Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

played 5 minutes of it and had to turn it off. gently caress that noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Super Ultra Dead Rising 3 is amazing, and I've only played one round. Gonna have some time for it this Sunday and Monday so add me for co-op: SA Soul Glo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Laserface posted:

played 5 minutes of it and had to turn it off. gently caress that noise.

You didn't miss much. That's pretty much the whole experience.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Too much BF4, things are less scary when hiding behind a SRAW or looking through a UCAV camera instead of a handheld video camera

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Finally got around to playing Halo Spartan Assault.. now I see why almost no one has mentioned it. It's not bad, but it's not exactly fun either.

If you finished the Halo 4 campaign, it gives you a bunch of bonus items. I used them all up before realizing they were consumable x-time (mostly 1x) use upgrades. Oh well. Now it looks like I can pay $5 to use them again.

VVVV: Was not actually going to spend $5 on it. I hate IAP for poo poo like that; it makes this feel like a terrible iPhone game, but in retrospect my original statement had no note of sarcasm.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 21, 2014

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Saladman posted:

Finally got around to playing Halo Spartan Assault.. now I see why almost no one has mentioned it. It's not bad, but it's not exactly fun either.

If you finished the Halo 4 campaign, it gives you a bunch of bonus items. I used them all up before realizing they were consumable x-time (mostly 1x) use upgrades. Oh well. Now it looks like I can pay $5 to use them again.

Don't waste your money on in-game purchases. You can use your XP to purchase upgrades.

SimpleAnarchy
May 9, 2002

Those are some nice headphones

Does anyone have any experience with this headset? Youtube reviews are generally favorable, except for the fact that it doesn't have reverb (hear your own voice in chat). Not a deal breaker and I do have Best Buy gift cards.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

SimpleAnarchy posted:

Does anyone have any experience with this headset? Youtube reviews are generally favorable, except for the fact that it doesn't have reverb (hear your own voice in chat). Not a deal breaker and I do have Best Buy gift cards.

None of the ones out for the 'bone have it, sadly. It was annoying at first, but you get used to it.

I have XO7's by the way, so not clear on how good these are.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is there a way to just view a list of all games in the store?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

SimpleAnarchy posted:

I bought it when it came out, its great! Sounds good and is very comfortable.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Saladman posted:

Finally got around to playing Halo Spartan Assault.. [... snipped...] IAP makes this feel like a terrible iPhone game.

I didn't realize this was actually launched first for Windows Phone, and probably designed specifically with that in mind. Well it all fits together now, although after beating it I don't see all the hate it got; it was a decent short game (~3-4 hours), maybe a little longer if you use skulls to make the missions not insanely easy. It's probably about $5 worth of game, so its regular $10 price doesn't seem that bad. I like twinstick shooters, as miserable as the controls are. I guess it's the closest we're going to get to Geometry Wars on the Bone.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 21, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\ There's a game released this week called Sixty Second Shooter Prime that might scratch that Geometry Wars itch. It's fivebux, but I haven't tried it.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Saladman posted:

I guess it's the closest we're going to get to Geometry Wars on the Bone.

Sixty Second Shooter has just came out and it looks Geometry Wars as hell.

EDIT: Guess that's what I get for starting a reply and getting distracted!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Awesome, thanks. Hadn't heard of this. Looks like it fixes the only thing about Geometry Wars I didn't like--where the first like 2 minutes of each new play is incredibly boring and you can't skip it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Can anyone recommend a good wireless USB keyboard to hook up to the Xbone? Preferably something that works with the YouTube and Twitch apps.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
For $5, I'm willing to say Sixty Second Shooter is one of the best deals on the XBone. I bought it last night and got addicted after five minutes. It's nice to have a simple twin-stick to jump into for a few minutes when you want to switch gears from whatever else you're playing.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

TheJoker138 posted:

Is there a way to just view a list of all games in the store?

I don't think so. The store is really poorly laid out.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

TheChirurgeon posted:

Can anyone recommend a good wireless USB keyboard to hook up to the Xbone? Preferably something that works with the YouTube and Twitch apps.

I would be interested to know this as well.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Strider is a pretty dang good metroidvania style hack and slash game, definitely worth the $7.49 it's running for in Deals With Gold.

Has anyone played 1001 Spikes? At what price would you say it's worth buying?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

/\/\/\ There's a game released this week called Sixty Second Shooter Prime that might scratch that Geometry Wars itch. It's fivebux, but I haven't tried it.

It looks like the result of a My First Game tutorial.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
I could be wrong but I think just about any keyboard will work. I repurposed this one I already had and it works fine, and its a cheapy.

http://www.amazon.com/BTC-III-Wireless-Keyboard-Integrated/dp/B000R254HA

The arrow keys and letters/numbers work in YouTube and around the xbone home screens. But on that useless letter select screen in Netflix for example, typing does nothing. Just arrow keys, at least on that keyboard. I also recommend one with a less sticky-outy dongle.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

OldPueblo posted:

I could be wrong but I think just about any keyboard will work. I repurposed this one I already had and it works fine, and its a cheapy.

http://www.amazon.com/BTC-III-Wireless-Keyboard-Integrated/dp/B000R254HA

The arrow keys and letters/numbers work in YouTube and around the xbone home screens. But on that useless letter select screen in Netflix for example, typing does nothing. Just arrow keys, at least on that keyboard. I also recommend one with a less sticky-outy dongle.

Thanks for the recommendation. Though that's really what I'm worried about--the primary reason I want a keyboard is to make searching easier in Netflix/YouTube, so if the keyboard can't be used for the search I may as well just not get one.

On that note, I loving _hate_ the implementation for typing search terms in the Xbone YouTube app. It actually got worse from the 360, since now you can't do things like use the Y button to add a space or hold a direction to move quickly over letters. The YouTube app for the Xbox One is goddamn awful, even compared to the 360 app.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Can't you just use your phone?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'll never understand why so many tv things use that single line keyboard from Netflix. Just show me a virtual QWERTY, jerks :argh:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Xbox 360 had a feature where you could set common settings across games (such as look inversion) so you wouldn't have to worry about fiddling with the settings before starting a new game. I really miss this feature on Xbone. Is it maybe hidden away where I missed it or is it really gone? That kinda sucks.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Funkmaster General posted:

Xbox 360 had a feature where you could set common settings across games (such as look inversion) so you wouldn't have to worry about fiddling with the settings before starting a new game. I really miss this feature on Xbone. Is it maybe hidden away where I missed it or is it really gone? That kinda sucks.

No, it's gone. I can't play FPS games on a controller without inverted y-axis. It's as bad as hardcore mouse+keyboard players insist it is otherwise. :(

Typing also sucks on the bone.

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

For those of you complaining about typing, get the Smartglass app for your phone.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

evil spiff posted:

For those of you complaining about typing, get the Smartglass app for your phone.

While this does make typing easier, you shouldn't have to have a completely different device and app for typing not to be a god drat nightmare.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

While this does make typing easier, you shouldn't have to have a completely different device and app for typing not to be a god drat nightmare.

They need to just release a chatpad for the bone. That thing ruled.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They need to just release a chatpad for the bone. That thing ruled.

They could also implement one of the many effective typing interfaces for gamepads in the system itself.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else had trouble selecting things from the dashboard with the A button? The button works fine in games, voice commands select fine, but every now and again I have to rapidly tap the A button to actually select something. A hard reboot typically fixes it, but I'm wondering if it's my controller or something else.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
If you have a tablet, the Smartglass app is especially cool.
I bought a cheap Samsung Galaxy 3.0 7" Android tab from Sprint on a whim and, even though the display is nothing to write home about, it's just very convenient and useful; especially when compared to running the same apps on my HTC EVO 3D phone (which only has a 4.x" screen but is otherwise still very peppy.)

The tablet even has its own IR blaster which I haven't used for anything. It's still nice to know I could use it as a universal remote (even though I already own a Universaltm Remote.)

Smartglass on a tablet is p. sweet.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

evil spiff posted:

It doesn't work for the Youtube app, champ

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

It doesn't work for the Youtube app, champ

If you have it linked to your YouTube app can't you do a weird Apple TV style "open video on app, have it play on Xbone" thing?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TheJoker138 posted:

If you have it linked to your YouTube app can't you do a weird Apple TV style "open video on app, have it play on Xbone" thing?

You can do it with the linked YouTube app on your phone, but with Smartglass all you can get is remote functionality that doesn't really work.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

They could also implement one of the many effective typing interfaces for gamepads in the system itself.

There aren't any! Full QWERTY keyboard onscreen is the best-feeling option, but it's horribly slow. Then you've got Sony's old-school cell phone keyboard, which sucks, and the weird keyboard wheel thing, which also sucks. There's the one-line keyboard the youtube and twitch apps use which manages to somehow be slower than a full keyboard, and... what else? Some kind of Kinect thing? Predictive text or something?

I recognize that not everyone has the same text-entry preferences (some people seem to think swype is a good keyboard), but none of these seem like very good options to me. A full-size USB keyboard is too bulky for general use on a console IMO. The chatpad felt like the best solution to me. Smartglass works alright, too, though.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 23, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There aren't any! Full QWERTY keyboard onscreen is the best-feeling option, but it's horribly slow. Then you've got Sony's old-school cell phone keyboard, which sucks, and the weird keyboard wheel thing, which also sucks. There's the one-line keyboard the youtube and twitch apps use which manages to somehow be slower than a full keyboard, and... what else? Some kind of Kinect thing? Predictive text or something?

I recognize that not everyone has the same text-entry preferences (some people seem to think swype is a good keyboard), but none of these seem like very good options to me. A full-size USB keyboard is too bulky for general use on a console IMO. The chatpad felt like the best solution to me. Smartglass works alright, too, though.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Yeah, that looks really unpleasant to use.

E: To be clear, I think it would be a great thing for there to be alternate options for text entry. It's just that none of the existant standards appeal to me, personally. That's why I'd also like to see a bone chatpad.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 23, 2014

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

I can barely remember combos in Killer Instinct, so I'll pass as well :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hanyolo posted:

I can barely remember combos in Killer Instinct, so I'll pass as well :v:

"Point stick in direction shown on screen" is pretty intensely complicated, I admire your willingness to admit that.

Yeah, that looks really unpleasant to use.

E: To be clear, I think it would be a great thing for there to be alternate options for text entry. It's just that none of the existant standards appeal to me, personally. That's why I'd also like to see a bone chatpad.

Understood, keyboard or nothing. All other methods are equal because they're not keyboards.

• Locked thread