Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Insects are usually green (most insects) or black (insects associated with poison or decomposition), right? (Or occasionally red for things like fire ants.) Which color are non-poisonous flying insects meant to be without upsetting the almighty color pie?

Black? Hornet Queen being black makes perfect sense mechanically. You even said it yourself, black is associated with poisonous insects and Hornet Queen has deathtouch.

One of green's weaknesses is that while it has the biggest creatures, it also has the worst evasion. If green can't win on the ground it's supposed to have a hard time winning. Giving green a highly evasive creature (6 power spread over 5 bodies with flying and deathtouch) completely eliminates that weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kabanaw posted:

Black? Hornet Queen being black makes perfect sense mechanically. You even said it yourself, black is associated with poisonous insects and Hornet Queen has deathtouch.

One of green's weaknesses is that while it has the biggest creatures, it also has the worst evasion. If green can't win on the ground it's supposed to have a hard time winning. Giving green a highly evasive creature (6 power spread over 5 bodies with flying and deathtouch) completely eliminates that weakness.

While I am sympathetic to your cause I am not sure a Hornet Queen fits into the black part of the color pie, she creates little baby tokens and nurtures them which doesn't fit with the colors morals and pursuits. Perhaps Hamster Queen would be better? It has babies but then eats them when it comes into play. This would also keep flying out of black which it doesn't frequently see on its insects.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Whoa, does that see sideboard play in Legacy? It feels like it should.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Gyshall posted:

What about Birds of Paradise?

That's really basically a Time Walk though, completely different.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Vomax posted:

Maybe he just really hates hornets? Hornet Sting earned his ire as well.

Maro doesn't hate green fliers, Maro hates green direct damage, which Hornet Sting is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is it really worth squabbling over the colour pie and whether or not Birds being green violates the colour pie when every single colour just got a 6/6 for 6, a fact that takes a big steaming dump on this argument?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The biggest issue with breaking the color pie is that it allows people to play fewer colors than the might otherwise to mitigate their weaknesses. Breaking it can be fine in small doses, but I agree with MaRo trying to be as hardline as possible since things will slip in no matter what. There's already a lot of bleeding between colors anyway, especially in eternal formats where there are already color pie violators or cards that used to fit the color pie but don't now due to shifts in design philosophy.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is it really worth squabbling over the colour pie and whether or not Birds being green violates the colour pie when every single colour just got a 6/6 for 6, a fact that takes a big steaming dump on this argument?

No it... doesn't...? what

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
And moths are white for some reason, excpet for Hawkeater Moth.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Every colour has been able to get big X/X creatures for X at high rarities forever now. It's at common and uncommon where it really matters that green has bigger creatures than anyone else.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Kabanaw posted:

I don't think giving green a decent flier for 7 mana completely eliminates the weakness of having no cheaper fliers, honestly.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Venomous :eng99:

Also I'm far too excited to get Hornet Queen in M15.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Bugsy posted:

And moths are white for some reason, excpet for Hawkeater Moth.

Moths like light, so that makes perfect sense.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

mcmagic posted:

Ummm slightly worse Oblivion Stone.
It's good against Bogles? :shrug:

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Obligatory burn spell go!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
That would be pretty good if young pyro got reprinted.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Entropic posted:

Whoa, does that see sideboard play in Legacy? It feels like it should.
It sees play to the point where entire decks are named after it (Delver). Because it's a 3/2 flyer for 1.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Mortimer posted:

The color pie is dumb.
A green creature having flying isn't the end of magic, :spergin:

It's actually extremely important, color identity is critical to shaping the game and the play experience.

How many times have you, without thinking much about it, saw a Mountain come down on the other side of the table and thought "crap, now I might get burned out"? Or an Island and thought "crap, missed my chance to resolve that spell"?

Color is the language of magic and ignoring the color pie completely would be a terrible mistake.

Maro does fight over the wrong issues sometimes though, I agree. I don't think the occasional flying green creature, especially at 7CMC and Rare, is going to hurt the game.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Minority Deport posted:

That "Your creatures can help you cast the spell" just makes me think of everyone dancing in unison to cast this stuff. And that would honestly make for some stylish spell casting.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The color pie would be meaningful if it was a robust piece of game theory worked on and then given to a new development team who used it to form a concrete foundation.

As is there are so many baffling and absurd recent exceptions they obviously don't attend to it or care about it, it's just something they throw out that people fight about like power levels or comic book style who wins in a fight.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Minority Deport posted:

Convoke isn't great in aggro decks...

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

While I agree that this is indeed an insect the important thing is that its a Human Insect; Delver of Secrets is legendary for being an allegory towards Die Verwandlung, better known as The Metamorphosis, a popular Novella by famous absurdist Franz Kafka. Thematically the aberration is meant to evoke revulsion, and when destroying Delver players you are meant to experience the relief that the Samsa family feels when Gregor dies

Its the most literary provocative Legacy deck that requires you to experience self examination while you sign your match slip.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Gyshall posted:

What about Birds of Paradise?

drat I'm at work so I don't have my image to refer to...is this on the MTG Bingo Sheet?!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

While I agree that this is indeed an insect the important thing is that its a Human Insect; Delver of Secrets is legendary for being an allegory towards Die Verwandlung, better known as The Metamorphosis, a popular Novella by famous absurdist Franz Kafka. Thematically the aberration is meant to evoke revulsion, and when destroying Delver players you are meant to experience the relief that the Samsa family feels when Gregor dies

Its the most literary provocative Legacy deck that requires you to experience self examination while you sign your match slip.

Ah, yes, I can see the metaphor in full effect when my sword wielding mother promptly burns Gregor after smacking my opponent in the face.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Minority Deport posted:

This is really cool. Four damage for 4 mana isn't a bad rate, and the convoke can definitely be useful when you're in a board stall and just need to burn them out. Seems kind of like a fixed Fireblast in that it's a 4 damage burn spell that doesn't necessarily need mana.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

This is really cool. Four damage for 4 mana isn't a bad rate, and the convoke can definitely be useful when you're in a board stall and just need to burn them out. Seems kind of like a fixed Fireblast in that it's a 4 damage burn spell that doesn't necessarily need mana.

It's also an instant, so you can play defensive properly while still making full use of it. That might not be red's traditional best place to be at, but it still works very well overall.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zemyla posted:

It sees play to the point where entire decks are named after it (Delver). Because it's a 3/2 flyer for 1.

I'd swear when I clicked quote on that it was a link to Seedtime. Or I just quoted the wrong post.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Convoke isn't great in aggro decks...

worth noting that it lets you cast a cheap creature and then tap it immediately to help the burn spell.

That said, yeah, I don't think it's good enough for constructed. Very nice in limited, though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Entropic posted:

I'd swear when I clicked quote on that it was a link to Seedtime. Or I just quoted the wrong post.

You quoted the wrong post. :p.

I have a shiny Seedtime I'm considering throwing it in my Jund sideboard as a 1-of. Also with Hidetsugu's Second Rite because I hate intelligent deck building. I figure with Grove and Punishing Fire I can get their life to 10 in either direction. I only need to do it once and I'll take it out and never use it again.

Inspired by this video. The last game is the best thing.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 26, 2014

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Minority Deport posted:

drat, between this and Raise the Alarm my RW token burn deck is going to be insane in super standard.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Minority Deport posted:

This card will be dope as hell in boros. RR for 4 damage is good.

E: Also always gonna call this spell "Stroke the flames"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

While I agree that this is indeed an insect the important thing is that its a Human Insect; Delver of Secrets is legendary for being an allegory towards Die Verwandlung, better known as The Metamorphosis, a popular Novella by famous absurdist Franz Kafka.

I thought it was referencing The Fly (the film, probably the Cronenberg one, although there have been others IIRC), considering Innistrad's whole classic horror theme.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Serperoth posted:

I thought it was referencing The Fly (the film, probably the Cronenberg one, although there have been others IIRC), considering Innistrad's whole classic horror theme.

You are correct.

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/78120015357/hey-its-my-bday-and-i-have-always-loved-delver-of

quote:

darkspace3000 said: Hey it's my bday, and I have always loved Delver of Secrets, is their any cool facts about delver?

It was based on the movie “The Fly”. I didn’t think the insect part was going to make it all the way through, so I was happy when it did.

Happy birthday!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Serperoth posted:

rabidsquid made a pretty good post and i'd appreciate if you would not do this.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

rabidsquid posted:

Delver of Secrets isn't the only Human Insect anymore.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Zemyla posted:

Delver of Secrets isn't the only Human Insect anymore.

cue pedantic reply about changeling

OpinionCushion
May 6, 2002
It doesn't look like an ice sculpture.... OR DOES IT??
A bit late to this but I'm pretty sure Maro said he's ok with a small amount of flying in green.

Edit for quote: "Green does flying very infrequently and of the five colors is a distant fifth at flying."

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/74986451735/

OpinionCushion
May 6, 2002
It doesn't look like an ice sculpture.... OR DOES IT??
whoops

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Samael posted:

Preeminent Captain is in M15. Soldier Tribal anyone? Lavinia and Palisade Giant seem like fun targets.

Was chatting with a friend about him. I *think* you can cast Captain turn 3, attack on 4 using him to cheat in Brimaz, but I don't know if Brimaz would then create an attacking token in that instance or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Evil Badman posted:

Was chatting with a friend about him. I *think* you can cast Captain turn 3, attack on 4 using him to cheat in Brimaz, but I don't know if Brimaz would then create an attacking token in that instance or not.

I don't think so.

• Locked thread