Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Houston-Dallas, Chicago-Columbus - some good rivalry matches this round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
The Rapids-silverbacks game was an absolute mess. The ref lost complete control of the game resulting in an out right fight that started that he didn't even notice for about three minutes because he was looking at a player who died on the other end of the field. Four players and two managers are sent off. At which point he can't discipline silverbacks for anything because if you sent another player often forfeit the game. So they started playing even dirtier. It was the most surreal ugly game I have ever seen, and the worst refereeing I've ever seen in his sport. Juan Guzman should never be let out a professional field ever again. The irony is that he'd just finished some training course because he felt he needed to improve his game to move the next level.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

Riven posted:

The Rapids-silverbacks game was an absolute mess. The ref lost complete control of the game resulting in an out right fight that started that he didn't even notice for about three minutes because he was looking at a player who died on the other end of the field. Four players and two managers are sent off. At which point he can't discipline silverbacks for anything because if you sent another player often forfeit the game. So they started playing even dirtier. It was the most surreal ugly game I have ever seen, and the worst refereeing I've ever seen in his sport. Juan Guzman should never be let out a professional field ever again. The irony is that he'd just finished some training course because he felt he needed to improve his game to move the next level.

The union cosmos game was similar but not as bad as far as people being sent off. In reality there should have been at least two more red cards and the entire coaching staff from the cosmos should have been sent off. A cosmos forward literally kicked our goalkeeper from behind while he was taking a goal kick. At one point the cosmos head coach was so far out of his area that he passed the union bench so he could shout at the ref

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
Raleigh continues to host and defeat LA teams. Railhawks 1-0 Galaxy in extra time last night. We host Dallas, I think a week and a half from now.

Serious post: Is the Cup drawn to favor the lower division side hosting? I can't believe LA and Chivas have had to fly across the country to our 10,000 seat stadium 5 or 6 times in the last few years, but it would make sense considering we probably couldn't afford to fly to LA twice a year.

Also they're re-laying the pitch at our ground so I think the Cup tie was played on the training field.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

franks posted:

Raleigh continues to host and defeat LA teams. Railhawks 1-0 Galaxy in extra time last night. We host Dallas, I think a week and a half from now.

Serious post: Is the Cup drawn to favor the lower division side hosting? I can't believe LA and Chivas have had to fly across the country to our 10,000 seat stadium 5 or 6 times in the last few years, but it would make sense considering we probably couldn't afford to fly to LA twice a year.

Also they're re-laying the pitch at our ground so I think the Cup tie was played on the training field.

there is a random aspect to determine who has claim on home turf but the teams can negotiate to buy home field from the other

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Riven posted:

Yeah, it was pretty insane.

You can watch the fight on an archived stream. Just start at the 50 minute mark and watch it all happen: http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/25/silverbacks-players-face-stomp-ignites-four-red-cards-overshadows-upset-of-colorado-video/

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Star Man posted:

You can watch the fight on an archived stream. Just start at the 50 minute mark and watch it all happen: http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/25/silverbacks-players-face-stomp-ignites-four-red-cards-overshadows-upset-of-colorado-video/

To tell the truth I'm not seeing what kind of scuffle caused him to send the coaches off, unless it was them crossing the touchline period that triggers that.

edit: I guess I was expecting more of a hockey fight.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Gin Soaked Ape posted:

there is a random aspect to determine who has claim on home turf but the teams can negotiate to buy home field from the other

They got rid of that last Open Cup, it's straight up coin flips now.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Was Taters posted:

To tell the truth I'm not seeing what kind of scuffle caused him to send the coaches off, unless it was them crossing the touchline period that triggers that.

edit: I guess I was expecting more of a hockey fight.

Wynalda crossed the touch line. Maestroni didn't (I was sitting two rows behind the Rapids bench, he really didn't), but got sent off for doing it anyways.

As Mastroeni said, Guzman has bosses to answer to.

Wynalda's assistant coach the. Proceed to cross the touch line during play about ten more times during the game, and was shouted back into his box by the crowd every drat time. He should have been sent off to.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

whypick1 posted:

They got rid of that last Open Cup, it's straight up coin flips now.

philly got super lucky then because this next open cup game will be our third one at home in a row

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Star Man posted:

BZZZT, YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!

That looks like the game should have been abandoned and let USSF figure it out.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
I for one am SHOCKED that a team coached by Eric Wynalda turned out to be such a pile of shitheads

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Oh hey, we're back.

The Fire beat the Crew tonight, 4-2 in extra time. Parkhurst even managed to get himself a red card.

It was a good night.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

heads up everyone, philly beat new england during a dust tornado last night

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Chicago at Atlanta is kicking off in a half hour.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Another fracas in an USOC game - straight reds for fighting for both teams half an hour in. Magee is out for Chicago.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hello Towel posted:

Another fracas in an USOC game - straight reds for fighting for both teams half an hour in. Magee is out for Chicago.

The real question is will Atlanta still be able to beat Chicago with only eight players? Avenge us, Chicago!

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Star Man posted:

The real question is will Atlanta still be able to beat Chicago with only eight players? Avenge us, Chicago!

So far both teams look like absolute dogshit. :sigh:

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Just like that, Amarikwa pokes home a free kick. 1-0 Fire.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

hello towel, is benjji joya hurt or crappy or just in the doghouse for some reason? i dont watch a lot of chicago games but i haven't even seen or heard his name in a while

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I believe Joya has been hurt lately.

Gin Soaked Ape
May 4, 2004

i'm surprised at how good carolina has been at finding chances even when dallas is totally packed in and they are doing it while keeping the ball on the ground

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I missed the goals so the most interesting thing for me so far is that Alex Harley is Adebayors nephew.

Also this penalty

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

The Fire's first goal was a point-blank tap-in by Amarikwa after a bouncing free kick from the corner by Shipp.

No one on the stream saw the Atlanta goal because the stream crapped out.

Fondy drew the penalty and Larentowicz puts it away. 2-1 Fire now.

E: Alex scores off the rebound to make this 3-1.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 10, 2014

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The Legend of Matt Fondy begins here, tonight.

By falling down in the box, ftw.

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 10, 2014

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

And that's the final, 3-1 Chicago.

That was really a poo poo game, but hey we advance.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sounders lineup:

Frei

Yedlin
Marshall
Scott
Anibaba

Evans
Alonso
Pineda
Neagle

Barrett
Weaver

Thrilled at having Yedlin back, not so thrilled at watching Cam Weaver again.

E: Here's the stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B53NYEXw62c

Benne fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 10, 2014

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This makes me lol. The TA section at Stafire

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
^^^ You guys should buy a bunch of beer, pour it down the hill, and then slide down it every time Portland score (3 times).

Benne posted:

Thrilled at having Yedlin back,

E: Here's the stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B53NYEXw62c

Wait, Yedlin is back and playing but Dempsey isn't? Or is Dempsey a league play only kind of guy/needs his rest?

Portland lineup:

Ricketts,
Harrington, O’Rourke, McKenzie, Villafaña,
Chara, Fernández, Jewsbury (c),
Valeri, Adi, Wallace

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

El Jebus posted:

Wait, Yedlin is back and playing but Dempsey isn't? Or is Dempsey a league play only kind of guy/needs his rest?

Dempsey played every minute in the World Cup, whereas Yedlin only played, what, 100 minutes?

Also Dempsey is doing Letterman tonight. Kinda impossible to do both.

Benne posted:

Sounders lineup:

Frei

Yedlin
Marshall
Scott
Anibaba

Evans
Alonso
Pineda
Neagle

Barrett
Weaver

Thrilled at having Yedlin back, not so thrilled at watching Cam Weaver again.

Huh, what happened to Hahnemann getting all of the OC matches?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

whypick1 posted:

Dempsey played every minute in the World Cup, whereas Yedlin only played, what, 100 minutes?

Well, when you put it like that it makes sense. It just seems so long ago...

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

whypick1 posted:

Pssht, Letterman films at, what 5:00 Eastern? I'm sure Paul Allen could figure out a way to have him helicoptered into Starfire.

quote:

Huh, what happened to Hahnemann getting all of the OC matches?
Think I read somewhere yesterday that he had a hamstring thing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

highme posted:

This makes me lol. The TA section at Stafire

I'm going to guess no one bothered telling the TA guys how lovely parking is and to get there early? Or did no one even show up?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Oba's dealing with a hamstring issue. I assume Weaver's getting the start today to keep Cooper fresh in case Oba can't go on Sunday.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Go Sounders! Get hosed Timbers!

highme
May 25, 2001

SeaTard posted:

I'm going to guess no one bothered telling the TA guys how lovely parking is and to get there early? Or did no one even show up?

We were allocated 200 tickets, but I don't know how many of them actually sold, we had 3 full busses go up though. I know that they were still talking about having extras yesterday. However, that pictures was taken right after gates opened by somebody who had driven up (I didn't go).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

5 minutes in and this game is already more entertaining than NED-ARG.

highme
May 25, 2001

The only thing that could make this broadcast worse is Eric Wynalda. Bleyer & Fletcher are both so loving awful.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

highme posted:

The only thing that could make this broadcast worse is Eric Wynalda. Bleyer & Fletcher are both so loving awful.

I find it amusing to listen to them, neither one is being as rahrah as usual.

The camera work is awful though, I wonder if it is a bunch of interns from UW or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The camera work is definitely making this hard to watch, like when the camera is 5-10 seconds behind where the ball is.

drat you post :argh:

• Locked thread