champion Ale I love however it irks me it's a clear glass bottle :( )

Fuller's ESB (Brewed by Fuller's) 5.5% / 5.9%.

First brewed in 1971. Ingredients: Pale Ale malt, Crystal malt and Maize; Target, Challenger, Northdown and Goldings hops..
Brewed at 5.5% ABV in cask and 5.9% ABV in bottle, ESB is a true liquid legend, and should be savoured as such. If you are familiar with this beer, you will undoubtedly be aware of the unique glass that ESB is presented in. This glass was specially selected to help enhance the experience of drinking ESB, so why not visit the online store and purchase a glass to enjoy ESB the way it is meant to be served?

ESB has a wonderful rich mahogany appearance. Taking in the nose, the beer is bursting with cherry and orange, balanced by soft malty toffee and caramel notes. The flavour delivers everything you would expect from such a full-bodied ale. The unique blend of Northdown, Target, Challenger and Goldings hops imparts grassy, peppery notes on the tongue along with intense citrus fruit characters of grapefruits, oranges and lemons. The blend of Pale Ale and Crystal malts in the brew give a biscuity, toffee element to the beer. A smooth, mellow bitterness lingers on the palate to give a superbly satisfying finish.

Uruguay
Uruguay beer is hard to get, so I recommend just drinking double the English beer for extra hope or whatever you feel like. But this is one of the easiest ones to get if there was one.

Patricia (Brewed by Fabricas Nacionales De Cerveza) 5%.

Patricia Beer (4 November 1919 – 15 August 1999) was an English poet and critic.
She was born in Exmouth, Devon into a family of Plymouth Brethren. She moved away from her religious background as a young adult, becoming a teacher and academic. She began to write poetry after World War II, while living in Italy; she is most often classified as a 'New Romantic' poet comparable to John Heath-Stubbs. On her own account, however, there is a discontinuity in her work. Devon is a major presence[

Patricia is the 2nd most sold beer in Uruguay and is also exported to Brazil. It's a pale lager.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 19, 2014

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
Fluo I find your beer skills pretty astounding, well done.

You've also thought me that the giant Guinness breweries in Africa brew stronger Guinness which I never knew at all and now I really want some.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

Thanks Fluo I will buy some beers

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Where's the Cider thread fluo

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Since cause I had other stuff to do yesterday I missed the Cameroon vs Croatia beer one. Colombia aren't really big on beer choice so I will just write up the one that I had already picked for Croatia. Cameroon 0 - 4 Croatia. Crikveničko Svijetlo is going through.

Crikveničko Svijetlo (Brewed by Pivovara Crikvenica) around 4%.

Beautiful cloudy amber color, big white head. Some lacing on the side. Medium to full body, soft carbonation. Aroma is malts, grassy hops, unidentified fruitiness. Taste is medium sweet and medium bitter with very pleasant bitter aftertaste.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 19, 2014

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

Where's the Cider thread fluo

Cider is a weird one as its super regional. Best cider comes from the West Country though. Just order some cider or perry from the Bristol Cider Shop if you're in the UK. :)
I highly recommend Heck's Kingston Black, it's one of my favourites had it growing up cut with tons of lemonade, haven't had it for awhile. Will have to get round to getting some more sometime soon now the sun is out. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

sircozzie posted:

Fluo I find your beer skills pretty astounding, well done.

You've also thought me that the giant Guinness breweries in Africa brew stronger Guinness which I never knew at all and now I really want some.

They have alot more flavour then the basic 4%ish Guinness you get on draft or in cans, they aren't to everyones taste and it depends on which country as noted each one does it slightly different but hope you enjoy it if you find some, they sell them in supermarkets here so hopefully they sell them elsewhere. :)

• Locked thread