Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

oxbrain posted:

How does edge work with family plans. Of you get two phones through it do you get the discount twice?

Sorry, missed this.

Lines on 10gband higher get a $25/Mo discount off of line access. $40-$25=$15
Lines <10gb get $10

20 equal monthly payments + 1 initial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
We're starting iPhones at Costco on June 27th.

:getin:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

FordPRefectLL posted:

We're starting iPhones at Costco on June 27th.

:getin:

Enjoy your commission paycut :frogbon:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

We're also taking a commission paycut on contract plans and I'm the only one at my store who's done any Edge since we launched it.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I went to the Verizon store this past weekend, we currently have 2 smart phones and 3 dumb phones, they told us that with the More Everything plan we can have 4 smart phones and a dumb phone with the 10+GB plans and some kind of Edge credit (up to $25 per line? which they said if we got $15/m phones we could get $10/m credit per line to our account, is this right?) so they were telling us they can give use 4 smartphones, 12GB plan, 4 edge phones with $25/m cost (zero cost with edge credit) for like $170 a month. Does this sound right? Also how does the Verizon Trade In program work? I currently have an SGS4 and my Wife has a Note 2 and the VZW website says I will get $150 for mine and #88 for the Note 2, do I just mail them in or drop them off at the store and they credit my account?

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

SeaborneClink posted:

Enjoy your commission paycut :frogbon:

More like no comms at all...$78 for a 5S? that leaves about $18 margin at normal wholesale, unless costco gets a super special price from Apple.

Its possible, because it looks like Apple is getting desperate,

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

BJA posted:

I went to the Verizon store this past weekend, we currently have 2 smart phones and 3 dumb phones, they told us that with the More Everything plan we can have 4 smart phones and a dumb phone with the 10+GB plans and some kind of Edge credit (up to $25 per line? which they said if we got $15/m phones we could get $10/m credit per line to our account, is this right?) so they were telling us they can give use 4 smartphones, 12GB plan, 4 edge phones with $25/m cost (zero cost with edge credit) for like $170 a month. Does this sound right? Also how does the Verizon Trade In program work? I currently have an SGS4 and my Wife has a Note 2 and the VZW website says I will get $150 for mine and #88 for the Note 2, do I just mail them in or drop them off at the store and they credit my account?

I'll break it down, if you get 4 smartphones on Edge and 1 basic phone, here's how it'll look.

$100 for 10GB of data.
$15 per smartphone ($40 minus $25 edge discount).
$30 basic phone.

So you're looking at a raw $190 for service; if you have an employer discount or anything else, $170 is pretty likely. Keep in mind this is JUST service, the devices are whatever a month, but like they said, there are smartphones for under or at $25 a month.

The trade in works by mailing the phones to a warehouse for processing, and usually in 1-2 weeks you get a gift card code with Verizon fun bucks on it emailed to you. A corporate store can handle the mailing back, but it'll still take a bit to get the credit.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Hmm, see they made it sound like $170/m with the cost of the edge monthly fees. We're planning on not getting the one regular phone now, 2 S3's ($15/m), and 2 note 3's ($35/m), so adding them in I think it sounds like $270 a month, then we get a 20% discount from comcast, which I don't know if the discount is for the total cost or not.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

The 20% comes off of the $100.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Employee discounts come off the plan (like stated above).

AT&T and Verizon painted themselves into a corner just because the 4 smartphones for 160 doesn't include the Edge payments each month for the phones. Its in the fine print.

You can still upgrade in a year or less with Edge. So you could get a top of the line phone for 30 a month and have the More Everything + Edge discount lower it to 5 a month. So after paying 60 dollars over a year you could upgrade again. If you don't need the top of the line phone, I have seen many situation where we basically pay the edge with the 25 credit or sometimes pay a customer a few dollars. This is happening less since we changed the 24 months to 20 months.

The sweet spot to me would be paying a one time price for a contract but making that contract like 18 months. It seems like that last 6 months is usually when phones fall too far behind. I'd gladly pay 25% more one time on an 18 month contract.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Our new house is out in the country and has basically no service. According to Verizon's map, it should, but whatever - it's just a dumb map that doesn't mean much. How well do those local antennas or whatever they call them work? We have about an acre of yard - if I put the thing in the house somewhere, will we have service in the yard as well? What's the best way to go about getting one of these things? Are there better options?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
If you can get just a bit of reception, the network extender can make the difference.

They are expensive, 250. The thing is, they don't require a contract, you just hook them up and they work. Not just for you but anyone else that comes over.

A lot of times, people move after getting one and they no longer need it. So they sell it on craigslist or ebay. If 250 once is too much, you can go that route. Just make sure the network extender is 3g capable also for internet.

The only things to weigh are:

Verizon can back products bought from them, if it works then craps out. You have a 14 day time-frame to return it if doesn't work (minus a restocking fee).

250 is a lot at one time.

So people that live in extended coverage and can get a signal can benefit, other people this thing helps are like people that live in giant apartment buildings surrounded by other apartment buildings, in the basement.

Edit: Last thought, they have a small antenna and look like a router. One guy told me he is going to try and buy a much larger antenna for it but I didn't know how that would work. I was always curious if you can hook a giant antenna onto those guys and basically double/triple the range.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 28, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

If you can get just a bit of reception, the network extender can make the difference.

They are expensive, 250. The thing is, they don't require a contract, you just hook them up and they work. Not just for you but anyone else that comes over.

A lot of times, people move after getting one and they no longer need it. So they sell it on craigslist or ebay. If 250 once is too much, you can go that route. Just make sure the network extender is 3g capable also for internet.

The only things to weigh are:

Verizon can back products bought from them, if it works then craps out. You have a 14 day time-frame to return it if doesn't work (minus a restocking fee).

250 is a lot at one time.

So people that live in extended coverage and can get a signal can benefit, other people this thing helps are like people that live in giant apartment buildings surrounded by other apartment buildings, in the basement.

Edit: Last thought, they have a small antenna and look like a router. One guy told me he is going to try and buy a much larger antenna for it but I didn't know how that would work. I was always curious if you can hook a giant antenna onto those guys and basically double/triple the range.

Thanks for the info! There's a smidgin of service so an extender is plausible. I don't care about 3G honestly because I'll have wifi everywhere. $250 isn't too much, although that doesn't mean that I want to pay it if I don't have to - is there a way to badger Verizon into giving me one? I'm on a family plan under my parents because it's a lot cheaper than all of us having our own service, if that would matter for some reason.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Verizon-sold microcells look kind of crap because of this bit (in addition to the fact that they don't do LTE, only 3G):

quote:

Note: Your mobile device must be within 15 feet* of the Network Extender to connect to it. Once connected, the mobile device can move up to 40 feet* away from the Network Extender and still be able to make a call or use data.

So it seems like you have to get close to it in order to get a strong enough signal for your phone to register on the microcell, and then your phone will try to hang onto it as best as it can if you move away.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/Equipment/network_extender.html

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
Those distances seem conservative but there are a lot of factors that go into this.

Edit: All returns are 14 days from the purchase. Thats on everything and so you might not get it for 3-4 days but those days are still counted.

Favorabilis Solitud fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 28, 2014

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

:stare:

Well this was a fun conversation. Always properly qualify your jetpack customers.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 28, 2014

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

The Verizon-sold microcells look kind of crap because of this bit (in addition to the fact that they don't do LTE, only 3G):

So it seems like you have to get close to it in order to get a strong enough signal for your phone to register on the microcell, and then your phone will try to hang onto it as best as it can if you move away.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/Equipment/network_extender.html

That's pretty lousy. I have a google voice number so I could probably do something or other to have cell phone calls to my google voice number forward to the house phone whenever I'm at home. Use tasker or something, I dunno. I had hoped for better than that.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Well this was a fun conversation. Always properly qualify your jetpack customers.

Hahahahahaha oh god

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I've got an aging Galaxy S3 and something is wonky with its charging capabilities. I set it to charge at 5% about three hours ago, and it's not at 21%. It often takes having the charger cable in a special position to even get it to charge at all. Sometimes it charges normally, sometimes it's like tonight.

I'm due for an upgrade in a couple weeks.

However, I also have insurance on this phone. Would the charging issues be reason enough to get a replacement on the insurance?

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006

To the jetpack charges: I'm still new. I wouldn't know where to begin with that poo poo.

Part of it is always pushing "Heeeey if you use wifi from your phone it doesn't count against your data!"

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I've been doing this for 4 years and I wouldn't know where to begin with it either. My favorite part of it is the system averaging out his usage and overages in the last column.

Does remind me of the first year I started doing this. Spent 2 weeks bargaining with my account manager about $1500 in overages for an elderly customer and by the time I finished and called him to follow up, he was dead.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 29, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

me your dad posted:

However, I also have insurance on this phone. Would the charging issues be reason enough to get a replacement on the insurance?

Won't be worth the deductible.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

SeaborneClink posted:

Huge bill

Reminds me of when our company switched several thousand accounts away from unlimited voice plans and onto regular 450 minute plans - and didn't bother to tell anyone of the change (SMS notifications were disabled for all accounts). Until we all received our first bill after the change, the official word was that we were all still on unlimited plans. I managed to make it a day and a half until I ran out of minutes that month.

$3,000 bills were apparently quite common until we got everything sorted out and people moved back to their unlimited plans. Some poor souls managed to get bills above $5,000 since they exceeded their data plans at the same time.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

FordPRefectLL posted:

I've been doing this for 4 years and I wouldn't know where to begin with it either. My favorite part of it is the system averaging out his usage and overages in the last column.

Does remind me of the first year I started doing this. Spent 2 weeks bargaining with my account manager about $1500 in overages for an elderly customer and by the time I finished and called him to follow up, he was dead.

Wasn't my customer! Just someone came in yelling about how they wouldn't pay their overage, going to cancel service, etc. Okay sure jump in the account, let's see what we're wor-:stare: I literally said "well you could call care and see if they'll cut you a break..." (but it's not likely) on account of it being More Everything, having an email on file means they ignored A) the 50/75/90/100/EVERY GIG OVER texts B) Hey those come as emails too.

Got a phone call later that afternoon from care,
"hey did anyone make a note on this account about having unlimited *chuckle*"
'nope, you know as well as I do that would never happen'
"yeah okay I just had to check"

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
I just got out of transition and still have no idea what I am doing really. Mentors could spot weird billing issues/errors instantly and I am like "whaaaa?". I do have great hours/days off somehow. They are so short on tech they had me apply for it but I don't know what the pay increase is and if its worth it compared to care...

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Thanks for the info! There's a smidgin of service so an extender is plausible. I don't care about 3G honestly because I'll have wifi everywhere. $250 isn't too much, although that doesn't mean that I want to pay it if I don't have to - is there a way to badger Verizon into giving me one? I'm on a family plan under my parents because it's a lot cheaper than all of us having our own service, if that would matter for some reason.

What you can do is ask for a network team to come out and independently verify the coverage on your property. Basically you call tech support, and after going through some qualifying questions, they'll send them out, they'll park in your driveway or whatever, and take some readings. Based on that, you can get a discount, up to free if the coverage really is lovely enough. Keep in mind they only survey outside, so if it's the building itself causing the problems, you'll have to pay full price.

me your dad posted:

I've got an aging Galaxy S3 and something is wonky with its charging capabilities. I set it to charge at 5% about three hours ago, and it's not at 21%. It often takes having the charger cable in a special position to even get it to charge at all. Sometimes it charges normally, sometimes it's like tonight.

I'm due for an upgrade in a couple weeks.

It probably wouldn't be worth paying $100 dollars for, but if you haven't dropped it or gotten it wet, and you have the extended warranty, that's free.

I just got out of transition and still have no idea what I am doing really. Mentors could spot weird billing issues/errors instantly and I am like "whaaaa?". I do have great hours/days off somehow. They are so short on tech they had me apply for it but I don't know what the pay increase is and if its worth it compared to care...

Anything is better than care, nothing gets people on tilt faster than billing issues. I've been taking care overflow for four months now, and some days are pretty good, but others can be crazy stressful.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

SeaborneClink posted:

Could have been worse, We had an AT&T customer go international with an aircard. Left the kid in the hotel with the laptop. Kid watched netflix for like a dozen hours. 21,000$ bill. Wish I'd of taken a photo of that. This was an old unlimited customer who didnt understand international data.

Ended up on our VPGMs desk. Ended up charging her the correct international package rates to lower the bill obviously. But still, quite a shock to get that in the mail I bet.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
My SO has an iPhone 4 on a line that's been eligible for an upgrade since the end of 2012 but doesn't want to spend any money up front on an upgrade.

Based on the $0 - 0.99 phones she likes the Moto X, Droid MAXXXXXXX, and LG G2... Any way to get these without having to pay the crappy activation fee?

Out of the three, which is the most recommended on VZW? We do plan on traveling internationally(Canadia) here towards the end of the year if that matters any.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Prescription Combs posted:

My SO has an iPhone 4 on a line that's been eligible for an upgrade since the end of 2012 but doesn't want to spend any money up front on an upgrade.

Based on the $0 - 0.99 phones she likes the Moto X, Droid MAXXXXXXX, and LG G2... Any way to get these without having to pay the crappy activation fee?

Out of the three, which is the most recommended on VZW? We do plan on traveling internationally(Canadia) here towards the end of the year if that matters any.

Yep, you pay full price for them. That's the only way to avoid paying it. Or wait for your local store to have a promotion where they are voided, during slow months. In some cases you still have to pay it, but you get a bill credit.

All three are generally well liked, but the best imo is the Droid Maxx.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I haven't seen an upgrade credit promotion in forever, it's all been new lines or for people coming from basic phones. If she cares about the camera then the G2 is the best choice otherwise she should get the Maxx.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Just picked up a Maxx today. Any recommendations for a case/sleeve? Preferably through Verizon as I get a discount. Guess it doesn't really matter though if it's cheap enough.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
It's definitely cheap enough. I seem to enjoy this case a lot.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I have an incipio feather case for my MAXX and I love it. The cyan looks great with the black of the phone.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I use the black Incipio DualPRO on my Droid Maxx.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Prescription Combs posted:

Convince her to spend like $30 and get an iPhone 5c. Seriously.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
Ya, free 5c 32 (w/ 30 dollar upgrade fee)til tomorrow.

Who here has been yelled at for stating there is a 30 dollar upgrade fee on a free $600 dollar phone!?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Who here has been yelled at for stating there is a 30 dollar upgrade fee on a free $600 dollar phone!?
Everyone. Because next to no one correlates contract price != actual price.

It's getting to the point where it's not so bad anymore, nearly everyone has had someone on their account go through an upgrade cycle since the change was instituted.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Oh please. I'm indirect. We give mail-in rebates. Do you know how often people come in with, "yeah I want the 5c. It's free online. I have to pay $200 in store? gently caress you guys, that's bullshit!" Lost so much business because we can't match online prices.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

You have to be careful buying used ones, as the system in place for handling activation/deact is half-assed and a mess.

Honestly, if you have the ability to run an outdoor antenna, your $250 is much better spent at some sort of active repeater system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
So now that I'm back on the Swappa/used market - is there anything to the concern about buying used phones that were contracted vis a vis unlimited data?

Just didn't know if anything developed since we had heard the first thing from Ford Prefect.

• Locked thread