Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Will your save transfer over or is it not worth getting too far in till the actual release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I have been playing Catherine. It's fun. It's not an RPG but I'm not sure where else to say it and this feels like it might be the right crowd.
The bonus stages are killing me, though. I can regularly get to like the last few (nontrivial) steps of the first bonus stage before I die a horrible death.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fronz posted:

I have been playing Catherine. It's fun. It's not an RPG but I'm not sure where else to say it and this feels like it might be the right crowd.
The bonus stages are killing me, though. I can regularly get to like the last few (nontrivial) steps of the first bonus stage before I die a horrible death.

Catherine is a super-fun puzzle game, yeah. I know a lot of people were disappointed that it wasn't Persona 5 but I really liked the weird goofy mechanics. Also the competitive multiplayer mode is hilarious as hell.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Will your save transfer over or is it not worth getting too far in till the actual release?

All reports say no, won't transfer. Reason to get it now is to save some cash though and release is on the 30th. Plus you can familiarize yourself with the system, character upgrades and so on.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

oblomov posted:

All reports say no, won't transfer. Reason to get it now is to save some cash though and release is on the 30th. Plus you can familiarize yourself with the system, character upgrades and so on.

Yeah I ended up buying it anyways. Pretty cool, although Shadowblades seem kind of bad (maybe its just a bad comparison since my other guy was a cleric who one shotted basically every enemy so far) I hope it's just a rough start because shadowy magic assassins are one of my favorite fantasy tropes.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah I ended up buying it anyways. Pretty cool, although Shadowblades seem kind of bad (maybe its just a bad comparison since my other guy was a cleric who one shotted basically every enemy so far) I hope it's just a rough start because shadowy magic assassins are one of my favorite fantasy tropes.

I started with a Knight and Enchanter, that seemed to work out well as Enchanter has Teleport and couple Slow spells and Knight has cure. Overall, the game seems darn good, but it's lacking in a manual and explanation on how to do "stuff". For example, there is nothing on crafting and there was no explanation on how to say bash doors/chest (just hold Ctrl). It is a very cool game though and I handily recommend it (as well as Bloodlines, Fallout or Witcher games).

It has that pretty nice Ultima/BG vibe to the game and seems pretty interesting. Camera controls are a bit wonky but nothing that can't be dealt with and camera unlocks (just remember that you can rehome it, as it will lose track).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Kind of a bummer the release on the 30th isn't going to have all the companions and the entire personality system will be missing apparently?

Just going to wait for a patch myself.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Rascyc posted:

Kind of a bummer the release on the 30th isn't going to have all the companions and the entire personality system will be missing apparently?

Just going to wait for a patch myself.

Is that on dev log somewhere? At least for personality, there is a fairly constant string of banter between the two initial party members.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

deadlyrhetoric posted:

With The Last Remnant on sale on Steam for USD $2.50...Should I pick it up?

I'm a Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, and Suikoden I type of guy when it comes to RPGs.

I would have loved the game if you had full control over all of your squads at all times, but having a healer squad unable to cast heal on the dying melee squad right next to it because the option just didn't appear on a tough boss fight completely killed it for me. Self heals were unreliable as well. If there was some mod for the game that allowed you full control over the actions of your squads at all times I would throw a lot of hours at it.

Still worth $2.50 though, I enjoyed it until that factor annoyed me too much to continue.

How does the original Suikoden hold up today? I'm in the mood for a PSX RPG I haven't played before, which is most of them apart from FF7 and 8. Those 2 and a game called 'Jade Cocoon' are the only RPGs I played on the original playstation but I enjoyed them all.

Brasseye fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 20, 2014

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'm probably going to end up buying one of the Agarest games during this Steam sale, since I am a shameful nerd. Which would be a better choice, The first one or Zero? I read that Zero was more streamlined and it seems to have more positive reviews.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

BKPR posted:

I'm probably going to end up buying one of the Agarest games during this Steam sale, since I am a shameful nerd. Which would be a better choice, The first one or Zero? I read that Zero was more streamlined and it seems to have more positive reviews.

I'd go with Zero, which I did because I'm also a shameful nerd. I played the first on PS3 ages ago and it was alright. I'm certain that series is just all more of the same so "streamlined and better reviewed" are the way to go IMO.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

oblomov posted:

Is that on dev log somewhere? At least for personality, there is a fairly constant string of banter between the two initial party members.
I'm going off what Stabbey has been posting in the main Divinity Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541185&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=34#post431226963

which he has been maintaining like a boss

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Rascyc posted:

I'm going off what Stabbey has been posting in the main Divinity Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541185&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=34#post431226963

which he has been maintaining like a boss

Oh well. I will have to live without it but I will reserve the right to grumble about it. That's OK though, my steam backlog is growing due to the sale and I might just wait to play till its patched.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
FYI, Wasteland also went on sale so it's going for $40 on US store. Man, this is tempting since I don't see it dropping much lower if any before release (guessing $40-$50 regular release price).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm incredibly tempted by it but $40 on a Steam Sale is a huge chunk of my budget. I wish I knew if it was worth it.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

BKPR posted:

You might think this is a good plan because 'gently caress it how bad can it be,' but really really don't. The gameplay is universally poo poo and if you're horny for anime boobies just go to 4chan.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Million Ghosts posted:

You might think this is a good plan because 'gently caress it how bad can it be,' but really really don't. The gameplay is universally poo poo and if you're horny for anime boobies just go to 4chan.

Too late for me, got it, following that whole "gently caress it how bad can it be" line. It might have been a mistake.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm incredibly tempted by it but $40 on a Steam Sale is a huge chunk of my budget. I wish I knew if it was worth it.

Same here on the amount of the sale and I already bought Divinity Origins. However, I loved all Fallout games (well, less so for Tactics, plus heavily modded for base Fallout 3 and NV) and that remains perhaps one of my top 3 RPG series (with Infinity Engine games and Elder Scrolls being the other two), so it's definitely a huge temptation.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

oblomov posted:

Too late for me, got it, following that whole "gently caress it how bad can it be" line. It might have been a mistake.

I say this with love; you are a dumb motherfucker.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

I say this with love; you are a dumb motherfucker.

Honestly I'm kinda in the same boat. Seeing all these RPGs on consoles and portables I can't own is driving me nuts and I need something turn-based no matter how bad to get my fix (although Agarest does seem bad even in that regard).

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Just.. don't. Agarest: Not Even Once. If you're really that desperate just emulate.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Agarest is a loving grind to go through, I'll say that much. If you're still bold and crazy enough to go through with it, go look at the Before I Play post I made about it, and check the wiki too, because oh gently caress do you not want to go through this poo poo blind.

If you lose the urge to play through it, go ahead and stop - it's not a good game in the slightest.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Ozdhaka posted:

Agarest is a loving grind to go through, I'll say that much. If you're still bold and crazy enough to go through with it, go look at the Before I Play post I made about it, and check the wiki too, because oh gently caress do you not want to go through this poo poo blind.

If you lose the urge to play through it, go ahead and stop - it's not a good game in the slightest.

Welp, to the back of the backlog with it! I guess I could also use a trainer if there is one out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Agarest isn't the worst poo poo I've ever played or anything, but it's pretty thoroughly mediocre. It has redeeming qualities, but not grand, awe-inspiring ones.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Agarest isn't the worst poo poo I've ever played or anything, but it's pretty thoroughly mediocre. It has redeeming qualities, but not grand, awe-inspiring ones.

I'm playing Agarest Zero and this is my feeling about it. It's not a bad waste of time but it's not really inspiring either.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Either I've become a crotchety JRPG grandpa in my not-old age or you guys have standards so low they're underground.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Agarest is some hot garbage

e: Actually I did recently get Ni No Kuni and having a fairly pleasant time with it. For $5 it feels like a steal on the PS3 and all.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 22, 2014

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Million Ghosts posted:

Either I've become a crotchety JRPG grandpa in my not-old age or you guys have standards so low they're underground.

My JRPG standards are pretty dang low, and I've developed a very high tolerance for JRPG bullshit over the years.

I bought Agarest War Zero because I was in a huge SRPG mood at the time, and it just happened to come out right then.

It was loving awful. I don't mean just the artistic direction or awkward fanservice or anything either. The gameplay mechanics are horrible, and they're designed to maximize grinding.

Do not ever purchase or play an Agarest game.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
^^^
This is a good post, thank you. gently caress, not even the fanservice in Agarest is above utter poo poo level.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Agarest is some hot garbage

e: Actually I did recently get Ni No Kuni and having a fairly pleasant time with it. For $5 it feels like a steal on the PS3 and all.

Ni Ni Kuni is charming as all hell, it's too bad about how shallow it is. Drippy is still the best though.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Yeah, messed around with Agarest and it was not great (to say the least).

Got Inquisitor instead due to some NeoGaf recommendations. You know, for $3.50 you could do a lot worse. Expect some very heavy text dialogues, a bit obtuse mechanics and "back to 1990s" style, but so far it's an interesting game for certain.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Suikoden V was indeed a lot of fun. I'm a little surprised I had never heard of it until a few years ago, I guess it kind of flew under the radar after the weird experiment that was III and the disappointment of IV. It was pretty much the perfect Suikoden experience, so it's a little sad that the series is now apparently dead for good.

E: It's sort of funny how in retrospect half of the things in the opening never actually happen in the game, or do happen but with different circumstances like characters having the wrong costumes or hair color.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 23, 2014

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Preorders for the physical version of Class of Heroes 2G start tomorrow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Agarest is probably a better game than Ni No Kuni, to be honest.

Nate RFB posted:

E: It's sort of funny how in retrospect half of the things in the opening never actually happen in the game, or do happen but with different circumstances like characters having the wrong costumes or hair color.
Just about every Suikoden opening is like that, to be honest - with how labrythine the metaplot is, I wouldn't be surprised if ideas were tossed out and/or changed frequently, even after the opening was finalized.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Does it hurt to be so wrong about things?

Suiko2 starts up pretty quick, 1 is a little slow. Oh wait the other openings. Yeah, 2's is not even related to fuckin' anything.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Endorph posted:

Agarest is probably a better game than Ni No Kuni, to be honest.

Look at you. Just look how wrong you are.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Dross posted:

I probably wouldn't have gone that far, but I personally can't overstate how bad a taste Ni no Kuni left in my mouth by mid-game. It's so shallow and monotonous after the 3-hour mark or so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ni Ni Kuni is like 20% insanely charming delightful joy and 80% boring as balls. I love Dragon Quest and if it had just been like Dragon Quest + an iota of the charm of the opening of the game, I'd have loved it. It isn't as bad as Agarest but it sure is disappointing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dross posted:

Not as wrong as I'd wish, sadly. I wanted to love Ni no Kuni so much more than I did :smith:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

I probably wouldn't have gone that far, but I personally can't overstate how bad a taste Ni no Kuni left in my mouth by mid-game. It's so shallow and monotonous after the 3-hour mark or so.

As charming as Ni no Kuni's story is, the gameplay got so obnoxious to engage with that I couldn't finish it. I probably didn't even get half way through, to be honest.

Ni no Kuni is a pretty bad game.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

King of Solomon posted:

As charming as Ni no Kuni's story is, the gameplay got so obnoxious to engage with that I couldn't finish it. I probably didn't even get half way through, to be honest.

Ni no Kuni is a pretty bad game.

you don't have PMs so: do you have the Dustforce SS achievement? If so, goddamn you, I go back to that last stage every month or so and never pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Ni No Kuni should have just been an adventure game where you run around and cast spells, and even that got boring after the first handful of heart piece quests and being told exactly when and where to use each spell ("Boy it sure would be great if there was a Bridge here!").

If you want to finish it pretty easily, get a Dinoceros, look up directions to one of the easy grinding spots, set the game to easy, and spam Earsplitter. Still not worth the effort, but at least it's less effort.