Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ConfusedUs posted:

Goddamnit am I going to have to buy the most recent Iron Druid book? I felt #6 was getting better after the awfulness that was #4 and #5, but not good enough to buy another.
I got it as a sort of "last chance" book and have basically concluded that I stand by my remark in one of the earlier Dresden threads that the Iron Druid series would be so much better if it wasn't about the Iron Druid. Literally everything else about the world it takes place in is more interesting than the main character.

The Archdruid's side-story in this book? Good stuff. Granuaile? Still good stuff.

Oberon and Atticus both need to die, though. I'm literally skimming over anything Oberon ever says at this point because it detracts so hard from everything else going on in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
You just need to accept that Oberon is the main protagonist, and the real plot is his quest for sausages. Everything else (fae, vampires, gods etc) is just background fluff.

I just finished Shattered (book 7), and it is a little bit better than the previous books. Still way too much Oberon/sausage-talk, despite the fact that he isn't even around for most of the book. The arch-druid was an interesting character and POV, though he did perhaps adapt to modern life a bit too easily.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

New question for the thread: Do the Ghostbusters count as urban fantasy?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

-Fish- posted:

Good Question, I vote yes.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Wouldn't Ghostbusters just be general paranormal fiction?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Religious nonfiction.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

-Fish- posted:

Ghostbusters is sci-fi.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

-Fish- posted:

Documentary.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

g0del posted:

Documentary.

Just like The Highlander. And the events happened in real time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ghostbusters is sci-fi.

if it was set 400 years earlier but with the same premise it wouldn't be.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

computer parts posted:

if it was set 400 years earlier but with the same premise it wouldn't be.

But it's set in the present and ultimately, they're scientists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEbSABWJiJc

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
I've been in a kinda depressed funk for a long time and I'm so glad I came across this series. I just powered through Storm Front and Fool Moon and loved them both so I grabbed Grave Peril and Summer Knight already and I'll probably finish them within a couple days. I really haven't had this much fun devouring books since I was a kid, I missed out on the Harry Potter craze entirely so I'm glad there's another book out there with wizards and stuff to kinda make up for that.

I love the action so far and the characters are very endearing also, I'm looking forward to Harry brewing more crazy potions with Bob!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

frogg posted:

I love the action so far and the characters are very endearing also, I'm looking forward to Harry brewing more crazy potions with Bob!

Sadly, I should warn you, the potion stuff pretty much vanishes after the first coupla books.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ImpAtom posted:

Sadly, I should warn you, the potion stuff pretty much vanishes after the first coupla books.

Well there is a little bit in Changes.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
And a little more in Skin Game.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

It's funny how (spoilers for the new guy don't click this!) a bunch of wizards carry around a Batman Utility Belt with potions except for Harry. I think, Merlin and Elaine have a bunch of potions always ready? Harry being prepared is never a thing and it is great.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

It's funny how (spoilers for the new guy don't click this!) a bunch of wizards carry around a Batman Utility Belt with potions except for Harry. I think, Merlin and Elaine have a bunch of potions always ready? Harry being prepared is never a thing and it is great.

Oh I don't know, he starts learning starting in Turn Coat.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

frogg posted:

I love the action so far and the characters are very endearing also.

And those are the weak ones where Butcher is still finding his feet and figuring stuff out. Enjoy the ride, it only gets better from here. I wish I could have read the books in order, but this friend of mine was all READ HARRY DRESDEN NOW so I ended up reading Small Favor first because it was the first one I could get my hands on.

This made it extra hilarious when I went back and started going through all the earlier ones and realized Nicodemus got strangled with his noose, TWICE! When Harry did it in Death Masks, I did a double take and basically went "And you didn't consider he'd do this a SECOND time?" At least Butcher was smart enough to not have it happen in Skin Game, but it would not surprise me if, with how mad Harry's made Nicodemus, it happens AGAIN in Book 20, possibly for the last time.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

apostateCourier posted:

Oh I don't know, he starts learning starting in Turn Coat.

Yeah, he really starts planning in White Knight. It's quite satisfying to see him change from always reacting to also having his own viable plans

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Wade Wilson posted:

Oberon and Atticus both need to die, though. I'm literally skimming over anything Oberon ever says at this point because it detracts so hard from everything else going on in the book.

My sentiments exactly. Every time Oberon says something I catch myself wincing. Whoever told the author their banter was funny should be shot.

I'm 700+ posts behind, but I just finished reading (and re-reading some parts) of Skin Game. I'm assuming that...

the cranky inmate Dresden talks to is Merlin? Old, British, doesn't make any evil offers or threats, says he needs to be there as opposed to deserves to be there.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Dienes posted:

My sentiments exactly. Every time Oberon says something I catch myself wincing. Whoever told the author their banter was funny should be shot.

I'm 700+ posts behind, but I just finished reading (and re-reading some parts) of Skin Game. I'm assuming that...

the cranky inmate Dresden talks to is Merlin? Old, British, doesn't make any evil offers or threats, says he needs to be there as opposed to deserves to be there.

That was my thought too, but a goon earlier had another intriguing idea I like more, that it was King Arthur.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Illuyankas posted:

That was my thought too, but a goon earlier had another intriguing idea I like more, that it was King Arthur.

I like the idea that it is both of your guesses.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

platero posted:

I like the idea that it is both of your guesses.

I don't know if you intended it but the idea of Arthur and Merlin being one figure split into two by myth and legend led me to imagine Harry being a descendant of this King Merlin and therefore getting to wield a Sword - given some personality changes or dire circumstances, aka the thrillogy at the end which might be a bit too crazy.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
If Dresden doesn't end up at the Chicago Star Wars museum in the next few books I'll be very disappointed.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
I just binged through the first two Iron Druid books during night shifts, and I actually enjoy them a lot so far. I even think Oberon has his momentst. Stick it to the Man!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

I just binged through the first two Iron Druid books during night shifts, and I actually enjoy them a lot so far. I even think Oberon has his momentst. Stick it to the Man!

I think the general consensus is to stop there.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I just finished Skin games and holy cow... Dresden files is my favourite series and Dresden has character development. I really don't see Dresden from book #1 being able to pull off what he does in this book.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

The premise is fine but unlike the Dresden Files, the author never improves and retreads the same kind of humor too much. Around book 4 I decided the series just isn't going anywhere.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

TenaciousJ posted:

The premise is fine but unlike the Dresden Files, the author never improves and retreads the same kind of humor too much. Around book 4 I decided the series just isn't going anywhere.

Was that the book he skipped forward 10 years just to avoid the sidekick's training without so much as a montage?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

OptimusWang posted:

Was that the book he skipped forward 10 years just to avoid the sidekick's training without so much as a montage?

Has to be the fifth, I just finished the fourth and it was the one about Coyote and the skinwalkers.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Has to be the fifth, I just finished the fourth and it was the one about Coyote and the skinwalkers.

Welp, guess I should have spoilered that :v: Sorry dude.

Back to the point, it really does show the difference between the two authors. We very much see Molly go from Warlock to Apprentice to Warlock again to the Winter Lady, where Graniule (however you spell it) goes from barely an Apprentice to a full Druid with 10 years of practice between books.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I just realized that Binder refused Lasciel/Hannah as well! Maybe Lasciel is losing her touch?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Exmond posted:

I just realized that Binder refused Lasciel/Hannah as well! Maybe Lasciel is losing her touch?

I just assumed she lied :v:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

OptimusWang posted:

Since we already had a giant blowout about sexism in Skin Game, is it so unforgivable that a character turned down a proposition? Binder may come off as a poster child for MRAs, but does he have any standing obligation to doink anything that offers?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's just kind of strange that a notable seductress has yet to actually succeed at seducing someone.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

OptimusWang posted:

And now i feel dumb because that makes sense...

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Wasn't her getting a coin a more recent development than her joining Binder? That is, she didn't have Lasciel with her when she approached Binder, and after getting the coin, she had more important things to work on? Also Binder isn't a total idiot.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I actually think Binder's answer makes perfect sense. See also his response to Madeline in TC

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Whoever voices the Even Hand audiobook does a terrible Gard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

TenaciousJ posted:

I actually just finished Shattered, #7 for Iron Druid, and although it pains me to admit it.. The book was fairly enjoyable.

I mean, the nerd references were still there, but they were less painful/slightly better integrated. And adding some new POV stuff helps smooth out the problems of "super awesome pop culture druid". Really, the biggest problem- Oberon- will never go away, and while I chuckled at him a bit in the first two books, at this point I find myself groaning when he pops up now.

But, that being said, the book was fairly enjoyable. I'll never hold it to the same standard as Dresden, obviously, but.. Yeah, I enjoyed it.