Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
Grotsnik lost his old pseudo rage but he can't leave a unit once joined, and he has the brutal but cunning warload trait(I don't have to book on me ATM but I'm sure that's the one, Ghaz has prophet of the waaaaagh!). Meks in Loota and burna squads are the same as they used to be. The Cybork upgrade doesn't mention anything about stacking with other sources of FNP and knowing GW they won't faq it to either.

One of many issues I have with mob rule is that it's absolutely necessary now to babysit your boys with a Nob/mek or HQ. I often ran no frills shoota boys in the past and they worked well. With challenges, snipers and precision shots you stand a good chance of loosing your babysitters and having the squad go to ground or run away. I really am trying to give the new dex a chance but the more time I have with it the more disappointed and pissed off I become. I felt the same way when Tomb Kings dropped in 8th edition and got the shaft.

I really feel like orks have become a canned hunt. We've been de-clawed, de-fanged, and the rich hunter has been told we're dangerous because we can "run & assault".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

JerryLee posted:

Has there ever really been a 40k computer game that was the one to play if you weren't already a fan of the license, though? As far as I'm aware there have been better/more mainstream RTSes and shooters at any time that the 40k ones have been on the market. As long as they keep their expectations in line, a 40k MOBA could defend its own niche.
Space Marine is hands down one of the best third-person action games to come out in the past ten years, even if you didn't give a poo poo about Warhammer.

Edit: When is the Ghazkull supplement coming out by itself?

Power Player fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 27, 2014

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Cross-post!

The Sex Cannon posted:

oh god i finished my 1st vendetta

That took me a loving month. But I only have to do one more.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Looks great! I love the dark and realistic color scheme. I enjoy down-trodden and grim Imperial Guard, for truly their life is suffering.

One question though--does the "clear" transfer material show up that much in person or is it just a trick of the camera?

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 27, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

looks great!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Nice work! The sheen from the transfers is pretty glaring though - you should probably hit that sucker up with some matte varnish to dull them down. It's a really menacing looking craft with that painstcheme though.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Anyone have any advice on painting battle damage (the link in the Mini painting thread isn't too hot)? I found an old Chaos Rhino that's seen better days, which I then de-converted to be an Imperial Rhino. In the process I decided to try to mask the places where the chains and skulls and whatnot didn't come off neatly by modeling heavy battle damage. I think the actual damage itself works fine, but I've hit the damaged areas with some Leadbelcher and Nuln Oil and I'm not sure where to go past that. Maybe highlight the areas with Runefang Steel?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PantsOptional posted:

Anyone have any advice on painting battle damage (the link in the Mini painting thread isn't too hot)? I found an old Chaos Rhino that's seen better days, which I then de-converted to be an Imperial Rhino. In the process I decided to try to mask the places where the chains and skulls and whatnot didn't come off neatly by modeling heavy battle damage. I think the actual damage itself works fine, but I've hit the damaged areas with some Leadbelcher and Nuln Oil and I'm not sure where to go past that. Maybe highlight the areas with Runefang Steel?

I like to drop a spot of black paint down first, then paint inside that with leadbelcher and highlight with Runefang steel. The extra black outline gives the damage depth and helps accentuate the look of paint chipped away.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I really like the overall look of that Vendetta, and I may be off the mark here or you might just be sick of it, but I think the engines could stand a bit of metallic accent on some of the engine parts. I feel like it would make them pop a bit more without taking away from the style that you've got going on there.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Question: how effective is a Warhound Titan with two Vulcan Mega Bolters at 1750?

In that campaign I've previously whined about, I'm playing one of the real jerks. Though they've houseruled out most of my options, I'm typically the fluffy army guy, and I want to bring something completely dickish.

He runs Chaos Marines/ Daemons, and likes to bring Hellbrutes, Terminators and Daemon Princes. We're running Eternal War missions this week.

Edit: I would be proxying it with my Imperial Knight, which is not allowed in this campaign. :effort:

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 27, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why are you playing with these people

Judge Bread
May 31, 2012

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED.
Get hyped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNT8LQnImiI

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

PierreTheMime posted:

Looks great! I love the dark and realistic color scheme. I enjoy down-trodden and grim Imperial Guard, for truly their life is suffering.

One question though--does the "clear" transfer material show up that much in person or is it just a trick of the camera?

SRM posted:

Nice work! The sheen from the transfers is pretty glaring though - you should probably hit that sucker up with some matte varnish to dull them down. It's a really menacing looking craft with that painstcheme though.

I did hit it with some matte, but I guess I gotta do a little more. I think the photos make them shinier then they actually are, but they're still noticeable. I had a thought: what if I hit the transfers with some paint-on gloss coat (in this case, GW's 'Ardcoat) and then give them a layer or two of matte. Would that help to get rid of transfer sheen?

Darksaber posted:

I really like the overall look of that Vendetta, and I may be off the mark here or you might just be sick of it, but I think the engines could stand a bit of metallic accent on some of the engine parts. I feel like it would make them pop a bit more without taking away from the style that you've got going on there.

This is a good suggestion, but the dull look is intentional. Also, gently caress painting with metallics.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

be mine

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

why are you playing with these people

Believe it or not, this is the tolerable 40k group in town.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Holy gently caress this looks amazing. The first teasers and images looked really rough, and this is some downright purdy Unreal engine goodness.

The Sex Cannon posted:

I did hit it with some matte, but I guess I gotta do a little more. I think the photos make them shinier then they actually are, but they're still noticeable. I had a thought: what if I hit the transfers with some paint-on gloss coat (in this case, GW's 'Ardcoat) and then give them a layer or two of matte. Would that help to get rid of transfer sheen?
When I do transfers I gloss coat the whole model, then matte varnish the whole model. It usually kills it, but sometimes I have to touch up the edges a little. Micro Sol allegedly dissolves the film around the transfer, but it's been kinda hit or miss for me.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Find another town? The guys sound like sperglord jerks to me. I bet the Eldar and Daemon players think that 7th is the most balanced 40k has ever been, too :rolleyes:

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Wait your Imperial Knight is disallowed but a Warhound is fine?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Games Workshop please make a Datasheet for a 12' tall MC Broodlord tia

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Direwolf posted:

Wait your Imperial Knight is disallowed but a Warhound is fine?

Can't take an Allied detachment, but the Lord of War spot is fine... Apparently.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I dunno about you guys but my loving Necrons, love 7th edition. Tesla weapons give no shits about jinking.

I wanted to be goofy so I took two Necron Lords on CCB, which I shouldn't have done as it was a friendly game and played my friends "battleforce" Company. It's just some army he came up with that's a 40k Space Marine modern army that uses the rules from 30k but the point value and army list entry etc.. so he can get the Rites of War stuff and the cooler Tactical Support squads etc..

It was not a pleasant game, just ran rough shod over everything.

edit:

Convince me not to buy a Ad Mech army cause I just got my refund and I'm like well..... No one around here really plays 30k but I like Admechs.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Can't take an Allied detachment, but the Lord of War spot is fine... Apparently.

How many houserules are they up to now? I have to imagine the list is kind of absurd.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'll convince you to buy an admech army, because they're cool and i'm about to

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Now that's a loving trailer. Goddamn. I absolutely love the fact that this is being made by the same people as E.Y.E. I have no idea what to expect from it.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

So yes or no on the Titan for the points?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
you can bring the titan, but section 9, subsection 7, article xvii clearly states 'john wins every game anyway', so the only correct move is not to play

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So yes or no on the Titan for the points?

Are you asking if an Imperial Apocalypse-level Titan will fare okay in a normal-level game? The answer is yes.

SHOW THEM NO QUARTER, REMIT THEIR WRETCHED SOULS TO THE EMPEROR FOR JUDGEMENT :commissar:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Safety Factor posted:

Now that's a loving trailer. Goddamn. I absolutely love the fact that this is being made by the same people as E.Y.E. I have no idea what to expect from it.

I thought the trailer needed more brouzouf.

That's pretty fuckin rad and I wish I almost had another Valkyrie to paint even if my next major project might just be a Baneblade.
Once I get off work and finish everything else I've got on the table of course.

haakman
May 5, 2011

wait, this isn't an expansion to the Space Hulk turn based game?

OOO

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Just say that Imperial Knights aren't taken as an Allied detachment, they're an Imperial Knights detachment ( :smug: optional)

(Yes, the book says they're technically a type of ally detachment, but c'mon, that's just a cheap way to shut out cool units.)

Speaking of the knights though, if I were to take a full-knights list I can easily fit knights into 1500 points and 1850 points values, and I suspect they're priced to do exactly that, but I can't figure out a way to include the 400 point Knight Lancer since it also has a secondary restriction (no more Lancers than there are other knights in the army, so no 5-Lancer list at 2000). I don't even own enough models for such a thing but it irritates me a little.

Of course there's Unbound but pretty much everyone I know who even wants to touch the game universally reviles even the concept. We're all old enough to remember that the justification for the original FoC was to make armies look more like armies on the tabletop, i.e. story reasons, so seeing the same reason used to strip it away rings false.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

haakman posted:

wait, this isn't an expansion to the Space Hulk turn based game?

OOO

Nope, whole new game.

Made by the guys who did EYE: Divine Cybermancy.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

The Sex Cannon posted:

This is a good suggestion, but the dull look is intentional. Also, gently caress painting with metallics.

I do my transfers by first giving the spot the transfer is going to be on a layer or two of brush-on gloss coat ('Ardcoat, yeah). Then I apply the transfer - make doubly sure you get any air bubbles out, those will end up glossy otherwise - and once it's dry, I brush on another thin layer of 'Ardcoat. Then I matte spray the whole model and the transfer sheet will be essentially invisible, like so:

The idea with the gloss patch underneath is to smooth out the surface underneath. A thin layer or two of gloss essentially covers up any minor irregularities and makes for a nice smooth spot that the transfer should glom perfectly onto. The layer of gloss afterwards is to smooth out the edges of the transfer film and to 'seal' it better onto the mini. Finally the layer of matte spray will kill the shine.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 27, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I've got my hands on an Imperial Knight + a Leman Russ Punisher through a mate - both are unassembled, but I don't have any instructions for them. Does anyone have any copies of the instructions that they could email me? I could probably trawl the internet but I would assume someone in this thread has them to hand, so wanted to ask first!

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Drake_263 posted:

I do my transfers by first giving the spot the transfer is going to be on a layer or two of brush-on gloss coat ('Ardcoat, yeah). Then I apply the transfer - make doubly sure you get any air bubbles out, those will end up glossy otherwise - and once it's dry, I brush on another thin layer of 'Ardcoat. Then I matte spray the whole model and the transfer sheet will be essentially invisible, like so:

The idea with the gloss patch underneath is to smooth out the surface underneath. A thin layer or two of gloss essentially covers up any minor irregularities and makes for a nice smooth spot that the transfer should glom perfectly onto. The layer of gloss afterwards is to smooth out the edges of the transfer film and to 'seal' it better onto the mini. Finally the layer of matte spray will kill the shine.

Thanks for this!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

Nope, whole new game.

Made by the guys who did EYE: Divine Cybermancy.
And it's a first person shooter, which is basically the Space Hulk game I've been waiting for since I found my dad's copy as a kid. Yes I know there was one on like the Amiga but not one this purdy.

Also, EYE: Divine Cybermancy is cheap as chips on the Steam sale right now, and will probably be slightly cheaper before the sale's up. It's such an aggressively PC game, it's loving impenetrable in the best way. It's really rough around the edges, but it shows the developer has an eye for the grimdark and weird that we all know and love from 40k.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
Big Mek in Mega-Armour is up. http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Big-Mek-in-Mega-Armour

So are they releasing a Big Mek with KFF without Mega-Armor? I don't see one on the site yet, and they took the old one down as posted earlier in this thread. That... doesn't make any sense.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Question: how effective is a Warhound Titan with two Vulcan Mega Bolters at 1750?

In that campaign I've previously whined about, I'm playing one of the real jerks. Though they've houseruled out most of my options, I'm typically the fluffy army guy, and I want to bring something completely dickish.

He runs Chaos Marines/ Daemons, and likes to bring Hellbrutes, Terminators and Daemon Princes. We're running Eternal War missions this week.

Edit: I would be proxying it with my Imperial Knight, which is not allowed in this campaign. :effort:

If you bring a warhound titan, forget the mega bolters- you want those strength D dual laser destroyers. Or the plasma gun things. Those will let you pog the poo poo out of his 2+ and 3+ blobs or outright instant kill Daemon Princes and Hellbrutes. In my experiance mega bolters are not worth it (titans get weapons for free, so you're not paying a points tax to have higher strength weapons).

Hollismason posted:

Convince me not to buy a Ad Mech army cause I just got my refund and I'm like well..... No one around here really plays 30k but I like Admechs.

Do it! As long as the people you play with are chill, 30K in 40k is fun, and Admech is a cool army. Just don't bring a completely cheese-ball list your first few times. You need to ease people into Admech... gently.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Power Player posted:

Big Mek in Mega-Armour is up. http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Big-Mek-in-Mega-Armour

So are they releasing a Big Mek with KFF without Mega-Armor? I don't see one on the site yet, and they took the old one down as posted earlier in this thread. That... doesn't make any sense.

Better yet they have their awesome 1 click deal up, behold Da Goff Guard!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Indolent Bastard posted:

Better yet they have their awesome 1 click deal up, behold Da Goff Guard!

Availability: Temporarily out of stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Safety Factor posted:

I am pumped about this game. I've been turning my friends onto EYE for the entire Steam sale so far. None have been able to resist backstabbing a Baron of Hell with a nuclear cyber-warhammer. My buddies are co-op strategy-shooter junkies, and we'll probably be rolling this when we aren't rocking Siege.

I'll be picking up a Mek Gun and the new Meganobz kit from TheCardOgre on Bartertown. 35% off new kits? YES PLEASE.

• Locked thread