Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Jesus my original point was simply that Subcon could be revisited or reimagined for future Mario releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
In my defense, I didn't read it or any of the posts that followed.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

SyHopeful posted:

Jesus my original point was simply that Subcon could be revisited or reimagined for future Mario releases.

Personally, since they finally have an HD console, I really want them to go back to Super Mario Sunshine. I loved that world.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

SyHopeful posted:

If they were gonna do that, it probably have been for dream team

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

SyHopeful posted:

They did have one of those BS SatellaView sequels, but yeah, I'd like to see how they could do a game that feels more like Mario 2. The game is built to be more vertical oriented than most Mario levels, so it could be interesting.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The upcoming Mario vs. DK game has a really terrible lazy rendition of the SMB2 music, does that count?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm kind of hoping the gold and platinum Club Nintendo rewards are really awesome this year, since you know Nintendo was looking like real dogshit around this time last year and high profile releases like Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon X/Y, Super Mario 3D World, and Mario Kart 8 turned two hurting systems around.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

GI_Clutch posted:

If we can have Shy Guys, Birdos, bob-ombs, etc. in the rest of the series, there's no reason vegetables and other enemies from SMB2 can't resurface. I'd really like to see a new game that played like SMB2, whether 2D or 3D.
Turnips are in Captain Toad's game going by its trailer.

SyHopeful posted:

Sprixies vaguely resemble Subcons, so that's something :effort:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It still strikes me as odd that Super Mario 3D Land doesn't reference Super Mario Land, and 3D World doesn't really reference SMB2.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It still strikes me as odd that Super Mario 3D Land doesn't reference Super Mario Land, and 3D World doesn't really reference SMB2.
Daisy should have been a playable character in 3D Land, much like Peach was in 3D World :colbert:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think Daisy is ever going to get past her current status of only existing for Mario spinoffs

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I finally tore myself away from Mario Kart and have put some solid time into DKC and NSMBU. I must say, NSMBU is GREAT! I'm having a blast with it, granted I don't think I've played a proper Mario side scroller since the SNES. Regardless, I'm happier with the Wii U every day!

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Help Im Alive posted:

I don't think Daisy is ever going to get past her current status of only existing for Mario spinoffs
:thejoke:
Much like anything else that came from Super Mario Land is entirely unlikely to get a reference in another Mario game, which is what I was responding to.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

andipossess posted:

They did have one of those BS SatellaView sequels, but yeah, I'd like to see how they could do a game that feels more like Mario 2. The game is built to be more vertical oriented than most Mario levels, so it could be interesting.

No, that's litearlly the US version retranslated and put on the Satellaview. They also sold it as a cart!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

enojy posted:

I'm kind of hoping the gold and platinum Club Nintendo rewards are really awesome this year, since you know Nintendo was looking like real dogshit around this time last year and high profile releases like Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon X/Y, Super Mario 3D World, and Mario Kart 8 turned two hurting systems around.

If you are platinum, do you only get to choose one thing? Or do you get to choose a gold and platinum prize?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Fremry posted:

If you are platinum, do you only get to choose one thing? Or do you get to choose a gold and platinum prize?

Either or. It's one thing, but you have options.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Has anyone had their Wii U gamepad die and been able to revive it without needing to send it in?

Apparently this is a semi-common problem from googling. I've had the system maybe three weeks, came home one day after not using it for a few days and the system is fine but the gamepad is just totally unresponsive. No lights coming on, won't charge, won't turn on, etc. I tried the fixes with taking out the battery and charging in different outlets but it looks toasted. Is there anything at all I could try that I haven't already?

I set up a repair with Nintendo, but besides the 2-3 week repair time, she told me if it can't be repaired they can only replace it in white, which would really bug me. I'm also considering trying to swap it back out at the Target I got it from, since it's such a new purchase, but I figured I'd double check to see if anyone had any miraculous solutions :ohdear:

e: Also, if I trade back in the console, does that mean I'm totally screwed out of the Wind Waker download I got with Mario Kart 8?

mareep fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 28, 2014

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

redcheval posted:

e: Also, if I trade back in the console, does that mean I'm totally screwed out of the Wind Waker download I got with Mario Kart 8?
If you already redeemed the code then yes, Nintendo still hasn't gotten around to getting games tied to the account instead of the system.

So a question on the wonderful 101. Does the Punch out! bottle cap mean I have to take no damage in the fight or do I have to take no damage up to, and including the fight? I almost had it when I finally got platinum but I made a mistake and dodged left instead of right :(.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Help Im Alive posted:

It's the same fate as Waluigi.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's the same fate as Waluigi.
Well, Waluigi has been a character resigned solely to the spinoffs from the beginning, unlike Daisy, who got her start in a mainline Mario game, at least.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PrBacterio posted:

Well, Waluigi has been a character resigned solely to the spinoffs from the beginning, unlike Daisy, who got her start in a mainline Mario game, at least.

I didn't think Gameboy games counted as mainline anything with the exception of Pokémon and Metroid(but only once).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

I didn't think Gameboy games counted as mainline anything with the exception of Pokémon and Metroid(but only once).

The Zelda GB game gets referenced pretty often.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

redcheval posted:

Has anyone had their Wii U gamepad die and been able to revive it without needing to send it in?

Apparently this is a semi-common problem from googling. I've had the system maybe three weeks, came home one day after not using it for a few days and the system is fine but the gamepad is just totally unresponsive. No lights coming on, won't charge, won't turn on, etc. I tried the fixes with taking out the battery and charging in different outlets but it looks toasted. Is there anything at all I could try that I haven't already?

I set up a repair with Nintendo, but besides the 2-3 week repair time, she told me if it can't be repaired they can only replace it in white, which would really bug me. I'm also considering trying to swap it back out at the Target I got it from, since it's such a new purchase, but I figured I'd double check to see if anyone had any miraculous solutions :ohdear:

Had this happen, called support, here's what you do: power cycle everything. Unplug the console, pull the battery out of the gamepad, hold the power button on both while unplugged for about 30 seconds and try again. It's apparently some kind of fuse system that's reset with a power cycle.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Vegastar posted:

Had this happen, called support, here's what you do: power cycle everything. Unplug the console, pull the battery out of the gamepad, hold the power button on both while unplugged for about 30 seconds and try again. It's apparently some kind of fuse system that's reset with a power cycle.

Agh, I wish this had worked. Thank you though :(

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

redcheval posted:

Agh, I wish this had worked. Thank you though :(

If you want to be extra sure, try it again with the gamepad for close to 2 minutes. There may have been a sequence to it I can't remember, so you might try phoning the support line real quick and have them walk you through it. Nintendo support is pretty drat awesome.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

No luck :( I really appreciate the help though. I may call support again just to double check but I'm surprised the woman I spoke to didn't mention anything about it when I called earlier to set up the repair, she ran through a bunch of other stuff (plugging into different outlets, taking out the battery etc.) before sending me a shipping label.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained
I just got the update for Wii Sports Club (or noticed it, anyway), and got to try out Boxing and Baseball as that 24 hour demo. I was looking forward to boxing with the two wiimotes, but the game moves VERY slowly, and the lag online makes it unplayable there. They tried to add in moves like uppercuts and hooks, but the motions you make for them are very exaggerated. Baseball didn't have any control issues and the catching option is neat, but it just wasn't very fun. Like everybody else I played a ton of Wii Sports and enjoyed it, but they seem like they've been needlessly complicating the games with the Club updates.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Taint Reaper posted:

Metroid twice.

Unfortunately. :smithicide:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

redcheval posted:

This happened to me but nothing I tried would work and I had to just send it to Nintendo. Luckily in the UK the repair only takes a couple of days. I think I got it back like 3 or 4 days after sending it to them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TheThirst posted:

I just got the update for Wii Sports Club (or noticed it, anyway), and got to try out Boxing and Baseball as that 24 hour demo. I was looking forward to boxing with the two wiimotes, but the game moves VERY slowly, and the lag online makes it unplayable there. They tried to add in moves like uppercuts and hooks, but the motions you make for them are very exaggerated. Baseball didn't have any control issues and the catching option is neat, but it just wasn't very fun. Like everybody else I played a ton of Wii Sports and enjoyed it, but they seem like they've been needlessly complicating the games with the Club updates.

That's a shame, I just got really into Club and was looking forward to those. I've played the hell out of tennis this week. I'm amazed they didn't try to go for 1:1 control with minimal lag for the boxing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Trent posted:

So I just realized that my pile of DS games have codes in them and went platinum. So what the hell do I get for it? The prizes are the same as they were before.

The Pikmin tote bag is cute and all, but where the premium prizes at?

(this is my first time using club nintendo, help goons!)

Holy poo poo, my pile of DS games! From back before I knew what Club Nintendo was. I was like 70 coins short for Platinum with no purchases on the horizon. And the sad part is I was looking at my pile of DS games just yesterday. You made the connection for me, so thanks!

edit: Here's a Japanese Club Nintendo code I have no use for, probably good for 20-40 coins. If someone here can make use of it, great! UBRJ 6WSG 7I0W GWD7

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 29, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Metroid twice.

Unfortunately. :smithicide:

What? Wasn't is just metroid 2?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bobnumerotres posted:

What? Wasn't is just metroid 2?

Metroid Fusion, which isn't great as Metroids go. It's not awful, but it laid the seeds for the plot and gameplay problems of Other M.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Metroid Fusion!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I thought Metroid Fusion was balls amazing.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Metroid Fusion, which isn't great as Metroids go. It's not awful, but it laid the seeds for the plot and gameplay problems of Other M.

It's not a good Metroid for exploration, but apart from all the forced Nav rooms, I really liked it for what it was. It foreshadowed Sakamoto going completely overboard with linear game design and story in Other M, but that doesn't make Fusion itself bad.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 29, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

noirstronaut posted:

I thought Metroid Fusion was balls amazing.

Then I don't know why you like Metroid at all. Fusion is barely a Metroid game - it's aggressively linear and throws up walls at every opportunity.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It definitely doesn't. Other M definitely does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

DoctorWhat posted:

Then I don't know why you like Metroid at all. Fusion is barely a Metroid game - it's aggressively linear and throws up walls at every opportunity.

I just thought it was fun. :psyduck:

• Locked thread