Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Yay the forums are back, now I can go back to being unproductive. Actually timing worked out good for forums to be down, spent most of Tuesday driving or running around fixing stuff and the hotel internet was spotty at best the past couple days.

The Germans sure know how to celebrate a football/soccer game. Since the computer building is mostly empty (and only one occupied office) they've setup a projector, surround sound, seating and two refrigerators full of beer. Have a table full of bratwurst to be cooked and a bunch of other stuff. The game is at 6 but the event starts at 2 and apparently last year several people were still partying the next morning. Should be a good time and my hotel is a 5 minute walk so I don't have to worry about driving.

Tusen Takk posted:

Should I buy Bioshock Infinite for $7.50 while it's on steamsale or should I pass it up?
Pretty good game for $7.50

CharlesM posted:

Have you played the other games? It's an okay game. I want to play the DLC.
I've heard the DLC is pretty terrible and tries to tie into Bioshock 1 in a convoluted way.

I was doing good not buying games this sale but I couldn't pass up Kerbal today. Have picked up a few <$2.50 games to gift and play as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Good lord. gently caress other automotive forums forever. Actually I was joined into a Facebook group about cars. So naturally I invited ryhno. Hilarity ensued.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

meatpimp posted:

Oh my god, I couldn't read past the part where he kept referring to delivering power to the non-driven wheels. :psyduck:

Ha ha ha haa, feel my pain!

KozmoNaut posted:

I have found exclusive footage of Lowtax fixing the forums:

I used to have that program. I set up my Mac to autorun it on boot to keep folks out of my computer. It worked surprisingly well.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Two break-ins a street over from me this week. The news is saying the guys involved in last night's all had guns and bats and were wearing FBI shirts.

Worked some OT last night to end a 13hr shift. I'm tired as poo poo right now.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand car got stolen last night. Awesome.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Preoptopus posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand car got stolen last night. Awesome.

Aww man that sucks, hope it gets found in one piece

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

freelop posted:

Aww man that sucks, hope it gets found in one piece

Well they smashed the mail box backing it out so not off to a good start.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/24/yarra-floods-southbank-as-high-winds-push-the-river-back-upstream i couldnt go outside because this was happening.

PS. My dad is kind of a redneck, am i the worst person in history for following his lead and just pouring used motor oil into the garden?

This is a really lovely thing to do environmentally. Really, really lovely. Nothing will grow in that spot until the oil washes away a few years down the line, and it then sinks down deeper and contaminates aquifers.

And that's coming from someone who has thrown gas and plastic on bonfires and uses cans of non-low-VOC brakleen with wild abandon.

KozmoNaut posted:

I have found exclusive footage of Lowtax fixing the forums:

Whoa dude, slow down, that is probably too modern.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
And this is why I make delayed database backups on a mirrored server.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not a huge fan of Android, but if this will let me run Torque and they come out with a unit that I can swap into my car, I'll throw a lot of money at it instead of having to mount a loving tablet in there

Vintersorg posted:

i guess there is this now too, android in your car

now someone photoshop a ford_engine.apk crash screen along with blood splatters

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I am pretty sure that is what happened, but apparently the coding to make it all work can be summed up as " :lol: radium"

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Android, but if this will let me run Torque and they come out with a unit that I can swap into my car, I'll throw a lot of money at it instead of having to mount a loving tablet in there
I have Torque and a tablet but really I just want to mount the tablet so I can set my screensaver to "DANGER TO MANIFOLD"

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Welp, I'm working towards buying a 2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback, I'm probably making a terribad mistake but have all my ducks in a row and did my homework. See you on the other side?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Welp, I'm working towards buying a 2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback, I'm probably making a terribad mistake but have all my ducks in a row and did my homework. See you on the other side?

Not the worst idea. I'd personally get the ST if I was buying anything but the Focus is a good car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KKKLIP ART posted:

I am pretty sure that is what happened, but apparently the coding to make it all work can be summed up as " :lol: radium"

Thanks Ronald Radium! Your legacy is intact.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

CommieGIR posted:

If anyone does not run backups this way they should not be in charge of backing up databases. I have hope that the datavail guys will get the DB into a much better place. I never worked directly with them, but they bought a company that I used to work for so I have faith in them. My old boss still works there and he says they have their poo poo together.

We really should get a backup plan together for when SA finally dies. We have enough tech guys here that I am sure we can run something better. I no longer work somewhere that I get free hosting, but I am sure we can get a deal through someone.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Why not an ST? They're in the same base price ballpark, and an ST with the ecoboost motor is far more AI than the flexfuel one. Foucses are good cars either way, so I'm sure you'll be happy regardless of which engine is in it.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

ssjonizuka posted:

It's not even a gender thing. Unless they are interested in taking care of their car, they won't take you seriously. Just have some vague idea of what you are talking about and be confident enough to not be a complete introvert and you will be fine. Good luck!

I'm a socially awkward tool. welp.

I also have an interview today at a different dealership for their Internet department, plus I had an interview yesterday for yet another dealership. I had a couple of interviews last week as well, but everyone is dragging their feet on making a decision. Even the retail jobs desperate for new staff are taking forever to get back to me because there's apparently so much bullshit involved with new hires. Goddamn.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Negromancer posted:

We really should get a backup plan together for when SA finally dies. We have enough tech guys here that I am sure we can run something better.

Something Less Awful

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Somethingauto.com

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
SomethingorsomebodyfindmygoddamnAcura.com

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

Even the retail jobs desperate for new staff are taking forever to get back to me because there's apparently so much bullshit involved with new hires. Goddamn.

There's so much bullshit involved any more its not even funny. I know my employer is struggling to get people to work for them, and its not even funny. A friends construction company he works at is struggling to get people as well. Where he works is paying 27 an hour starting to hang drywall. Seriously, 26 an hour, decent benefits, and they can't get a person to work for them because its "manual labor".

For the record: I live in Des Moines, 26 an hour is pretty respectable, and the cost of living here is reasonably priced. So its not paying to low.

Edit: Facebook does not work well to make threads. The software gets all funky.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Viper_3000 posted:

Why not an ST? They're in the same base price ballpark, and an ST with the ecoboost motor is far more AI than the flexfuel one. Foucses are good cars either way, so I'm sure you'll be happy regardless of which engine is in it.

I've looked into both and I can justify a fully loaded Titanium as I was able to get it down to 20k w/ all features that I want/desire off of a 26k MSRP. The other local dealers can give me an ST similarly loaded for 23.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 26, 2014

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
STR already bought automotivesanity.com a couple of days ago, just in case the forums never came back.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

:smithicide:

I would totally be with a backup forum, just in case SA goes down forever. The switchover could be done pretty easily.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I think I had a backup phpbb one from Katrina era downtime, but it wasn't really the same.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Just had someone get mad at me in a craigslist email for offering $80 for a trunk/spoiler that he listed for $100. "If I wanted to negotiate I wouldn't have priced it dirt cheap" Who the gently caress uses craigslist and expects to get paid exactly what you list your item for, especially when the ad has been up for two months. He said someone offered him 75 for the just the spoiler so Im like "Well, I guess youre better off doing that then" and he said "I don't want to sell just the wing or it would have been gone I want the trunk and spoiler gone in one shot." and then eventually tried to get me to buy just the wing for $80, I guess that price was okay. Sorry pal Im not budging.

Sorry for an entire paragraph on craigslist.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

BrokenKnucklez posted:

There's so much bullshit involved any more its not even funny. I know my employer is struggling to get people to work for them, and its not even funny. A friends construction company he works at is struggling to get people as well. Where he works is paying 27 an hour starting to hang drywall. Seriously, 26 an hour, decent benefits, and they can't get a person to work for them because its "manual labor".

For the record: I live in Des Moines, 26 an hour is pretty respectable, and the cost of living here is reasonably priced. So its not paying to low.

Edit: Facebook does not work well to make threads. The software gets all funky.

I'm tired of the places that desperately need employees but still take two weeks to a month to call back. I'm used to working in restaurants where you'll start the next day if you can fog up a mirror.

I was interviewed by three people today and now I'm waiting to hear from the fourth person who needs to interview me for a job, and then I'll have to fill out a ton of paperwork for a background check and do a drug test and and and

I just want to work so I can stop sitting around all day. I'm not being completely worthless because I've been spending most of my time applying to jobs, going to interviews, babysitting and doing housework, but I'd like to get back to work.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

goatse guy posted:

I just want to work so I can stop sitting around all day. I'm not being completely worthless because I've been spending most of my time applying to jobs, going to interviews, babysitting and doing housework, but I'd like to get back to work.

You know as often as I say "I would love to have like a whole month to gently caress around" I go bonkers after having a couple of days off. Maybe its because work is so ingrained into my head (I have held a job since I was 14), or something? I do take time to go out and gently caress around with my vehicles, but that loses its luster after a day or two. I go ape poo poo if I have a week of vacation bunched together.

But why I wanna be at work all the time? I have no idea.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You know as often as I say "I would love to have like a whole month to gently caress around" I go bonkers after having a couple of days off. Maybe its because work is so ingrained into my head (I have held a job since I was 14), or something? I do take time to go out and gently caress around with my vehicles, but that loses its luster after a day or two. I go ape poo poo if I have a week of vacation bunched together.

This exactly, i was so happy when i got fired at my last job for a bullshit reason. Sat at home getting unemployment but I honestly hated the feeling like a worthless pile of poo poo. I think its society. I should move to spain.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

It gives you something to do? Usually the first week of vacation is fun but after that I always find myself lost and I don't know what to do.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have four trillion very time consuming projects going at once so any spare time is easily sucked up working on them.

Too bored with one or waiting for parts? I work on another.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

I have four trillion very time consuming projects going at once so any spare time is easily sucked up working on them.

Too bored with one or waiting for parts? I work on another.

That was the only thing I miss about owning a house. I always found that it was the lawn being mowed, or fixing a few items around the house, or working on another project. And every thing was relatively cheap to fix. Car projects are fun, but every once and a while you hit that wall of where you need to wait for parts or want to build up some cash to fix something.

Build a fire pit in the back yard? Hell just a few hours with a shovel and cheap block at 50 bucks to do the whole thing, why not?

But other than that, I hated home ownership.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, I think the house repairs I've done this week cost me a grand total of like, $100 in materials. Had to jack the whole wall up, but it was only a couple bags of mortar at 5 bucks a sack, a 35 dollar pressure treated 6x6, a 40 dollar roll of copper/plastic flashing, and some 3/4 pressure treated ply.

Cheapest, most time consuming repairs ever.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sold my e30 to Gabe Newell <truestory.jpg>

Keeping my fingers crossed that all the financing works out and I'll know next week if we are getting the house we are trying to buy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Same here, after a few days I just get bored. I spread out my vacation days by just taking a fri/mon off to get a long weekend. Enough time to relax or get some projects done. I was surprised, apparently in Europe it's pretty common to take all your vacation at once or in two long breaks. Guy I'm filling in for is taking his 5 weeks...wtf do you do for 5 weeks.

Company used to give a month long sabbaticals after so many years (20?). Dad bought some land before it started then spent the whole time camping and built a cabin. I could see doing something like that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Teach your kids not to be stupid when they have a car full of friends. Local kid driving his 4 friends, loving flying down a country road and... oh yeah, hit a tree sideways. Tore the car in half and killed the three that were in the backseat...

blk
Dec 19, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Teach your kids not to be stupid when they have a car full of friends. Local kid driving his 4 friends, loving flying down a country road and... oh yeah, hit a tree sideways. Tore the car in half and killed the three that were in the backseat...

What kind of car?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blk posted:

What kind of car?

From the helicopter shots, it looked like a lower-end infiniti sedan, maybe a G20 or maybe a little larger.

Nope: Mitsubishi Diamante. Terrible car to die in.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Pretty good game for $7.50

I've heard the DLC is pretty terrible and tries to tie into Bioshock 1 in a convoluted way.
The two DLCs attempt to wrap up some loose ends, and do a reasonable job of it, and I'd say are worth playing for some background on various things if you're the kind of person who likes that. But yes, it is pretty convoluted.

• Locked thread