Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fremry posted:

I think this may be the crux of it. You shouldn't "have to know" how to play a console.

You have to "have to know" how to play literally every video game system on the market. There are people who regularly play PC shooters who absolutely can't grasp or can't stand using a controller to play anything, even games designed with controllers in mind. Likewise, there are people who find simple controllers unwieldy or confusing and can't keep track of the number of buttons. Hell, there are people thrown off by the difference between square-x-triangle-circle and a-b-x-y.

You're used to using a controller so it feels more natural to you and something different inherently feels more alien. A lot of people who picked up Wiis when it was a fad did so because the Wii controller was actually less intimidating than a classic controller was, and it's also a big part of why modern Smartphone games are so easy to pick up and play.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

homeless snail posted:

When I played Mario 64 for the first time I held the far left and right handles in my hands, stretched my thumb over to the stick, and jammed the middle spike into my stomach for stability. Video games are hard.

For people used to the precision of dual sticks or mouse and keyboard, I can understand why motion controls wouldn't be your thing. It's also the reason that Nintendo went back to the dual sticks for the Wii U.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Hmm, I like the idea of not needing to know how to play a piece of entertainment that requires numerous points of input. Maybe they should create a screen that you can just touch and drag to play the game? Somebody should make that but please don't steal my idea.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Has this been discussed? NoA just announced the Mercedes MK8 DLC coming to America.

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/480017305502773248

That drat thing still looks really goofy, even for Mario Kart

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Louisgod posted:

You can probably get it for cheap in SA-Mart from somebody instead assuming that not everybody on SA pirated the thing.

My brother bought Skyward Sword for $.25 last week. No, that's not a typo, just someone at a garage sale getting rid of stuff way too cheap.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

You have to "have to know" how to play literally every video game system on the market. There are people who regularly play PC shooters who absolutely can't grasp or can't stand using a controller to play anything, even games designed with controllers in mind. Likewise, there are people who find simple controllers unwieldy or confusing and can't keep track of the number of buttons. Hell, there are people thrown off by the different between square-x-triangle-circle and a-b-x-y.

You're used to using a controller so it feels more natural to you and something different inherently feels more alien. A lot of people who picked up Wiis when it was a fad did so because the Wii controller was actually less intimidating than a classic controller was, and it's also a big part of why modern Smartphone games are so easy to pick up and play.

Right, but when the Wii came out there were really three demographics of potential videogame players. People who spent 20 years getting used to the style of controller that Nintendo created, people used to keyboard and mouse, and people who didn't play videogames because the other two were too complicated.

Wii's motion controls were great in that they opened up that last demographic. It's why so many Wii's were sold. But they were also the demographic who didn't ultimately care greatly about videogames and that's why Nintendo's software attach rating was as low as it was. Grandmom's nursing home had a Wii, but the only game anyone ever played was Wii Sports. It sold consoles, but it didn't contiue to sell software. The people buying multiple titles were the first two demographics.

And don't get me wrong, I have an affinity to the accesibility of the motion controls because it allowed my Uncle with cerbral palsy and a clentched left hand to play games for the first time since the NES (he used the big arcade stick for the NES). But from a business point of view, it opened up a big market of people who didn't spend a lot on software at the sacrifice of pushing the smaller group of software spenders onto the other platforms.

I mean you can really see it in smartphones and tablets. The touch screen opened up that demographic of people for whom controllers and keyboard/mouse is too complicated like never before, but that same demographic rarely buys any software over $1, and that's if they buy the software at all. How many times have you heard someone talk about an app and then immediately justify the small amount of money they spent on it? "Yeah, it's a cool app. It costs $.99 but to me it's worth it because I use it so much."

It's obviously not as clear cut as that because the quality of their first party titles begrudgingly brought those controller and keyboard/mouse players over, but you get the jist of what I'm saying. It was a runaway hit because of it's accessibility to the masses, but those masses weren't ever the lifeblood of the gaming industry.

Edit: And now that I've hit the post button I realize how much time I wasted thinking/writing that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fremry posted:

For people used to the precision of dual sticks or mouse and keyboard, I can understand why motion controls wouldn't be your thing. It's also the reason that Nintendo went back to the dual sticks for the Wii U.

"Precision of dual sticks" good joke buddy you had me going there

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Fremry posted:

For people used to the precision of dual sticks

Auto-aim is a hell of a drug.

Fremry posted:

Edit: And now that I've hit the post button I realize how much time I wasted thinking/writing that.

Only because somewhere along this debate you went from "I don't enjoy motion controls" to business analysis.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 20, 2014

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

matrix ripoff posted:

Just make it where you mash your finger on the Wii U gamepad to fire them. Or have a button on a Pro controller be an automatic lock-on reticle and you press another button to fire the bits (which I'd prefer since playing games on the Wii U pad is just goofy to me).

I'll give you the Gamepad idea, though you'd be sacrificing an awful lot of accuracy, particularly if you've got fat fingers.

But auto lock-on? There's so much stuff on screen at once a lot of the time. I don't see how cycling through auto-lock targets to get the one I want (and likely overshooting it and having to cycle all the way through) would be any easier than slightly moving my wrist to aim a thing that's already pointed at my TV.

Anyway, you don't have to like motion controls. And I'd agree that in 90% of the games on the Wii they were poorly and lazily implemented. But when they were well designed they really added a lot to my game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fremry posted:

Yes, but the argument I was responding to was one which argued that you shouldn't "have to know how to play a console," which has nothing to do with attach rates. You do have to know how to play a console regardless of what you're playing it on.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, but the argument I was responding to was one which argued that you shouldn't "have to know how to play a console," which has nothing to do with attach rates. You do have to know how to play a console regardless of what you're playing it on.

Right. The fact that those demographics that are used to the controller and keyboard/mouse had a hard time using it was an issue. When your console depends on software sales from those demographics, making a control device that is hard for them to use and brings up people saying "you're just not using it right" is an issue when they can use your competitors' controllers without needing to "use it right".

Edit: It's the reason the Army used and uses XBOX 360 controllers to control devices. They went with a control interface that their recruits already knew how to use cutting training time and R&D costs.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 20, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fremry posted:

Wii's motion controls were great in that they opened up that last demographic. It's why so many Wii's were sold. But they were also the demographic who didn't ultimately care greatly about videogames and that's why Nintendo's software attach rating was as low as it was. Grandmom's nursing home had a Wii, but the only game anyone ever played was Wii Sports. It sold consoles, but it didn't contiue to sell software. The people buying multiple titles were the first two demographics.

The Wii's attach rate wasn't low, what are you talking about? Nintendo's games sold an immense amount of copies and jacked up the attachment rate.[/quote]

quote:

Yeah I think you're overthinking it but your point that the controls opened up the market to an untapped demographic is the part to focus on and it was very, very profitable for Nintendo. Outside that you can debate how useful or useless motion controls were/are but getting down to it, the WiiU does a decent job of offering a myriad of control options.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 20, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Louisgod posted:

The Wii's attach rate wasn't low, what are you talking about? Nintendo's games sold an immense amount of copies and jacked up the attachment rate.

Really? I may be speaking out of line, but I thought the per console software sales were bad compared to the PS3 and XBOX 360.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fremry posted:

Right. The fact that those demographics that are used to the controller and keyboard/mouse had a hard time using it was an issue. When your console depends on software sales from those demographics, making a control device that is hard for them to use and brings up people saying "you're just not using it right" is an issue when they can use your competitors' controllers without needing to "use it right".

Except you do need to use it right. That's the thing I'm saying. This isn't an uncommon or unusual problem for gamers. I know people who are having a really hard time going from X-360 to PS4 because they can't get used to the different button prompts and even PS3 owners who keep forgetting that the Touch Pad is a button itself. Adjusting to a new control scheme is an expected thing.

This also isn't exclusive to the Wii. Keyboard/mouse players also often have trouble adjusting to controllers and vice-versa.

Fremry posted:

Really? I may be speaking out of line, but I thought the per console software sales were bad compared to the PS3 and XBOX 360.

It depends on the games you're talking about. Things like Carnival Games or Just Dance sold extremely well on the Wii. Ubisoft probably supported the Wii U as much as it did because the Wii was directly responsible for Just Dance printing money. Traditionally sellers like Call of Duty had a lower attach rate that they did on any other system though.

People point to something like Madworld or No More Heroes selling poorly as an example of bad attach rate while ignoring that those games would have not had a great attach rate on any other system. Hell, No More Heroes sold better on the Wii than it did on the PS3 when it finally got a port.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 20, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It depends on the games you're talking about. Things like Carnival Games or Just Dance sold extremely well on the Wii. Ubisoft probably supported the Wii U as much as it did because the Wii was directly responsible for Just Dance printing money. Traditionally sellers like Call of Duty had a lower attach rate that they did on any other system though.

People point to something like Madworld or No More Heroes selling poorly as an example of bad attach rate while ignoring that those games would have not had a great attach rate on any other system. Hell, No More Heroes sold better on the Wii than it did on the PS3 when it finally got a port.

Yeah, I was more talking about the lifetime software to console attach rate, and I just found it. 9:1 for the Wii, which is an extremely good attach rate, so I was wrong.

Edit: And 5 of their top 9 Wii sellers were the various Wii sports/fit/play iterations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
edit: everyone just posted about this

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
A good way to judge attach rate for a system is to look at how much terrible shovel ware there is for it.

The Operative
Mar 15, 2012

I'd rather run over you with my car!

Misandu posted:

A good way to judge attach rate for a system is to look at how much terrible shovel ware there is for it.

That better not be a slight against Ninjabread Man. :colbert:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fremry posted:

From what I recall the average attach rates were something like 11/10/9 respectively for PS3/360/Wii discounting pack-in software

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Hey whats the word on lego city undercover? How much like GTA is it? My four year old really likes gta4 as a city walking and traffic light obeying game but I dont really want him exposed to the violance and language. Does anyone know how well lego city would be for that kind of thing? Can you get and drive cars easily as well as walk around and knock over trash bins and poo poo like that?

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Kly posted:

Hey whats the word on lego city undercover? How much like GTA is it? My four year old really likes gta4 as a city walking and traffic light obeying game but I dont really want him exposed to the violance and language. Does anyone know how well lego city would be for that kind of thing? Can you get and drive cars easily as well as walk around and knock over trash bins and poo poo like that?

It is absolutely a kid friendly GTA and your kid should love it. And getting cars and driving them into poo poo is easy and a ton of fun.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

The Operative posted:

That better not be a slight against Ninjabread Man. :colbert:

Let's call it a slight against Trixie in Toyland.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Misandu posted:

But Shovel Knight doesn't come out until next week? :v:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Kly posted:

He'll love it, go for it. You can walk, drive, and punch apart Lego structures.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Azmodaii posted:

I randomly came across a video of the new super mario bros game and it reminded me how awesome super mario world was on the snes and how much I loved that game. From what I can gather, the new SMB game also has a lot of secrets and alternative endings to levels etc that the SMW had and this is reason enough for me to go out and buy it, I haven't played any of the mario games since M64 so I wanted to ask which of the mario games are worth playing from the wii and wii u era.
Secret exits aren't really a thing in 3D World. The "New" Super Mario games have them, and are closer in spirit to SMW. NSMB gets a bad rap around here in my opinion, although I'd still concede that SM3DW is the better game overall.

3D World has "secret" content, but it's not really hidden in the SMW sense. It's more like "complete X to access Y" type of stuff.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Misandu posted:

Let's call it a slight against Trixie in Toyland.

Whoa step off

Next thing you know you're gonna call Funky Barn this generation's Tamagotchi's Party on!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Perry Normal posted:

It is absolutely a kid friendly GTA and your kid should love it. And getting cars and driving them into poo poo is easy and a ton of fun.

Do you steal the cars or just build them whenever you want or what? Do you need to go through a bunch of menus or anything to get vehicles? Is the world open and unlocked from the start? Sorry for so many questions but we would be getting him a wiiu for his birthday pretty much specifically for this if we did.

edit; and are the controls pretty similar to gta?

Kly fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 20, 2014

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kly posted:

Do you steal the cars or just build them whenever you want or what? Do you need to go through a bunch of menus or anything to get vehicles? Is the world open and unlocked from the start? Sorry for so many questions but we would be getting him a wiiu for his birthday pretty much specifically for this if we did.

You are a cop OK, you don't steal cars. You hold up your badge and commandeer them in a perfectly legal way. While undercover you have a mandate to borrow civilian vehicles but totally reimburse the owner later. It's all on the level.

Yes, you steal tons of vehicles, including a semi-truck snowplow hauling a jet engine on the back which works like you'd imagine it would. There are chain bonuses to slamming through Lego structures (benches, lamps, trees, bus stops, surfboards) as you drive between missions or just cruise around. Some areas are not easily accessible at first and/or are gated for plot reasons -- if you don't have a boat, you won't be going off boat ramps or down canals since you don't have a boat. If you don't have a helicopter yet, you won't be stunt-diving out of them, etc.

Once you unlock a vehicle you can call them in from vehicle drop points that you build everywhere. They're all predesigned but you can color them. The game is pretty great but has a long-rear end load time a the start and between chapters.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Children need to learn patience anyway.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Chronojam posted:

You are a cop OK, you don't steal cars. You hold up your badge and commandeer them in a perfectly legal way. While undercover you have a mandate to borrow civilian vehicles but totally reimburse the owner later. It's all on the level.

Cool, its not the stealing I really care about but the violent way it goes down in GTA. This sounds like it's pretty much exactly what we want. Loading times are no big deal either as GTA4 takes FOREVER to start on PS3. Last question, you mentioned chapters, is the game split into levels like most Lego games or is it open and you just grab missions like gta/saints row ?

edit; i lied, one more question, does it use motion controls much or at all? We have a Wii and he just can't figure out the motion control games.

Kly fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 20, 2014

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Chronojam posted:

From what I recall the average attach rates were something like 11/10/9 respectively for PS3/360/Wii discounting pack-in software

It was a pretty good attach rate for a system nobody would ever shut up about "Oh people just played Wii Sports and that was it."

Kly posted:

It's great. Perfect for kids. Perfect for you if you ever watched dumb stuff like Columbo or Kojak or Cagney and Lacey. Either that or if you like dumb platformer stuff between buildings and old N64 collectathons.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Kly posted:

edit; and are the controls pretty similar to gta?

You can literally just run up to someone driving a vehicle you want and press a button to take it. You don't "steal" them, though. You're a cop. You "commandeer" them.

You can unlock and get vehicles from drop-off stations but really it's just easier to nab a vehicle as you need it.

Don't know how similar the controls are to GTA, since I've only played that on PC. The controls are very simple though. Run around with left stick, jump with B, attack with Y, use with A. Bog standard stuff. Your kid will love it, and you'll be amused too because there are a lot of jokes aimed at adults (references to stuff from the 90's and before, for example).

The city is very open and easy to get around in. He'll probably just have a blast running around and breaking stuff. :v:

EDIT to respond to your above post. Gameplay is mission based, sort of like Saints Row.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Kly posted:

edit; i lied, one more question, does it use motion controls much or at all? We have a Wii and he just can't figure out the motion control games.
Correction: There are some motion controls in the game but they entail holding up the gamepad and looking around the city for things not waggling around or things like that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
What happens to the person that you commandeer the vehicle from? Can you take the care, drive it off a cliff and come back to them and dance in front of them or something? Want to make sure I'm able to abuse my cop privileges.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Louisgod posted:

What happens to the person that you commandeer the vehicle from? Can you take the care, drive it off a cliff and come back to them and dance in front of them or something? Want to make sure I'm able to abuse my cop privileges.

Drive the car off a cliff, then follow them as they sadly walk home, then commandeer their dog and throw it off a cliff.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Louisgod posted:

In that case, you should pull them over, shoot them, take the car to their home and drive it through the front.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Great, thanks for all the info guys, we'll be getting the mario wiiu bundle for $299 and grabbing Lego city as well. He also loves mario but hes still playing and enjoying the rereleases of nes/snes marios on my old gba and new mario on our wii so we didnt have much of a push for a wiiu until now. Im pretty stoked to check out new mario on wiiu too since i really liked the DS one.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kly posted:

Great, thanks for all the info guys, we'll be getting the mario wiiu bundle for $299 and grabbing Lego city as well. He also loves mario but hes still playing and enjoying the rereleases of nes/snes marios on my old gba and new mario on our wii so we didnt have much of a push for a wiiu until now. Im pretty stoked to check out new mario on wiiu too since i really liked the DS one.

If you're willing to wait til Sunday and you're in the US, Target's selling that bundle (we're talking about the one that comes with Mario U and Luigi U, right?) for $275. It's also Buy 2 get 1 free for all Wii U games starting then and the whole deal goes for a week.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Don't forget about the Mario Kart deal too, you can get Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, or Wii Party U for free if you register it before the end of July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Id have no problem waiting since his birthday is a month away still but im in canada.

• Locked thread