Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

It doesn't work for the Youtube app, champ

Sorry, CHAMP, I guess use a computer or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

evil spiff posted:

Sorry, CHAMP, I guess use a computer or something

Thanks, BUDDY. While I appreciate advice I also prefer it when the person giving it knows what they're talking about. Weird, I know

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

Thanks, BUDDY. While I appreciate advice I also prefer it when the person giving it knows what they're talking about. Weird, I know

No problem, GUY, then don't ask the internet next time.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

evil spiff posted:

No problem, GUY, then don't ask the internet next time.

Thanks for the advice, CHIEF. Lesson learned.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Funkmaster General posted:

There aren't any! Full QWERTY keyboard onscreen is the best-feeling option, but it's horribly slow. Then you've got Sony's old-school cell phone keyboard, which sucks, and the weird keyboard wheel thing, which also sucks. There's the one-line keyboard the youtube and twitch apps use which manages to somehow be slower than a full keyboard, and... what else? Some kind of Kinect thing? Predictive text or something?

I recognize that not everyone has the same text-entry preferences (some people seem to think swype is a good keyboard), but none of these seem like very good options to me. A full-size USB keyboard is too bulky for general use on a console IMO. The chatpad felt like the best solution to me. Smartglass works alright, too, though.

PS4 has a system with a pointer and you move around the cursor with the controller using the gyros. It works reasonably well, though you're maybe only 10-20% faster than typing with the controller normally.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Steam radial menu is pretty fast once you get good. It's like T9 sorta.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
You can buy the Killer Instinct sabre character for 99 cents at the moment through deals with gold, I had some money left over and couldn't see a reason not to. I imagine I'll buy the full thing once season two comes out. I can beat the arcade version on easy, the last couple of fights are the absolute limit of my ability.

I'm tempted to buy that 60 second shooter game.

Game with gold July prediction: yolocycle.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

No posts about the Beyond Good & Evil on-screen keyboard, shameful gamers itt

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Theres a good b-roll video of forza horizon 2 here at 1080p, http://news.xbox.com/api/mediacart/download/8202a5a333ff46c59c6e3ac08098b499

Some chat about the dynamic in game world http://ca.ign.com/videos/2014/06/25/exploring-forza-horizon-2s-dynamic-world-ign-first

Looks absolutely awesome.

Four new indie games this week. http://news.xbox.com/2014/06/games-four-new-idxbox-games-launching?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Contrast joins Outlast from last week in the growing list of titles announced which ignore the parity clause. Seems like that's done with then!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You'd think one more public 180 wouldn't mean much to them, but I guess this is probably the single shittiest policy of this whole thing and they don't want to highlight it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You'd think one more public 180 wouldn't mean much to them, but I guess this is probably the single shittiest policy of this whole thing and they don't want to highlight it.

It makes sense why they'd do it, even if it's not a good idea. They wanted exclusives or at least first stab. We saw what, 5-6 actual console exclusives between both Sony and Microsoft at this past E3?

Also, I doubt most gamers know or care about the indie clause. It's a little too much in the "how the sausage is made" part of games.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Think I saw that ryse was on the games with gold sale. Still about £35 though so not cheap enough to tempt me.

Had there been any news on what the free games for next month will be?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I got some of the Polk 4Shot headphones cheap (60% off for the tan/blue colorway) and they arent that fantastic sounding. OK for a spare set but my friends cheap Turtle Beach headphones sound better.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Fake Name posted:

Think I saw that ryse was on the games with gold sale. Still about £35 though so not cheap enough to tempt me.

Yeah, I was hoping that Ryse would be a free game in the next few months with the GWG program, but yeah I guess not. That game is pretty fun and not at all worth 50 bucks. I was loving shocked that they were still charging that much. I feel like you could get it used for like 40.

Edit - its 27 used on Amazon

Edit 2 - has anyone played that RBI Baseball game? I could go for an arcadey baseball game

Edit 3 - gently caress, apparently RBI came out a few months ago on last gen systems and was terrible

\/\/\/\/ Well there will be 2 games. I kinda want to play Lococycle just to see how bad it is. They will also release that horrible Kinect fighting game at some point and I am also looking forward to that travesty

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 26, 2014

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Fake Name posted:

Best answer would be Super Time Force. Most likely answer is LocoCycle.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, I was hoping that Ryse would be a free game in the next few months with the GWG program, but yeah I guess not. That game is pretty fun and not at all worth 50 bucks. I was loving shocked that they were still charging that much. I feel like you could get it used for like 40.

Edit 2 - has anyone played that RBI Baseball game? I could go for an arcadey baseball game

Edit 3 - gently caress, apparently RBI came out a few months ago on last gen systems and was terrible

\/\/\/\/ Well there will be 2 games. I kinda want to play Lococycle just to see how bad it is. They will also release that horrible Kinect fighting game at some point and I am also looking forward to that travesty

$27 is a little over what I'd pay for Ryse, to be honest. It looks beautiful and all, but from what I hear it's a fairly short button masher with repetitive gameplay. Sounds like a rental I'd play with a friend and a case of beer one Friday night, not something I'd play around with for a couple weeks straight. $19.99, tops.

Are they still offering two games? Someone said they were going down to one a month. Maybe that 1001 Spikes will be one of the Gold deals. I'm kind of interested in playing it, but not $15 interested.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

mysterious frankie posted:

$27 is a little over what I'd pay for Ryse, to be honest. It looks beautiful and all, but from what I hear it's a fairly short button masher with repetitive gameplay. Sounds like a rental I'd play with a friend and a case of beer one Friday night, not something I'd play around with for a couple weeks straight. $19.99, tops.

Are they still offering two games? Someone said they were going down to one a month. Maybe that 1001 Spikes will be one of the Gold deals. I'm kind of interested in playing it, but not $15 interested.

As far as I know, they are sticking with 2 games per month. But I dont know that for sure I guess. Edit - googling suggests that the 1 game per month thing is just a rumor and is entirely unconfirmed either way. I guess we will find out in a few days.

And you are correct about the price of Ryse. I found it to be really fun, but its not worth anywhere near 60. Some people might get $30-$40 worth of fun out of it if they enjoy multiplayer. The single player is 5ish hours so 20 or 25 seems fair.

It has a tech demo feel to it. Its a fantastic looking game but the depth is minimal. They should have put more effort into the multiplayer but its pretty thin too. You can get 10 hours of fun out of the whole game pretty easily but thats about it. So whatever 10 total hours is worth to you, thats the price you should feel comfortable paying

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 26, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The XBone Games With Gold for July are Max and the Curse of Brotherhood (still) and Guacamelee. Straight to free with that one.

The 360's games are Gotham City Impostors and Battle Block Theatre. BBT is pretty good, comes with a level creator and such.

http://majornelson.com/2014/06/26/xbox-live-games-with-gold-for-july-2014/

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The XBone Games With Gold for July are Max and the Curse of Brotherhood (still) and Guacamelee. Straight to free with that one.

The 360's games are Gotham City Impostors and Battle Block Theatre. BBT is pretty good, comes with a level creator and such.

Guacamelee is a really great game to get free.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Laserface posted:

I got some of the Polk 4Shot headphones cheap (60% off for the tan/blue colorway) and they arent that fantastic sounding. OK for a spare set but my friends cheap Turtle Beach headphones sound better.

Yeah not surprised they were heavily discounted after that mic fiasco. I got the official MS ones for $50 from Best Buy recently. The deal through Newegg where you used google wallet and iOS app to purchase for $36 seems like a no brainer if y'all haven't bought the stereo adapter yet

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

That's pretty uninspiring, though admittedly I'd be excited about Guacamelee if I didn't have it on pc already. I guess I can get a precious achievement for starting it up, walking three feet, then turning it back off.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well, hopefully the "let's swap out one game a month" thing isn't the norm for Xbone.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

They need to get emulation working, because then they could just hand out free 360 games every month, which would make me happy, but probably annoy a lot of people who owned a 360 already, but I don't care, because I am ultimately a very selfish person.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

They need to get emulation working, because then they could just hand out free 360 games every month, which would make me happy, but probably annoy a lot of people who owned a 360 already, but I don't care, because I am ultimately a very selfish person.

Given one of their cornerstone releases for the year is a re-master of Halo 2 and re-release of Halos 1-4, I would not expect backwards compatibility anytime soon.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Both of those 360 games are fantastic. Well worth full price for either, though Imposters probably doesn't have too much of a playerbase left (it will now, though!).

I'm not pleased with the precedent being set with a second month of Max, but given the relative lack of options, I can understand it. Especially when the other option is a brand new release for the console and a pretty good game besides. I hope this becomes a trend, sinmilarly to how PS+ has been giving away free indie games at launch.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Ok they really need to reconsider their deals if you can buy the game cheaper from Amazon when it's not on sale there.

It kind of defeats the aim of the games for gold thing which should reward you for subscribing :(

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

MrBond posted:

Given one of their cornerstone releases for the year is a re-master of Halo 2 and re-release of Halos 1-4, I would not expect backwards compatibility anytime soon.

Supposedly, 360 emulation is one project they're actively working on, but yeah, it'll be awhile before they figure out how to make it functional.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Supposedly, 360 emulation is one project they're actively working on, but yeah, it'll be awhile before they figure out how to make it functional.

I wouldn't hold my breath; the fact that the current-gen consoles have a significantly slower clock speed may make this completely impossible. Maybe they could get it working for a few specific games, depending on how they're programmed, but it's likely easier to just make an HD remake of most games, barring circumstances like "we lost the source code" or something like that.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

univbee posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath; the fact that the current-gen consoles have a significantly slower clock speed may make this completely impossible. Maybe they could get it working for a few specific games, depending on how they're programmed, but it's likely easier to just make an HD remake of most games, barring circumstances like "we lost the source code" or something like that.

I get what you mean with this but it's kind of silly to call remakes of last gen's games, which are already in HD, "HD remakes"

but it's gonna happen anyways

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Many of those games are sub 720p and therefore not really HD. A 1080p rerelease of Halo 3 for instance is an actual HD update.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Many of those games are sub 720p and therefore not really HD. A 1080p rerelease of Halo 3 for instance is an actual HD update.

oh the humanity

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

No you see the upscaler makes it 1080p to my TV. Every game is 1080p :downs:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I exist in 1080p.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

oh the humanity

I'm not sure what this reaction is about.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
It is mildly amusing though. The Xbox 360 and PS3 are credited as ushering in the HD era, but if you want to be technical about it, the only thing HD about them are their menu screens.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

univbee posted:

In theory they cooooould make a 360 vm, but who even knows at this point.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

I could believe it for a 2016 or 2017 feature when 360 sales are basically nil but for now it doesn't seem like a thing they'd be in a big hurry to accomplish.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

They can't even really do that, though, and not just because a VM requires the same sort of processor (for a more recent example, you can hack together a "hackintosh" VM unofficially, but only if you have an Intel processor; you're generally SOL if you have an AMD, and those have more in common than the 360 and One processors). The Xbox One has a 1.75 GHz clock after the various boosts they did while the 360 does 3.2 GHz when it's not multithreaded (half that when it is). This is a problem if something is clock speed dependent, for example some linear instructions don't benefit from multiple cores because each instruction has to be be completed in order; you can't have 4 steps done by 4 cores if step 1 has to be finished before step 2 even starts, which has to finish before step 3 etc. For a long time even some software like AutoCAD would similarly not benefit from multicore systems and you were better off getting a fast single core for those (not sure if this is still the case). If you set out to make an Xbox 360 game and an Xbox One game, the latter will always be better, but largely because you're coding it completely differently to cater to its strengths (multiple cores) and bypass its weaknesses (slower per-core than the old console). The Last Of Us devs talked at length about the crazy stuff they had to do to get the game working at all on PS4 since everything was coded specifically to PS3; even getting a low framerate sequence with no effects that crashed after 30 seconds was a positive sign for a long time.

And that's assuming you get the full speed in emulation relative to the host, which never happens. The Xbox 360's 3.2 GHz couldn't quite do the full performance of the original Xbox's 733 MHz processor; a few games experience varying degrees of slowdown compared to the original console. The PS2, similarly, isn't even 300 MHz, but its software-emulated library on PS3 is very tiny, largely because Sony flat-out can't get a lot of games working acceptably.

And, ultimately, this is to deal with a problem you can more cost-effectively solve as a consumer by getting a cheap 360 (haven't some stores fire saled Arcade units for under $60 you could plug a $10 16 gig USB key into?)

Sony has the same problem right now, maybe there'll be an expanded download-only PS2 library on PS4 at some point; they have an interesting solution for PS3 games via the streaming service although the prices on it are pretty poo poo right now. If that doesn't improve when the service properly goes live I suspect the service will be DOA.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

univbee posted:

They can't even really do that, though, and not just because a VM requires the same sort of processor (for a more recent example, you can hack together a "hackintosh" VM unofficially, but only if you have an Intel processor; you're generally SOL if you have an AMD, and those have more in common than the 360 and One processors). The Xbox One has a 1.75 GHz clock after the various boosts they did while the 360 does 3.2 GHz when it's not multithreaded (half that when it is). This is a problem if something is clock speed dependent, for example some linear instructions don't benefit from multiple cores because each instruction has to be be completed in order; you can't have 4 steps done by 4 cores if step 1 has to be finished before step 2 even starts, which has to finish before step 3 etc. For a long time even some software like AutoCAD would similarly not benefit from multicore systems and you were better off getting a fast single core for those (not sure if this is still the case). If you set out to make an Xbox 360 game and an Xbox One game, the latter will always be better, but largely because you're coding it completely differently to cater to its strengths (multiple cores) and bypass its weaknesses (slower per-core than the old console). The Last Of Us devs talked at length about the crazy stuff they had to do to get the game working at all on PS4 since everything was coded specifically to PS3; even getting a low framerate sequence with no effects that crashed after 30 seconds was a positive sign for a long time.

And that's assuming you get the full speed in emulation relative to the host, which never happens. The Xbox 360's 3.2 GHz couldn't quite do the full performance of the original Xbox's 733 MHz processor; a few games experience varying degrees of slowdown compared to the original console. The PS2, similarly, isn't even 300 MHz, but its software-emulated library on PS3 is very tiny, largely because Sony flat-out can't get a lot of games working acceptably.

And, ultimately, this is to deal with a problem you can more cost-effectively solve as a consumer by getting a cheap 360 (haven't some stores fire saled Arcade units for under $60 you could plug a $10 16 gig USB key into?)

Sony has the same problem right now, maybe there'll be an expanded download-only PS2 library on PS4 at some point; they have an interesting solution for PS3 games via the streaming service although the prices on it are pretty poo poo right now. If that doesn't improve when the service properly goes live I suspect the service will be DOA.

Yeah, I kind of realized how stupid my post was after hitting submit, but left it. Ninja edits are the coward's way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

univbee posted:

This is an outstanding post.

• Locked thread