Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Umiapik posted:

So, we need to throw the bathwater out, keep the baby, put some new horses in the stable, then bolt the stable door. Hang on, do we leave the baby inside or outside of the stable?

The baby is put out to pasture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
You have two babies. You sell them both at a loss then sterilise yourself.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Private Eye posted:

I like the idea of raising the general scientific and mathematical literacy among the population, but someone who hates science and maths at 14 isn't suddenly going to like it by 17. Some people are just more artsy/ abstract than scientific or mathematical.

Finding a way to get more girls into the traditional STEMs might be a start, or making sure that kids have a thorough grounding in the maths and sciences at primary school to give them a platform to start with. I know secondary school science teachers whose main problem is the lack of english literacy (kids not knowing what basic words mean) rather than any innate inability to do science. Teaching kids about photosynthesis means nothing when they can't read the exam paper, or form sentences to answer with.

The answer probably isn't to force more kids to do maths and science for longer, but to teach maths and science better. Maths can be super interesting and inspirational but you don't learn that until university since all you get taught in school and college is trigonometry and calculus, and even then you only get told how to do it, and not why or for what.

I guarantee you'd see more students doing A-level maths if you taught things like proofs and applied maths for GCSE.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Gonzo McFee posted:

And what's the point of getting on the housing ladder if the government aren't going to artificially push up the price of your property via depleting stock?

The point is that you get an asset that gives you an untaxed yield in the form of imputed rent and whose value keeps pace with inflation in the long run. On top of that you get almost complete security of tenure and can mess with the property to your heart's content.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Anyone been reading about the Savile case?

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/nhs-and-department-of-health-investigations-into-jimmy-savile

Basically all of Savile's qualifications for the role he got at Broadmoor was that he hated unions and was a friend of Thatcher. Not even exaggeration. That's how Edwina Currie justifies it. Even if you take out the massive amounts of rape and abuse that he perpetrated that they claim not to have known about(lol), that's still massively corrupt.

You really start to get how he got away with it. I refuse to believe that those who put him in a position of power in those hospitals didn't know.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

thehustler posted:

Way too long to quote in full, but what do we think about this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-28002101

I remember stopping doing maths after my gcse's being a huge cause of celebration.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
God, the process for changing the address and name on my driving licence is ridiculously difficult. I'm struggling to figure out how the hell to do it. I have a passport with my new name on and an up to date photo, but apparently I have to include a photo in with my application, even though I've given them permission to check my digital passport with IPS AND my old photocard has my photo on too (same photo)

What the hell?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

thehustler posted:

What the hell?

Eugh. I have no constructive help to offer, but you have my full sympathy. They are without a doubt the worst government department I have ever had to deal with.

Edit: vv It's just bizarre isn't it. It almost reads like some gross parody - as if anyone actually does that!

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 26, 2014

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Gonzo McFee posted:

Anyone been reading about the Savile case?

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/nhs-and-department-of-health-investigations-into-jimmy-savile

Basically all of Savile's qualifications for the role he got at Broadmoor was that he hated unions and was a friend of Thatcher. Not even exaggeration. That's how Edwina Currie justifies it. Even if you take out the massive amounts of rape and abuse that he perpetrated that they claim not to have known about(lol), that's still massively corrupt.

You really start to get how he got away with it. I refuse to believe that those who put him in a position of power in those hospitals didn't know.

Turns out he liked to gently caress about with corpses, in many different ways, some of it actually being loving. He also said he took glass eyes from bodies and had them turned into jewellery.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Turns out he liked to gently caress about with corpses, in many different ways, some of it actually being loving. He also said he took glass eyes from bodies and had them turned into jewellery.

I remember back when his mother died there were a lot of rumours that the she had been dead for a week when he called to have her taken away from the caravan he lived in.

Although the more you read it's more "Things that were reported by staff and ignored because he's best mates with Thatcher." than rumours.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I said this nearer the time but that Irvine Welsh story is so scarily accurate. Totally ridiculous. Those coppers giving statements who laughed at the victims must have trouble looking in the mirror.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Jippa posted:

I said this nearer the time but that Irvine Welsh story is so scarily accurate. Totally ridiculous. Those coppers giving statements who laughed at the victims must have trouble looking in the mirror.

Anyone who ignores that sort of thing in the first place is probably sleeping just fine.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The Government have announced there will be no changes to civil partnership law, but that civil partnerships may be converted as of December 9, 2014.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jippa posted:

Wait, what?

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/irvine_welsh_on_jimmy_savile_was_savile_a_necrophiliac_then_or_what

Holy poo poo, so there is.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jippa posted:

I remember stopping doing maths after my gcse's being a huge cause of celebration.

I was the same way, until I started doing science with the OU and suddenly felt cheated of a proper mathematical education- if only alternate methods had been taught, if only the things I had been taught had also been taught with proper applications for them, I would have found out a decade earlier I was more than capable. Instead, I was made to feel like a big old thicky (not hard) who was incapable of maths because the idea of "complete these 20 questions from the textbook" bored the poo poo out of me.

thehustler posted:

God, the process for changing the address and name on my driving licence is ridiculously difficult. I'm struggling to figure out how the hell to do it. I have a passport with my new name on and an up to date photo, but apparently I have to include a photo in with my application, even though I've given them permission to check my digital passport with IPS AND my old photocard has my photo on too (same photo)

What the hell?

Ring them up and explain. One of the few government agencies where you might actually find someone competent- when I got my most recent car they kept losing the V5 form, one call sorted it.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah you have to be persistent, try about a dozen different contacts and menu choice combinations, and be prepared to get told to call different numbers that probably don't work, but you may eventually get through. I think they have 300 phone operators, but sometimes their hours are kooky. I've started thanking the operators and telling them how nice it is to speak to a human these days.

You should actually be able to do a lot of it online, although when I managed it the page told me I would need to send in a new photocard, then after that point it made no reference whatsoever as to how to do this, but luckily the person on the phone assured me it wasn't necessary. Also, don't lose part of your license before trying to change your details, because it's basically impossible to report a lost license when you have a different address, and you can't change your address without having your license details. You basically cause the entire DVLA to crash.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 26, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

DesperateDan posted:

I was the same way, until I started doing science with the OU and suddenly felt cheated of a proper mathematical education- if only alternate methods had been taught, if only the things I had been taught had also been taught with proper applications for them, I would have found out a decade earlier I was more than capable. Instead, I was made to feel like a big old thicky (not hard) who was incapable of maths because the idea of "complete these 20 questions from the textbook" bored the poo poo out of me.

I dunno, i think the idea of rote learning for maths works in some respects. Like, there are so many techniques that are built upon using another technique for part of it that being able to just churn through them like some kind of muscle memory helps.

It's why i kinda started to struggle at Maths when i went to uni. I went from highschool where we'd churn through 100+ examples of every technique (which scaled from easy to complex), to uni where we got 5 questions that ranged from Easy, Easy, Wall, Give Up, designed to make you ask about it in the tutorial.

Although it didn't help that in addition to this my lecturers had a bad habit of making us spend 60 minutes writing down all of their notes as they scrawled them across the blackboard in every class. Notes that glossed over the "basic" stepping stone stuff needed to figure a bigger problem out. So when it came to trying to learn how to do something for an exam (without the rote learning) you looked at your notes and were suddenly presented with a technique that was missing a few steps. :/

I loved maths in highschool, but my uni and the elitist "you better not be slow" attitude that seemed to be in the department really turned me off it.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I always thought maths should be taught the other way up - start 5 year olds with the most general things (sets, rings etc), and gradually work them up to the really specific stuff, finishing at age 18 with "and that's why 1+1=2". It would be less confusing* than constantly working towards generality by revealing the previous year's lies.

*Significantly more confusing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Kin posted:

I dunno, i think the idea of rote learning for maths works in some respects. Like, there are so many techniques that are built upon using another technique for part of it that being able to just churn through them like some kind of muscle memory helps.

It's why i kinda started to struggle at Maths when i went to uni. I went from highschool where we'd churn through 100+ examples of every technique (which scaled from easy to complex), to uni where we got 5 questions that ranged from Easy, Easy, Wall, Give Up, designed to make you ask about it in the tutorial.

Although it didn't help that in addition to this my lecturers had a bad habit of making us spend 60 minutes writing down all of their notes as they scrawled them across the blackboard in every class. Notes that glossed over the "basic" stepping stone stuff needed to figure a bigger problem out. So when it came to trying to learn how to do something for an exam (without the rote learning) you looked at your notes and were suddenly presented with a technique that was missing a few steps. :/

I loved maths in highschool, but my uni and the elitist "you better not be slow" attitude that seemed to be in the department really turned me off it.

Honestly this all seems like a good example of why rote learning is bad. Train kids to mechanically jump through the same hoops (and tough poo poo if that doesn't work for you), and when they reach a situation where they actually need to understand the fundamentals of what's happening, so they can apply their intelligence and actually do some thinking, they're stuck.

And forcing kids to do science and maths right up to university (whatever they're actually planning to study there) won't help if the teaching methods are already unsuitable. I did Maths and Further Maths at A level for god knows what reason (actually I got held hostage by a maths teacher when I was signing up), and really, if you weren't already getting it at GCSE level you're not going to suddenly become a STEM candidate by being forced to learn calculus by rote.

Maybe it's more of a plan to railroad people who were possibly going to escape into other subjects, like me

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Brown Moses posted:

Aide from the Jewellery these things as rumours, more like truth now have been known and passed about in Leeds for at least 20 years. I know Viz have been alluding to it and held back by lawyers from letters sent etc for at least that long. I got told years ago he wasn't alowwed anywhere near Jimmy's after about 1990 for the loving with corpses poo poo.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Learning stuff actually became fun once I was out of school and was no longer forced to do it.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LemonDrizzle posted:

It wouldn't make any sense to call someone ASBO - it's something that's imposed on people to prevent them from misbehaving, not something they are. It'd be like calling someone "restraining order" or "custodial sentence".

My street name is GBH :toughguy:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is that possible?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Is that possible?

Yeah Flamingo Land has some amazing bargains.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I once watched a chimpanzee eat its own faeces at Flamingo Land.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I once watched a chimpanzee eat its own faeces at Flamingo Land.

Fun house mirrors are a powerful trip.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Rude, offensive and possibly racist.

I prefer Lightwater Valley.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Rude, offensive and possibly racist.

I prefer Lightwater Valley.

I apologise to all poo poo eating Chimps for the comparison.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I can finally ride a giant rat to war

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Pissflaps posted:

Is that possible?

Yup. A national newspaper really can print that as a front page.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 27, 2014

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Bobstar posted:

I always thought maths should be taught the other way up - start 5 year olds with the most general things (sets, rings etc), and gradually work them up to the really specific stuff, finishing at age 18 with "and that's why 1+1=2". It would be less confusing* than constantly working towards generality by revealing the previous year's lies.

*Significantly more confusing

They tried this in the US (to a certain extent) in the '60s. There was a huge backlash, since the parents didn't understand what their kids were doing. They got rid of the idea after a few years and old people still laugh about how the hippies were trying to make sure that kids didn't know how to do multiplication (i.e. the same multiplication algorithm they learned in the '40s).

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

thehustler posted:

What the hell?

Can't you just fill out the change of address details on your paper licence? As I recall that's all I had to do when I changed my address a year or so ago. I don't remember having to send in a passport picture. I just had to send the paper copy and the card.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Whitefish posted:

Can't you just fill out the change of address details on your paper licence? As I recall that's all I had to do when I changed my address a year or so ago. I don't remember having to send in a passport picture. I just had to send the paper copy and the card.

If you're renewing they need a new photo if your old one is older than a certain number of years. Might be the same deal for address changes.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Whitefish posted:

I'm changing my name too so no ;(

My new name is already on my passport and the photo is only a few years old and it's a digital passport

thehustler fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jun 27, 2014

Whitefish
May 31, 2005

After the old god has been assassinated, I am ready to rule the waves.

thehustler posted:

I'm changing my name too so no ;(

My new name is already on my passport and the photo is only a few years old and it's a digital passport

Ah, I see.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

They tried this in the US (to a certain extent) in the '60s. There was a huge backlash, since the parents didn't understand what their kids were doing. They got rid of the idea after a few years and old people still laugh about how the hippies were trying to make sure that kids didn't know how to do multiplication (i.e. the same multiplication algorithm they learned in the '40s).
The funny thing about it is that, listening to Tom Lehrer's New Math, I realise that some of it stuck. The base 10 part of the song, at least, is how I learned to do subtraction back when I was a kid in the early 90s. I still can't really fathom the old method. I also learned a simplified version of long division, rather than the standard algorithm. Interestingly, still learned the standard algorithm for multiplication.

Working at Techniquest, we just had our yearly Mathemagic event aimed at Key Stage 3, and it's mostly an enrichment "stuff you won't encounter in school for a while yet" thing - game theory and probability, geometry of regular polyhedra, a bit of topology, in the form of various puzzles and games. It certainly gives them something a bit outside the standard curriculum to work with.

I do like to try and add some extra bits in where I can, whether I'm at Techniquest or tutoring. Take Pythagoras' Theorem: you can use it to explore and develop the idea of irrational numbers and surds using basic shapes (What's the length of the diagonal of a square? What's the perpendicular height of an equilateral triangle? Could I work out the area of an equilateral triangle, regular hexagon or octagon just from knowing one side length? Why is A-series paper the shape it is, and why can I get A3 by putting two bits of A4 together, or fold A4 in half to get A5?), or you can use it as the foundation stone of Cartesian geometry (how do I find the straight line distance between (x1,y1) and (x2,y2)? Can I name any whole-number points that would lie on a circle with a given centre and radius?). It'd be nice to see stuff like this get highlighted more (perhaps as extension material) when Pythagoras first gets taught, if nothing else. It'd give children more of an understanding of why it's so important.

haakman
May 5, 2011
Was that English?

Jesus, it's been a while since I've had to use any form of maths other than the basics. Some people, I guess, just aren't good at maths. Forcing a teenage me to do it until A-Level would have been just cruel.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

haakman posted:

Was that English?

Jesus, it's been a while since I've had to use any form of maths other than the basics. Some people, I guess, just aren't good at maths. Forcing a teenage me to do it until A-Level would have been just cruel.

I dreaded maths more than any subject at school it physically made my brain hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Carney unironically declaring that low interest rates are the new normal and will settle at around 2.5% in the medium/long term: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28053045

Cheap money for everybody forever!

• Locked thread