Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sereri posted:

Clear the app data.

That might fix the logging in issue, does nothing for the loading failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

wormil posted:

I can confirm that this is happening. I have an S3 running kitkat and the play store app and loading failures are happening even after clearing app data. It seems worse on 4g instead of wifi but it is hard to tell.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

wormil posted:

Having this issue too. And yes, I cleared the appdata.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

bradzilla posted:

Having this issue too. And yes, I cleared the appdata.

Yeah same issue after clearing app data. Started during the forums going down. It will eventually load after 4-10 tries though

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Another with the Loading Failed issue. Stock Nexus with 4.2. Nothing I do seems to really help.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Dudes, the forums are loading really slowly or not at all on normal browsers. You're going to see a lot of loading failed errors.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
The two Android apps can't see notifications like this (use a regular wen browser) and unless you read GBS you probably missed this announcement/apology. The forums are having issues right now that are unrelated to any of the mobile apps.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Heresiarch posted:

The two Android apps can't see notifications like this (use a regular wen browser) and unless you read GBS you probably missed this announcement/apology. The forums are having issues right now that are unrelated to any of the mobile apps.

poo poo. Do I need to give SA more money or something? I probably should...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Threads from the GBS thread (yes, it still exists, apparently I need to get my nose out of my bookmarks screen from time to time)

The "it's fixed" thread/post
http://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

The Lowtax "i'm sorry the forums suck and the database is awful" thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643609

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Well, the app feels super fast now, so that's a plus.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yep, very zippy now.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I must be missing something really basic because I can't figure out how to post new threads. Just got a new tablet and installed the app. I can reply to threads just fine, but can't find the post button to make new threads.

People need to read my threads. I have lots of important things to say.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I must be missing something really basic because I can't figure out how to post new threads. Just got a new tablet and installed the app. I can reply to threads just fine, but can't find the post button to make new threads.

People need to read my threads. I have lots of important things to say.

You can't post threads from this app. Try the browser instead. (It's been decided it's too much of a liability/not really needed.)

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

hooah posted:

You can't post threads from this app. Try the browser instead. (It's been decided it's too much of a liability/not really needed.)

It's been decided that it's low on the priority list and there isn't much development going on with the app these days.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Post from iPhone and reply on android tablet. It's like the ultimate First World Problem.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

Allow the app to post threads, but force the attention/hot/banme thread tags.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Making new threads is not that hard to implement. The biggest issue, at least for me, was coming up with the design to get all the poo poo needed to make a new thread in the view. And even after doing it, it still looks pretty crappy. I don't even know how many people have even made new threads from their phones and tablets. I can't see it being that many apart from my test threads.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

So the forums have been lovely lately, and while most of the problems have gone away, it's still slow sometimes. (like right now)

This makes awful very frustrating to use, practically unusable. While it's not really the fault of the app, I think it could be made to work better.

Maybe you could up some of the timeout values or something? It loads on a browser but not in the app because the timeout in the app is wayy lower I think.

So, please make the timeouts longer so the app becomes useable again with the current state of the forums. Thanks.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Maybe you could up some of the timeout values or something? It loads on a browser but not in the app because the timeout in the app is wayy lower I think.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. The app gives up after a few seconds, whereas the browser'll keep trying for long enough that it'll load.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, I've noticed this too. The app gives up after a few seconds, whereas the browser'll keep trying for long enough that it'll load.

I've switched to something.apk, I prefer the interface of awful but something just loads the pages instead of timing out after 7 seconds or so. This means that when the forums are slow you have to wait a while, but you're not stuck having to hit refresh again and again hoping the server reply falls within that magic 7 second window.

So in short: it can be done, something.apk does it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

spankmeister posted:

I've switched to something.apk, I prefer the interface of awful but something just loads the pages instead of timing out after 7 seconds or so. This means that when the forums are slow you have to wait a while, but you're not stuck having to hit refresh again and again hoping the server reply falls within that magic 7 second window.

How do you get something.apk and install it? I use this app so often, having to reload every few seconds and pray is killing me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

A Strange Aeon posted:

How do you get something.apk and install it? I use this app so often, having to reload every few seconds and pray is killing me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.fastfourier.something

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, the Awful apps frequent timeouts after the forums issues finally got me to switch to something.apk

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I think the app is broken guys, I haven't been able to access the forums at all since Monday.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This is what happens when you enable the secret 'post new thread' option. I hope you're happy!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The forums are back, but Awful app won't log me in, keeps saying login failed, even after clearing app data.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

The forums are back, but Awful app won't log me in, keeps saying login failed, even after clearing app data.

That's a problem with the forums, not the app :ssh:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jose Valasquez posted:

This looks like a good thread title to me

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Ahh, yes, so it is. Glad I'm cookied on my main browsers/devices.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

I've got gifs disabled to save battery life. Which is a nice feature. But it also disables the gif smilies. In particular, it's hard to tell the difference between :getin: and :frogout:, which tend to get used a lot on somewhat similar contexts.

Maybe the smilies could load on their last frame or a middle frame, if excluding them forum the no gifs is too much.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Drastic Actions posted:

Making new threads is not that hard to implement. The biggest issue, at least for me, was coming up with the design to get all the poo poo needed to make a new thread in the view. And even after doing it, it still looks pretty crappy. I don't even know how many people have even made new threads from their phones and tablets. I can't see it being that many apart from my test threads.
To be honest, if I'd start implementing that (hint: I'm not) I would probably Samsung the iOS guys' version.
This is the part where I mention again how this is an open source app and no one has yet cared enough about posting threads to implement it.

spankmeister posted:

You're right, I even asked Geekner SD Gaze a couple of months ago about it and got an answer, was just to busy and :effort: to implement it. I've pushed a new beta with that in it and a couple more things.

Speleothing posted:

I've got gifs disabled to save battery life. Which is a nice feature. But it also disables the gif smilies. In particular, it's hard to tell the difference between :getin: and :frogout:, which tend to get used a lot on somewhat similar contexts.

Maybe the smilies could load on their last frame or a middle frame, if excluding them forum the no gifs is too much.

It's been a while since I implemented that but if I remember right you can only freeze it at the first frame. Or whenever the browser feels like while loading. It's one of those I forgot which. Point is, I can't tell it what frame to get; even if it would be different for all gifs.

Smilies also work like all gifs and will murder your battery life just as badly as the big gifs, harder probably because they're on every loving page.

Anyway, new beta is incoming with improved (read hack-ish) login-state handling. Should handle password changes and the sort better.
Longer timeout for loading, so should result in better loading on bad connections. Should.
And I merged in that last possible black box fix because why not.
Also other things I probably forgot.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sereri posted:

It's been a while since I implemented that but if I remember right you can only freeze it at the first frame. Or whenever the browser feels like while loading. It's one of those I forgot which.

I think it's when it feels like it, because whenever I see Suspicious Dish's avatar it's always a different character. On the plus side, it means every emote is recognisable sometime!

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Sereri posted:

It's been a while since I implemented that but if I remember right you can only freeze it at the first frame. Or whenever the browser feels like while loading. It's one of those I forgot which. Point is, I can't tell it what frame to get; even if it would be different for all gifs.

Smilies also work like all gifs and will murder your battery life just as badly as the big gifs, harder probably because they're on every loving page.

To add to this: Emotes are some of the worst gifs. A few of them use very short delays that force the system to refresh at the highest rate. :siren: for example relies on the system-minimum delay. Slow-action gifs (>500ms delays) are actually pretty soft on battery, but we can't really tell how a gif will act without intercepting them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Any idea why avatars/emotes don't load on 3G? They load fine on WiFi. Externally hosted pictures also load fine.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Any idea why avatars/emotes don't load on 3G? They load fine on WiFi. Externally hosted pictures also load fine.

there's a checkbox for disabling loading of images on wifi only in the settings, is that enabled?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Quantum of Phallus posted:

spankmeister posted:

there's a checkbox for disabling loading of images on wifi only in the settings, is that enabled?

This. If not, try clearing the app cache (not data).

Or maybe you got an adblock running that's misbehaving.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

It's probably been suggested already, but I'd really appreciate a "disable gifs only on mobile data" suboption.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I think the gif issue is mostly about battery life, not data usage (I wouldn't be surprised if the whole gif downloaded regardless). Still, when on Wifi you're also more likely to be able to recharge your phone, so it might be useful for some.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
While you do use data to download the page, I would assume it doesn't download the gif until you display the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I skimmed the thread but didn't see it, I'm probably just retarded/bad at reading: is there a way to download specific threads to your device for off-data reading? It'd be really handy for travel or reading megathreads and help save battery/data.

Oh no, idiot question snipe