Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

jerichojx posted:

Does using the international wechat version make a difference?

No, but if you're just using wechat it might be hard, use momo to look for profiles. The ads on momo will be really obvious, and they will have a wechat number or phone number. Add the wechat number then negotiate on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Arglebargle III posted:

Does everyone in China have an incest fetish sort of how they're linguistically incapable of distinguishing between foreign countries? Serious question.

I don't think this is really a serious question.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you guys think the western liberal consensus that has dominated the globe for the last 200 years, which is founded on rules-based institutions, universal individual rights, and advocates such precepts as "killing your own people is bad" "racism is bad" "discrimination is bad" "personal freedom is good" etcetera is threatened by the rise of unaccountable autocratic states characterized by a lack of rules-based institutions, individual rights, and which overtly deploy racism, discrimination and repression as legitimate components of society and the state?

China being among the autocratic and overtly repressive, discriminatory states of course.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Does everyone in China have an incest fetish sort of how they're linguistically incapable of distinguishing between foreign countries? Serious question.

dis gon b good

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes to all of the above

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

peanut posted:

Yes to all of the above

Is this also you? http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=49610

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Arglebargle III posted:

Do you guys think the western liberal consensus that has dominated the globe for the last 200 years, which is founded on rules-based institutions, universal individual rights, and advocates such precepts as "killing your own people is bad" "racism is bad" "discrimination is bad" "personal freedom is good" etcetera is threatened by the rise of unaccountable autocratic states characterized by a lack of rules-based institutions, individual rights, and which overtly deploy racism, discrimination and repression as legitimate components of society and the state?

China being among the autocratic and overtly repressive, discriminatory states of course.

Not to :godwin: this thread but people said the same things about fascism and communism before WWII. There was some serious talk in the 30's about how Stalin was making a society that worked and how the fascist dictators were taking care of business. Even after WWII and into the early 80's, communism was seen as the answer to the 20th century by a great deal of people. I think if China can last in its current state, its example will shake up things but I don't think it can last. That's not to say we're going to see some Tom Clancy, "Chinese Civil War 2020" but reforms will have to happen eventually because violent incidents keep on escalating in Xinjiang and spilling out into the rest of the country. After Afghanistan and Pakistan become more destabilized, I believe this violence is going to get more serious. China just can't sweep things under the rug or mow down dissidents anymore, the world is watching and the US and EU won't sit back.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I, for one, look forward to the day where USA and the UK get involved and we are littered with daily updates on a billion butthurt people and their fragile feelings.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

blinkyzero posted:

fearcotton got an extension once in like 2011. As I recall, it really wasn't much of a headache at all.

Wow, DHL fail. That sucks.

Yep, got mine extended for two weeks. To be fair in 2011 getting a visa extension was like "do you have money? Enjoy", as opposed to now. Go to the "big" PSB super early, bring proof of your ticket, explain what happened. It'll be like 400rmb or less.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

After Afghanistan and Pakistan become more destabilized, I believe this violence is going to get more serious. China just can't sweep things under the rug or mow down dissidents anymore, the world is watching and the US and EU won't sit back.

I want to believe this, but I don't think it's the case. Under the current economic paradigm, the US and the EU will very likely sit back and let China basically do whatever it wants outside of blatant acts of war against Western powers (which China isn't remotely stupid enough to actually engage in). They can't afford not to. However, if another country or group of countries becomes as attractive or even nearly as attractive for cheap manufacturing and labor, then all bets are off.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Do we have anyone in Guilin or Kunming or has anyone spent time traveling there? I really wanted my multi entry visa, but I probably have to settle for a double in Korea. Not worth it to fly down to Hong Kong for it and risk not getting it done on a Friday.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I have a friend in Kunming and I spent a day there. That makes me an expert, I think.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I have time travelled in Kunming

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Cool. So, dish, i need to make plans soon.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

DontAskKant posted:

http://www.therichest.com/expensive-lifestyle/food/10-of-the-most-unique-mcdonalds-locations-around-the-world/

One of the best mcdonalds in the world is in yangshuo. Hit it up.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

FearCotton posted:

Yep, got mine extended for two weeks. To be fair in 2011 getting a visa extension was like "do you have money? Enjoy", as opposed to now. Go to the "big" PSB super early, bring proof of your ticket, explain what happened. It'll be like 400rmb or less.

What they're asking for from me:

Proof of ticket
passport photo (because they're going to issue a tourist visa)
letter from my employer stating when my last day of work is
police registration
A seal and signature from my company on the application form

And they want me to show up on the first of August, rather than just doing it now.

I think it's still gonna be 400 rmb.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

VideoTapir posted:

What they're asking for from me:

Proof of ticket
passport photo (because they're going to issue a tourist visa)
letter from my employer stating when my last day of work is
police registration
A seal and signature from my company on the application form

And they want me to show up on the first of August, rather than just doing it now.

I think it's still gonna be 400 rmb.

First of August seems like cutting it a little close. But then again that's kinda the Chinese style. Sounds pretty straight forward though and better than getting in trouble for overstaying.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
We're going to go in the last week of july just in case. It isn't like we actually made an appointment.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

We're going to go in the last week of july just in case. It isn't like we actually made an appointment.

Whoever you talked to today? He's off that day and won't have to process it if you come in the day he specified.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

goldboilermark posted:

Do you have PMs? I wouldn't mind typing up a long list of stuff for y'all at the office today.

Yeah I do. Thanks, I'd really appreciate it!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

DontAskKant posted:

What are you aiming for in Kunming?

Kunming is cool. The weather is nice. The food is good. I believe most of the tourist things in the city are related to MINORITIES so if that's your thing, then you'd be set. There is plenty of things to do outside the city, too. Like the go to the Stone Forest 石林.

I spent a few weeks there last summer, mostly in the city center. Traffic was terrible, even for a Chinese city, because they're building a subway. Otherwise, everything was cool. Near Kunming University there's some good non-Chinese food, too. The white person bakery/restaurant in the area is really good (and was blown up a few years back). The Green Lake and military academy across the road are cool for like a half day.

I think there's a Kunming goon lurking around here, too.

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..
I was a Kunming goon! I am now a Zhengzhou goon. Kunming is better by at least an order of magnitude. If you need hook ups for anything (anything from the best massage parlors to the best 'massage' parlors) shoot me a a pm; i still have a nice network of friends there.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

For Guilin and Kunming, I'm looking for food and drink (especially tea and that yunnan cheese) (used to be a professional cook so if i could get a hook up with someone there), nature (plants, rocks, animals, water) , history and cultural things (theatrical arts would be good), minorities could be cool especially lesser known cooking traditions. Thinking about the train from Guilin to Kunming and flying in one and then out the other.

How's the area for getting around tourist stuff for basically non-existent except for some basic travel Mandarin?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I think most of the hostels can set you up for tourist stuff. The first time I went a few years ago, I got to the Stone Forest through a hostel. And by that I mean they charged me to call a guy to drive me in a bus, wait, then drive me back. And god help you if you were a minute late in leaving because that dude had a schedule. We left some Koreans behind.

The Green Lake park in the middle of town sometimes has minority dances and singing and other things like that. And I want to say there is a full on minority performance theater somewhere in the downtown area.

GoKunming might have some info on tours and maybe cooking related things?

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Yeah, I'd have to set up contact with someone privately. Not taking a class, that would be painful.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Having taken a cooking class in China, yes it is terrible. If you can drag someone who speaks Chinese along with you, you could always ask to go back to the kitchen in a restaurant. It'll probably be a dirty as gently caress kitchen, but you can at least watch. In my experience most cooks are happy to go along with it

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Hey gang, it's been about a year since last time I posted this, hoping there will be some interest.

:shroom:For anyone who wants a non-teaching job in Shanghai (and you love cubicles!), my team has an opening for a Technical Editor. I tried looking around online for a current job posting, but they seem to have expired! Thanks HR! I found a link to an old JD here (http://www.expatree.com/bazaar/seeking-technical-editor-it-industry_3657) but I'm not sure if HR even checks that site for applications since it was posted almost a year ago.

Aside from basic things like checking grammar and spelling in the stuff we publish, it also needs to be edited for standard wording and legal branding, global English for machine translation, and verifying that technical and UI terms are used correctly. The office is pretty far from the city center, but there are private shuttles available throughout the city to make it bearable.

The requirements in that posting aren't very accurate, so I'll clarify it here. The main requirements are:
-Being a native English speaker
-Having a Bachelor's degree or better in any major (Visa reasons)
-At least 2 years of work experience after university (Visa reasons)
*The work experience must be from companies that are in some way related to the IT industry (biggest and strangest Visa requirement). I guess because it's too easy for someone to change previous job titles on a CV/Resume, the labor law instead requires the work experience to be in a similar industry to the company you are applying to work at. So, if you did some junk at Motorola or whatever, it's considered more applicable than being a network engineer at Ikea. There may be a way around this requirement (depending on how much the company pays their middleman to pull strings), but it isn't guaranteed.
-Knowledge of English is more important to the job than knowledge of technical things, even though tech knowledge makes the job a lot easier.

I'll try to find an active posting from HR that people can use, and I can also take PMs to attempt some kind of referral.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I have a question related to that info: How do you get by with 2 instead of 5 years experience for the visa? Is it guanxi or some Shanghai SEZ law? We're having trouble getting any foreign hire that has <5 years a work permit/visa since last summer and it's a big pain in the neck for us. It has basically hamstrung our ability to hire junior programmers or marketing staff from the west.

Interns we can still get though, but we technically aren't allowed to pay them.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

LentThem posted:

:shroom:For anyone who wants a non-teaching job in Shanghai (and you love cubicles!), my team has an opening for a Technical Editor. I tried looking around online for a current job posting, but they seem to have expired! Thanks HR! I found a link to an old JD here (http://www.expatree.com/bazaar/seeking-technical-editor-it-industry_3657) but I'm not sure if HR even checks that site for applications since it was posted almost a year ago.

That is an insanely broad salary range. I'll apply for the 150k version.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Hurray salary ranges now. It was always a mystery before... Iirc

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
This job pays between $20,000 and $290,000 a year.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Compensation:
10,000 RMB ~ 150,000 RMB / Month (negotiable) - See more at: http://www.expatree.com/bazaar/seeking-technical-editor-it-industry_3657#sthash.9ptsHT8c.dpuf

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Magna Kaser posted:

I have a question related to that info: How do you get by with 2 instead of 5 years experience for the visa? Is it guanxi or some Shanghai SEZ law? We're having trouble getting any foreign hire that has <5 years a work permit/visa since last summer and it's a big pain in the neck for us. It has basically hamstrung our ability to hire junior programmers or marketing staff from the west.

Interns we can still get though, but we technically aren't allowed to pay them.

Actually I'm not sure...I think from reading poor Google translations of HR's emails about previous candidates, they've been saying that 2 years was enough when looking at candidates.

But yeah it's still been surprisingly hard to find people that the labor bureau will accept. It can be pretty heartbreaking for someone if they're qualified but can't get the work permit.

Also the salary range is the worst place for a typo, jeez. But even if it's not 150k/month, it's a pretty fun place to work and there's non-monetary value to be found somewhere in there.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

There's a typo in the salary range? Is it supposed to be 100k to 150k per month?

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
I hope that job is like 10 hours a week if it's only paying 10k in Shanghai.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Does my internet posting count towards the experience quote?

As long as it doesn't involve uploading pictures...

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Arakan posted:

I hope that job is like 10 hours a week if it's only paying 10k in Shanghai.

Yeah I've had people in interviews tell me they prefer English teaching even if it's a career dead end because its basically stripper money with no hours if you're white. This might explain the number of ABC candidates in the past, actually.

Edit: But really this doesn't matter because anyone who only qualifies for the low end of the scale probably won't be able to get a work visa.

LentThem fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 1, 2014

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Can people say some words on salaries in China?

I was just in Shanghai for a business trip ans I am appalled that fresh uni grads only get 3-5k RMB.

Does the salary scale increase exponentially after a few years? How do they afford to grt married?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't see how that could be a typo considering the comma placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

jerichojx posted:

Can people say some words on salaries in China?

I was just in Shanghai for a business trip ans I am appalled that fresh uni grads only get 3-5k RMB.

Does the salary scale increase exponentially after a few years? How do they afford to grt married?

Parents who made their money in the 80s and 90s property boom buy it for them.

I'm not kidding. China's middle class is heading for a harsh reality check.