Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

101 posted:

That happened to me too. I had to install beta #4, log in and then update to #5. Everything seems to work fine now.

That ended up being my fix, though I had to request my password reset email be sent before it took my current password (second time, I have no clue why). Once I was in I was able to go straight from beta #4 to #10 though. No worries though, this is why we agreed to beta test. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Well this is working on the beta:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Last night I was wondering if we should actually just emulate the whole screen with the robot and have a giant refresh button. Then there was the part of me that figured this was it and that database was never coming back.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I often get flakey reception, especially on my train commute, so I find the big network error pop-up that I have to dismiss quite annoying. Especially when I give up on a thread loading, then open the app later when connected to good Wi-Fi and the network error is the first thing that pops up. Is it possible to get a more subtle banner or something?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just pushed the offscreen-unload stuff. I'm worried that the UIWebView scroll event model is going to require some whackamole, because the viewport dimensions are sometimes not updated properly if I sample them during scrolling, meaning that things don't get reloaded when they should. I can trigger it easily on the simulator, but it's pretty rare on my phone. I might need to be less clever about just touching images that have entered/exited, and fully reprocess when scrolling stops? We might want to have a pref to control it, if it causes really aggressive evictions that bother people. We might also only trigger it if there f.e. > 5 content images on a page?

I currently just use the system "image missing" placeholder, because it's cheap and easy (about:blank). Let me know if you want to do something else there, but keep in might that the image could be arbitrarily scaled.

I don't really know how to monitor memory use, but I'm sure some time with Instruments will enlighten me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pushed an improved version of the viewport calculation, seems to work Just Fine on my device and simulator now. Typing this I realized how I could make it more efficient, but worst case we process 600 tags on a given scroll event (5 images * 40 posts/page * all 3 events firing -- unlikely) and I have to run to an appointment. I'll take a look at it tonight if I get a chance.

Others' impressions of memory usage and image-heaving thread load speed are very welcome!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I often get flakey reception, especially on my train commute, so I find the big network error pop-up that I have to dismiss quite annoying. Especially when I give up on a thread loading, then open the app later when connected to good Wi-Fi and the network error is the first thing that pops up. Is it possible to get a more subtle banner or something?

Good call, it's on the list! There's a few things going on here. "Error loading thread you've long since backed out of" is worthless and shouldn't be displayed at all. Whereas "auto-refreshing failed" might be worth a subtle mention up in the status bar but isn't worth a big fuckoff alert.

Subjunctive posted:

Pushed an improved version of the viewport calculation, seems to work Just Fine on my device and simulator now. Typing this I realized how I could make it more efficient, but worst case we process 600 tags on a given scroll event (5 images * 40 posts/page * all 3 events firing -- unlikely) and I have to run to an appointment. I'll take a look at it tonight if I get a chance.

Others' impressions of memory usage and image-heaving thread load speed are very welcome!

Reading over the commits it looks like a good start! I'll poke at it and get it out to beta testers too.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Inertial scrolling seems to (unsurprisingly) gently caress with the program. Try flicking the scrollview so it slides towards an offscreen, swapped-out image. For me, the image doesn't load until I touch the scrollview again.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Inertial scrolling seems to (unsurprisingly) gently caress with the program. Try flicking the scrollview so it slides towards an offscreen, swapped-out image. For me, the image doesn't load until I touch the scrollview again.

Even when it stops? Hmm. I wasn't seeing that, but I might have only checked inertial on the simulator, boo.

I'll take a peek, sorry. I also don't like what it seems to do to Previous Posts.

Edit: to update during inertial scroll, we might have to do our own scrolling with one of the JS libraries, or generate events ourselves from the native side. Mein leben.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 17, 2014

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I was running 2.0.9 beta 3 and updated to 2.0.10 beta 2 and now the beta app crashes every time I try to open it. Falling back to 2.0.9 beta 4 worked though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Even when it stops? Hmm. I wasn't seeing that, but I might have only checked inertial on the simulator, boo.

I'll take a peek, sorry. I also don't like what it seems to do to Previous Posts.

Edit: to update during inertial scroll, we might have to do our own scrolling with one of the JS libraries, or generate events ourselves from the native side. Mein leben.

Yeah, even when it stops. This is on an iPad, dunno if UIWebView changes anything between iPad and iPhone.

If nothing else it'd be easy to call some JavaScript from native-land once inertial scrolling is done. Not as pretty but might be enough.

I'm very wary of doing our own scrolling in JavaScript, if that helps guide your search for solutions.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm probably not the first to report this, but tapping and holding on links works sparingly ever since the last update.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Teddybear posted:

I'm probably not the first to report this, but tapping and holding on links works sparingly ever since the last update.

I think you might be? Does it just not work at all, or does it seem to work if you long-press a bit above or below the link?

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

pokeyman posted:

I think you might be? Does it just not work at all, or does it seem to work if you long-press a bit above or below the link?

I'm having the same problem too. It's sporadic and no amount of trying in slightly different places works. I usually have to back out of the thread and load it again.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Even trying to reposition over it multiple times doesn't work. It's an on-again, off-again issue, but it's really annoying.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

Am I going crazy, or isn't this a known issue that's fixed in the version that's awaiting app review?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

Am I going crazy, or isn't this a known issue that's fixed in the version that's awaiting app review?

Oh poo poo it could well be. I've been busy (if not necessarily productive) with Awful this past fortnight and don't remember what's in which version.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, I know you fixed it but I honestly can't remember in which version, so let's just say it will be fixed in an "upcoming version". I guess this is what happens when you have another release just about ready to go before the previous one is even approved.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Holy poo poo. I didn't realize the app uploaded photos to img to post for me. I was wasting so much time using picup and then posting then link.

Only thing I miss is reporting poo poo posters.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Only thing I miss is reporting poo poo posters.

It's on the list! One of those oft-requested features that I never actually use myself so I keep forgetting.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

Can you long-press the link and copy the URL, then paste that URL here? I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, because I can't reproduce what you're seeing.

This is old, but I haven't posted here in a bit.

The problem was the view jumping when clicking a link to a post. It affects all post links. This is an example URL:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644579&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post431253402

It initially will load and show the appropriate post, but then it jumps virtually instantly to the first post on that page and stays there.

I've reinstalled the app several times, but this doesn't fix it. It seems to be permanently broken whatever I do.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The jumping thing is v responsive, though. Make the rest of the app like that. :iamafag:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

theadder posted:

This is old, but I haven't posted here in a bit.

The problem was the view jumping when clicking a link to a post. It affects all post links. This is an example URL:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3644579&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post431253402

It initially will load and show the appropriate post, but then it jumps virtually instantly to the first post on that page and stays there.

I've reinstalled the app several times, but this doesn't fix it. It seems to be permanently broken whatever I do.

I think it is somewhat fixed in the next version. Hold tight!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The link in this post (to bay12forums) isn't clickable: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616403&perpage=40&pagenumber=34#post431329120

Edit: it's clickable when quoted below. I'm using the App Store version.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 22, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

I think it is somewhat fixed in the next version. Hold tight!

Ok. Thanks.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

The link in this post (to bay12forums) isn't clickable: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3616403&perpage=40&pagenumber=34#post431329120

Edit: it's clickable when quoted below. I'm using the App Store version.

It's not a link in a browser either, they must've had "automatically parse URLs" turned off when they made the post.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

in post/reply/edit screen. tap and hold text -> select -> drag selection box upward -> screen will not scroll, just jitters spastically -> now my penis is soft

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The app hasn't allowed me to access the forums for the last few days

tehe

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Really good timing on adding the database unavailable specific error. Almost too good…

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

Really good timing on adding the database unavailable specific error. Almost too good…

Well I can only test so much locally, gotta see how it behaved in production!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
FWIW I never got a database unavailable message. I still had a forums list, but trying to refresh my bookmarks or load an actual forum thread listing just gave a blank page.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

fourwood posted:

FWIW I never got a database unavailable message. I still had a forums list, but trying to refresh my bookmarks or load an actual forum thread listing just gave a blank page.

That only happened to me after Lowtax redirected the forums to a front page post

Vaz
Feb 15, 2002
Vurt Refugee
Can links be in wee bit brighter color in dark mode? Yellow? Orange? Instead of blue?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

101 posted:

That only happened to me after Lowtax redirected the forums to a front page post

Happened to me before that, when I was still getting the robot via the web.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

fourwood posted:

For me pretended to refresh the forum but did nothing. It never showed me any error message.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don't think the update with the "Database Unavailable" message ever actually hit the App Store, did it?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

I don't think the update with the "Database Unavailable" message ever actually hit the App Store, did it?

It's "In Review".

It used to be in "Metadata Rejected" because the reviewer couldn't log in, because the Forums were down :(

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Vaz posted:

Can links be in wee bit brighter color in dark mode? Yellow? Orange? Instead of blue?

Are you using the app in sunlight a lot or something? Never heard that complaint before and changing the color is nowhere near my idea of solutions.

There's a new dark mode in testing that is significantly darker, maybe that will give you the contrast you need.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Please don't add yellow to dark mode. It kinda defeats the purpose for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaz
Feb 15, 2002
Vurt Refugee

The Dave posted:

Are you using the app in sunlight a lot or something? Never heard that complaint before and changing the color is nowhere near my idea of solutions.

There's a new dark mode in testing that is significantly darker, maybe that will give you the contrast you need.

Yes the better contrast is what I am looking for.

E: spelling

E2: I take back the link color suggestion, it's stupid color request then.

Vaz fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 26, 2014

• Locked thread