Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Cicadas! posted:

Look how happy he is to be demonstrating this awesome mod :3:. Can it suck other things toward you too, like items or enemies, or is it just for hoovering up liquids?

Just liquids! Mechanically what its doing is emitting a liquid of type 0, which is overwriting/deleting other liquids. It just LOOKS like its vacuuming, alas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Is "Type 0" breathable air? Could this gun be used to fill an Asteroid Base with Oxygen?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

dog kisser posted:

Just liquids! Mechanically what its doing is emitting a liquid of type 0, which is overwriting/deleting other liquids. It just LOOKS like its vacuuming, alas!

Type 0, huh? Is it actually a persistent liquid, or is Type 0 just the game's way of saying "air"?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's probably just a boolean-type value for "liquid/not liquid". It's not that it's air, and it's not that it's liquid, it's literally nothing.

Could be wrong though.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Devour or Fire posted:

Who was Omni messing with when he melted down and banned a bunch of people in the steam community, then deflated by undoing all the bans and then banning himself because he couldn't figure out how to remove his mod powers.

tbh this was fail, yea

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Tooling around a bit while waiting for the next big patch. As far as I know, there's not yet a way to change your planetary spawn point. So are there any updated goon coordinate lists anywhere? Been trying to find a planet like my old one in the beta sector that basically spawned me right next to a sprawling Aven town.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There isn't even a way to change your beam-down point. Which is something I really want.

e: oh wait that's what you meant. NEVERMIND.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

There isn't even a way to change your beam-down point. Which is something I really want.

e: oh wait that's what you meant. NEVERMIND.

You can change your beam down point vertically, but not horizontally (by building on the beam down point)
On my home planet I made the beam down point high in the sky, in a damaged ship crashed into an asteroid. It has skyrails going all around the planet (at high altitude) and skyrails heading down towards the planet surface.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any sort of comprehensive modding documentation around? I can't seem to find any.

dromer fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's been a while...mods still just unzipped into the steamapps/common/Starbound/mods folder, right?

Is there an up-to-date list of "must have" mods? Apart from the buckets mod, of course.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
A few pages back I linked a big modpack, check the spoilertext

And yeah, thats all you have to do!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Jackard posted:

All this time Chucklefish has been sitting on an untapped and unending font of tears.

Of course it's an anime avatar

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

dromer posted:

Is there any sort of comprehensive modding documentation around? I can't seem to find any.

Yes there is! The starbounder wiki has a HUGE section on modding which is really nice, and there's the documentation Omni posted up on the official forums.

Check the modding section of the official forums, starbounder, and http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#%23starbound-modding

I'll help you however I can if I'm in the channel

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Cernunnos posted:

Is "Type 0" breathable air? Could this gun be used to fill an Asteroid Base with Oxygen?

There's actually mods that do that!

There's the poorly implemented ones (Swimming in thin air!)

The kinda really gross ones (Remember the movie The Abyss? This is that stuff)

There's also a mod that just completely sidesteps the liquid problem altogether (It makes USCM bunker vents actually produce breathable air)

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Devour or Fire posted:

Who was Omni messing with when he melted down and banned a bunch of people in the steam community, then deflated by undoing all the bans and then banning himself because he couldn't figure out how to remove his mod powers.

Omni wound himself up by reading the steam forums (why would you ever do this) and had a moment of madness. I'd probably do the same if I got caught in a cycle of reading dumb posts like yours all day.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

dog kisser posted:

Make it suck up ghosts.

Hey has anyone here unpacked the nightlies? Im in work and I wanted to mess with some of the raw ai portraits and forgot to get em. ..

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I haven't checked in this thread since December. What's been the latest big addition/ shitstorm to hit the game now?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

RareAcumen posted:

I haven't checked in this thread since December. What's been the latest big addition/ shitstorm to hit the game now?

Horsetits.

(We are rooting for the horsetits)

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Bit late, but joining in on the entire 'you guys are all pretty cool and made a cool game' thing we had going on.

Looking forward to the tears if you guys do get round to purging those creepers you collected over on your forums.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Same here. You've already made a cool game, and you aren't even near done! I really look forward to see what your vision will become in the release. (And to seeing it grow before that.) Keep doing the good work.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

:toot: It works!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
I was complaining a few weeks back about the lack of progress so far as end game content was concerned.

After seeing the subreddit and twitter posts you have to deal with, I can only assume you're busy training and raising money to hire people to murder everyone on the internet.

Your game is awesome, you're awesome and the only reason I complained at all is just because the game is so cool that I want more. You own, sorry for the shitheaps of humanity you have to deal with. How the gently caress are people so goddamn terrible?!

Also: are there any goon servers that are organized? It'd be awesome to do poo poo with goons.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Thats great, I liked how Terraria had random underground hazards that would gently caress you up, and Starbound was really missing them.

quote:

Also: are there any goon servers that are organized? It'd be awesome to do poo poo with goons.

There is a vanilla (no mod) server at starbound.spacemonkey.org http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594524&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
homeworld is Alpha 16,9, large forest planet with a desert moon.

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 21, 2014

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Thats great, I liked how Terraria had random underground hazards that would gently caress you up, and Starbound was really missing them.

There is a vanilla (no mod) server at starbound.spacemonkey.org http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3594524&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
homeworld is Alpha 16,9, large forest planet with a desert moon.

Thanks dude. Is there a mumble?

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

tehinternet posted:

Thanks dude. Is there a mumble?

Mumble info is in the OP of the thread Lobsterpillar linked.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Lookin good!

DayGloOreo
May 2, 2012

Fblthp had always hated crowds.

It probably shouldn't at this point, but it continues to amaze me how angry some people are getting over the horsetits thing.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I wonder which makes the Starbound team feel better: a parade of goon well-wishers, or selling 1 million + copies of your indie studio's first (early alpha) game?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Changing the way these status pods work. The white ones will be positive always. These, on the other hand, will have either a great reward or a terrible surprise.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My biggest problem with those was that the "rewards" were always terrible. Even if they had a great buff inside, they were basically never placed in an area where you could make use of it. It would have to be like, right outside a dungeon. Buffs from a randomly placed object are not really that useful, either in concept or in practice.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

My biggest problem with those was that the "rewards" were always terrible. Even if they had a great buff inside, they were basically never placed in an area where you could make use of it. It would have to be like, right outside a dungeon. Buffs from a randomly placed object are not really that useful, either in concept or in practice.

They have one of six effects, chosen randomly - burning explosion, poisonous gas, heal, run speed buff, glowing buff, or a jump height buff

Not really worth possibly dieing or using healing consumables to get those buffs. Maybe I should tweak the duration on the buffs to be longer, and reduce the effect some in return? They seem to last a little short.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Making the effect last a long rear end time might help some at least. Or maybe have something really good be a very rare possibility, like giving you a random tech. Hell, getting techs out of those things would make a little more sense than getting them out of chests anyway.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
A chance to spawn one of those large 'boss' mobs would be a more fun or at least interactive negative/positive effect.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Still have a lot of work to do. Tomorrow. When I don't have this migraine :(

e: added a delay to the explosion

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 22, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That explosion looks super familiar. Is that the Ultima VII cannon-ball explosion? :eyepop:

If so, "Haha holy poo poo."

If not, "Haha holy poo poo, I'm bad at explosions."

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Party Alarm posted:

e: added a delay to the explosion
Reminds me of

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Is there a place I can see what's planned in the near future so I don't ask the same question everyone asks elsewhere?

What's the timetable for adding lore? Whoever has come up with it so far has done really well. It seems to be a pretty interesting universe you're building and I'd like to see more.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Dandywalken posted:

That explosion looks super familiar. Is that the Ultima VII cannon-ball explosion? :eyepop:

I recognise it from the game Total Annihilation. Maybe its a stock explosion animation, or has just been used by a lot of places?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Classic X-Com Skull explosion pretty please you magical people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

http://spritedatabase.net/file/218

Might try to find some different explosions as they don't seem to fit that well with the default Starbound stuff

• Locked thread