Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Astroman posted:

As much as I sperged out over the Valeyard reference and have wanted them to revisit that since Trial of a Timelord, I don't think it's going to happen. I have a feeling Moffat has left behind most of the "Doctor at the end of his life arc" with the new cycle. I'm betting the vibe is essentially "new lease on life" and a lot of that old mythos is dead. And I'm ok with that.

That's funny that you think Moffat is going to let anything go ever without smearing his clever all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
The Valeyard is definitely an interesting concept for the Doctor to be as the 'current' doctor and not some future regeneration. Does Moffat have the balls to do this do you think? It looks like he going down a darker road (I hope) and the new trailer with the Tardis console lit up with red lights could be a little clue.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
They're not doing the Valeyard. They'll never do the Valeyard.

What Moffat is doing is re-re-raking the sandpit, because he's

Stairs posted:

smearing his clever all over it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yeah, having Peter be the Valeyard isn't the point. It's multi episode amnesia storyline not because it will be interesting or cool or unique but because Moffat gets to recreate the Doctor in his image. A new origin story for a new set of regenerations. It's Moffat getting a great big stamp and slapping it down over all future versions of the Doctor.

"He doesn't remember any of that old poo poo, just the stuff I've created from here on."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm gonna laugh so hard when the "amnesia storyline" lasts about ten minutes.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah, having Peter be the Valeyard isn't the point. It's multi episode amnesia storyline not because it will be interesting or cool or unique but because Moffat gets to recreate the Doctor in his image. A new origin story for a new set of regenerations. It's Moffat getting a great big stamp and slapping it down over all future versions of the Doctor.

"He doesn't remember any of that old poo poo, just the stuff I've created from here on."

Which isn't the worst thing IMO. After all, so many people complain about the show disappearing up it's own rear end with old continuity references (not me though, I love them). How it's inaccessible to fans to trot out stuff from 30 years ago and Moffat needs to be more forward thinking.

Well now he's doing that. He got it out of his system, and we fans have had our cake and ate it too with the 50th. I now have zero issue with him jettisoning most of the old school references. I know they are still there and will show up, but I'm not burning for them to bring back The Rani (in show as opposed to BF), The Valeyard, etc. Christ, we had the loving Great Intelligence as a multi-ep big bad, all the old Doctors on screen, etc etc. We got it in spades, now we can move on.

I'm not saying Moffat will or should start to ignore the old show, I'm just saying he'll probably dial it back and that should be ok with most everyone. It's kind of like having Capaldi break the mold by being an "older" Doctor...after 3 younger and younger faces, it looked like that was the way it would always be. But now we have Capaldi. So if the next 2 Doctors are 30, I'm not going to worry, because Capaldi proved it was an option and he can always be old again. Moffat showed us they can do continuity heavy stuff last year, so I'm ok with a few years of doing totally new stuff.

Also, why shouldn't Moffat get to put his stamp on the show? Didn't RTD? Didn't JN-T? Won't the next executive producer do the same? If a person is showrunner with no vision, and they just carefully steward the show as some sort of staid monoculture that can't be deviated from it will probably get in a rut fast and fail like it did in the 80s. Just because you don't like him personally or disagree with his stance on social issues, it's no reason to say he has no right to come up with a direction and plan for the show--it's basically his job, and at least he's a fan and not an outsider. Be careful what you wish for, because the next showrunner might not be Gatiss--it could be someone who's "only seen a few of those Doctor Who shows as a kid and really wants to reimagine it for a relevant modern audience with an exciting new direction" and thinks Geordi is an alien.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 29, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

docbeard posted:

I'm gonna laugh so hard when the "amnesia storyline" lasts about ten minutes.

Just have the Doctor have a mild case of dementia so he has to describe something mundane because he forgot its name.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

computer parts posted:

Just have the Doctor have a mild case of dementia so he has to describe something mundane because he forgot its name.

Or ends up mistakenly strangling his companion on the floor of the TARDIS. That worked out well the first time!

(Your idea sounds funny, though, and I wouldn't mind seeing it)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Two, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Ten and Eleven all had a period of "I'm not quite sure who I am yet" soon after their regenerations. Six and Ten in particular have long "What kind of person am I now?" sort of conversations, without any amnesia. I think it's a little early to think that the quote "Am I a good man?" means "multi-episode amnesia plot."

Given that they've said Capaldi will be a bit of a harsher Doctor, it could actually just be him reconciling his history with his new personality.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Bicyclops posted:

Two, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Ten and Eleven all had a period of "I'm not quite sure who I am yet" soon after their regenerations. Six and Ten in particular have long "What kind of person am I now?" sort of conversations, without any amnesia. I think it's a little early to think that the quote "Am I a good man?" means "multi-episode amnesia plot."

Given that they've said Capaldi will be a bit of a harsher Doctor, it could actually just be him reconciling his history with his new personality.

I'm honestly hoping that the "Am I a good man?" bit is totally separate from the amnesia plot and is him doing something terrible for the right reasons and reflecting on in, especially in light of his past.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
All of the poetic waxing the new Doctors have done so far in the new series has been pretty uninteresting.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I'm honestly hoping that the "Am I a good man?" bit is totally separate from the amnesia plot and is him doing something terrible for the right reasons and reflecting on in, especially in light of his past.

It might be that and there might not even be an amnesia plot.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If 12 can't remember anything from previous who how does he know when and where the big doc party is in day of the doctor

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

He'll remember halfway through his regeneration story, like 8 does. Then he'll talk about shoes for a minute. Then he'll go save Gallifrey.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The same person who leaked the entire Name of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor synopses early also leaked that the amnesia plot takes up several episodes.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Given we know Daleks are early on, I do kinda hope The Doctor has no idea who the Daleks are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WebDog posted:

Given we know Daleks are early on, I do kinda hope The Doctor has no idea who the Daleks are.

"Clara! We're being attacked by gigantic sex toys!"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

PriorMarcus posted:

The same person who leaked the entire Name of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor synopses early also leaked that the amnesia plot takes up several episodes.

Oh man, the memories. I remember reading that leaked Christmas special synopsis and laughing at how terrible and obviously fake it was. Then getting a sinking feeling moments into the episode as I realised it was all true. Can't wait for that sinking feeling to return, this August on BBC!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

CLEVAH

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hopefully it's more of a Pertwee thing, where after the premiere he's mostly the Doctor, but just randomly starts talking about other races and adventures and then has no idea where it came from.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Just saw the 9th Doctor on HBOs new show "the Leftovers".
That was a nice surprise. I always like seeing old Doctors in new things.

Show kinda sucks and I don't even think they advertised Christopher Eccleston being in it. Guess he's not as famous as Liv Tyler.

In other news you guys are making me depressed... Amnesia plots are the worst, and a multi episode one sounds dreadful.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dirt posted:

Just saw the 9th Doctor on HBOs new show "the Leftovers".
That was a nice surprise. I always like seeing old Doctors in new things.

Show kinda sucks and I don't even think they advertised Christopher Eccleston being in it. Guess he's not as famous as Liv Tyler.

In other news you guys are making me depressed... Amnesia plots are the worst, and a multi episode one sounds dreadful.

I'm willing to bet more people saw Armageddon than watched the 2005 series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dirt posted:

Eccleston was in Thor 2: The Dark World, but you'd barely know that if you weren't paying attention.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

WebDog posted:

Man, that reminds me of the stupid and pointless get-out-of-jail-free card of the Daleks forgetting about the Doctor at the end of Asylum. It might have been sort of neat if they had stuck with it a bit longer than the last five minutes of the episode and the Doctor and the Daleks could have met each other "for the first time" again.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Star Platinum posted:

Man, that reminds me of the stupid and pointless get-out-of-jail-free card of the Daleks forgetting about the Doctor at the end of Asylum. It might have been sort of neat if they had stuck with it a bit longer than the last five minutes of the episode and the Doctor and the Daleks could have met each other "for the first time" again.

No it wouldn't have because the Daleks aren't robots :argh: If I delete someone off my phone, I might not be able to remember their number but I certainly wouldn't forget who they were entirely.

I'm still wary of the amnesia plot line, but hopefully my fears will be unfounded.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Kazy posted:

No it wouldn't have because the Daleks aren't robots :argh: If I delete someone off my phone, I might not be able to remember their number but I certainly wouldn't forget who they were entirely.

I'm still wary of the amnesia plot line, but hopefully my fears will be unfounded.

I guess the Daleks have an artificial visioning system that relays telepathic information back to the mutant inside rather than a direct optical feed, so deleted that systems knowledge of the Doctor's visuals means the mutants are relayed data that doesn't compute the Doctor.

But! The new Dalek paradigm has a silly eye in their stalk so I guess all that is nonsense.

I'm honestly surprised Moffat didn't contrive the entire thing to allow him to write the 'first' meeting again in his vision.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Finale! UNIT! Kate Lethbridge-Stewart! Osgood! CYBERMEN!

http://www.combom.co.uk/2014/06/series-8-finale-filming-reveals-major.html

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

You know, without the helmet, the modern Cybermen really look like MoS General Zod.

Also oh look classic head.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Strange that they're allowing on-set photography and official releases. Is this new?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

moths posted:

Strange that they're allowing on-set photography and official releases. Is this new?

That's a street, not a set. And yes, whenever they film in public there are photos from onlookers.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Szmitten posted:

You know, without the helmet, the modern Cybermen really look like MoS General Zod.

Also oh look classic head.

They look like Mark II Iron Man Armor from the MCU to me. It could be the glowing circle piece.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please for the love of God actually give them a good story this time. That doesn't end with them all blowing up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burkion posted:

Please for the love of God actually give them a good story this time. That doesn't end with them all blowing up.

Pick one.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

:toot: I've had my fingers crossed for those two to come back ever since Day of the Doctor. Please don't screw this up, Moffat!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I guess Kate Stewart was fine but Osgood was a completely forgettable example of yet another weak comedic side character.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Chairman Capone posted:

I guess Kate Stewart was fine but Osgood was a completely forgettable example of yet another weak comedic side character.

weak is fine. Weak means there's room for improvement. Osgood was infinitely better than the idiotic big-glasses guy from Planet of the Dead, or that :siren:GADGET GADGET:siren: thing in terms of 'comedic' characters

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Riptor posted:

weak is fine. Weak means there's room for improvement. Osgood was infinitely better than the idiotic big-glasses guy from Planet of the Dead, or that :siren:GADGET GADGET:siren: thing in terms of 'comedic' characters

I actually loved the fanboy scientist from Planet of the Dead, he was easily my favorite part of the whole movie. But I may just have a soft spot for fangirl/fanboy characters after being around that culture for so long.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Riptor posted:

I guess. But I suppose I'm also in the minority in that I'd really be fine with never seeing characters and actors who never worked rather than keep having them return in the hope that maybe they'll be good this time (like basically the entire revolving characters that built up around 11 and/or Clara).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ratspeaker posted:

:toot: I've had my fingers crossed for those two to come back ever since Day of the Doctor. Please don't screw this up, Moffat!

There's been one whopping episode since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

There's been one whopping episode since then.

And seven months!

• Locked thread