Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

jackofarcades posted:

Don't take a lead, just hold R1 to lean. I've got like a 90% steal rate on a 70 speed guy with just leaning.

Yeah, if your player is fast enough you don't need to lead just lean. Just watch when the catcher starts to settle down and go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

What about in singleplayer/online? Don't you hold L2 to get a jump? I don't really steal a lot but I love the hit and run.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

No seriously guys, why the gently caress won't my pitcher attempt to field anything that is hit at him? He just stands like a doofus watching balls go right up the middle

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

jackofarcades posted:

Don't take a lead, just hold R1 to lean. I've got like a 90% steal rate on a 70 speed guy with just leaning.

Yeah that's what I do in RTTS, I'm talking about in regular play.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I took my 18 year old CF from hitting .410 in AA until a week after the All Star break, to raking .340 in MLB with 21 dingers until end of season on the Twins, because Aaron Hicks isn't a high bar. Purely on my Vita on the bus to work.

Twins missed the Central by 6 games :smith: looking forward to this season!

E: holy moley RTTS owns.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Ramadu posted:

No seriously guys, why the gently caress won't my pitcher attempt to field anything that is hit at him? He just stands like a doofus watching balls go right up the middle

Have you leveled your fielding stats at all? Mine are in the 40s-50s and my guy often fields the ball before I can even see where it went because of the camera switch.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
I've been playing my best game of RTTS for the last three weeks, as a decent-all-around second baseman. Hitting pretty well, fielding great, even getting a bunch of dingers.

.....except I'm stuck with the Yankees. They were bottom of their division by MILES in 2014 (they sent Ichiro down to AA :psyduck:) and 2015. They refuse to trade me and no matter how well I play, everyone else is an idiot. Last night we lost 16-0 to the Orioles and I think that's the last straw. I'm starting the gently caress over.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Demand a trade.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

davecrazy posted:

Demand a trade.

Yeah, I don't seem to be getting that option. Weird.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
You could always try to sim most days, playing just enough to keep your stats or slightly increase them. You won't develop as fast but maybe you'll get some decent players or hit FA soon enough.

I re-started my guys a couple of times, usually because I get called up and stashed on the bench.

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

You could always try to sim most days, playing just enough to keep your stats or slightly increase them. You won't develop as fast but maybe you'll get some decent players or hit FA soon enough.

I re-started my guys a couple of times, usually because I get called up and stashed on the bench.

That is usually what happens to me, first year I do well enough to make the 40-man roster the next year and get to soak it up on the Bench, with minimal playing time my stats go to poo poo and eventually I get sent back down and have to recover.

Also, what settings are you guys playing on? Everyone talking about tearing it up in the majors their first/second season is crazy to me. I can hit fine in the minors but the moment I am up against the pro's I can't hit for poo poo. Everything is a little dribbler, an easy pop-up, if I do manage to make solid contact by some grace of god it is a liner right to short or second, or a long fly easy out for the OF. I am on dynamic difficulty and seem to swing between Veteran and Veteran+ difficulties with Timing hitting. Of course, I am more than willing to accept that I just suck at hitting but I just don't see how you guys are pulling that off.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Don't swing at stuff so much. Especially in the majors, you need to take more balls or else you'll never get good pitches to hit.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

GB_Sign posted:

That is usually what happens to me, first year I do well enough to make the 40-man roster the next year and get to soak it up on the Bench, with minimal playing time my stats go to poo poo and eventually I get sent back down and have to recover.

Also, what settings are you guys playing on? Everyone talking about tearing it up in the majors their first/second season is crazy to me. I can hit fine in the minors but the moment I am up against the pro's I can't hit for poo poo. Everything is a little dribbler, an easy pop-up, if I do manage to make solid contact by some grace of god it is a liner right to short or second, or a long fly easy out for the OF. I am on dynamic difficulty and seem to swing between Veteran and Veteran+ difficulties with Timing hitting. Of course, I am more than willing to accept that I just suck at hitting but I just don't see how you guys are pulling that off.

All-Star, Zone hitting, with lowest pitch speed.

Honestly my reflexes suck and I still can't hit a high 95+ mph fastball with any consistency. Still, I'm the best hitter in the league (but not Ruth / Williams / Bonds ridiculous). I didn't even lead the league in homers last year and I have 95 power.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I play on AS and actually really enjoy my time in the minors, so I try to build up my fielding/speed/dura/etc on par with my hitting stats so I develop slower.

You get to see some crazy team names, cool-rear end ballparks and the errors are usually of the hilarious type.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I play on AS and actually really enjoy my time in the minors, so I try to build up my fielding/speed/dura/etc on par with my hitting stats so I develop slower.

You get to see some crazy team names, cool-rear end ballparks and the errors are usually of the hilarious type.

I basically try to get as much contact as possible early on because of the chance I might get called up with like 55 contact and not be able to hit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Plate vision is also super important when you get called up to. It's compared against the pitcher's stats to see how big your PCI is, which affects how solid your hits are.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Lockback posted:

Plate vision is also super important when you get called up to. It's compared against the pitcher's stats to see how big your PCI is, which affects how solid your hits are.

Right, I max that out before I do anything else

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

Is this documented somewhere?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Drunk Badger posted:

Is this documented somewhere?

It's not documented in the game, but the way it works is the PCI of a player increases as the plate vision attribute goes up but is countered and made smaller by the H/9 of the opposing pitcher.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Your Contact stat also increases your PCI.

I think plate vision also makes it more likely you'll foul off a pitch even if you miss, and that effect is lowered by the pitcher's K/9

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Alan Trammell posted:

Have you leveled your fielding stats at all? Mine are in the 40s-50s and my guy often fields the ball before I can even see where it went because of the camera switch.

Yeah....I just looked now that the forums are back and the fielding and reaction stats are 41 each. It's beyond frustrating though. ALso the curve ball is terrible and I guess I'll just get another fastball instead of that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lockback posted:

Don't swing at stuff so much. Especially in the majors, you need to take more balls or else you'll never get good pitches to hit.

Especially since the game penalizes you for swinging too early, unless you happen to get at least on base.

Seriously, what do they expect me to do? Waste a good pitch right down the middle just so I don't add to the stupid pitch count?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, a 10 pitch walk will give you more than a first pitch solo HR.

I don't mind it too much because you can grind out points with a high plate vision by fouling off borderline pitches. Even if you end up weakly grounding out an 8 pitch at-bat will give you some good points.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ramadu posted:

Yeah....I just looked now that the forums are back and the fielding and reaction stats are 41 each. It's beyond frustrating though. ALso the curve ball is terrible and I guess I'll just get another fastball instead of that.

Circle change or knuckleball be my advice

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The knuckleball is just so goddamn fun, everyone should have it.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Pleads posted:

The knuckleball is just so goddamn fun, everyone should have it.

Did they change that one pitching lesson to not request a knuckleball in a specific location? God was that a frustrating waste of possible pitcher development...

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

oldskool posted:

Did they change that one pitching lesson to not request a knuckleball in a specific location? God was that a frustrating waste of possible pitcher development...

Does the knuckleball still have a control stat? Unless I'm actually able to control where the thing ends up that seems kind of pointless.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

oldskool posted:

My RTTS pitcher is a knuckleballer. When I get that training session, it tells me to throw the fastball, despite it being the secondary pitch. Also that was a problem because I didn't have the fastball leveled up, so it took me ages and ages to beat it.

I did finally beat level 1, and now it's added my terrible 64 MPH curveball to the mix. Hooray.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I'm on the Isotopes on RTTS.

We had a 11-2 lead at one point, due in no small part to my single homer, 1 RBI and consistently getting on base, but these shitlords manage to let the other team have a 5 run inning to make the final score 11-10. :catstare:

Good thing I don't even have to give a poo poo if my team wins or not in RTTS, particularly in the minors, but it's still dumb.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

'Topes....lose?!

'Topes lose... :(

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Neodoomium posted:

'Topes....lose?!

'Topes lose... :(

Exactly my thoughts when I realized they're a Dodgers feeder team.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

With contact swinging, is it easier to check your swing?

Unrelated, but snagging unused talented in the rule 5 draft and developing them with occasional play and heavy training is super fun for me.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Contact swinging is easier to check, power swinging is harder

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

Is bat speed any different between the 3 types? I find myself using contact swing more often when facing a 95+ 4sfb but I don't know if that is just confirmation bias or if contact is actually able to get around faster.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I loving hate citi field.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Eifert Posting posted:

I love Citi Field.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Eifert Posting posted:

It owns.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

It's a million times better than Shea Stadium was.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

I have problems hitting certain places because of glare. Safeco mostly, but also O.co

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I'm pretty new to baseball, never having really been all that interested in it before, but I've become addicted to this game. Like I usually do when I learn a new sports game, I just loaded up my team with all 99 OVR monsters just so I could get the mechanics down.

The hardest thing for me to grasp as someone who wasn't a baseball fan before learning this game is that it's basically the only sport where "perfection" isn't always doing something 100%. In Madden or NBA 2k or FIFA, if I have a squad of all 99 players, the only limiting factor is me, as the player, but in MLB my 99 pitcher putting the suggested pitch right where the glove icon of the 99 catcher says still gives away hits sometimes. I want to throw a perfect game, damnit! Haha

So I've started wondering if I understand the pitching stuff correctly. Am I supposed to put the ball icon in the glove icon? What does it mean when the controller rumbles when I put it in some spots in the strike zone? When there are arrows for a curve or something, do I put the ball icon in the glove or the arrows pointing at the glove?

• Locked thread