Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

hookerbot 5000 posted:

My mum said the same, she used to leave us alone in the flat when her and dad went to dinner parties in other peoples flats. It's like people that used to leave their babies in prams outside cafes for an hour and never thought twice about it.

They still do leave them outside cafes in sub zero temperatures in Nordic countries. Cultural differences!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You missed the personal apology!

quote:

In another Tweet he said: "Sorry @y_alibhai if you actually thought I would punch you. I actually don't do that sort of thing. But you are utterly infuriating! xx"

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ddraig posted:

A comedian who I can't remember the name of once said magazines like a hello and OK are for casual psychopaths because of the completely radical tone difference even on a single page. Like, a picture of a happy smiling person on the cover with I WAS FORCED TO EAT MY LEGS TO SURVIVE as one of the main stories.
That was Charlie Brooker on You Have Been Watching.

edit: my nana used to always have stacks of those magazines, my favourite ever headline was "My nipple fell off in the bath!" :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 20, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

Because he is an MP and she is a Muslim woman and you can get away with saying that to her.

Now if she was a billionaire author and he was a twitter nobody then this would be far more serious even and police would intervene.

Of course, had she been a billionaire author who supported independence for Scotland you'd have thought those people were as bad as Fabricant.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

Of course, had she been a billionaire author who supported independence for Scotland you'd have thought those people were as bad as Fabricant.

They're both loving terrible, I'm just pointing out the disparity of reaction from the police.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Gonzo McFee posted:

They're both loving terrible, I'm just pointing out the disparity of reaction from the police.

There is no disparity. The police did nothing on the Rowling case until 5 days after the abuse and only started an investigation after somebody made a complaint to them.

I haven't seen anything to suggest a complaint has been made to the police for the Alibhai-Brown tweet and only 1 day has passed since it happened.

Perhaps nobody has made a complaint because making a terrible attempt at humour at someone's expense isn't a criminal offence, whereas a concerted campaign of direct abuse is?

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 20, 2014

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Prince John posted:

There is no disparity. The police did nothing on the Rowling case until 5 days after the abuse and only started an investigation after somebody made a complaint to them.

I haven't seen anything to suggest a complaint has been made to the police for the Alibhai-Brown tweet and only 1 day has passed since it happened.

Perhaps nobody has made a complaint because making a terrible attempt at humour isn't a criminal offence, whereas a concerted campaign of direct abuse is?

Non white women get dogs abuse on twitter every day and nothing is ever done about it. Hell, 4chan recently started a campaign to purely target black women who identified as feminists.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

baka kaba posted:

You missed the personal apology!

"Sorry you got offended/felt threatened" kind of apology, nice.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 20, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Prince John posted:

Perhaps nobody has made a complaint because making a terrible attempt at humour at someone's expense isn't a criminal offence, whereas a concerted campaign of direct abuse is?

The nationalist threats and abuse against Rowling have been made in all seriousness and have not (TTBOMK) been retracted or apologised for, so it's not the same at all. A better example would have been that guy who was sacked for making an obvious joke threat on Twitter to blow up Nottingham airport. He and Fabricant both made a stupid tweet and retracted it, but he was punished and it's doubtful Fabricant will be.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

Non white women get dogs abuse on twitter every day and nothing is ever done about it. Hell, 4chan recently started a campaign to purely target black women who identified as feminists.

That 4chan campaign is pretty outrageous. I'd be interested to know how many of those black women are actually reporting the abuse to the police as opposed to not bothering because "they know it won't do anything".

^^ Sorry, I meant there is no disparity in police response. I agree with you that the JK Rowling abuse is not comparable with this latest tweet.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 20, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kurtofan posted:

"Sorry you felt threatened" kind of apology, nice.

I got more of a "oh darling I wouldn't really hurt you, you just really know how to push my buttons :)" vibe

kiss kiss

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Gonzo McFee posted:

Not just black women. One of my (white) mates who's a vocal feminist and sex worker got hit by a load of the fake accounts they'd made too.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Prince John posted:

That 4chan campaign is pretty outrageous. I'd be interested to know how many of those black women are actually reporting the abuse to the police as opposed to not bothering because "they know it won't do anything".

^^ Sorry, I meant there is no disparity in police response. I agree with you that the JK Rowling abuse is not comparable with this latest tweet.

They report it all the time and are constantly told that there is nothing they can do.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

glitchkrieg posted:

Not just black women. One of my (white) mates who's a vocal feminist and sex worker got hit by a load of the fake accounts they'd made too.

Out of interest, did she have any luck going to the police? Or did she let it slide?

4Chan :argh:

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 20, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

The nationalist threats and abuse against Rowling have been made in all seriousness and have not (TTBOMK) been retracted or apologised for, so it's not the same at all. A better example would have been that guy who was sacked for making an obvious joke threat on Twitter to blow up Nottingham airport. He and Fabricant both made a stupid tweet and retracted it, but he was punished and it's doubtful Fabricant will be.
Wasn't there a change in the advice given to prosecutors over obvious joke threats in large part because of that event though?

On the other hand, twitter users have been jailed for 'being grossly offensive' in the absence of any threat, like the guy that joked about the Ann Maguire stabbing, so maybe there's an angle there, as subjective and ridiculous as those kind of laws can be.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kraxis posted:

That was one of the many things that utterly mystified me about my ex-girlfriend, she'd read these harrowing novels and auto-biographies about people who'd had the very worst things happen to them along with watching those stupid pet rescue programmes that feature tortured or abandoned animals. She'd deliberately and intentionally go out of her way to make herself upset. For fun.
People are weird, man.

Well the animal ones I can understand, you watch shows like that to see them getting helped and nursed back to health and seeing the fuckers responsible caught and punished. I can't watch shows like that myself, because the abuse part is far too upsetting to me, but I can understand it. The "Painful Lives" stuff though, I got nothing. First time I saw that shelf in Waterstones I did a double-take, it made no sense that people would want to read it. Write about it, sure, that makes a lot of sense, but reading about what other people have gone through in such an extended and horrible fashion? Makes perfect sense - if you're a sadist.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Prince John posted:

For what criminal offence?

It's just a bad attempt at humour. He hasn't threatened her.

"Crap! Robin Hood airport is closed. You've got a week and a bit to get your poo poo together, otherwise I'm blowing the airport sky high!!"

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Heavy_D posted:

"Crap! Robin Hood airport is closed. You've got a week and a bit to get your poo poo together, otherwise I'm blowing the airport sky high!!"

I must have missed that episode of Thunderbirds.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

Well the animal ones I can understand, you watch shows like that to see them getting helped and nursed back to health and seeing the fuckers responsible caught and punished. I can't watch shows like that myself, because the abuse part is far too upsetting to me, but I can understand it. The "Painful Lives" stuff though, I got nothing. First time I saw that shelf in Waterstones I did a double-take, it made no sense that people would want to read it. Write about it, sure, that makes a lot of sense, but reading about what other people have gone through in such an extended and horrible fashion? Makes perfect sense - if you're a sadist.

Or a victim. If you're reading about someone who had it worse than you, you know it can be worse; if they had it as bad as you, you know you're not alone; and if they had it better than you, you know you can sell a book about it. Even for people who aren't victims of abuse, that first one makes sense. In times of economic hardship the two movie genres that do best are musicals and horror.

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

Heavy_D posted:

The Paul Chambers case was extraordinary really and it still baffles me that it was only pushed because the top brass at DPP wanted it to.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Gonzo McFee posted:

They report it all the time and are constantly told that there is nothing they can do.

I'm going to actually verify this; I got a pretty nasty threat levelled my way so I reported it to Twitter support and to the police. The officer who dealt with the incident told me "I'll be honest, this isn't going to end up in court, but we'll log it as an incident anyway."

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TinTower posted:

I'm going to actually verify this; I got a pretty nasty threat levelled my way so I reported it to Twitter support and to the police. The officer who dealt with the incident told me "I'll be honest, this isn't going to end up in court, but we'll log it as an incident anyway."

Well that's clearly your fault for not being a cis billionare.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Well that's clearly your fault for not being a cis billionare.

I even mentioned the Caroline Criado-Perez case too. :smith:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TinTower posted:

I even mentioned the Caroline Criado-Perez case too. :smith:

Real Talk: That is lovely as hell and I'm really sorry for anything you have to go through for being who you are. Never ceases to amaze me how much abuse people seem to get for voicing an opinion while not being white, straight and male. :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jedit posted:

Or a victim. If you're reading about someone who had it worse than you, you know it can be worse; if they had it as bad as you, you know you're not alone; and if they had it better than you, you know you can sell a book about it. Even for people who aren't victims of abuse, that first one makes sense. In times of economic hardship the two movie genres that do best are musicals and horror.

That does make sense. I had a pretty lovely childhood (though not enough to write such a book, thank christ) but never found such things particularly appealing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Plod (and ISPs, and website owners) don't want to touch most online abuse cases, absent some large exterior force, because they feel (with perhaps a touch of justification) that most cases are an absolute quagmire that requires a massive amount of effort to unpick. So they'll only act either in the presence of the aforementioned exterior force (large-scale press attention for example) or where there's a really clear and unambiguous offence (the Maguire cases, and even then that was against two people already known to them and with some outside pressure).

We're still in the very early days of online interaction and the law works very slowly (by design). At the moment we#re still working out where things fit into the existing framework, and that process has to finish before anyone even thinks of beginning to change that framework.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Well all the footballing chatted among my fellow students has been nipped in the bud, lovely. Worst performance ever is it?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Lord Twisted posted:

Well all the footballing chatted among my fellow students has been nipped in the bud, lovely. Worst performance ever is it?
Well it beats the years where we didn't even qualify for the tournament, but other than that...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Between the 1962 and 1982, we only got through qualifying once.

But yeah, worst performance since failing to qualify since Euro 2008, at the very least.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
Today I learnt around 30 schools in the UK using some terrible American Evangelist curriculum which includes creationism/evolution is a lie and claims there is no biological difference between homosexual and straight people therefore making it a learnt behaviour. :negative: Gove, ban this sick foreign filth.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

A Sloth posted:

Today I learnt around 30 schools in the UK using some terrible American Evangelist curriculum which includes creationism/evolution is a lie and claims there is no biological difference between homosexual and straight people therefore making it a learnt behaviour. :negative: Gove, ban this sick foreign filth.

You're waiting to jump in and say "Well why aren't you mad about Muslims."

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

TinTower posted:

Between the 1962 and 1982, we only got through qualifying once.

But yeah, worst performance since failing to qualify since Euro 2008, at the very least.

Scotland qualified three times :smug:.

Before 1998; Scotland actually had one of the better qualifying records. Things have changed since then, but unless disaster strikes we might actually have a chance to qualify for the next World Cup...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
There's a Steiner school near my flat. gently caress that.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Gonzo McFee posted:

My cunning ruse has been foiled,

Actually no I wasn't.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

thehustler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

A Sloth posted:

I believe it already is banned, evolution is part of the science national curriculum which all community schools must teach and most academies do teach.

The guidance on free schools was changed in 2012 to bar groups that preach creationism from setting up free schools, and remove funding from existing schools.

Gonzo McFee posted:

There was, and maybe still is, a lot of funding and text books from Saudi coming into the UK for Muslim schools, and this was/is a bit of a worry because of the Wahhabism not the Islam.

thehustler posted:

Eurgh. Homeopathy and hippy teachers.

HortonNash fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 20, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

HortonNash posted:

The guidance on free schools was changed in 2012 to bar groups that preach creationism from setting up free schools, and remove funding from existing schools.

This makes it sound like creationism was only banned a few days ago:
http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2014/06/18/secular-triumph-as-government-bans-creationism-from-free-sch

Gotta love the original weasel wording from the DfE site in 2011

quote:

Are Free Schools permitted to teach creationism/intelligent design and obliged to teach evolution?
We would expect to see evolution and its foundation topics fully included in any science curriculum.
We do not expect creationism, intelligent design and similar ideas to be taught as valid scientific theories in any state funded school.

We sure wouldn't expect that to happen, no sir!

Also this is great: Ed Miliband's Sun endorsement 'will not happen again'

quote:

His meeting with Mitchell follows a remarkable interview with Labour Deputy leader Harriet Harman, in which she sought to defend Miliband's endorsement of the paper.

Harman said that Miliband had been right to pose with a copy of the paper but also right to apologise for having done so.

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 20, 2014

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Christ they are all so insipid.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Clegg's not going to get away with it either. Cosying up to Murdoch might swing more than a few local parties against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Funny, I don't even remember seeing the Deputy Prime Minister joining in. Just more important and influential figures like the mayor of London and Farage.

:parrot:

• Locked thread