Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Thread no stop self-cannibalize

I made the mistake of acting jerkish to a dumb new topic (that had been answered repeatedly by other topics!) and it is a dumb idea. Make those forums better, and make fun of particularly bad posters in another forum, perhaps even a comedy forum yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I've gotten zero warnings on those forums so far, and in fact have been rewarded with a badge. The chucklefish mods fear my power, soon it will be too late to stop me.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I think I have an account on the forums, but I think the joy in them is gone. It's like looking through valve forums for unban requests.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
There's been some quite good discussion about exploration, game design and dungeon creation. Look for threads by PartyAlarm.

I am saddened that the thread with my big angry "grow the hell up" post was deleted. It had a shitton of "like"s and inflated my e-peen considerably.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Has there been any discussion of a timeline for the next update? I started playing again recently and it really made me hunger for fresh content. Is there a certain milestone they want to reach first, or is it all quiet?

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
Ever since we temp-banned a whole bunch of people the forums have been a lot less toxic lately. There's still work to do, but things are improving well enough that they are actually readable again.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

CJacobs posted:

Y'know what's more annoying than people who won't shut the gently caress up about their entitlement? People who won't shut the gently caress up about other people shutting the gently caress up. Idiots who comment angrily on blog posts thrive on attention, mostly from the people they are trying to be angry at, and being posted all over one of the few civil places gives them that attention. "Haha look at X forum being bad at community discussion!" can only be funny for so long before it starts stifling the people making fun of it because it's all they talk about inbetween mod developer posts.

stfu lol

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Just picked this up a few days ago, it's super engrossing, and I just beat the third boss and am working on building my main base.

So far my only major annoyance is keeping my inventory manageable; is there a mod that adds a sort button or something to that effect?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

I've gotten zero warnings on those forums so far, and in fact have been rewarded with a badge. The chucklefish mods fear my power, soon it will be too late to stop me.

You fiend. Better not get Richey mad!!!!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
For all you here goons with CF forum accounts, it really is a good time to give it another try!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dandywalken posted:

I couldnt. Saying "... has taken over your life" immediately reminded me of the horse-tits arguments, the poo poo-monster debates etc. It was too much. That people could take a game to such extremes was too much to comprehend on the spot. I shot up/poo poo up the thread.

ButtLord was my name on there, Cosby avatar.

Oh I banned you.

eonwe fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 26, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eonwe posted:

Oh I banned you.

I was feeling bad but now...

Yep the public shaming thing seemed to work pretty well tbh. No more deleting posts (so no more censorship bitching), just straight up bans.

Its ok :) I hold no ill will.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dandywalken posted:

Its ok :) I hold no ill will.

Lurk More

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I feel sorry for Bartwe. It seemed clear he was really passionate about his work on Starbound and his coding streams were pretty entertaining, even as someone who could barely understand what he was doing. Circumstances have sort of necessitated the drop, of course, but still, I'm sure this must be rather bittersweet for him, having to say goodbye to a project like this.
So long, Bartwe, and thanks for all your hard work. I hope he finds another project to really sink his teeth into.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Vib Rib posted:

I hope he finds another project to really sink his teeth into.

Apparently the game Staxel, on whose site he made the "leaving Starbound" post. He's streaming coding for it right now, it seems.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Copycat Zero posted:

Apparently the game Staxel, on whose site he made the "leaving Starbound" post. He's streaming coding for it right now, it seems.
Well! This already seems awesome. Just another thing to look forward to I guess. :allears:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What's with "creative" games always having such vile communities?
I can understand MOBA's or fighting games' communities being like that since they're focused around PvP competition but games like minecraft or starbound?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

I feel sorry for Bartwe. It seemed clear he was really passionate about his work on Starbound and his coding streams were pretty entertaining, even as someone who could barely understand what he was doing. Circumstances have sort of necessitated the drop, of course, but still, I'm sure this must be rather bittersweet for him, having to say goodbye to a project like this.
So long, Bartwe, and thanks for all your hard work. I hope he finds another project to really sink his teeth into.

Well, I feel his pain. A bit ago I transitioned to another office, and began working remotely in a team where every other member was all at the same (other) office. It's a lot harder to get stuff done, not just because of telecommuting, but because I'm the only one doing it. If the Chucklefish team were more distributed (like it was before they moved to London), then everyone would be on the same footing.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 26, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

I can understand MOBA's or fighting games' communities being like that since they're focused around PvP competition but games like minecraft or starbound?

You find the same in alot of simulator/wargame communities believe it or not. Its an interesting question, but not totally resigned to the creative-type of games. I'm not sure on any exact correlation though aside for both being the butt of "lol autism" jokes.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Autism.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
These kinds of games also really appeal to kids so most of them will probably grow out of being terrible.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Clever Spambot posted:

These kinds of games also really appeal to kids so most of them will probably grow out of being terrible.

I think you'll find that most of these people are not children and are, in fact, full grown adults who merely act like children and get a free ride because of it.

I'm pretty sure this has been proven/pointed out multiple times in this very thread.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Cernunnos posted:

I think you'll find that most of these people are not children and are, in fact, full grown adults who merely act like children and get a free ride because of it.

I'm pretty sure this has been proven/pointed out multiple times in this very thread.

As well as the Minecraft threads

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Fine then it is just autism

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Its the internet, its always autism.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Blhue posted:

Its the internet, its always autism.

Internautism

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

Y'know what's more annoying than people who won't shut the gently caress up about their entitlement? People who won't shut the gently caress up about other people shutting the gently caress up. Idiots who comment angrily on blog posts thrive on attention, mostly from the people they are trying to be angry at, and being posted all over one of the few civil places gives them that attention. "Haha look at X forum being bad at community discussion!" can only be funny for so long before it starts stifling the people making fun of it because it's all they talk about inbetween mod developer posts.

What's better than reading posts from whiny babies on the Starbound forums? Reading them twice apparently. Thanks for your insight.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Majestic!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Adorable. :3:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Amazing.

ThreeLeggedHyena
Jan 27, 2009

The big ones punch with the force of a thousand exploding suns if you aggro them, though, right?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ThreeLeggedHyena posted:

The big ones punch with the force of a thousand exploding suns if you aggro them, though, right?

And the little ones belly-slide into you, right?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I saw someone dressed up in a Teddy Graham bear costume today. Now I suddenly have the urge to learn how to sprite and mod and make a race of animatronic woodland creatures that somehow got the glitch code/programming and are wandering around the universe murdering things in the happiest sing-songiest way possible.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

[YOU DIED]

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Next step; you need to make them drop green or purple moss clumps on death.

edit: or have a black wisp-like form with white eyes and white light emanate from the corpse as it's falling apart.

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 27, 2014

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Ulvirich posted:

Next step; you need to make them drop green or purple moss clumps on death.

edit: or have a black wisp-like form with white eyes and white light emanate from the corpse as it's falling apart.

They drop Gold Pine Resin! :science:

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Hey, any of y'all ever played dark souls??? I have, and,

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
All of these things can be done, and more :haw:

Working on the attack animation right now

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Varinn posted:

Hey, any of y'all ever played dark souls??? I have, and,

Never heard of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Omni posted:

Per some suggestions from our Starbound Modding channel. I’ve been exploring options to make how we do JSON merging better. And I would like comments from current modders on this.

As you’re no doubt aware, currently, the system in place has a big limitation, in that it doesn’t have the ability to address any point conceptually below a list. This has been discussed a bunch, and one interesting result of that discussion has been a JSON patching RFC being brought to my attention. I’ve spoken with the modding channel on freenode and they were more or less welcoming of this change, even though it would invalidate all files which use “__merge”.

I really don’t want two different JSON patching systems running at the same time for reasons of complexity and weirdness. So I’d like to take a vote. If you are currently a modder, and you’re currently using our __merge system, would you rather have __merge eliminated and use the new system, or would you rather I go back to the drawing board and figure out a way to fix the __merge system, which may or may not actually be possible?

• Locked thread