Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fremry posted:

I think this may be the crux of it. You shouldn't "have to know" how to play a console.

From a page or so back...but I really can't believe the ignorance of this statement. Were you born knowing how to operate every company's game console and their respective controllers? That'd be a neat trick, given that unless you're really really young, the current "standard" controller design didn't exist when you were born. There's a learning curve for every single device you ever come into contact with in your life. Some are simpler than others. It may take you 15 seconds to learn how to use your can opener, maybe half an hour to figure out all the defrost and popcorn settings on your new microwave, and a couple hour-long play sessions to become comfortable with a new console controller, for ANY system, not just Nintendo ones.

Yes, you absolutely have to know how to play a console. You don't play an Xbox 360 by waving the controller through the air and you don't play a Wii by pointing the wii-mote at the floor (Y'know, unless Wario Ware tells you to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't want to revive this discussion, but I think his point was that gaming consoles today have a standard of how to use them. The Wii broke that mold (and inspired the Kinect, Move etc etc) and he didn't like that he had to learn how to play it. For example, take the 7th gen out entirely and you can easily see one person jumping from one console to the next with the only barrier needing to know what buttons do what.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Misandu posted:

Let's call it a slight against Trixie in Toyland.

Where is Anubis 1 Nintendo!? :argh:

Grandpa Goodtimes
Oct 10, 2012

I know one bone in my body that works.
Loving Pikmin 3. I wish they would update the original 2 for the touch screen, because this game is super and I want more.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

The best thing about playing Wii games in Dolphin is that you can just suck the motion controls out of them.

"Shake" to do a thing is really, really dumb. I can definitely see little kids enjoying it but I don't really believe people when they say they prefer that to pressing a button. It's the exact same function as a button, but you have to shake your controller around like a spaz to hit it.

The sword controls in Skyword Sword would've been much better if it had been "press a + swing remote", rather than just swinging the remote on its own. The problem I had with the combat was that I would often swing when just resetting to a neutral position, or adjusting my wrist to swing in another direction. It wasn't terrible, but the whole time I found myself wishing I could plug in a pro controller and use the right stick to swing (sort of like Skate).

Pointing down to roll bombs was just annoying though.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

I don't want to revive this discussion, but I think his point was that gaming consoles today have a standard of how to use them. The Wii broke that mold (and inspired the Kinect, Move etc etc) and he didn't like that he had to learn how to play it. For example, take the 7th gen out entirely and you can easily see one person jumping from one console to the next with the only barrier needing to know what buttons do what.

Right. An it's not so much that I didn't like it, as I didn't have a Wii and only played it minimally, I just don't think it's a meaningful statement to tell someone who obviously has been playing games for a long time (since they are posting in a forum dedicated to games) that their issue with the motion controls weren't with the motion controls, but that they were "not playing correctly". If a person who is very familiar with videogames can play your console so incorrectly to be arduous, the problem is that your console can be played incorrectly and not with the experienced gamer that is "playing incorrectly".

Basically, if an experienced gamer can "play incorrectly", the issue is with the designers, not the player.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 20, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fremry posted:

Right. An it's not so much that I didn't like it, as I didn't have a Wii and only played it minimally, I just don't think it's a meaningful statement to tell someone who obviously has been playing games for a long time (since they are posting in a forum dedicated to games) that their issue with the motion controls weren't with the motion controls, but that they were "not playing correctly". If a person who is very familiar with videogames can play your console so incorrectly to be arduous, the problem is that your console can be played incorrectly and not with the experienced gamer that is "playing incorrectly".

Basically, if an experienced gamer can "play incorrectly", the issue is with the designers, not the player.
I've got to say, that's an incredibly stupid argument. There are plenty of great games that can't be easily intuited without doing some research. Ultimately your line of thinking ends in 2 hour long tutorials in Zelda games and we don't want that.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/06/20/us-philips-nintendo-lawsuit-idUSKBN0EV17820140620

gently caress. There goes that reserve of billions from the Wii.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Man, Nintendo's legal team has been on the downturn recently.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

homeless snail posted:

I've got to say, that's an incredibly stupid argument. There are plenty of great games that can't be easily intuited without doing some research. Ultimately your line of thinking ends in 2 hour long tutorials in Zelda games and we don't want that.

It wasn't that the motion controls didn't work, it's that I didn't want to hold my arms out and wave them around for 3 hours of Metroid Prime and I was told I was doing it wrong and I should just rest my hands on my lap and just flick my wrists. So pretty much people found a way to make the intended mechanics to be simple and I just hadn't caught on.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Raserys posted:

Man, Nintendo's legal team has been on the downturn recently.

Actually they won a lawsuit against the dumbass patent troll company the other week so they win some and lose some. Kinda curious why the UK location of Phillips won but the US branch didn't? Is that where their headquarters is located?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Minidust posted:

Secret exits aren't really a thing in 3D World. The "New" Super Mario games have them, and are closer in spirit to SMW. NSMB gets a bad rap around here in my opinion, although I'd still concede that SM3DW is the better game overall.

3D World has "secret" content, but it's not really hidden in the SMW sense. It's more like "complete X to access Y" type of stuff.
There's a few warp pipes in 3D World :ssh:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

m.hache posted:

It wasn't that the motion controls didn't work, it's that I didn't want to hold my arms out and wave them around for 3 hours of Metroid Prime and I was told I was doing it wrong and I should just rest my hands on my lap and just flick my wrists. So pretty much people found a way to make the intended mechanics to be simple and I just hadn't caught on.

Dude go for a run or something.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Austrian mook posted:

Dude go for a run or something.

I'm quite active, thanks for caring.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

SeANMcBAY posted:

The final level in 3D World is harder then anything in Galaxy 1 or 2.

The Perfect Run is a bit harder IMO, because you can't cheese your way through it with multiplayer like in 3D World. But to eat their own.

The Monarch posted:

"Shake" to do a thing is really, really dumb. I can definitely see little kids enjoying it but I don't really believe people when they say they prefer that to pressing a button. It's the exact same function as a button, but you have to shake your controller around like a spaz to hit it.

That shake to do the float at the end of a jump in NSMB feels really natural, and I find myself doing it when I went back and played the other games.

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

m.hache posted:

How in the hell did you not think to rest your hands in the most comfortable position possible? The commercials had them standing up and waving their arms around, but it didn't mean you needed to. :psyduck:

LaserBaconMan fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 20, 2014

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

m.hache posted:

I'm quite active, thanks for caring.

FYI every time somebody on SA says this they end up not being attractive.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

LaserBaconMan posted:

How in the hell did you not think to rest your hands in the most comfortable position possible? The commercials had them standing up and waving their arms around, but it didn't mean you needed to.

I mentioned earlier that my old setup had me sitting below the TV line so I had to raise my arms up to hit the Wii Bar.

Louisgod posted:

FYI every time somebody on SA says this they end up not being attractive.

Probably accurate.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

ChaosArgate posted:

If you're willing to wait til Sunday and you're in the US, Target's selling that bundle (we're talking about the one that comes with Mario U and Luigi U, right?) for $275. It's also Buy 2 get 1 free for all Wii U games starting then and the whole deal goes for a week.

Also, if you're unwilling to wait, you can buy the console from Target right now and then bring back the receipt on Sunday (well anytime within 7 days of purchase) and get the $25 credit.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

LaserBaconMan posted:

How in the hell did you not think to rest your hands in the most comfortable position possible? The commercials had them standing up and waving their arms around, but it didn't mean you needed to. :psyduck:

I might be making this up but I think I remember a commerical or E3 trailer for Metroid Prime 3 where the guy actually curled up into a ball to go into morph ball mode

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Help Im Alive posted:

I might be making this up but I think I remember a commerical or E3 trailer for Metroid Prime 3 where the guy actually curled up into a ball to go into morph ball mode

You arent making it up, youre merging memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4MbNFN7ws&t=10s

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

HolePisser1982 posted:

Also, if you're unwilling to wait, you can buy the console from Target right now and then bring back the receipt on Sunday (well anytime within 7 days of purchase) and get the $25 credit.

Not gonna work, they're in Canada.

m.hache posted:

I mentioned earlier that my old setup had me sitting below the TV line so I had to raise my arms up to hit the Wii Bar.

I take it you never realized you could have moved the sensor bar to anywhere you would've wanted to make it more comfortable? Doing that might lead to you aiming at somewhere that's not your TV, but it's a thing you'd probably get used to quickly.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

I take it you never realized you could have moved the sensor bar to anywhere you would've wanted to make it more comfortable? Doing that might lead to you aiming at somewhere that's not your TV, but it's a thing you'd probably get used to quickly.

For a long time I kept my sensor bar several shelves below my TV, it was super comfy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

I found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irDcKlG8z4g

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Super Mario Bros was the first game I remember and I loved it, can you imagine one of your first games being Lego City Undercover? Lucky kid!

Grandpa Goodtimes posted:

Loving Pikmin 3. I wish they would update the original 2 for the touch screen, because this game is super and I want more.

This goes for anyone who enjoyed Pikmin 3, get Little King's Story for Wii. Same type of gameplay and a lot more depth.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gutcruncher posted:

I don't know that it was for Metroid specifically, but I definitely recall an early promotional spot for Wii that showed a person rolling behind their couch. Like, it was implied that this was how motion controls would work.

EDIT: ^^^^ beaten by a few posts. ahhahaha, glad to see that again, it was even sillier than I remembered it

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gotta love how vague patents have become that making vague gestures or pointing at a screen is considered patentable

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Gotta love how vague patents have become that making vague gestures or pointing at a screen is considered patentable

And how the Wii is what, 8 years old at this point? Did they just suddenly realize 6 or 7 years later that oh yeah, we patented that!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Louisgod posted:

And how the Wii is what, 8 years old at this point? Did they just suddenly realize 6 or 7 years later that oh yeah, we patented that!

They could have jumped on this much sooner, and been tied up in litigation for years and years. That's generally how it works, from my limited knowledge of these things. I mean, does anything ever go through the courts quickly?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Hahaha thats amazing. How does that even work?!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

One of the best parts of BLOPS2 on the WiiU is the option to play an HD Wii FPS. Too bad it didn't sell at all, releasing COD weeks late made sure it was dead in the water. I guess TDM forever was fun.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
So I just bought my Wii yesterday. Have some questions on the Gold/Platinum Club Nintendo stuff.

If I wait until the 1st to get all my coins, that means I won't get any free games until Summer 2015 for being Platinum, right ?

But if I start redeeming now, I'd need to hit 300/600 by the end of the month?

I want free games sooner rather than later! But so far I've only bought the System (Refurb), MK8, Monster Hunter, and Mario 3D World. I'm guessing it'd be hard as gently caress to hit Platinum in the next week.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

jsr v2.0 posted:

So I just bought my Wii yesterday. Have some questions on the Gold/Platinum Club Nintendo stuff.

If I wait until the 1st to get all my coins, that means I won't get any free games until Summer 2015 for being Platinum, right ?

But if I start redeeming now, I'd need to hit 300/600 by the end of the month?

I want free games sooner rather than later! But so far I've only bought the System (Refurb), MK8, Monster Hunter, and Mario 3D World. I'm guessing it'd be hard as gently caress to hit Platinum in the next week.

You won't get the platinum rewards until summer 2015, but you can still redeem coins for games along the way. So, if you wait til the 1st to get all your coins, you can start redeeming them for games immediately - Platinum counts coins registered, not coins unspent.

Platinum rewards are usually physical, like a poster or soundtrack CD.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Not really. This case is still stupid as hell, though.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

burger time posted:

You won't get the platinum rewards until summer 2015, but you can still redeem coins for games along the way. So, if you wait til the 1st to get all your coins, you can start redeeming them for games immediately - Platinum counts coins registered, not coins unspent.

Platinum rewards are usually physical, like a poster or soundtrack CD.

Gotcha, thanks. So I'm pretty sure if I got to Gold before the end of the month for the rewards, I'd easily hit Gold for next year anyway. So basically, I think I'll just make sure I hit gold by EOM.

Actually - registering games/consoles, how many coins do they tend to be worth?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

One of the best parts of BLOPS2 on the WiiU is the option to play an HD Wii FPS. Too bad it didn't sell at all, releasing COD weeks late made sure it was dead in the water. I guess TDM forever was fun.

What are the populations for the CoD games like on the system these days? I'm finding the idea of playing shootmans on the gamepad very appealing. More interested in BLOPS2 really.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Is there a reason that Black Ops II reviewed a lot better than Ghosts on the Wii U?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Is there a reason that Black Ops II reviewed a lot better than Ghosts on the Wii U?

I think Ghosts just got pretty mixed reviews in general since it's really just more of the same (This applies to basically all of the CoD games since MW2 but critics only figured it out recently I guess)

Black Ops 2 plays great on Wii U though. Playing on the gamepad was neat and it was nice to see that the Wii U can actually do online. I dunno if anyone's still playing it though

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah Black Ops II was reviewed better than Ghost across all versions afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ghosts was particularly garbage even for a CoD game. Bad maps, no one liked the few new mechanics they added, single player campaign was horrible.

• Locked thread