Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mr. stefan posted:

My favorite thing about Johnny Mnemonic is the complete and blatant sexism with the translation of the Molly Millions analogue, who went from "psychotic future assassin with razor blade hands, superhuman reflexes and surgically implanted AR shades" to "has seizures at plot convenient moments"

2021. THE INTERNET.

80 gigabytes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

precision posted:

2021. THE INTERNET.

80 gigabytes!

Or, to put in 1995 terms. Four digital tapes.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Couldn't they predict poo poo like that better with moore's law and a bit of research?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

NeoSeeker posted:

Couldn't they predict poo poo like that better with moore's law and a bit of research?

Probably but that would have taken time and effort and money and wouldn't have made the movie any better.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Breakfast All Day posted:

The only good anime is a dead anime.

If anime is outlawed only outlaws will have animes

Does anyone know why season 4 of the twilight zone isn't up?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Probably but that would have taken time and effort and money and wouldn't have made the movie any better.

they spent all the money for the dolph cameo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

NeoSeeker posted:

It's the tricky question of looking up all those prefixes.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
It only took me 20 years, but I think I finally figured out Johnny Mnemonic's puny 80gb.

Other people can store petabytes, but Keanu Reeves' character is an idiot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is the Man Who Is Tall Happy? doesn't bring anything new to the table, but it's a fun enough Noam Chomsky interview with some cool animations to stare at (because you're stoned). Recommended for dudes who are cool.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

80 gigabytes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEYf12VOBVU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Leper Residue posted:

So I was really bored at work and it keeps popping up with it as a recommendation so I finally gave Rapture-Palooza a viewing. I actually really enjoyed it. It's just so dumb and stupidly optimistic and blase in the face of the apocalypse. I just couldn't help but laugh at a lot of it it's just so absurb.

I watched this because I remembered reading this post and I'd just like to say thanks a lot rear end in a top hat.

I've got pretty low standards but Rapture-Palooza is easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I don't think most people could even purposefully make something so boring and unfunny.

I watched it the day the forums went down and I'm still mad about it.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

ghetto wormhole posted:

I watched this because I remembered reading this post and I'd just like to say thanks a lot rear end in a top hat.

I've got pretty low standards but Rapture-Palooza is easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I don't think most people could even purposefully make something so boring and unfunny.

Seconded. It tried too hard and failed. All the jokes seemed like 3rd tier "hey I'm funny too don't leave me behind in the UCB when you get your own show" joke material, which was surprising because there were some really good comic actors in the movie.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Meatwave posted:

It only took me 20 years, but I think I finally figured out Johnny Mnemonic's puny 80gb.

Other people can store petabytes, but Keanu Reeves' character is an idiot.

Everyone keeps making this criticism of the movie, but it seems like kind of a dumb one, honestly. It's not the entire storage capacity for info in his brain, it's the storage capacity for his implant. On top of that, 80gb actually seems kind of excessive for a data courier- text, images, and audio are all way smaller than that even uncompressed, and while he probably couldn't put hours of uncompressed video on it, h264 compressed video would still be a drop in the bucket.

I mean, nowadays obviously the implant itself would be ridiculous because we have external HDDs and flash drives, but the size of the implant specifically doesn't strike me as being a problem.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The size is also directly from the original short story, which was published in 1981 where 80gb was far more impressive. It's interesting that all the details they kept from the story are seriously dated even by 1995.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NeoSeeker posted:

No, but I'm pretty sure it was on the author's mind when he wrote the book.

The fact that zeke came from the book doesn't really mean much to me either. In the end it's all a pile of poo poo that's an affront to the genre in general.

I think in the book they were called "Zed."

I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Everyone keeps making this criticism of the movie, but it seems like kind of a dumb one, honestly. It's not the entire storage capacity for info in his brain, it's the storage capacity for his implant. On top of that, 80gb actually seems kind of excessive for a data courier- text, images, and audio are all way smaller than that even uncompressed, and while he probably couldn't put hours of uncompressed video on it, h264 compressed video would still be a drop in the bucket.

I mean, nowadays obviously the implant itself would be ridiculous because we have external HDDs and flash drives, but the size of the implant specifically doesn't strike me as being a problem.

I thought the implant directly interfaced with his brain memories somehow? Which was why the overload was loving with him. If the implant was simply a flash drive crammed into his brain zone then overloading it shouldn't have been an option.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

ghetto wormhole posted:

Eh, I mean different strokes for different folks, but I still think the whole scene where it's raining blood and the guy is just "Seriously? Blood? What is the point of this, it's just making a mess everywhere dammit!" is hilarious.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

Eh, I mean different strokes for different folks, but I still think the whole scene where it's raining blood and the guy is just "Seriously? Blood? What is the point of this, it's just making a mess everywhere dammit!" is hilarious.

I didn't think it was that great of a movie, but I liked how the apocalypse was just kind of a bummer. Like the fire and brimstone stuff would be absolutely mental to people that lived in caves 2000 years ago, but for the modern generation it's just :effort: Welp, the Johnsons got eaten by one of those demon things, let's see if they have batteries so I can charge my iPod.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Hello. does anyone know of a list or blog or something that has all the really lovely movies/TV shows on netflix? I have netflix on PS3 and the software shows a limited selection, the same movie will show up under comedies and romantic movies and critically acclaimed movies and Popular on Netflix etc so youre scrolling through the same 50 popular-ish movies and shows over and over. I know netflix has thousands of movies and lots of lovely stuff i probably havent heard of... i want the poo poo..

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

manyak posted:

Hello. does anyone know of a list or blog or something that has all the really lovely movies/TV shows on netflix? I have netflix on PS3 and the software shows a limited selection, the same movie will show up under comedies and romantic movies and critically acclaimed movies and Popular on Netflix etc so youre scrolling through the same 50 popular-ish movies and shows over and over. I know netflix has thousands of movies and lots of lovely stuff i probably havent heard of... i want the poo poo..

Instantwatcher.com works, but Netflix is actively trying to stop all these 3rd party indexes by shutting down their API access. It really sucks since most Netflix interfaces on smart TVs are crap. Alternatively you can use the Netflix website, but it also kind of sucks for browsing categories.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Netflix is shutting down its API, but in the announcement, it explicitly stated that Instantwatcher (among some similar sites) will continue to have API access after the shutdown.

edit - here is the full list:

quote:

Instant Watcher
Fanhattan
Yidio
NextGuide
Flixster
Can I Stream It?
FeedFliks
Instant Watch Browser for Netflix

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

Watched Johnny Mnemonic last night. Haven't seen it since it came out and I was a lot younger. Holy lol is that movie bad. The casting is hilarious though with Henry Rollins, Ice-T, and others. I forgot about the dolphin at the end and it was so, so terrible.

I saw this a week ago and it was always a goofy movie, and it wasn't even particularly good at the time, and aged even worse.

However, based on how I remember it when I was in my teens, Strange Days was a lot better and I'm going to watch that again soon.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Some of the rumored new arrivals in July:

12 Angry Men
Bad Santa
Basic Instinct
Boyz In The Hood
City Of God
Crimson Tide
Eight Men Out
From Here To Eternity
Gandhi
Honey, I Shrunk The Kids
Legends Of The Fall
Mean Girls
Patton
Philadelphia
Primal Fear
Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek I The Motion Picture
The Hunt For Red October
The Karate Kid
The Manchurian Candidate
The Master

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sweet. I've seen this three times (once in 70mm!) and would love a chance to see it again.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
The Amazing Spiderman got added (in :canada: at least). I'm glad, I've been itching to rewatch it recently.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Sand Monster posted:

Crimson Tide
Philadelphia
The Manchurian Candidate

Denzel movie night is a go.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I could have sworn I watched Star Trek The Motion Picture on Netflix fairly recently.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

marktheando posted:

I could have sworn I watched Star Trek The Motion Picture on Netflix fairly recently.

Yeah, some of those have been on there before. It wasn't meant to imply they are brand new offerings.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Master and Mean Girls :toot:

I watched Rapture-palooza last night. Despite having a goofy name I really enjoyed it, though I think it depends a lot on how tolerant you are of Anna Kendrick because she pretty much carries the whole film. Craig Robinson is pretty good too but has a lot fewer scenes than the promotional poster would have you believe. The side characters all did a pretty good job too, Paul Scheer, Rob Corddry, Thomas Lennon, etc. I'd say it's worth a watch if you like cute twee indie crap, which I do.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

If you like cute twee indie crap watch Take This Waltz, it's the cutest twee-est crappiest indie movie I've ever seen

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

A MIRACLE posted:

If you like cute twee indie crap watch Take This Waltz, it's the cutest twee-est crappiest indie movie I've ever seen

More so than Tiny Furniture? No way.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Dude just watch it. It's at least as bad as tiny furniture

bartok
May 10, 2006

Wolf Creek 2 is up on Instant. I'd give it a weak recommend only if you are big fan of the horror genre. You don't need to have seen the original but I'd recommend trying to find it because it is a pretty solid slasher film with some genuinely scary and creepy moments. Unfortunately I don't think it is available for streaming in the US.

As for Wolf Creek 2 it feels like one of those Platinum Dune remakes of some obscure cult favorite Aussie exploitation film from the mid 70's. Like the remakes of The Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Last House on the Left they are fairly faithful remakes but somehow lacks that gritty exploitation aesthetic that made those films cult classics.
The real appeal of Wolf Creek 2 is the villain, Mick Taylor. For a xenophobic cannibal torturer rapist serial killer he comes off as a very charismatic in the way Freddy Krueger did in the later Nightmare on Elm Street sequels.

Fair warning there is a kangaroo scene that is just loving terrible. I'm not talking the Wake in Fright (this is/was on Netflix and I give a huge recommend) we killed actual kangaroos in this movie. Instead it is a crappy looking CGI herd of kangaroos that takes you completely out of what is suppose to be a suspenseful chase scene.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

bartok posted:

Fair warning there is a kangaroo scene that is just loving terrible. I'm not talking the Wake in Fright (this is/was on Netflix and I give a huge recommend) we killed actual kangaroos in this movie. Instead it is a crappy looking CGI herd of kangaroos that takes you completely out of what is suppose to be a suspenseful chase scene.

That scene took me from hating the movie to mildly admiring it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The idea of Wolf Creek getting a Platinum Dunes reboot is about as likely as Wolf Creek 2 in the first place.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

bartok posted:

The real appeal of Wolf Creek 2 is the villain, Mick Taylor. For a xenophobic cannibal torturer rapist serial killer he comes off as a very charismatic in the way Freddy Krueger did in the later Nightmare on Elm Street sequels.

I think it's worth watching for this guys performance alone, he's brilliant. Like almost every horror film of recent times it is far from scary, but that guy is great.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
White Zombie is on - probably been on forever, it's nothing new, but drat. F. W. Murnau don't gently caress around when it comes to good old black and white creepy rear end poo poo.

You should watch this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Uh, White Zombie is directed by one of the Halperin Bros.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

Dude just watch it. It's at least as bad as tiny furniture

Dude nothing is as bad as Tiny Furniture. Nothing.

I had to go to Target for something today and there was a big display of new DVDs and Wolf Creek 2 was one of them, and my response was basically "Huh, so that exists". I liked the original alright, despite its extremely problematic nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I like Wolf Creek 1 because problematic nature is dope.

• Locked thread