Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Is it just me, or only people who can play football very well could make sets of teq ball go longer than literally one hit? I am bad at sports, but it looks much harder to master than ping pong.
If that gif is anything to go by, it's hacky-sack with a ping-pong table and a soccer ball instead of sunlight and friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Frocobo posted:

Is there a list of the points he makes because I really don't want to sit through 30 minutes of that.

there are a lot of things wrong with it but the point he spends the most time on is that even under very generously optimistic conditions the roadways would barely generate enough energy to power their own LEDs, let alone melt ice and snow, and that's before you account for them getting dirty and scratched from normal use

also you can't just magically store energy in the grid for use during the night time so for half the time they'll just be draining power

also he doesn't think that the LEDs will even be visible at a shallow viewing angle during daylight through thick glass

my own personal first thought that he didn't touch on is how much of a maintenance nightmare it will be with multi-ton vehicles driving over them, skidding on them, dropping poo poo on them, people vandalizing them, crashing on them, and such

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

TetsuoTW posted:

If that gif is anything to go by, it's hacky-sack with a ping-pong table and a soccer ball instead of sunlight and friends.

It's a more expensive Takraw for white people.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

tlarn posted:

The future of sports is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTqAfJYWe58

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Kosho is a game or martial art conceived by Patrick McGoohan for the highly admired 1967 television series The Prisoner. The game of Kosho is played on two trampolines set on either side of a four-foot-by-eight-foot tank of water and bordered on two sides by a wall with an angled ledge and hand-rail. Two helmeted opponents each wear a boxing glove on their left hand and a lighter padded glove on their right, and while moving freely in three dimensions attempt to knock, push or throw each other into the tank.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Skinner: Well, the kids have to learn about Teqball sooner or later.

BloodWulfe posted:

I think you guys are being pretty unfair to Teqball. It looks like fun.

Sadly not even this could save the Wii U or Kinect

Flipperwaldt posted:

...wait. Is that where they got the name from?

Ain't gonna lie Tekken ball was hours of fun when that came out

Bandit Queen
May 10, 2008
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/5-000-000-reward-mh370-in-search-of-the-truth-find-the-plane-passengers/hmtr

$5,000,000, flexible funding. I'm sure this is a legitimate endeavor.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Their primary goal is paying out a reward to people who submit tips.

Their secondary goal is hiring a PI to follow up on those tips.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Grindstick, control pole for skateboards that creates sparks

This thing looks like a cool novelty until you realize that it is a forest fire starting machine. This thing was scientifically designed to target and eliminate California. I would also wager that paddling takes away a lot of the fun of skateboarding, but what do I know.(Also they are kind of suggesting skateboarding on dimly lit streets.)

But this... King Crazy Jack! Your name/business can be in this Movie!!!

Firstly:

Second, this is one of the most aggressively unfunny videos I have seen in a long time. Its the kind of fake comedy movie trailer you would see in a real comedy movie. It takes effort to be this not funny.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

This is an amazingly profitable scam in the making. Almost 70k so far.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

The rewards are just the Wikipedia descriptions of various metals because "it is metal that makes up the frame that carried our loved ones"

Jesus Christ I don't even feel bad if people get suckered into giving to this, you deserve to lose your drat money if your bullshit alarm is that broken.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It is being run by family of the victims, but yeah...

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

The rewards are just the Wikipedia descriptions of various metals because "it is metal that makes up the frame that carried our loved ones"

Jesus Christ I don't even feel bad if people get suckered into giving to this, you deserve to lose your drat money if your bullshit alarm is that broken.

My favorite part is that your donation reward is an image. You don't actually get a sliver of the described metal or anything. Nope. Just a jpeg describing your donation amount and whatever metal that corresponds to.

i_am_palladium.jpg is equal to $1k

i_am_ruthenium.jpg is the better bargain at $10k

i_am_rhodium.jpg at $100k? they should be paying you for that poo poo

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

MrAptronym posted:

Grindstick, control pole for skateboards that creates sparks

This thing looks like a cool novelty until you realize that it is a forest fire starting machine. This thing was scientifically designed to target and eliminate California. I would also wager that paddling takes away a lot of the fun of skateboarding, but what do I know.(Also they are kind of suggesting skateboarding on dimly lit streets.)

That's hilarious. If that dumb thing becomes popular, 2015 is going to be a banner year for wildfires. It's actually made of flint fire starting rods.

This is my favorite part:

quote:

Do I need a skateboard to use this?

No, We recently had twelve 10-14 year olds over and they just went crazy running up and down the street creating sparks for hours.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Knitted shoe ... capes? Latest fashion from Romania!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1671848905/stulpino

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009

Meatwave posted:

That's hilarious. If that dumb thing becomes popular, 2015 is going to be a banner year for wildfires. It's actually made of flint fire starting rods.

This is my favorite part:

Someone's gonna use this near a petrol station right?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Knitted shoe ... capes? Latest fashion from Romania!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1671848905/stulpino

No those are not even capes, those Eastern European fashion bastards needed to unload a crate of doll panties they ordered by mistake and this is what they've created. This happened to me in an Albanian bodega once, I went in looking for baking soda and came out with three truck winches instead.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

MrAptronym posted:

But this... King Crazy Jack! Your name/business can be in this Movie!!!

Firstly:

Second, this is one of the most aggressively unfunny videos I have seen in a long time. Its the kind of fake comedy movie trailer you would see in a real comedy movie. It takes effort to be this not funny.

Good thing the trailer told us how funny and crazy Jack was over and over again, without actually showing us anything funny or crazy.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

No those are not even capes, those Eastern European fashion bastards needed to unload a crate of doll panties they ordered by mistake and this is what they've created. This happened to me in an Albanian bodega once, I went in looking for baking soda and came out with three truck winches instead.

stuff like that happens pretty often:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkXxmMUIx8k

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
This was posted in the previous thread: UNLEASHED THE SEXUAL VAMPIRE

It seems they didn't give up after their Kickstarter failed. They've published it through CreateSpace and started selling it on Amazon.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mirificus posted:

COPY ONLY

Bradzor
Mar 18, 2007
Fwhaa?

Mirificus posted:

It seems they didn't give up after their Kickstarter failed. They've published it through CreateSpace and started selling it on Amazon.

This is exactly why I don't understand Kickstarters for people who want to selfpublish. If you're on a device capable of logging into Kickstarter and creating a project, you're on a device that can generate the PDF that companies like Lulu or CreateSpace need to publish your book. There isn't an upfront cost with these services other than maybe buying a few proof copies. Why the heck are these people making kickstarters? And who is funding these instead of just buying the book, they're always absolutely horrible.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Have you ever wanted to play tabletop RPGs with your friends online? Well, you could use Roll20, or you could back this person's kickstarter to do the exact same thing, but through Facebook! All he needs is $150,000.

quote:

Funding will go towards code completion, launch, and making it look fancy. When launched users will control some content(mob control).

We all remember growing up with games that ran with a 2d map, an I kind of miss those, so I decided to take my programming skills, and write one of my own to allow people to meet each other, and have fun playing them also. This will also be a platform to help people get their work shown to a larger community than just a retail outlet.

Upon successful complete launch, I will be launching a software company (dump the funds into it to protect personal liability) to do innovative technology developing, and hopefully make the change I want to see in the world come to life.

This will be launched through Facebook apps.

The funding will go completely towards development/design time as a start up company.

The awards will be avalible, only if the Kick Starter is successful

In what seems like an amazing copout, the reward tiers for this project are done in "premium points" for the service, always one point per dollar pledge. There's no mention what premium points are for or what they do. At $100 and above, you get between one day and one month of beta access and credit towards the game's real-money store. For a virtual tabletop.

Another project from someone who wants to kickstart their Youtube career, looking for a decent chunk of cash as well: $40,000 AUD. Wonder why they want that much?

Help a Youtubers Future The Bug71, Risks and Challenges posted:

The risks i will be taking in pursuit of my dream will be extreme in my case. because to do so i will be quitting my job and therefore losing any financial security and becoming a massive slave to my debt and bills and probably become bankrupt within weeks. That's why i need you guys to help so i have a safety net if it fails which i will fight soo hard for it not too.

When you watch the video, he talks about how he's already in crippling debt from getting the equipment together to capture and upload videos, and had to get a job afterwards to pay for it all. I'm pretty sure there are 'tubers who work regular jobs and still put up content regularly. A choice quote from the video is how just a dollar will help him survive for four days; "All I need is bread, butter, and a couple of bags of meat, and I'll be set, and I'll be pumping out those videos day after day for you guys."

Are you tired of Family Guy yet? Apparently there are people who aren't, and there are people who want to try and get their own show in the fray. Contemplate upon Monkey-Chicken's first mistake it commits with its video.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Bradzor posted:

This is exactly why I don't understand Kickstarters for people who want to selfpublish. If you're on a device capable of logging into Kickstarter and creating a project, you're on a device that can generate the PDF that companies like Lulu or CreateSpace need to publish your book. There isn't an upfront cost with these services other than maybe buying a few proof copies. Why the heck are these people making kickstarters? And who is funding these instead of just buying the book, they're always absolutely horrible.

These people always need editors ($2,000 and up) and cover designers ($600 and up), whether they think they do or not.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

AlbieQuirky posted:

These people always need editors ($2,000 and up) and cover designers ($600 and up), whether they think they do or not.

No-poo poo publishers pay for those, though, don't they?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tlarn posted:

Another project from someone who wants to kickstart their Youtube career, looking for a decent chunk of cash as well: $40,000 AUD. Wonder why they want that much?

When you watch the video, he talks about how he's already in crippling debt from getting the equipment together to capture and upload videos, and had to get a job afterwards to pay for it all. I'm pretty sure there are 'tubers who work regular jobs and still put up content regularly. A choice quote from the video is how just a dollar will help him survive for four days; "All I need is bread, butter, and a couple of bags of meat, and I'll be set, and I'll be pumping out those videos day after day for you guys."

He's doing a Wolfenstein LP on his channel with 12 episodes so far, all of which have 30 views or less. I watched one and it mostly consisted of him stumbling around the base trying (and failing) to get into a certain room with stellar commentary like "Well this is boring, I'll probably cut out this bit from the video". It was boring as poo poo.

I seem to recall that Patreon also had a whole bunch of people trying to become youtube LP sensations. Here's an idea guys: make some good videos and develop a following and ask them for money rather than asking strangers for money so you can make videos.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

FrozenVent posted:

No-poo poo publishers pay for those, though, don't they?

Yes. But self-publishers have to pay their own. And all too often, they don't.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

OldMemes posted:

Good thing the trailer told us how funny and crazy Jack was over and over again, without actually showing us anything funny or crazy.

Did you watch the same video as me? The man rode a bike inside his house. He's crazy!

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

UncleSmoothie posted:

Did you watch the same video as me? The man rode a bike inside his house. He's crazy!

I don't know about that. I heard this song once about this chick who crashed her car into a bridge.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes. But self-publishers have to pay their own. And all too often, they don't.

To be fair, my friend got in the Amazon Fantasy top 5 without hiring a proper editor. He's self published because he wrote to one publisher who declined him and decided he had to go it alone. I'm like dude, huge authors went through dozens of rejections, just keep trying, but nope. I kinda feel that self-publishing is the lazy way to go about it these days.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Morglon posted:

I don't know about that. I heard this song once about this chick who crashed her car into a bridge.

she was quoted afterwards as shouting "I DON'T CARE"

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
A spritual successor to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games made by previous GSC Game World staff members*!"

*does not contain actual staff members, may be infringing on the work of actual S.T.A.L.K.E.R. devs.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
You ever have a show you love so much that when it hits some milestone in episodes, you want to celebrate? You could mail the studio a giftbasket with "Congrats on X episodes!" or maybe a little statuette for them to set on a shelf in their lobby. Or you could do what these guys want to do and have one of those fly-over banners that you tie to the back of planes to commemorate Supernatural's 200th episode. :downs:

Supernatural's 200th Episode Flyover posted:

Our plan? We're going to fly an aerial banner over the Greater Vancouver area to celebrate the 200th episode! Options for the wording on the aerial banner will be voted on by backers after we've finished our Kickstarter. Have an idea? We'll add it to the list!! We're allowed a maximum of 43 letters (including spaces) and here are some ideas we've come up with:

CONGRATS SPN CAST & CREW ON 200 EPISODES!

200 EPISODES? CONGRATS SUPERNATURAL!

CONGRATS TO SUPERNATURAL ON 200 EPISODES!

200 REASONS 2 SAY THANK YOU TO SUPERNATURAL

The flight path will include the Supernatural studio in Burnaby and the Northern Vancouver area which includes many past Supernatural filming locations. We will contact the studio the day we hire the airplane and will hopefully be able to get everyone outside to enjoy the banner. We are projecting over 300,000 people in the Greater Vancouver area will see this banner.

We're going through a time in our civilization's history as a whole where environmental issues have come to the front of many concerns with expansion and industrialization. There's multiple solutions to getting away from coal- and fossil-fuel energy: solar, wind, even nuclear. What if you could do what solar roadways is doing, but do it with your t-shirt, and make responsible use of your renewable energy? What if that same solar clothing just has a tiny solar cell the size of your hand sewn into it, and all it does with the power collected is to light itself up? Welcome to Electron Wear.

Different materials and cell designs! There's even stickers! It even has lights for your pits!

:lol::lol:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Why does that fake plastic lady have hard fake nipples?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Morglon posted:

why is her face the only part of her model without any sort of detail?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

tlarn posted:

Are you tired of Family Guy yet? Apparently there are people who aren't, and there are people who want to try and get their own show in the fray. Contemplate upon Monkey-Chicken's first mistake it commits with its video.

4 backers, $1,510. Uhhhhhhh

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I like how the Cotton :420: HEMP :420: Bamboo dummy has visible nipples. Sex sells, I guess?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Morglon posted:

It's not unusual for female mannequins to have nipples. Women have reasons to want to know how their nipples will display through the garment if they don't wear a bra.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In ongoing not-terrible Kickstarter news, Seth Macfarlane is matching people's donations to Reading Rainbow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

There is still a terrible element to it in that Seth McFarlane is involved.