Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Here are some more quotes from yesterday

quote:

One of the many pastors who attended the march, who preferred not to disclose his name, similarly suggested that “the gay lifestyle is not gay. It’s filled with drug abuse, and violence, and sadness, and unhappiness.” He expects that there will eventually be a backlash against “the gay agenda.”

"We cannot change what the Bible defines.” She actually suggested that she would be okay with civil unions for same-sex couples, but she was also concerned that children would read books and learn that same-sex marriage is okay, even though it’s against their families’ beliefs: “Civil unions? What you do is your business, but what you teach my children is a whole different thing.” She added that if she learned that her own children were gay, she would be “disappointed,” and that it would “break her heart” if they got married, because she believes that acting on homosexuality is a sin.

A.J. from New Jersey said that he believes God might flood the world like he did in the times of Noah as punishment for society’s sexual sins: “My rabbi in Brooklyn said that 20 years after the United States legitimizes same-sex marriage and different sexual sins, then the entire country will go into disarray.”

Emily came from Jersey City, New Jersey because she believes that “homosexual marriage” is “completely immoral and wrong.” She doesn’t want the kids she’ll eventually have to live through this because “you want your society to be the way you are.”

Elsa brought her whole family, “nature doesn’t agree” with homosexuality, which is why there are “wards full of HIV-positive people and people dying of serious diseases.”

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/06/19/3450806/10-failures-from-the-washington-times-insert-promoting-the-march-for-marriage/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserBaconMan
Jan 13, 2014

Morter posted:

UuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUGHHH! :bang:

I don't loving get this logic at all! I'm not asking for it to be explained, I just don't get how blind you have to be to understand that there are too many people not living the way as "God intended" for reasons beyond their control. Has God abandoned them? Should they not live a holy life if they have been forsaken by only having one parent (or maybe neither)? Is gay marriage being legal the one thing that will disable everyone's natural instinct to reproduce??

I'm really not anti-theistic, but this is pure insanity that lends itself to a lack of critical thinking--as well as lack of basic human empathy--promoted by the same herd-like mentality that makes people hoop and holler when someone behind a podium says "Jesus Saves".

:sigh: Sorry for getting worked up.

It's fine. Trust me, you and I are in the same boat. :smith:

Except, living in the deep south, I have to experience this poo poo every single day on a constant basis. :smithicide:

LaserBaconMan fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 21, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I thought that was a quote from an Onion article at first.

:3: indeed.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Meanwhile, in Massachusetts (tagentially related)

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/06/20/massachusetts-to-cover-gender-identity-treatment/

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5515276/

quote:

"And fisting!" Donoghue said. "Do you know what fisting is?"

former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee posted:

I'm also convinced that if we reject his hand of blessing, we will feel his hand of judgment.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Morter posted:

Is gay marriage being legal the one thing that will disable everyone's natural instinct to reproduce??

Yes. I've said it before and I will say it again. Being gay is awesome, and being straight obviously sucks poo poo or you wouldn't need to make people do it.

Sorry breeders, once your son realizes he can have two hot boys before brunch and then drink martinis the rest of the afternoon, he's going to compare that to changing diapers and come over to our side.

hangedman1984 posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thank you, I needed a good laugh

Oh, right :smith:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Dark One posted:

former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee posted:

I'm also convinced that if we reject his hand of blessing, we will feel his hand of judgment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTvwaE0L6lg

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

quote:

A.J. from New Jersey said that he believes God might flood the world like he did in the times of Noah as punishment for society’s sexual sins:

Yeah man it's not like God promised he wouldn't do that anymore or anything.

Morter posted:

Is gay marriage being legal the one thing that will disable everyone's natural instinct to reproduce??

I don't know about you, but knowing that my state doesn't sanction hardcore sodomy is the only thing that keeps me going after pussy.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

quote:

One of the many pastors who attended the march, who preferred not to disclose his name, similarly suggested that “the gay lifestyle is not gay. It’s filled with drug abuse, and violence, and sadness, and unhappiness.” He expects that there will eventually be a backlash against “the gay agenda.”

This must be some bizarre type of coping mechanism like that "revolt is coming" poo poo on freep.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

VitalSigns posted:

Yes. I've said it before and I will say it again. Being gay is awesome, and being straight obviously sucks poo poo or you wouldn't need to make people do it.

Sorry breeders, once your son realizes he can have two hot boys before brunch and then drink martinis the rest of the afternoon, he's going to compare that to changing diapers and come over to our side.

I can't help being born straight, dude, quit hatin'.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Man where are these sex ed classes? Because you can't even mention gay sex in schools here or ya get fired.

Seriously, from what I remember of Sex Ed back in the early 90s it was all about AIDs awareness and proper birth control. Apparently we really missed out.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Seriously, from what I remember of Sex Ed back in the early 90s it was all about AIDs awareness and proper birth control. Apparently we really missed out.

You were lucky, we got pics of diseased genitalia and were told abstinence was the only way to avoid it.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

MaxxBot posted:

This must be some bizarre type of coping mechanism like that "revolt is coming" poo poo on freep.

I almost wonder when they'll come around and start supporting gay marriage, if it's as much of a fad as they say then surely when it's all popular no one will like it anymore because it won't be edgy anymore to be gay, right guys!?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

teacup posted:

I almost wonder when they'll come around and start supporting gay marriage, if it's as much of a fad as they say then surely when it's all popular no one will like it anymore because it won't be edgy anymore to be gay, right guys!?

in ten years when it's legal everywhere and almost nobody gives a poo poo except for people who have made plans to get married.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

hangedman1984 posted:

You were lucky, we got pics of diseased genitalia and were told abstinence was the only way to avoid it.

In England we got the same pictures and were told that this is why you use condoms. And that the only safe sex is masturbation.

I think we've hit a culture difference.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Freudian posted:

In England we got the same pictures and were told that this is why you use condoms. And that the only safe sex is masturbation.

Mine consisted of wait for marriage, masturbation is sex with the devil and gay is an evil abomination and leads to death. Later that semester, two students were expelled because they had sex. Another was expelled because she got pregnant.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

This, combined with Exodus 21:22-25 :

Wasn't there a movement back in the mid-80s/90s to change the wording of those lines so that they were regarded as more anti-abortion than they used to? I swear I read an article somebody posted here.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Wasn't there a movement back in the mid-80s/90s to change the wording of those lines so that they were regarded as more anti-abortion than they used to? I swear I read an article somebody posted here.

Sounds like something out of the Conservapedia thread. That's still going though, as insane as the characters involved are (Andy Schafly and the real winter of insanity bingo, user:Conservative)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

hangedman1984 posted:

Aren't you an NC goon? That'd explain a lot there.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
We had a week-long "write a report on some random STI" project, though they also emphasized how important it was to make sure you understood how to put on a condom and that there were a handful of other options.

What's really weird is that in like 5th grade or something there was a girl who had been talking about how some nuns (???) at her church were teaching a group of girls about various forms of birth control, and they'd brought a sponge to show around.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Grundulum posted:

I went to high school in NC and his post is depressingly accurate. That was 99-03, so we were spiraling down even before the current group of freepers TEA PARTY PATRIOTS tried to finish us off.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

Sounds like something out of the Conservapedia thread. That's still going though, as insane as the characters involved are (Andy Schafly and the real winter of insanity bingo, user:Conservative)

Found it:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2012/03/22/mischief-follows-in-partisan-bible-translations/

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

zachol posted:

What's really weird is that in like 5th grade or something there was a girl who had been talking about how some nuns (???) at her church were teaching a group of girls about various forms of birth control, and they'd brought a sponge to show around.

I don't know how weird that is; nuns in the United States are generally pretty liberal.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I can't help being born straight, dude, quit hatin'.

Ew keep it in the bedroom.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Grundulum posted:

Worse, Georgia

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

I believe these are the passages generally used to support that:

Man did not become a living soul until the breath of life was given to him. Fetuses don't breathe.

In this passage, the being which God is restoring to life, is not alive until it breathes again for the first time.

This, combined with Exodus 21:22-25 :

Seem clearly to indicate that fetuses in the bible are not considered people. Causing a miscarriage carries a fine, causing the woman to die carries punishment of death. Kidnapping someone is punishable by death. Hitting your parents is punishable by death. Hell, simply cursing your parents is punishable by death. Causing a miscarriage, though? Just a fine.

As a counterpoint:

Jeremiah 1:5 posted:

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

Jeremiah's obviously talking metaphorically about Israel as a collective entity, rather than about an individual, but that's sure an implication that he thinks that something's a living entity before it's born.

Just saying that saying that "the Bible says x" about any issue is usually oversimplifying and you can take a passage to use to mean the exact opposite of that point.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

hangedman1984 posted:

Worse, Georgia
:smith::hf::smith:

Same here. They paid lip service to condoms, but there were no demonstrations on how to use them and they were very clear that condoms could break and then you would get all those nasty diseases they showed you. There was never even the mention that you can only catch an STI from someone who already has one, which would have been a great way to lead into "don't go without protection just because they say they're clean" and "get tested" - a lot of my classmates finished middle school health class fully believing that sex could, like, create chlamydia. Did your teacher tell you about Gay Bowel, too?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wow, the quality of commenting has gone way down since the move to Patheos. :(

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Freudian posted:

Haha we had a Surgeon General suggest that and she got railroaded out of DC for her trouble.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Same here. They paid lip service to condoms, but there were no demonstrations on how to use them and they were very clear that condoms could break and then you would get all those nasty diseases they showed you. There was never even the mention that you can only catch an STI from someone who already has one, which would have been a great way to lead into "don't go without protection just because they say they're clean" and "get tested" - a lot of my classmates finished middle school health class fully believing that sex could, like, create chlamydia. Did your teacher tell you about Gay Bowel, too?

Nope, nothing gay was mentioned at all

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm from godless Europe and we got everything, explaining the male and female body, how and what sex was, the personal choice aspect of when to lose your virginity, consent, condom instructions, birthcontrol, what the period was and to be kind to ladies when they are on it. Stuff like anti-semen creams, female condoms, sextoys, etc also got lip service. We got LBTGQ rights as a monthly theme during history class.
It ain't perfect in my country lately regarding politics, but I'm glad its only economical poo poo and not sexual oppression.

Ironically for all the ~them muslims~ that is on the rise over here, most actual violence and poo poo is still from white countrymen.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 21, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Someone needs to show that one woman the myriad of gay animals in nature; her head will probably explode instantly

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Someone needs to show that one woman the myriad of gay animals in nature; her head will probably explode instantly

Something something let sin into the world, something something animals didn't eat or sodomize each other in Eden

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

FourLeaf posted:

I was really surprised by how many Hispanic people there were in attendance, and how some of the speeches (maybe all? I didn't watch the whole thing) were in Spanish or translated into Spanish. Are conservatives trying to change course on the anti-immigrant rhetoric? It's a bit late for that!

I know this post is some-pages old but I just found out this rather bothersome fact about the rally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMYjUAbzaRY

New York Senator urges church pastors and community leaders to send all their followers and participants to a super cool and ultra vague washington DC trip. The two and a half minute PSA literally does not mention anything marriage or gay related.

That is so blatantly conman that if I were a church-goer, I would stop trusting whatever church attempted to cart me off like lamb to the slaughter. Pun intended.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Morter posted:

I know this post is some-pages old but I just found out this rather bothersome fact about the rally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMYjUAbzaRY

New York Senator urges church pastors and community leaders to send all their followers and participants to a super cool and ultra vague washington DC trip. The two and a half minute PSA literally does not mention anything marriage or gay related.

That is so blatantly conman that if I were a church-goer, I would stop trusting whatever church attempted to cart me off like lamb to the slaughter. Pun intended.
NY State Senator. Fortunately it isn't somebody who actually matters in Government doing this.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rick Santorum when asked about supporting the nomination of the judge who went on to overturn PA's ban on gay marriage posted:

We're all entitled to a mistake.

:laffo:

Also Orlando's mayor, in 2 days at the city council meeting, will ask for support in filing an amicus brief supporting the lawsuits filed against Florida's gay marriage ban.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I'm from Virginia and they pretty much did the same thing for us when I took sex ed in the early 90s, basically told us condoms were completely unreliable and that the AIDS virus was smaller than the holes in a condom so even if you wore one you'd still get AIDS, so you'd better not have sex before you get married. I don't think gays were mentioned at all though.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm from Virginia and they pretty much did the same thing for us when I took sex ed in the early 90s, basically told us condoms were completely unreliable and that the AIDS virus was smaller than the holes in a condom so even if you wore one you'd still get AIDS, so you'd better not have sex before you get married. I don't think gays were mentioned at all though.

Not for the first time, but holy poo poo am I glad I grew up in godless secular New England during the early 90s. I mean I think they did pay lip service to waiting being preferable, but they at least did tell us how to use birth control and didn't lie about where STDs came from or anything. Goddamn.

VitalSigns posted:

Ew keep it in the bedroom.

You know us straights, always not forcing our heterosexuality down your throats.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Twelve by Pies posted:

quote:

Not for the first time, but holy poo poo am I glad I grew up in godless secular New England during the early 90s. I mean I think they did pay lip service to waiting being preferable, but they at least did tell us how to use birth control and didn't lie about where STDs came from or anything. Goddamn.

I also grew up in virginia only a few years later and they gave us actual failure rates for all the common forms of birth control--best case and what it tends to be with the general population--and detailed the various ways you could catch the different STDs (eg you can get gonorrhea in your eyes). They didn't mention gays directly but they did talk about how things like HIV transmission rate varies for different sex acts, to include anal, again giving actual numbers.

Turns out states aren't monolithic, and individual counties vary wildly. Who knew.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chris James 2 posted:

:laffo:

Also Orlando's mayor, in 2 days at the city council meeting, will ask for support in filing an amicus brief supporting the lawsuits filed against Florida's gay marriage ban.
That's good, because I live in Orlando and there is a huge gay scene here .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The deadline for an appeal of the judge's ruling in PA has passed. Long live legal gay marriage.

• Locked thread