Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

mobby_6kl posted:

I get that the Iraqi military is still a mess so "advisors" might be useful. But what was the deal with the requested airstrikes just before? Do they not have a couple of Frogfoots or something to bomb the poo poo out of ISIS ?

Pardon the lateness, but I just fell across this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/world/middleeast/31iraq.html?_r=2&partner=TOPIXNEWS&ei=5099

In short, during 2009 the defense ministry 'discovered' that a bunch of Mig-21/23 were lying around in Serbia. Saddam had them sent there for repairs, but because of subsequent sanctions they could not be returned. Serbia were to repair the aircraft on a "rush basis", but I'd guess we would have heard about them by now had they returned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Getting fooled by an obvious Photoshop eh guys, the pad is curved/bent yet 'sushi' written on it is as straight as can be.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Section 31 posted:

Anyone up for holiday vacation at Mosul?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWKCpBX_DXA

I like how this was re-uploaded and labeled as if the people are a couple just deciding to vacation in Iraq. I believe this was already posted and I'm pretty sure they are reporters being turned away from entering the city for their own good by Peshmerga. Wonder why they cut the part at the end where the woman makes a joke about the driver having a new boyfriend?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Getting fooled by an obvious Photoshop eh guys, the pad is curved/bent yet 'sushi' written on it is as straight as can be.

The text is also perfectly lettered, but probably couldn't be printed since everyone is holding ring bound pads.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tias posted:

Pardon the lateness, but I just fell across this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/world/middleeast/31iraq.html?_r=2&partner=TOPIXNEWS&ei=5099

In short, during 2009 the defense ministry 'discovered' that a bunch of Mig-21/23 were lying around in Serbia. Saddam had them sent there for repairs, but because of subsequent sanctions they could not be returned. Serbia were to repair the aircraft on a "rush basis", but I'd guess we would have heard about them by now had they returned?

That's interesting, it does look like the Mig are probably still parked on cinder blocks somewhere in Serbia. I looked around and it seems they're supposed to be getting a few F-16 by the end of the year, which should work pretty well for tasks like this:
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/iraq-seeks-f-16-fighters-05057/

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
A poster a ways back suggested Russia would make sense for involvement in Iraq. Apparently Putin agrees.

quote:

Putin confirmed Russia’s “full support for the Iraqi government’s action to quickly free the territory of the republic from terrorists,” the Kremlin said, adding that Putin and al-Maliki also discussed bilateral cooperation.

Putin’s expression of support for the embattled Iraqi prime minister comes as al-Maliki’s rivals have mounted a campaign to force him out of office, with some angling for support from Western backers and regional heavyweights.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Rip Testes posted:

A poster a ways back suggested Russia would make sense for involvement in Iraq. Apparently Putin agrees.

So on top of this we have Iran offering local assistance to stabilize the situation the US destabilized, and Russia offering foreign power projection in Syria and Iraq to cool things down for good.

I'm not even mad anymore. 10/10, funniest loving war in American history.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

So on top of this we have Iran offering local assistance to stabilize the situation the US destabilized, and Russia offering foreign power projection in Syria and Iraq to cool things down for good.

I'm not even mad anymore. 10/10, funniest loving war in American history.

I wouldn't go that far since the Pig War is a thing, but it does come close.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Can anyone offer some of the mental gymnastics that'll be performed when Gulf War II is described as anything other than a crushing strategic defeat on all fronts?

Like, sure, for better or worse bailing on stated objectives and abdicating the field has become America's foreign policy wheelhouse, but after a certain point even the country that brought you Vietnam revisionism where the hippies and gutless congress were the ones who lost it for us has to admit we hosed the dog harder than it has ever been hosed since maybe Fredricksburg.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Willie Tomg posted:

Can anyone offer some of the mental gymnastics that'll be performed when Gulf War II is described as anything other than a crushing strategic defeat on all fronts?

Like, sure, for better or worse bailing on stated objectives and abdicating the field has become America's foreign policy wheelhouse, but after a certain point even the country that brought you Vietnam revisionism where the hippies and gutless congress were the ones who lost it for us has to admit we hosed the dog harder than it has ever been hosed since maybe Fredricksburg.

At a guess? The usual suspects will focus on how quickly the Mighty US-Led Coalition of the Willing toppled Saddam's regime (simultaneously puffing it up into something like a credible threat rather than a ramshackle mess), with a fair amount of time spent on just how evil a dictator he was (with not a word said about the WMDs we supposedly were so sure about) and how he clearly was in league with The TerroristsTM. Obama will, of course, be slandered as the Hanoi Jane of the piece who stabbed out brave boys in the back just as they were winning.

Meanwhile, historians like me will be drinking (more) heavily, and complaining loudly to rooms of feckless undergrads who don't give a poo poo.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Willie Tomg posted:

It's no wonder that the Pentagon doesn't learn from their mistakes, they refuse to admit they've ever failed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Look forward to future historians chastising the US for not "finishing the job" during Desert Storm when they talk about the failures of the 2000s Iraq War.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Willie Tomg posted:

Bodycount, probably.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The-Mole posted:

Bodycount, probably.

Not to mention how we continued to rack up the body count even after we pulled out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How many Al-Qaeda are there in the US? Checkmate bitches :fsmug:

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Willie Tomg posted:

Hey now. We make better prosthetic limbs than anybody on the loving planet, and it wouldn't have been that way if we hadn't had so many of our bravest get their arms and legs blown off for nothing at all.

Oh yeah, we got a ton of new science about traumatic brain injuries, PTSD, etc.

Finding something positive out of The Iraq Catastrofuck would be like finding a piece of an old, somewhat-interesting souvenir in the wreckage of your burned-out home. "Oh. Look at that. An old Mickey Mouse ear. Welp, guess I'll go back to surveying the total devastation in horrified silence."

Has there been a worse overt foreign policy decision in U.S. history than the one to invade Iraq?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

JonathonSpectre posted:

Hey now. We make better prosthetic limbs than anybody on the loving planet, and it wouldn't have been that way if we hadn't had so many of our bravest get their arms and legs blown off for nothing at all.

Finding something positive out of The Iraq Catastrofuck would be like finding a piece of an old, somewhat-interesting souvenir in the wreckage of your burned-out home. "Oh. Look at that. An old Mickey Mouse ear. Welp, guess I'll go back to surveying the total devastation in horrified silence."

Has there been a worse overt foreign policy decision in U.S. history than the one to invade Iraq?

Vietnam, arguably, at least if you include what went down in Laos and Cambodia during/after US involvement.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mobby_6kl posted:

How many Al-Qaeda are there in the US? Checkmate bitches :fsmug:

One got elected President. :colbert:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

One got elected President. :colbert:

The Kenyan Candidate.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Iraq has apparently run out of Hellfire missiles.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/iraqi-military-hellfires-battle-isis/story?id=24248493

quote:

The Iraqi military ran out of Hellfire missiles six days ago, and though the U.S. is rushing more missiles into the country, Iraq has only two modified Cessna aircraft to launch them in their battle against the radical Islamic militia ISIS.

ISIS has captured 28 tanks and shot down three helicopters, a significant percentage of the government force, and the militia killed an entire Iraqi Security Force brigade in the last couple of days at the border with Syria, which ISIS now controls.

The losses have left the Iraqi military with no offensive capability, and no real air force.

I'm guessing at this point that the Iraqi plan hinges on ISIS ultimately being unable to actually hold anything and melting away back into the West after a period of time. Either way, they're in a rough place right now.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Don't tell me for a second you aren't loving the image of a Cessna packing a rack of hellfires.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Maybe the Iraqi government thinks the Futurama Killbot kill limit is real and ISIS has it?

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Iraq 2 won't be considered a failure if the US gets concessions from the Iraqi government that it wants. The most obvious one would be a military base with permanent American/NATO presence. The location is perfect: right next to Iran, close to its ally Israel and another "ally" Saudi Arabia. What Americans are doing right now is not incompetence, they are waiting for poo poo to get Real Bad in Iraq and for Maliki to throw his hands in the air and give them what they want. Alternatively, Maliki can be forced out through external and internal pressure and replaced with a more pro-American figure who would give the US what they want.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Pycckuu posted:

Iraq 2 won't be considered a failure if the US gets concessions from the Iraqi government that it wants. The most obvious one would be a military base with permanent American/NATO presence. The location is perfect: right next to Iran, close to its ally Israel and another "ally" Saudi Arabia. What Americans are doing right now is not incompetence, they are waiting for poo poo to get Real Bad in Iraq and for Maliki to throw his hands in the air and give them what they want. Alternatively, Maliki can be forced out through external and internal pressure and replaced with a more pro-American figure who would give the US what they want.

Wait by Iraq 2 do you mean the current crisis? Because we're on Iraq 3 now, even with all that stuff Iraq 2 is still a failure

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

illrepute posted:

Don't tell me for a second you aren't loving the image of a Cessna packing a rack of hellfires.

I am almost certain some lunatic has modded one into Arma at this point.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I haven't really been keeping up with the Iraq mess, anyone mind doing a quick summary about what the hell is going on?

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

illrepute posted:

Only one per wing, actually.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

James The 1st posted:

I haven't really been keeping up with the Iraq mess, anyone mind doing a quick summary about what the hell is going on?

God is real, and he hates us.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

J33uk posted:

Iraq has apparently run out of Hellfire missiles.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/iraqi-military-hellfires-battle-isis/story?id=24248493

ISIS has captured 28 tanks and shot down three helicopters, a significant percentage of the government force, and the militia killed an entire Iraqi Security Force brigade in the last couple of days at the border with Syria, which ISIS now controls.

Holy crap. I had to look it up but Wikipedia says a brigade is 3,000-5,000 soldiers...

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

James The 1st posted:

Death is certain.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does ISIS even stand a chance with the US getting involved? I can't see them winning when the US, Iran, Turkey, SA, Russia are against them...

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Zeno-25 posted:

Holy crap. I had to look it up but Wikipedia says a brigade is 3,000-5,000 soldiers...

In the Middle East, it's quite common to use the word "brigade" to describe company-sized units.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ThirdPartyView posted:

Maybe the Iraqi government thinks the Futurama Killbot kill limit is real and ISIS has it?

That's not a joking matter in Iraq, considering Iran's tactic thirty years ago of attacking with so many child soldiers that it demoralized the Iraqi army to shoot them all.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

Does ISIS even stand a chance with the US getting involved? I can't see them winning when the US, Iran, Turkey, SA, Russia are against them...

Depends on just how involved those nations are willing to get. ISIS sure as hell isn't going to reform the Caliphate, but there's not really any reason that they couldn't hold a substantial part of the country for an extended period.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

James The 1st posted:

Imagine two sects on the edge of a cliff. Iraq works the same way.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Zeno-25 posted:

Yeah, don't take that too literally. Between sloppy translation and the lack of uniformity in organization from one military to the next (especially in developing countries) that could be almost any size of unit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

James The 1st posted:

Americans invade Iraq, destabilize middle east
Arab Spring leads to Syrian Civil war
Syrian civil war is joined by Iraqi fighters, coalescing under the ISIS banner.
ISIS fighters carve out a base of operations in Euphrates headwaters
ISIS fighters carry out a lightning advance through the Euphrates river valley
Government forces retreat to Baghdad and Shite majority provinces to the south
Kurds expand their borders to incorporate traditionally kurdish cities

list not comprehensive.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

James The 1st posted:

So it kinda start in Syria, where a bunch of the more radical fighters, esp. the foreigners, who'd been shooting at 'Mericans in Iraq went to join the party forming ISIS (Islamic State of Iraq and Syria/the Levant (depends on how you interpret the Arabic)). After getting some more blooding and weaponry in Syria they poked back over to Iraq where, possibly aided by pre-planned defections/desertions and certainly aided by a long simmering but underreported turf war, the suddenly launched a lighting takeover of areas outside the traditionally Sunni strongholds. Fallujah, for instance, had been out of the government's hand for a long time but the media didn't real freak because it's Fallujah so of course it's a mess.

Anyway, basically the Shia govt. were dicks to the Sunni's who happened to have a bunch of nutjob extremists on tap, now nutjob extremists are shuttling arms/supplies/fighters between Syria and Iraq at will and the Iraqi army has hit a sort of terminal tailspin. Losses, esp. ones that involve routs and desertions, have a way of compounding. Various forces- American airpower, American spec ops, Iranian spec ops, and Shia deathsquads militias - are being deployed by various folks in hopes of 'stiffening the backbone' of the Iraqi army and letting them fight without getting too deeply stuck in the infamous quagmire.

Meanwhile the Iraqi Kurds are basically saying "gently caress it" and moving even further towards true autonomy.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

JonathonSpectre posted:

Did save Gabby Gifford's life. It's not worth the pain and suffering otherwise, but the improved responses from the Boston Bombing are pretty much entirely due to Iraq as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

That's not a joking matter in Iraq, considering Iran's tactic thirty years ago of attacking with so many child soldiers that it demoralized the Iraqi army to shoot them all.

Pretty sure this is apocryphal? They may have taken huge casualties during their attacks, but the notion that they used child soldiers as living shields or whatever is mostly propaganda trying to play up the brutality of the Iranian regime. (Which is pretty brutal, to be sure.)

• Locked thread