Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Section Z posted:

Classic X-Com Skull explosion pretty please you magical people.

A Rho version of this would be the most Starbound thing possible.

also the skull should have tits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Party Alarm posted:

Changing the way these status pods work. The white ones will be positive always. These, on the other hand, will have either a great reward or a terrible surprise.

Hey, I have a Status Pods mod right here, feel free to take anything you need from it. I think I have several unused recolored pod sprites in there, those should be useful.

Roundabout Route
Nov 4, 2009

Pens and swords can
go fuck themselves.
Just tossing in more somewhat-late thanks and appreciation to the Starbound team for making a fun game and letting us play it even though it's unfinished. It's a bit of a shame you gotta deal with people who don't understand the meaning of the word "Glitch". Goodness me that A.I. seems a bit off, why on Beta Aglafian II would that be the case? Let me consult my technological advisor, a robot who bangs rocks together. Beep boop beep. Hmm, yes, I see, apparently he needs 61 scissors.

Internet Man would be the worst superhero. He would be able to telepathically communicate with everyone at once, but would only be able to speak in wailing baby cries. Chucklefish, please give this superpower to random monster spawns with appropriate sound effects, thanks in advance.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

I was really bummed out by the game when I started, but getting back into it recently I think its only because I didn't stumble across ruins or castles or anything really. Just got really unlucky with barren planets.

Now i'm finding a whole lot of bird temples and its super fun

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

I Said No posted:

Hey, I have a Status Pods mod right here, feel free to take anything you need from it. I think I have several unused recolored pod sprites in there, those should be useful.

Thanks! That's going to save me a lot of time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Roundabout Route posted:

Internet Man would be the worst superhero.

You take that BACK! :argh:

Freakazoid was pretty okay.

EDIT: vvv Yeah, health maintenance in general was a super slog, if and when normal wildlife was not killing you in literal one or two hits anyways before you upgraded to the next tier of armor. Giant Hammer's knockback (when it wasn't flat out ignored) and killing things in two or three hits damage is why I was merely always running low on banana breads and bandages, as opposed to not having nearly enough.

I really hope the combat changes deal with the fact generic wildlife was vastly harder hitting than the bosses, or NPCS with guns before they scaled to the point their guns would kill your impervium wearing rear end in three seconds if you didn't have an otherwise useless shield, because a few hundred 1 damage bullets per second adds up fast.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 22, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I wish there were tier beds, like I know some beds heal faster than others, but once I had the best armor regular beds just weren't cutting it.

Something like an auto-doc that heals ulra-fast would be nice.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Pretty sure Tiy said tier beds were already in the nightlies or at least on the way

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Re: great hammers, I wish there were more weapons like bonehammers, as in, able to affect the surrounding ground. Maybe if this property was applied to all hammers? It was immensely satisfying to just bash your way into a cliff. :black101:

Fake edit: now that I think of it, that was probably because it sent out a ton of projectiles, and not because of the swing itself. Still, the effect was pretty memorable.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
:getin:

(WIP of course)

e: Almost done!

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 22, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

I knew it was Mildred I saw :unsmith:
Will play the heck outta whatever it is that you're modding into the game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Party Alarm posted:

:getin:

(WIP of course)

e: Almost done!

Yessssssssss.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Getting back into this game a bit. There are already a lot of mods, that's crazy. Lame question I know, but is there a list or consensus on a few basic must-have mods yet? I checked out some wikis and so on and didn't get a clear picture.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Not really. Go check a few pages back - I posted a mod pack in spoilertags. While I was still actually playing, it was pretty fun!

The server should still be up too.

e: New sprites on Desideratus's flare guns

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 22, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
So Bartwe has decided to leave development to those who could relocate to London.

Good luck to him I say.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

eonwe fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 26, 2014

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Not surprising, they mentioned how much it would help development, and it's tough when you're on a different time schedule from the majority of the team. It's one thing to be working around the country, it's another thing to be 6+ hours different and feel like you're alone a lot of the time. Plus focusing on your family, especially with a new baby, is hardly a bad thing.

Not shocked a bunch of terrible people are thinking it's a huge conspiracy though. I'm sure they feel some new people are pushing out the old guard and plan to take over the game and make it an FPS.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Eonwe posted:

Naturally this has spawned a bunch of :tinfoil: "WHAT ELSE ISN'T CHUCKLEHITLER TELLING US" posts.

I demand to be fully apprised of all details pertaining to Chucklefish Human Resources. It is my right as someone who gave you 20 bucks once.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

DemonMage posted:

Not surprising, they mentioned how much it would help development, and it's tough when you're on a different time schedule from the majority of the team. It's one thing to be working around the country, it's another thing to be 6+ hours different and feel like you're alone a lot of the time. Plus focusing on your family, especially with a new baby, is hardly a bad thing.

Not shocked a bunch of terrible people are thinking it's a huge conspiracy though. I'm sure they feel some new people are pushing out the old guard and plan to take over the game and make it an FPS.

Tiy, please announce plans to change Starbound into an FPS where all the characters are horses with tits. Using cum-guns. TIA

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

GodFish posted:

Tiy, please announce plans to change Starbound into an FPS where all the characters are horses with tits. Using cum-guns. TIA

StarBound: Colonia Jizzrines.

In real news, there was a wiring and lighting update today.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Roundabout Route posted:

Just tossing in more somewhat-late thanks and appreciation to the Starbound team for making a fun game and letting us play it even though it's unfinished. It's a bit of a shame you gotta deal with people who don't understand the meaning of the word "Glitch". Goodness me that A.I. seems a bit off, why on Beta Aglafian II would that be the case? Let me consult my technological advisor, a robot who bangs rocks together. Beep boop beep. Hmm, yes, I see, apparently he needs 61 scissors.

Is there no middle ground between saying "Hey! You guys are on the right track!" and "gently caress you! You owe me a great game!"

Seriously. Starbound as it exists is pretty okay. I'm not sad I spent $15 on it. But it doesn't feel complete. It's not experience where I need to thank someone for giving me such a great bargain or "letting" me buy their product. It's a good start by a promising company. The paying for beta is a thing now. I paid. I'm not sad about it. But, the game (as entertaining as it is) does not feel finished. It does not feel cohesive. Anyone saying that they need more is most likely correct.

The most you can argue against them is that they knew in advance that it is early access. However, this whole paying for beta phenomenon is the normal as of yet. So I can excuse someone who doesn't realize that this is what's happening when they buy starbound and who is then underwhelmed.

I personally think I've already had $15 worth of fun with the game, but the whole thing still felt like a test drive.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Tiy broke SA

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Tiy broke SA

What is he hiding! The Truth is out there!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Tiy broke SA

I'm doing a chargeback for the money I spent on this account 8 years ago.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So playing again some today and noticed the grappling hook uses energy. It also seems that using two grappling hooks at the same time is just an exercise in futility (probably due to said annoying energy usage).

As neat as it is to be able to fling yourself like a trebuchet stone, are there any mods that make the grappling hook more useful? Aside from the flinging ability, the grappling hook in Starbound just seems so lacking compared to Terraria. The Vine Whip (and dual hookshot) spoiled me forever. :(

Alternately: where the hell can I find the anti-grav tech? I had it a few builds ago but I have no idea where it was.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I was forum banned :(

Some guy made a topic entitled "How has Starbound taken over your life?" or some poo poo. This was unacceptable.

I stated "OP is a loving idiot." This was also unacceptable.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Dandywalken posted:

I was forum banned :(

Some guy made a topic entitled "How has Starbound taken over your life?" or some poo poo. This was unacceptable.

I stated "OP is a loving idiot." This was also unacceptable.

Ahahahahaha, it seems YOU are the loving idiot.
also, i cant find your post, nor the thread

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Someone making a thread about how they play a video game they like a lot? Unheard of! I can't stand for this injustice!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So...ummm...what happened to the updates? They used to be semi-frequent but I haven't heard anything about this game for a while now.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Someone making a thread about how they play a video game they like a lot? Unheard of! I can't stand for this injustice!

I couldnt. Saying "... has taken over your life" immediately reminded me of the horse-tits arguments, the poo poo-monster debates etc. It was too much. That people could take a game to such extremes was too much to comprehend on the spot. I shot up/poo poo up the thread.

ButtLord was my name on there, Cosby avatar.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 26, 2014

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Dandywalken posted:

I couldnt. Saying "... has taken over your life" immediately reminded me of the horse-tits arguments, the poo poo-monster debates etc. It was too much. That people could take a game to such extremes was too much to comprehend on the spot. I shot up/poo poo up the thread.

ButtLord was my name on there, Cosby avatar.

Yeah, thats a really lovely reason. You sir, deserve neither the butt name nor the Cosby avatar.
Turn in your badge and gun.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

So...ummm...what happened to the updates? They used to be semi-frequent but I haven't heard anything about this game for a while now.

There was a lull in work being done as the entire dev team moved to the same country and set up in a single office. Currently they are doing highly unstable nightly updates that you can opt into if you want to play with incredibly broken stuff. Lot of stuff going on right now such as rewrites to combat mechanics, Ship AI and upgradeable ship progression, the basic outline for the game's overall progression, Outposts, numerous changes to mobs and how they attack, fixes and updates to wiring and lighting.. basically a ton of poo poo going on but none of it stable enough for an actual patch release. That said when this becomes stable enough for a "public" release its going to be a massive patch.

They do daily updates on things they worked on that day on their website.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 26, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Richey posted:

Yeah, thats a really lovely reason. You sir, deserve neither the butt name nor the Cosby avatar.
Turn in your badge and gun.

If I could do it all again, I'd have used a racial slur instead.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

If I could do it all again, I'd have used a racial slur instead.

:frogout: /pol/ is that a way ->

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

The comments under that article are the reason why games should be developed in a secrecy and only announced when they go gold. :suicide:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Comments under the article are probably the real reason he left. If he has a family the last thing he needs is some crazy gently caress stalking his family because he didn't hit the stalker's personal deadline set as dictated by the :10bux: given for a pre-order.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Y'know what's more annoying than people who won't shut the gently caress up about their entitlement? People who won't shut the gently caress up about other people shutting the gently caress up. Idiots who comment angrily on blog posts thrive on attention, mostly from the people they are trying to be angry at, and being posted all over one of the few civil places gives them that attention. "Haha look at X forum being bad at community discussion!" can only be funny for so long before it starts stifling the people making fun of it because it's all they talk about inbetween mod developer posts.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 26, 2014

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Y'know what's more annoying than people who won't shut the gently caress up about their entitlement? People who won't shut the gently caress up about other people shutting the gently caress up. Idiots who comment angrily on blog posts thrive on attention, mostly from the people they are trying to be angry at, and being posted all over one of the few civil places gives them that attention. "Haha look at X forum being bad at community discussion!" can only be funny for so long before it starts stifling the people making fun of it because it's all they talk about inbetween mod developer posts.

Alright, pack it up everybody the Fun Police are here. Line up to be Internet Shamed for talking about jerks on the webs!

I think your point might be more valid if 1) The could see us talking about them here 2) They could see us talking about them in our chat and 3) It wasn't also just entitled babby whining on your part.

I hope this helped clear things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Welcome to Something Awful: The Internet makes you Stupid

Please leave your coat at the door.

• Locked thread