Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Stardotstar posted:

I interrupt this wall of text to bring you true, gritty loving commitment to vehicular humor:

That is all.

Looks like that used to be a Honda Goldwing. I wonder how the steering works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Slavvy posted:

Looks like that used to be a Honda Goldwing. I wonder how the steering works.

I'm in for Goonball run

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

There was a pretty neat Jag/Daimler event in town today by the motor museum.
Went round the museum again which can be seen in the album

http://imgur.com/a/dFSCw

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is like filling a fire extinguisher with fake snakes as a joke.

You kind of giggle until someone has to use it, then OH GOD EVERYTHING IS STIL ON FIRE.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The best part is if it's the car I'm thinking of it was a chase car for Thrust 2. Jet car just caught fire? Sorry our fire extinguishers are stuck at the start line.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powershift posted:

This is like filling a fire extinguisher with fake snakes as a joke.

You kind of giggle until someone has to use it, then OH GOD EVERYTHING IS STIL ON FIRE.

You've got the wrong idea. This car isn't about going around and fighting fires, its about going around and making fires.

Or not going around and making fires

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

freelop posted:

Went round the museum again which can be seen in the album

http://imgur.com/a/dFSCw

Is this some sort of Queen's English of spelling? Because they misspelled 'tinder'.

Because of Lucas electrics, amirite?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

The one they used for Thrust 2 is in the album.

Which means multiple people thought it was a good idea

e: this one

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

freelop posted:

Thrust 2...

You guys are making it too easy to just post relevant-ish Top Gear stuff. I present the Hammerhead Eagle I Thrust

poo poo I need to find my "Where's the Stig?" book when I get home.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I liked it better when it was just Geoff. :hipster:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
My favorite part is how the TVR chassis gives it that stance.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

freelop posted:

The one they used for Thrust 2 is in the album.

Which means multiple people thought it was a good idea

e: this one

"Anti-social behavior can be a crime"
:cop:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

:troll:

:getin:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That thing is sex.

Whats with the circles on the mirrors though?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Woah let's go back to the rally! My mate did the Mongol rally. You have either £500 or £1000 to buy a car, repair it across Europe and when you get to Mongolia you leave the car there for the poor mongols to use/repair.

I reckon a budget based on class. So your 4x4 gets $5000 but your miatas get $3000. Anyone driving a pub get whatever the hell they want! We can make this happen people someone get a mega thread up. I believe.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The aussies could do Sydney to Perth.. and try not to be murdered on the way

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I think I saw that one's little brother...

I tried to get pictures of it once the race started but camera phone and fast cars does not work. Yes I am the idiot that doesn't pack a real camera for a trip/vacation where I expect to see amazing cars.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Chinatown posted:

That thing is sex.

Whats with the circles on the mirrors though?

Those are odd. Every page I could find about the 650S GT3 pretty much immediately starts talking about those mirrors. Apparently they are for driver cooling, air flows through the mirrors into the cabin.

Maybe they're speed holes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pivit posted:

Those are odd. Every page I could find about the 650S GT3 pretty much immediately starts talking about those mirrors. Apparently they are for driver cooling, air flows through the mirrors into the cabin.

VW tried a variant of that, briefly. There were little vents on the quarter panels that opened to the interior. They were commonly known as crotch coolers because that's where all the air went.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

VW tried a variant of that, briefly. There were little vents on the quarter panels that opened to the interior. They were commonly known as crotch coolers because that's where all the air went.

What, normal quarter windows weren't good enough for them? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_glass those things are amazing, open it all the way and it's a big old scoop pouring air over your legs and torso. So nice.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Night Danger Moose posted:

Spotted at the local liquor store a couple weeks ago. Only the second GTR I've seen in the wild.

I work at a major STEM univeristy and there's close to like 10-12 GTRs driven by rich asian students as daily drivers. Including two Nismos.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

What, normal quarter windows weren't good enough for them? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_glass those things are amazing, open it all the way and it's a big old scoop pouring air over your legs and torso. So nice.

Also awesome for funneling any and all insects directly into your torso.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

They really are just the most beautiful cars ever made.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pham Nuwen posted:

Also makes it easier for people to steal your car :(

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I think I saw that one's little brother...

I tried to get pictures of it once the race started but camera phone and fast cars does not work. Yes I am the idiot that doesn't pack a real camera for a trip/vacation where I expect to see amazing cars.

That's the MP4-12C GT3, which can be upgraded to the 650s GT3 for $lots because they apparently have the same chassis - it's a body panel / electronics swap, from what I understand.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

You Am I posted:

Mine lock closed from the inside, how do they make it easier? Break the quarter window because it's less visible?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You Am I posted:

If someone wants your car, they're gonna take your car. easier or harder ain't got much to do with it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Pham Nuwen posted:

Mine lock closed from the inside, how do they make it easier? Break the quarter window because it's less visible?

One coathanger, broken in 2, was enough to pop the locks and open the quarter vents in my old hilux, which then made it trivial to lean in and wind down the window and unlock the door.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Ferremit posted:

One coathanger, broken in 2, was enough to pop the locks and open the quarter vents in my old hilux, which then made it trivial to lean in and wind down the window and unlock the door.

My Chevy has hand-cranks for the quarter windows, little stubby ones like the main window cranks, can't imagine that would be too easy to open. But, it has frameless windows, so.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Boat posted:

Also awesome for funneling any and all insects directly into your torso.

I'm scared enough of asian death hornets getting in through my open regular window without funneling them directly at my torso. :ohdear:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

freelop posted:

aww I always miss these. Do they have a schedule of events anywhere? I caught a bunch of Corvettes and some older British stuff last summer.

*edit: Did you catch whatever they were doing a few weeks back? They closed off part of the ring road and as I was driving past all I saw and heard was a stack of TVRs blasting up the road.

http://www.transport-museum.com/events

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 30, 2014

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

88h88 posted:

aww I always miss these. Do they have a schedule of events anywhere? I caught a bunch of Corvettes and some older British stuff last summer.

*edit: Did you catch whatever they were doing a few weeks back? They closed off part of the ring road and as I was driving past all I saw and heard was a stack of TVRs blasting up the road.

http://www.transport-museum.com/events

I missed that one, it was some huge motoring event which had stuff all over town.

If you're local to the area and have a smart phone then download this app
Next event is a Nissan 300ZX owners club meet

Daveh
Jan 18, 2005

You know what? You know what you're putting into our bodies? Death! Delicious, strawberry-flavored death!
The Goodwood Festival of Speed was awesome, I haven't been in a few years and decided that it was time to fix that. Everything from fifties F1 cars to LMP, production hypercars to the new Mustang.

Having these three go up pretty much one after the other was fantastic:

IMG_3820by David - UK, on Flickr

IMG_3844by David - UK, on Flickr

IMG_3856by David - UK, on Flickr

That's a development McLaren P1, Jay Kay's (of Jamiroquai) Ferrari La Ferrari, less than two weeks old, and the Porsche 918 that completed a lap of the Ring in 6:57. Love it!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pivit posted:

Maybe they're speed holes.

If they don't make this noise, there is no justice in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMZrW0p2INY

(Stuka's Jericho trumpets)

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Not sure where to post this but Amazon has a wireless ODB II scanner for under $8. I paid a lot more for mine.
http://www.amazon.com/ELM-Bluetooth...keywords=elm327

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Aurune posted:

They really are just the most beautiful cars ever made.

The Ferrari 250 series cars would like to have a word with you. :colbert:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Daveh posted:

The Goodwood Festival of Speed was awesome, I haven't been in a few years and decided that it was time to fix that. Everything from fifties F1 cars to LMP, production hypercars to the new Mustang.

Having these three go up pretty much one after the other was fantastic:

IMG_3820by David - UK, on Flickr

IMG_3844by David - UK, on Flickr

IMG_3856by David - UK, on Flickr

That's a development McLaren P1, Jay Kay's (of Jamiroquai) Ferrari La Ferrari, less than two weeks old, and the Porsche 918 that completed a lap of the Ring in 6:57. Love it!

Seeing the three of them together makes me think which I'd choose from an aesthetic or design view. The McLaren is too confused and catfish looking, the 918 may be too understated, so probably the Ferrari.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Aargh posted:

Seeing the three of them together makes me think which I'd choose from an aesthetic or design view. The McLaren is too confused and catfish looking, the 918 may be too understated, so probably the Ferrari.

Oh the 918 is understated is it?

I'd have the McLaren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'd have the Porsche. Yank the V8, sell the hybrid system to Tesla and the dual clutch to someone who needs spares for their Panamera. Put the whole thing back with a 7 speed manual and some extra tank space. Enjoy everyone hating me for making the car slower.