Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Looking good. I sold all my painted 6mm Napoleonics because I wasn't keen on the basing format I used. I had about 800 each of French and Brits. I've also got about 1200 Austrians waiting to be painted. I love painting 6mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

muggins posted:

I put up some thoughts again on my progress with Bolt Action. I signed up to be a Sarge, basically their version of press ganger or street team. I demo the game and if I do enough I get 25% off orders with Warlord. I wouldn't do it just for the discount, I really want to get friends into the game. You also get a demo assault on Normandy kit.

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2014/06/bolt-action-promoted-to-sarge.html?m=1

I've never really heard of this before. Just curious, how did you end up signed up for that? How do they track how many demos you're doing?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Holy poo poo, man. How do you do all this stuff? Your LPs alone would bring me to my knees.

I'm just that good. I mean Organized, yes, Organized.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Flippycunt posted:

I've never really heard of this before. Just curious, how did you end up signed up for that? How do they track how many demos you're doing?

I'll put up some info later. If you Google bolt action Sarge it should show up. Basically you email their dude here in the USA and get going. I think it is US only.

My descent into historical is maddening. I ordered a PDF of rules from Too Fat Lardies.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Ordered my first 1/48 kits: a Sd.Kfz. 232, a Sd. Kfz. 222 and a Panzer II A/B/C. Operation Barbarossa is go!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

muggins posted:

I'll put up some info later. If you Google bolt action Sarge it should show up. Basically you email their dude here in the USA and get going. I think it is US only.

My descent into historical is maddening. I ordered a PDF of rules from Too Fat Lardies.
This thing: http://www.boltaction.net/2013/06/warlord-games-sarge-program.html ?

They're based in the same town as both GW and Mantic in the UK, so there's no reason they wouldn't have it available everywhere. I know ex-GW staff get a discount on their stuff too, if that applies to anyone here.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Can I claim my basement is a local store? Because I don't actually have a local store, but people come over to play in my basement.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

Can I claim my basement is a local store? Because I don't actually have a local store, but people come over to play in my basement.

Sell drinks and magic cards first.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Arquinsiel posted:

This thing: http://www.boltaction.net/2013/06/warlord-games-sarge-program.html ?

They're based in the same town as both GW and Mantic in the UK, so there's no reason they wouldn't have it available everywhere. I know ex-GW staff get a discount on their stuff too, if that applies to anyone here.

Yeah I realize they're in Nottingham but I recall reading somewhere that it's only available in the US? Could be totally wrong. The dude who's email that goes to is in Arizona I believe. It is not super well organized yet but I realized bolt action is very young and warlord is still getting things going.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Plastic M4A3(late), plastic US Rifle Platoon due out in July. Feeling pretty stoked, though I doubt I will be buying a rifle platoon; too many unbuilt US troops as it is. But those Volksstrum look like they could easily be used as partisans or even Warsaw uprising, especially with the armbands and the German helmets. I can't lie, Bridge at Remagen makes me want to build a US Armored Force again, despite the current lack of Axis players. And the fact that I have half a dozen other things I need to put together, like Pz.IIINs, PaK40s, 7.5cm lelG18s, French LW Infantry...

Ugh, drat my lack of focus on this game. And then WWI in August.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The 7.5cm leIG18's are really fun to put together. Cute as hell little guns, and so worth taking for the points.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I still need to finish my Soviets and already I'm starting a 653. Schwere Panzerjager list. :retrogames::hf::retrogames:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

The 7.5cm leIG18's are really fun to put together. Cute as hell little guns, and so worth taking for the points.

I suck at basing, so I'm trying to get them to work on the plastic bases with the holes already in them. I've proxied them before, they helped me to win one or two battles with the Mechanized Aces campaign that I tried to run. AT9 is scary when your highest FA is a 4.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 26, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

YF19pilot posted:

I suck at basing, so I'm trying to get them to work on the plastic bases with the holes already in them. Also, they helped me to win one or two battles with the Mechanized Aces campaign that I tried to run. AT9 is scary when your highest FA is a 4.
Ah, well then they might take a bit longer. I just sit mine on a base, glue mans around them in a sensible fashion and then take them off, spackle, push them down a bit and wait. Works out decently. They're really solid little AT guns for the price, and my regular opponent's Finns don't really have anything that they can't bang up nicely.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Arquinsiel posted:

Ah, well then they might take a bit longer. I just sit mine on a base, glue mans around them in a sensible fashion and then take them off, spackle, push them down a bit and wait. Works out decently. They're really solid little AT guns for the price, and my regular opponent's Finns don't really have anything that they can't bang up nicely.

Is that what everyone uses? Spackle? I have modeling clay, but I don't think that will work. Kinda want to keep with the Italy theme, maybe I should actually order some green stuff and do like a brick road or something. Otherwise, yeah, they don't go in the holes too well, probably would be for the better.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's whatI use. Some people use other things, but spackle is cheap and I enjoy sculpting it into sensible muddy terrain to hide with static grass.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I got great results with modelling paste, but you need to let it dry enough to not drip off right after you apply it.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I use acrylic texture medium/gels, generally liquitex because that brand seems to be everywhere.

They are lightweight, dry hard but won't chip or flake from abuse like putty.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Got my first game(s) of FoW in this past monday, had a blast while losing. Played a small Canadian Armoured Recce list with 6 Shemans and 2 Fireflies against a German list with 5 StuG's and 3 PzIV's. Things I learned:

-Fireflies are murderous to medium tanks/SPG's
-AT 10 guns on the other Shermans have a hard time with FA7 StuGs
-AT11 back against FA6 hurts!
-Stormtrooper is an amazing ability
-Cautious Move on a tank is hilariously good, and would have won me the game if not for Stormtrooper!
-I need some artillery/air to force tanks to move
-I can see why people love/hate American stabilizers

Second game we added objectives and it was really close, I just could not kill the enemy tanks reliably with only 2 Fireflies. Had a shitload of fun, though, and hopefully will get my infantry together to use this coming week.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 27, 2014

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Numlock posted:

I use acrylic texture medium/gels, generally liquitex because that brand seems to be everywhere.

They are lightweight, dry hard but won't chip or flake from abuse like putty.

Do this. Don't forget your 40% off coupon if you are going to Michaels.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I hate you guys. I went to my local Michael's to get Liquitex (which I did), and walked out with an airbrush and air compressor that was on clearance ($40 for a $150 compressor). Didn't get the fancy airbrush that was on clearance, because I figured it would be better for me to test out the $25 airbrush and ruin that, than to ruin an airbrush that would cost me $140 to replace (on clearance for $59.99 :v:)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Good find! I wish the UK had something like that - there's a big arts & crafts chain and various small shops but none have a big discount offer like that.

But if you can spare the $60, get the good airbrush if you can, you'll wish you had when you get used to the cheap one you already have.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I glue the man to the base, lay on a thick layer of PVA around his feet, and dip it in fine hobby sand. When dry paint it dark brown and then drybrush lighter brown. Add a little flock and sometimes a tiny pebble and viola.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm loving the large bases with holes. I bought the pewter PaK40s, and with the exception of having to take a miter to one of the guys, the guns and crew fit on perfectly (depends on the layout of the holes, of course).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Figures that Wargames Illustrated would have an article on painting Brit Paras right after I finished painting mine.

Also July's issue is very strange, it's all about "Pulp." I guess that's okay, but I like the magazine because I like historicals, and I fear between this and D.U.S.T. they're going to start getting dumb.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Figures that Wargames Illustrated would have an article on painting Brit Paras right after I finished painting mine.

Also July's issue is very strange, it's all about "Pulp." I guess that's okay, but I like the magazine because I like historicals, and I fear between this and D.U.S.T. they're going to start getting dumb.

So write a polite letter to the editor advising them of your concern. It's a valid complaint.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Does anyone have copies of Mig's Weathering Magazine? I decided to pick up as many copies of I as I can off eBay but can only find about half of the issues so far. I'm looking for #1 (of course!), 3 & 6 and I'm not sure yet if #8 is out yet.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I was looking at the OP, and Ambush Alley really caught my eye since I'm really loving games that revolve around counterinsurgency. I'm guess the OP is outdated because on the site I could find Force on Force and a sci-fi game... is that like a new edition? Can I still play asymmetrical warfare, are they good? Never really played these heavy historical games before, but something more modern era could pull me in. :)

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Yeah Force on Force is the new version of Ambush Alley and you can do asymmetrical warfare. Personally it's not my cup of tea but others like it.

Also don't assume that historical wargames are 'heavy'. Compared to games like Warmachine and 40k many historical rule sets are simplicity themselves. Cheaper to get into too.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Force on Force is the sequel of sorts to Ambush Alley. I've understood it takes the core mechanics of AA and adds all sorts of stuff to build a comprehensive ruleset for all sorts of modern skirmishes. Asymmetrical warfare is still there.

I've played it a couple of times, and it's kind of groggy but not terrible. The reaction-based turn mechanic encourages realistic tactics and it doesn't get bogged in milspergin' about rifle calibers. However, the rulebook is edited like rear end and some of the more specific rules are kind of incomprehensible. The devs also refuse to provide any kind of points system, which means making your own scenarios requires a lot of trial and error to get the challenge right.

Tomorrow's War takes Force on Force and layers a million fiddly sci-fi bits onto it.

Speaking of modern counterinsurgency skirmish games, does anyone know about Skirmish Sangin? I noticed Empress Miniatures picked up the rules for UK distribution.

Edit: I found an example of play. Looks like someone wanted to make a miniatures adaptation of ARMA 3.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 1, 2014

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

I am a big fan of pulp/steampunk/alternate history, so I quite enjoyed this issue :colbert:

I will have to agree to disagree here; I wouldn't want the magazine to diverge too much from its standard monthly content, however the odd themed issue isn't bad. Alternate historicals are still historicals to a degree and much more related than those other games. Anyway who doesn't want to punch a magic Nazi in the face every now and then?

I am not sure if the discussion of the games themselves are a valid topic for this thread though? Opinions?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

No Pun Intended posted:

I am a big fan of pulp/steampunk/alternate history, so I quite enjoyed this issue :colbert:

I will have to agree to disagree here; I wouldn't want the magazine to diverge too much from its standard monthly content, however the odd themed issue isn't bad. Alternate historicals are still historicals to a degree and much more related than those other games. Anyway who doesn't want to punch a magic Nazi in the face every now and then?

I am not sure if the discussion of the games themselves are a valid topic for this thread though? Opinions?

I don't see why, as I don't find it hard to keep up with the thread as of now. More discussion that is related to historical games is only welcome IMHO.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No Pun Intended posted:

I guess I'm annoyed because they ran a poll on Facebook around the time Battlefront acquired D.U.S.T., and the poll overwhelmingly favored sticking to historicals. You're right in that alternate history is still sort of history, and they've even done this before with that Africa thing they ran for a few issues.

And now that I've flipped through it, there's still plenty of actual historical stuff this issue, and on top of that the "Painting Paras" guide kind of sucked.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Double post, but it looks like next month is when WI releases Battlefront's WWI rules.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Double post, but it looks like next month is when WI releases Battlefront's WWI rules.

Yup. But this time Battlefront is playing it smart, if you buy one of the box sets you get the rules with it. I am a fool with money, so I will probably be buying both box sets next month, plus the extra fiddly bits to make 1500 points for both armies.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Siivola posted:

Force on Force is the sequel of sorts to Ambush Alley. I've understood it takes the core mechanics of AA and adds all sorts of stuff to build a comprehensive ruleset for all sorts of modern skirmishes. Asymmetrical warfare is still there.

I've played it a couple of times, and it's kind of groggy but not terrible. The reaction-based turn mechanic encourages realistic tactics and it doesn't get bogged in milspergin' about rifle calibers. However, the rulebook is edited like rear end and some of the more specific rules are kind of incomprehensible. The devs also refuse to provide any kind of points system, which means making your own scenarios requires a lot of trial and error to get the challenge right.

Tomorrow's War takes Force on Force and layers a million fiddly sci-fi bits onto it.

Speaking of modern counterinsurgency skirmish games, does anyone know about Skirmish Sangin? I noticed Empress Miniatures picked up the rules for UK distribution.

Edit: I found an example of play. Looks like someone wanted to make a miniatures adaptation of ARMA 3.

This actually looks really cool, I wish I had a group to test it out with.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Crossposting like a boss:

Just painted up some poo poo after a long slump. I haven't painted anything since painting an entire Flames of War Company in a month for a tournament in February, so this is quite an achievement for me.

I've tried out the new Plastic Soldier Company Weathering Sprays, and they're pretty sweet. They produce OK looking results very fast. They're sort of like a spray-on oil wash that you use for shading and/or weathering, taking the excess off with a Q-tip dipped in spirits.

Like I said, they're not competition winners by any means, but considering you can shorten both the shading and highlighting steps of painting your models, they can let you field an army very quickly, with decent results. You can also experiment with some weathering techniques, by leaving some streaks to represent oil stains.

I finished the shading and highlighting steps on 8 Sherman tanks and 4 large artillery pieces in about 4 hours today, but I had to finish up 2 of the tanks just to see the final result.

Edit: Ninja mold lines, curse you etc.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I think I might quit playing games against the owner of the LGS here. I have found out that the group of "armies I want to play" and "armies that will kill IS-85s" doesn't overlap. Played a 2v2 2000 points a person fight, bringing my Italians, and I took a platoon of four PaK43s. Of course, half were destroyed before my first turn, and they were effectively knocked out at the cost of only 1 IS-85. My opponents of course had plenty of 'advice', like how I should've taken more artillery or taken larger artillery (I took the biggest gun, and the most I could, still only AT10 in direct fire, 4/4+ in bombardment), or that I should've known the PaK43s would've been an obvious target and not relied on just them to deal with the IS85s. Except they're literally the only thing I can buy for my Italians that can deal with that kind of armor, and if it wasn't for me knowing who I was going to play, I probably would've fielded PaK40s instead, and then I would've been completely useless against them.

I mentioned the imbalance of it, saying maybe I should start playing armies with more effective anti-tank; which he responded with how the game is points based and it should all be even, not understanding that points don't mean poo poo if you can't actually kill anything your opponent fields. He runs Guards IS-85s (no Hen & Chicks) with full God of War (tonight he had a 12 gun battery and another 8 gun battery). So, yeah, fun times just sitting there being useless for a few hours.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Anyone who brings up the points as an irrefutable tool for balancing clearly hasn't played Late-War SS Tigers. In any case, 130 points per IS-85 is pretty drat cheap considering it's good stats, I'm not surprised he's beating you. I wouldn't really bother playing against him because it's not actually fun. The artillery wouldn't help either, almost insult to injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Leo Showers posted:

Anyone who brings up the points as an irrefutable tool for balancing clearly hasn't played Late-War SS Tigers. In any case, 130 points per IS-85 is pretty drat cheap considering it's good stats, I'm not surprised he's beating you. I wouldn't really bother playing against him because it's not actually fun. The artillery wouldn't help either, almost insult to injury.

That's probably the long and short of it. I enjoy my Italians, and I understand their limits. They can be a pretty effective fighting force in the right situation, but fighting IS-85s is not that situation.