Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MothraAttack posted:

Annnnnd they've done it. Baghdadi's caliphate is officially declared, per Adnani. Will leave this to better analysts to sort out. Two things that appear certain 1. It's now just the Islamic State, not ISIS and 2. This claim in theory trumps all other claims to jihad, meaning Zawhiri and all branches of AQ owe allegiance now to Baghdadi (according to the Islamic State, that is).

At first I interpreted this to mean that ISIS had taken Baghdad and :stonklol:

Do we know how Iran is going to respond to this? Beyond "poorly", that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
Can anyone explain the significance of this caliphate stuff? How big of a deal is this?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

humansuperior posted:

Can anyone explain the significance of this caliphate stuff? How big of a deal is this?

Pretty sure it's just :circlefap: by ISIS since they are the big, bad boys right now.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

humansuperior posted:

Are you familiar with Emperor Norton?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

humansuperior posted:

Big picture? It isnt. Little picture? It's an ISIS recruiting tool.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

humansuperior posted:

Islamic State considers Baghdad a core province. Baghdad would the potential capital of Islamic State in case of a revolt, so it cannot be lost as a core province.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 29, 2014

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Breaking on AP

quote:

BREAKING: Citing chaos in Iraq, Israeli leader endorses Kurdish independence.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can their leader really claim descent from the Prophet?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

ISIS is going to lose a shiton of prestige for claims on unheld provinces.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Surely declaring itself the sole legitimate jihadist organization and demanding loyalty oaths is going to damage relations with other organizations, right?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Swan Oat posted:

Surely declaring itself the sole legitimate jihadist organization and demanding loyalty oaths is going to damage relations with other organizations, right?
No, because then they enjoy a "de jure liege" bonus.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Swan Oat posted:

I don't think they had very good relations with a lot of organizations to begin with.

It will probably help their recruitment efforts though.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

ISIS will now be known as "The Islamic State" according to their announcement. Also, all Jihadist organisations are now demolished, and their former members must pledge allegiance to the Islamic State (or else, I assume).

Does this make any difference at all, except to them?

Edit: nevermind, I should refresh before posting.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 29, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Swan Oat posted:

Well they're already hated by pretty much every other jihadist organization, this is basically just their way of saying "yeah well gently caress you guys, I'll make my own caliphate!" *

*With blackjack! And hookers!

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Brown Moses posted:

Breaking on AP

What did the Kurds ever do to Israel to get a kiss of death like that?

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
Isn't that what Genghis Khan pulled to unite the Mongols? "You're with me, or else!"

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I heard somewhere that half of Europe is probably in reality descended from him, given that he lived a thousand years ago and had tons of known descendants.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

humansuperior posted:

Isn't that what Genghis Khan pulled to unite the Mongols? "You're with me, or else!"

Complete with "we are successful, therefore the gods must be with us."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sucrose posted:

I heard somewhere that half of Europe is probably in reality descended from him, given that he lived a thousand years ago and had tons of known descendants.

I'm declaring myself the successor of Mohammed, Genghis Khan and Charlemagne. Where do I reclaim my triple crown?

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Nenonen posted:

I'm declaring myself the successor of Mohammed, Genghis Khan and Charlemagne. Where do I reclaim my triple crown?

Kentucky?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Breaking on AP
Is there a particular relation between Israel and Kurdish Iraq, or is it more of an "International Community" thing?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Brown Moses posted:

Breaking on AP

ReV VAdAUL posted:

What did the Kurds ever do to Israel to get a kiss of death like that?

ufarn posted:

Is there a particular relation between Israel and Kurdish Iraq, or is it more of an "International Community" thing?

I've been seeing rumors about it for a couple of days in Israeli media. Israelis assisted Kurdish resistance along with the Americans and the Shah's Iran, fighting against Saddam Hussein. They even had contacts with Massoud Barazani himself. There's a book by a Mossad operative about the history of that, unfortunately it's in Hebrew and I don't think I'll be having access to it anytime soon. The Wikipedia Page looks kind of dodgy, but has some further sources.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Brown Moses posted:

Breaking on AP

I think this is mainly to pressure the US into accepting a Kurdish state.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Torrannor posted:

Baghdadi can neither produce documented descent from the Prophet, nor does he control both Mecca and Medina. According to CK2 mechanics, this declaration of Caliphate is invalid.

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

JT Jag posted:

According to CK2 mechanics, this declaration of Caliphate is invalid.

Now this I understand.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Brown Moses posted:

Breaking on AP

Good job Israel you just doomed the Kurds.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
How big even *are* ISIS? All the numbers I've seen with this is in the low hundreds to thousands.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Breaking on AP

Let's check with moderate Syrian rebels to see how Israel's endorsement of their struggle has worked out for them:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

Probably not, but ISIS is only muslim as far as it suits them. They don't really care about the rules. They don't technically meet the requirements to go all takfiri on a whim either, but it doesn't stop them from murdering the poo poo out of people for not licking their boots.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Good job Israel you just doomed the Kurds.

I don't think anything is going to particularly doom the Kurds at this point, unless a bunch of state actors suddenly turn on them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sucrose posted:

I don't think anything is going to particularly doom the Kurds at this point, unless a bunch of state actors suddenly turn on them.

Yeah, I somehow don't think Massoud Barzani is really afraid of being endorsed by Israel. It's not as much of a spoiler as it used to be, apparently.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hey babe. What am I doing? Oh you know, just hanging out, forming a caliphate.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sucrose posted:

There's exactly one thing that unites everyone involved in this mess and that is the acknowledgement that Israel sucks. The Israeli government saying your state is a step in the right direction is like Donald Rumsfeld calling up local metro section to say unprompted that your senior college term paper was really great and impeccably researched, and that you have a future in government and then hangs up without elaboration. Most people in the know would look at the phone wondering what the hell that was about and wonder some stuff you'd probably rather they not, even if the whole thing is bullshit.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I somehow don't think Massoud Barzani is really afraid of being endorsed by Israel. It's not as much of a spoiler as it used to be, apparently.

Which is of course not to say that they aren't on good terms as shown, just that its another really crap wrinkle in a regional canvass that's at this point pleated with the loving things.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It used to be a bigger deal before the 90's when Israel and America were both considered to have abandoned the Kurds in '75 after the Algiers Agreement, the Barzani family history with Israel was used as ammunition against the KDP by the PUK. Now a days most Iraqi Kurds embrace a realpolitik attitude to forming a diplomatic relationship with Israel, it's still a thorny issue among the diaspora and Turkish/Syrian Kurds sympathetic to the PKK though.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Fangz posted:

How big even *are* ISIS? All the numbers I've seen with this is in the low hundreds to thousands.

From what I understand: they are indeed small compared to the armies they are fighting, but 1) Syria is fighting about 2-3 major groups at the same time and so IS gets some breathing room there, and 2) they are very well organized, well financed, and much more motivated than the army of Iraq, and 3) there is a good amount of local support for IS, both because of dissatisfaction with the Shia dominated Iraqi government, and intimidation in regions they control. A good deal of their success can basically boil down to 'right place, right time' in the middle of a civil war in Syria and Iraq's internal problems boiling over.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
This 'announcement' that they've restarted the Caliphate is about as meaningful and interesting as a fart in the wind. what, they really think people are going to want to follow them in droves and make their lovely little hellhole vision come true? They wont last, they'll destroy themselves before they ever become too big a threat to anyone else because they'll be too stupid to realize that you need to be inclusive to win wide support, and somebody should hand those guys a history book and show them that their precious Caliphate was actually a multi-ethnic multi-religious society that did things and allowed things they think is forbidden.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 29, 2014

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Just gonna leave this here:

Nothing. Nothing to see here.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Like six posts up, dude.

• Locked thread