Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Real Washington

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alouicious posted:

It's like naming your team the Kansas City Buddies

Mascot is a bunch of puppies being euthanized.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

My proposal for a new name
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2014/06/the-washington-rexskins.html

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

That is some weird rear end DBZ fan art right there.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Whys a white dude streaking across county lines?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Parlett316 posted:

They will all go once the Redskin name falls because they will have more and more public support.

Good, gently caress the Braves.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Nybble posted:

Chris Cooley, you used to be a lovable goof, now you're just an ignorant Dan Snyder talking head

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...g-the-chargers/

yes, the chargers, well done sir, you have bested all of the arguments, why didn't we think of that before.

-- Just kinda goes to show that the team and the players don't actually talk to real Native Americans, so anything talking about "pride" is just bullshit.

Discussing if the Redskins lose their appeal posted:

Czaban: The only good counter argument is to say as soon as the Kansas City Chiefs and the Cleveland Indians and the Florida State Seminoles all want to do this then we’d certainly listen to them if they want us to join their movement to change their names….[Otherwise] say we’ll be the Washington Chiefs and paint a more racist picture on the side of the helmets, a buck-toothed Native American that says Chiefs. It won’t say Redskins, but it’ll be a really ugly Native American. It will not be a proud, dignified Native American. It’ll be very cartoonish, like Chief Wahoo, with a big buck-toothed smile.

Cooley: Chiefs and spell it wrong. Put the [e before the i]…..No, I think if, God forbid, they were forced to change the name, they should just change it to the Smurfs. Something just out there. And then make the Smurf a little Indian Smurf, a red Smurf.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
But the Chargers are named after horsies...

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The Washington Drunken Native Peoples.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So I was talking with a friend about this last night and she said she wasn't really sure why the patent office was able to invalidate the trademark. Her argument was that invalidating it runs afoul of the First Ammendment. Does anyone have any more detailed legal info about the legal validity of removing the trademark? I tried to read the decision but I'm not a lawyer and it just confused me.

Essentially, why is the law banning the trademark of slurs constitutionally okay?

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 20, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Parlett316 posted:

It's not up to you to decide what is or is not offensive to a group of people.

Point to where I said what is or is not offensive to people, retard. I was merely pointing out that the word Chief does not specifically refer to Natives, unless the team attaches Native imagery to it such as the Kansas City Chiefs have done. If KC removed that imagery and allowed it to just refer to the leader of a tribal movement then it could apply to almost any race ever. Stop being an rear end just because your precious Redskins are a loving slur.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

axeil posted:

So I was talking with a friend about this last night and she said she wasn't really sure why the patent office was able to invalidate the trademark. Her argument was that invalidating it runs afoul of the First Ammendment. Does anyone have any more detailed legal info about the legal validity of removing the trademark? I tried to read the decision but I'm not a lawyer and it just confused me.

Essentially, why is the law banning the trademark of slurs constitutionally okay?

The first amendment means you can't go to jail for saying bad things. It has nothing to with trademarking.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

The first amendment means you can't go to jail for saying bad things. It has nothing to with trademarking.

The modern day average person interpretation of the First Amendment is "You can say anything you want, even really racist stuff, and nobody can get mad at you."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

axeil posted:

The short version: Section 2 of the Lanham Act bans registration (and maybe, depending on who you ask, enforcement) of slur trademarks, where registration confers certain benefits. It doesn't ban using those words, just the benefits provided under law. Therefore, no First Amendment problem.

(Section 2 actually has been challenged on a First Amendment basis, since it conditions a government-provided benefit on abstention from First Amendment rights. It's not implausible as a theory, but it also hasn't been successful in court since commercial speech receives somewhat lessened First Amendment protection.)

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

axeil posted:

My understanding is that Redskin NFL Team is free to use the logo and everything that goes with it, thus satisfying the first amendment. They just can't go after other people for using it, I believe? Taking away the trademark just means that any rear end in a top hat can now use that logo on whatever he wants, and the Washington FC can't do anything about it.

If my understanding stated above is correct, the ruling doesn't really take away Snyder et al's right to profit from the racism - it just means that they can't prevent someone else from also profiting from the racism. That understanding is almost exclusively from reading the SA forums, so take it with a grain of salt.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Goddamnit Cooley, no.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DrKennethNoisewater posted:

My understanding is that Redskin NFL Team is free to use the logo and everything that goes with it, thus satisfying the first amendment. They just can't go after other people for using it, I believe? Taking away the trademark just means that any rear end in a top hat can now use that logo on whatever he wants, and the Washington FC can't do anything about it.

If my understanding stated above is correct, the ruling doesn't really take away Snyder et al's right to profit from the racism - it just means that they can't prevent someone else from also profiting from the racism. That understanding is almost exclusively from reading the SA forums, so take it with a grain of salt.

This is correct. No one is saying you legally cannot use the word 'redskin' and that logo, it's just that they don't 'own' that logo and team name anymore so now some other racist rear end in a top hat can make his local community football team The Redskins with that logo or whatever.

It's only a violation if the government literally says 'we will punish you for saying redskin', and even then it's kinda been established that hate speech and poo poo isn't 100% protected so even that's a gray area.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Seminole isn't even Native American in the first place. It did have a lot of Creek but it was also runaway slaves, Spanish, whatever showed up and joined the group.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The interesting thing will be how Redskins merchandise sells if this goes through, considering anyone can open up a shop and sell stuff that's just as officially licensed as the NFL's stuff.

Also really, the Cleveland Indians mascot already. Holy poo poo.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Well you can't put "NFL" on your bootleg Redskins merchandise I'm sure

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Volkerball posted:

The interesting thing will be how Redskins merchandise sells if this goes through, considering anyone can open up a shop and sell stuff that's just as officially licensed as the NFL's stuff.

Also really, the Cleveland Indians mascot already. Holy poo poo.

He's done nothing wrong. I dont follow baseball so I dont know what the gently caress this is, but I expected a big buck-toothed dude with a headdress.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, their logo I mean.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Cleveland uses a big C now instead of chief wahoo a lot

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I just realized the perfect name for Washington: the Swinging Gates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-tqLG__Al4

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The entire helmet needs to be that painting or they shouldn't even bother.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

axeil posted:

Because slurs belong to everyone.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I feel like the NFL has not been efficient enough with their sponsorship and product placement deals.

The Washington Carl's Jrs

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I feel like the NFL has not been efficient enough with their sponsorship and product placement deals.

Would it not be a Hardee's over there

cucka
Nov 4, 2009

TOUCHDOWN DETROIT LIONS
Sorry about all
the bad posting.

Lessail posted:

Would it not be a Hardee's over there

Carl Jr's is west coast if I'm not mistaken. It's Hardee's in Michigan and Wisconsin as i've seen.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

cucka posted:

Carl Jr's is west coast if I'm not mistaken. It's Hardee's in Michigan and Wisconsin as i've seen.

The cutoff is like Oklahoma-ish.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

The panthers really have owned the redskins lately.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
What about the cleveland browns

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It would be the Washington Five Guys

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sash! posted:

It would be the Washington Five Guys

Which would be fantastic.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Isn't income from sales of team merchandise split equally by all teams? Does that mean that this effectively is taking money from the entire league, and will therefore receive the full support of Goodell and the NFL legal team in the appeals process?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Washington Wasps

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
What about the Washington White Guilt

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012
Washington Fightin' Whities. It seems only fair.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If only they'd moved to Crystal City instead of Landover, we could have a whole Confederacy thing in play too.

The stadium would have been on Lee Highway. THAT Lee.

Although its got that name because he's from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Those people should be grateful the heroic white man did not finish what he started a few centuries ago so that they are still around to complain

• Locked thread