Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

BigFactory posted:

Threaten to switch to comcast. It will still end up being too much money though.

Yeah, everything I'm looking at for any provider really tries to cram the poo poo out of the service packages.
I don't get it tho', why insist that I pay less for them to provide 'more'? I can't make any sense out of the benefit of saying 'Internet, phone AND cable will cost $120 but if you want internet only it'll be $135'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

iostream.h posted:

Yeah, everything I'm looking at for any provider really tries to cram the poo poo out of the service packages.
I don't get it tho', why insist that I pay less for them to provide 'more'? I can't make any sense out of the benefit of saying 'Internet, phone AND cable will cost $120 but if you want internet only it'll be $135'.

$135 for just internet? :psyduck:

Where the hell do you live?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

1. My wife works from home sometimes so we need a home phone as our cell signal kinda sucks. Since canceling our triple play comcast package to go to a Double play dramatically increases the phone price, what is the best option out there?

Who is your cell provider? You might be able to get a femtocell which would solve your signal problem while possibly being cheaper than a third phone line.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

3. Is there anywhere I can actually watch a show live?

There's some apps for the Roku (like Nowhere TV) that have live TV news from all over the US at certain points of the day. Some news channels also have their own streaming apps as well.

Pillowpants posted:

I spend $180 a month on a triple play, cutting cable to make it a double play will end up as $110 a month, but i want to cut the phone pricing more.

You could get a magicjack PLUS for a onetime fee of ~$50 and just have the internet through Comcast. If you had the triple play that means you're phone signal was already backfed through the house most likely so that wouldn't be a hassle to switch over as it would be if you were using POTS.

You may notice a tiny bit of delay on the voice quality but it hasn't been an issue really. Also, the magicjack app makes things more convenient in a way and you can access your voicemails through a smartphone and also make calls as your magicjack # rather than your cellphone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone setup the BBC player plugin on their plex media centre while using a DNS region unlocker? The plugin and to work well for pre-recorded content, but when trying to launch the live stream plex tells me the channel isn't responding. I presume plex means the plugin when it's saying "channel", not that the BBC isn't responding.

I'm still on my quest to get a nice hd BBC news stream on my roku3 :q:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
If I buy a chromecast and have someone elses Comcast on demand information, can I stream it from the computer to the TV? I Haven't been able to find this answer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

iostream.h posted:

Federal law requires them to offer you internet at a reasonable speed and affordable price. IANAL but I believe the specific requirements are something like 1mbps and also < $35/mo

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

If I buy a chromecast and have someone elses Comcast on demand information, can I stream it from the computer to the TV? I Haven't been able to find this answer.

Only by casting a tab. There's no app integration except on the Xbox. I have the Xfinity app on my android and chromecast doesn't pop up in app.

Casting the tab works fine for me, but I've heard other opinions from other people.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
My sincere recommendation is to not get a Chromecast or a Roku or anything like that. Chromecast requires a second device (server or phone/tablet) and Roku is a walled off garden with very little options. Either build you own HTPC (whole thread for that) or buy a FireTV or any other Android set top box. These are infinitely more powerful and have tons more options for you watch stuff. The killer app in this scenario is, of course, XBMC. XBMC will do everything you're asking and more.

FireTV/Android Box Scenario:

XBMC for playing downloaded content, video add ons to watch all kinds of stuff including those live streams you speak of

Netflix app for.. netflix.

You have a friend's comcast login? Xfinity app for android + login = tons of on demand stuff and quite a few live streams, including ESPN and (my fav) BBC World.

I can not recommend enough getting an XBMC compatible device that sits in a full android platform. Chromecast to me is barely worth a crap, I don't want to have secondary devices to drive the content I want. Rokus are severly limited. Do yourself a favor and get a FireTV or any other android capable device.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I dont know where you're getting this "Rokus are severely limited walled garden" stuff. A Roku box is just as capable as a FireTV. It doesn't have XBMC but it has Plex which is nearly the same thing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FCKGW posted:

A Roku box is just as capable as a FireTV. It doesn't have XBMC but it has Plex which is nearly the same thing.

Not really. Plex has a small amount of official add-ons but it can't even touch the user created add-ons of XBMC.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Hadlock posted:

Federal law requires them to offer you internet at a reasonable speed and affordable price. IANAL but I believe the specific requirements are something like 1mbps and also < $35/mo
Yeah, was on the phone with them for over an hour today, that was a bunch of smoke and mirrors bullshit and they finally admitted that the actual internet price was cheaper, they were STILL, even after I insisted they remove all additional features, trying to cram TV + phone on the drat plan.

Finally got them to honor a new-customer plan, $70/mo for a year, $90/mo for 2nd year (no contract, oddly enough) 75/35 internet-only plan. That's a decent boost from 40/40 and cuts the bill by about 60% from what it was.

What a ball-busting way to spend the morning tho'. At one point it was all I could do to keep my calm in the face of their continued insistence that I retain TV/Phone service. 'Well I tell you what, I'd like to subscribe to HBO. No ma'am, I don't want the rest of the TV service, just HBO, I'd really like to use my HBO Go app. I can't do that without buying a bunch of other channels I don't want? OK no, internet only. Thanks.'

I really did my best to avoid being a dick, but I honestly just wanted nothing but internet service.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What device should I buy?

99% of the time I will just be watching Netflix. The other 1% of the time (maybe twice a month) I will need to stream live sporting events. I'm currently just plugging in my macbook pro to the TV to do this, but I would love to be able to actually use my computer while watching stuff on TV.

I was initially thinking the Apple TV would best since it has Netflix for TV content and Airplay for mirroring the live streams from my macbook to the TV, but now I'm second guessing myself. Can any of the other devices easily allow me to go to a website and stream the content live to the TV? I know the chromecast can mirror the content within a Chrome tab, so it would technically work, but I'd prefer not to use Chrome (causes horrible battery life) and I'm really concerned with the content streaming as smoothly as possible, especially since the streams themselves are not the greatest.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apple TV is best at magically beaming your computer screen to a TV. Others can do it too though.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I debated for a long time between a Roku 3 and a HTPC to replace my tried and true HDMI capable laptop, and after lots of talk with the (non-techy) wife we decided on a Roku 3. I will eventually build a HTPC so I can XBMC it up hard, but for now the Roku 3 takes care of 99% of what we need. It's a BREEZE to setup and I can't stress enough to look into the unofficial private channels.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I gave my father in law a Roku and the private channels suck and Plex requires a server so...

What live streams are you watching? What site do you get them from (wiziwig?) and what format are they? (flash I am assuming).

If thats the case, XBMC has addons which will pipes those streams straight into the player, without having to visit the site and close a bunch of fake-x-for-exit ads all over the window.

Seriously, the answer for every question regarding cutting the cord is XBMC.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

FCKGW posted:

I dont know where you're getting this "Rokus are severely limited walled garden" stuff. A Roku box is just as capable as a FireTV. It doesn't have XBMC but it has Plex which is nearly the same thing.

I am new at it but putting the XBMC on the Fire TV blows the roku away. I have a Roku, 2 WDTV lives, a chromecast, plus Xbox, Playstations and from what I have seen of the XBMC on the Fire I am amazed.

Roku is great at what it is, but has no space for creativity (that I can see)

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Bingo.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gozinbulx posted:

What live streams are you watching? What site do you get them from (wiziwig?) and what format are they? (flash I am assuming).

If thats the case, XBMC has addons which will pipes those streams straight into the player, without having to visit the site and close a bunch of fake-x-for-exit ads all over the window.

Seriously, the answer for every question regarding cutting the cord is XBMC.

Obscure soccer matches that can't be viewed any other way than via shady stream sites. Yes they are flash based and have tons of annoying pop ups that are hard to close.

Say with a FireTV and XBMC, would I be able to play the streams directly without using my computer at all? Or would I be beaming it from the computer? Either way is fine just trying to figure out what does what since I have no idea what XBMC is.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

tesilential posted:

Say with a FireTV and XBMC, would I be able to play the streams directly without using my computer at all?

Yes.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Whats the best way to watch golf channel or any live golf streams on xbmc gotham running on a PC?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Sportsdevil.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
Agreed on SportsDevil, but make sure you also get the fixes that go along with it. See this.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Fillerbunny posted:

Agreed on SportsDevil, but make sure you also get the fixes that go along with it. See this.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Does Fire TV/XBMC have Aereo support? That's what pushed me towards a Roku.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BigFactory posted:

Does Fire TV/XBMC have Aereo support? That's what pushed me towards a Roku.

You understand aereo is probably going to shut down?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Wooty posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

You understand aereo is probably going to shut down?

Well, maybe. Is that a no? No support?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Well, maybe. Is that a no? No support?

The supreme court recently ruled that their entire business model is illegal, so yes they're going away very soon.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
The CEO also mentioned before the ruling that there was no backup plan if the court ruled against him.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

FCKGW posted:

The supreme court recently ruled that their entire business model is illegal, so yes they're going away very soon.

I understand that. I'm asking if there is support through things other than Roku, but I guess I'll ask somewhere else on the internet.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BigFactory posted:

I understand that. I'm asking if there is support through things other than Roku, but I guess I'll ask somewhere else on the internet.

They had an android beta app that you might have been able to sideload on FireTV.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

FCKGW posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean?

Relax... count your breaths :)

I don't think the Roku has space or the capability on the device to do what the Fire TV does with the XBMC.

I was really blow away how well the xbmc works on the Fire.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
I am quoting you out of order so I can share what I know about this:

FCKGW posted:

Plex runs on a PC and streams the media to your device, in this case a roku with the installed Plex app. It may trans-code different parts of the media's file, depending on how the file itself was created in comparison to what the Roku can play (Roku can play a lot of stuff!). It is dependent on a PC being on and it creating and delivering a stream that the Roku can play.
- Plex can also run on other things but this is how it works on the Roku. It is also how the PLex app runs on the Fire TV, you need a PC to send the media to the device.

The Fire TV, with the XBMC installed, is a powerful enough device that you don't need a PC or other server to send the media. The Fire, equipped with XBMC does it for you. It tracks movie names, TV series, Music etc. It gathers all the metadata and creates attractive looking "movie sheets" that display your media in interesting ways.

You know how Netflix displays it's movies with screenshots and metadata? XBMC, running on the Fire does this for your own media, without a PC in the middle doing any of the work.

I am just trying to share what I have discovered.

Edit: Trying to make my stuff clearer and probably making it worse.

Wooty fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 27, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
This thread has convinced me to get a FireTV and I haven't even looked into it at all. Is it just android? I want to sideload stuff to it!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Maneki Neko posted:

They had an android beta app that you might have been able to sideload on FireTV.

Thanks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Note that XBMC still needs access to the movie files themselves. So you may not need a Plex server to be running but the Fire TV still needs to be able to talk to the PC or NAT device or whatever is storing the files.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Wooty posted:

I can't agrue with that at all. Hell the XBMC on my original xbox still owns for anything that isn't super high def and being able to use a custom web interface any way you want rocks so much. I used to have a blast firing up random music/videos at full volume from another room when someone sitting in there wasn't expecting it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gyshall posted:

This thread has convinced me to get a FireTV and I haven't even looked into it at all. Is it just android? I want to sideload stuff to it!

If only there some type of thread where we could discuss the Fire TV...

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Fillerbunny posted:

found it... thanks

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 28, 2014